Slothrop

A Gravedigger's Handbook: Sixth Article (Scoring) & Collected Links

Well that was a LONG and comprehensive review. Thanks for all the insight.

I will continue to muddle on with Bonsaw rather than Mist. I can miss on 4 dice with either of them! But I feel there are things he can do if he has not got the ball. (There is a potential for a 7" push. Still not managed it.) I have only had Ghast send 2 off the field with the one hit. Brisket was set up to score. Won me a spot prize:D

Anyway, thanks for the review. Looking forward to getting the figure. 
Bill

Another fine review.  I sat and watched one of your games over the weekend where it just mashed up in the middle.  Was really impressed with how Scalpel moved through traffic.

I'm not loving Second Wind as a team-support ability for the most part. I found that I only use it on Scalpel herself.

There are a number of things really hindering her ability to use it on anyone but herself.

1) She wants to go early. Generally either her or Silence are going first. Silence usually uses the only momentum he generates sticking his play(s). This means she's already moved in to generate the momentum and may well not be near anyone she'd want to second wind.

2) The range is super short. I don't see her as a captain that wants to scrum in the middle, so her team is probably fairly spread out.

3) She doesn't really want to tank, and needs to melee to do stuff. You probably want to get her out of dodge more than any other player.

7 hours ago, rnrusa16 said:

Another fine review.  I sat and watched one of your games over the weekend where it just mashed up in the middle.  Was really impressed with how Scalpel moved through traffic.

Was this watching live or was there a stream for Adepticon?

6 minutes ago, Paddo said:

Was this watching live or was there a stream for Adepticon?

There was a stream of the finals (now expired, was on periscope :( ), but I played Obulus in the finals, so I think Rnrusa was there if they watched a Scalpel game.

7 hours ago, rnrusa16 said:

Cool! Sorry if I didn't talk to you much. Yeah, she moves quick. Though, I'm learning that she likes her force pretty spread out, too, so what you saw probably was not what I would have liked. :P

These are really legit articles. Great work.

Quick edit: you mention the following in the article:
"Scalpel, the new Morticians captain, has big shoes to fill. Obulus, often considered the best captain in the game, is at the center of the vast majority of Morticians strategies to date, as well as the majority of complaints from players facing Morticians"

Do you feel that Obulus is significantly stronger than other captains at present, perhaps to the point of being overpowered? Does he need a toning down (and if so, how do you think you'd go about it) or that people just need to deal with him another way (tips appreciated :) )?

|I don't think he is actually OP (to the point of toning down) but he is one of the strongest potential captains available because of how flexible puppet master.  Puppet master (as all of us should know) has such a myriad of uses.  This is what makes Obulus strong.   using the same captain, we are able to play teams that absolutely beat face harder than butchers or a team that plays football almost as well as fish.  

Scalpel is more linear, but I don't believe this is a bad thing.  She is a bit of more of a hammer while Obulus is a scalpel.  Both tools for different jobs.  

Talking about losing Rigor Mortis, Scalpel still influences momentum by generating a lot herself.  If she is getting 50% successes, she is generating a momentum every swing.  Add in Ghast and it goes even higher.  On top of that, denying their passers any influence, captains a full load and generally ruining game plans (which is what I love about Morticians) means you get ahead on momentum in a different way.  Being able to stop Tapper from getting Commanding Aura off stops his team from getting wraps, which in turn stops them from generating momentum.  Obby stops them from storing it which is a completely different thing.

12 hours ago, JS said:

These are really legit articles. Great work.

Quick edit: you mention the following in the article:
"Scalpel, the new Morticians captain, has big shoes to fill. Obulus, often considered the best captain in the game, is at the center of the vast majority of Morticians strategies to date, as well as the majority of complaints from players facing Morticians"

Do you feel that Obulus is significantly stronger than other captains at present, perhaps to the point of being overpowered? Does he need a toning down (and if so, how do you think you'd go about it) or that people just need to deal with him another way (tips appreciated :) )?

I do feel Obulus is stronger than most other captains in the game, but I do not think that makes him overpowered. I think the guilds are so totally different in their ecosystems (that is, how they interact within themselves) that a single player being very good doesn't make him/her overpowered if they're in a guild that uses them in a certain way. I think Obulus is one of the strongest Season 1 captains (just behind Midas IMO) because he, in my opinion, does the second highest percentage of the work (and I mean just work in general, doesn't have to killing/scoring, could be buffs or whatever) of his guild in a given game. That is the shoes Scalpel needs to fill: She needs to be able to do a comparable amount of work in the Morticians Guild for her to feel like a good choice. 

I'd prefer if Steamforged did not tone Obulus down, and don't think he needs it; if they were going to, I'd either reduce Puppet Master's range to 6" or make his INF 5/7. Seriously though, I don't think he needs it and I think Morticians are in a good spot right now. They are one of the strongest guilds, maybe the strongest, but one guild is always going to be the strongest, and I don't think it's by a wide enough margin to make the game unhealthy or unfun. I also think Morticians might be in for a bit of a drop in power level in Season 2 as conditions become more prevalent, since in general we have trouble dealing with tons of condition damage (a lot of our power comes off of damage and take-outs taking place DURING THE TURN, for example) and prefer our threat ranges to stay intact. Also expecting Hunters to be added to the list of Fish and Alchemists of guilds with strong movement penalties.

If you do need help dealing with Obulus, here's what I'd suggest: First, keep the ball un-snapped as much as possible, to avoid your players being turncoats. Second, position your team so that no two important players can be engaged by Ghast/Obulus at the same time. Third, kill Dirge after Silence activates for a turn. Fourth, spread out influence allocation so that when Silence Tucked/Shutouts your team you aren't left with any dead activations or obvious big activations for the Mort player to pick on. Those would be good baselines for dealing with the way I play Obulus, at least. :)

Read this lot over two lunch breaks this week. Your Scalpel article has me even more stoked for her.

I've always felt Graves could be a pretty good harasser. Yeah he's not too momentous, but as thorn in the side I think he has legs. Perhaps run him behind the goal and have him putting bleed/poison on players returning from a TO. Pretty decent range and kick so he could be in a position to collect after a Morts goal and maybe have a crack? 

Please note I've not played with Morts yet, or even got mine painted! 

Anyways, to echo the above - I really enjoy, and appreciate, your work! 

Edited by Lee
wordings

On paper he does seem pretty good. Scything blow plus bleed. Long threat range, decently tough.

Where he falls down for me is INF and his playbook.

We have so many other high INF usage players in ghast, silence and ob. Unfortunately, graves is just worse than them

Hey folks! Took a week off as I ended up having a ton of work and a gaming event to run, but I'm back now! My 6th article is on scoring--check it out and let me know what you think! I'm really appreciative of all the feedback I've received thus far, Morts players are predictably the best.

Hey thank you! I appreciate the thought. I keep meaning to write more, but all the time I could dedicate to guildball I spend playing. I do want to keep talking about our lovely, lovely Morts though-- Maybe i'll at least do battle reports of my Gencon games or something. 

12 hours ago, Slothrop said:

Hey thank you! I appreciate the thought. I keep meaning to write more, but all the time I could dedicate to guildball I spend playing. I do want to keep talking about our lovely, lovely Morts though-- Maybe i'll at least do battle reports of my Gencon games or something. 

If it helps for motivation: I really enjoyed your articles as well and hope to read much more from you in the future!

On 3/15/2016 at 0:48 AM, Slothrop said:

Hi all!

I wanted to make a collected thread for my series of articles while I'm writing them over at Midwest Wargaming, both to not clog up the forum and to keep discussion in one place. I've just put out the second article, with the link below. Please let me know what you think, what you'd add to the article, and maybe what you'd like to read next! I know strategy tips aren't necessary for everyone (and I'm sure a lot of you already know this stuff), but I'm hoping to slowly expand to general Morticians stuff. I just really love our guild!

On to the links:

#1: What to Do With Rigor Mortis
#2: How to Win Turns and Knock People Down
#3: Presenting Threats and the Tug-of-War of Positioning
#4: The Curious Case of Doctor Graves
#5: Scalpel Review and Tips
#6: Scoring

Thanks a ton for the read!

One particularly dangerous oversight that article #2 fails to mention is that CP's suffer from Crowding Out, meaning that if Silence is using Tucked and Shutout while engaged by an enemy other than his target then he is going to be losing a die, but can't due to being at 1 die so his TN goes up by 1 (note that Bonus Time always adds a die and it happens after the TN is calculated for the roll). This can be really critical, as it makes hitting a 4+ target with a Bonus Time'd shutout go from 50% to 55.6% chance which isn't all that great of a use of momentum if you ask me. A 3+ goes from 66.6% to 75%, which is respectable, and a 5+ goes from 33.3% to 30.6%, actually getting worse. Swinging at a KD'd target negates the issue entirely, of course, as that model is not engaging Silence.

The rulebook, page 32, says:

"Common Character Play Bonuses and Penalties
Crowding Out
When making a Character Play, the active model suffers [-1] dice-pool for each enemy model, other than the target enemy model, engaging the active model."

Edited by Khift
Inventing game rules is dangerous... TN's don't go up when attempting to reduce a dice pool below 1 die.

10 minutes ago, Khift said:

One particularly dangerous oversight that article #2 fails to mention is that CP's suffer from Crowding Out, meaning that if Silence is using Tucked and Shutout while engaged by an enemy other than his target then he is going to be losing a die, but can't due to being at 1 die so his TN goes up by 1 (note that Bonus Time always adds a die and it happens after the TN is calculated for the roll).

This does not affect character plays, the TN never goes up. Here's a link to the first instance of that ruling that I could find (second half of the quoted entry. First half is about AoE's specifically):

6 minutes ago, Slothrop said:

This does not affect character plays, the TN never goes up. Here's a link to the first instance of that ruling that I could find (second half of the quoted entry. First half is about AoE's specifically):

That... that makes absolutely no sense and directly contradicts the game rules. An effect causing your die pool to drop to 0 makes the TN go up. That's an unequivocal game rule. Page 22:

"Modifiers cannot reduce the target number to less than [2+] TN or increase the target number to greater than [6+] TN.
•  Instead, for each point a modifier would take the target number to below [2+] TN, the dice-pool gains an additional [1] die.
•  For each point a modifier would take the target number to above [6+] TN, the dice-pool loses [1] die.
Modifiers cannot reduce the total dice-pool to less than one [D6]."

Disregard this, I seem to have invented a rule somewhere... Let me see if I can find it, or if I just dreamt it up.

Yep, I think I definitely managed to invent that one from whole cloth... Somehow, I got it into my head that attempting to reduce a dice pool below 1 caused the TN go up by 1 for each die you would lose. But, no, that does not seem to be borne out anywhere in the rules.

Time to go eat some crow. How's Dirge taste with ketchup, anyone know?

10 minutes ago, Khift said:

That... that makes absolutely no sense and directly contradicts the game rules. An effect causing your die pool to drop to 0 makes the TN go up. That's an unequivocal game rule. Page 22:

"Modifiers cannot reduce the target number to less than [2+] TN or increase the target number to greater than [6+] TN.
•  Instead, for each point a modifier would take the target number to below [2+] TN, the dice-pool gains an additional [1] die.
•  For each point a modifier would take the target number to above [6+] TN, the dice-pool loses [1] die.
Modifiers cannot reduce the total dice-pool to less than one [D6]."

If this is actually their ruling then I'm just going to have to stop following the Lawyer's Guild and advocating a third party take up curating the rules of this game because this is getting straight out absurd.

I had the same complaint for a while, but I think you'll see that if you read the rules very closely it follows what the Lawyer's Guild has put up here. Let's call the rules you've quoted "Pg32" and "Pg22."

1. Silence, engaged by Tapper and within 8" of Stave, declares a Tucked on Stave.

2. Silence generates a dice pool of [1] die.

3. Pg32 says "When making a Character Play, the active model suffers [-1] dice-pool for each enemy model, other than the target enemy model, engaging the active model." Tapper would therefore enact Pg32 on Silence's Character Play, reducing the dice pool from [1] to [0]. 

4. Pg22 says "Modifiers cannot reduce the total dice-pool to less than one [D6]." Therefore, Pg32 (Step 3, above) has no effect.

5. Silence Bonus Times his Tucked play to make his dice pool [2].

The point here being that the stuff on Pg32 and Pg22 about the TN never takes place. The rules in Pg22 are triggered by raising or lowering the TN and give you extra dice based on that, but the opposite order (gaining or losing dice raising or lowering the TN) does not work. 

Ridiculous gaffe on my part aside, this was a seriously excellent set of articles and I have to give my hats off to you for writing them, Slothrop. I am now significantly more terrified of the Morticians than I ever was, and especially of Silence...

I appreciate the interest, folks! I truthfully just have been very busy, and I write professionally so if I also want to write about games as a hobby I need both a lot of energy and some time. My job gets me pretty burnt out! That said, I'm almost certainly gonna report at least a bit on GenCon, my games there, my thoughts on the meta after the event, etc. I might not do that if I bomb out though (cause then I don't feel like I'd have the authority to give my opinion!), so I guess if you want me to write more root for me! :P

Extremely useful and well-written articles!  I'm a new player (both to Guild Ball and Mortician's) and your articles have been a great stepping stone for me.  Thank you for the time you put into these!