Slothrop

A Gravedigger's Handbook: Sixth Article (Scoring) & Collected Links

Hi all!

I wanted to make a collected thread for my series of articles while I'm writing them over at Midwest Wargaming, both to not clog up the forum and to keep discussion in one place. I've just put out the second article, with the link below. Please let me know what you think, what you'd add to the article, and maybe what you'd like to read next! I know strategy tips aren't necessary for everyone (and I'm sure a lot of you already know this stuff), but I'm hoping to slowly expand to general Morticians stuff. I just really love our guild!

On to the links:

#1: What to Do With Rigor Mortis
#2: How to Win Turns and Knock People Down
#3: Presenting Threats and the Tug-of-War of Positioning
#4: The Curious Case of Doctor Graves
#5: Scalpel Review and Tips
#6: Scoring

Thanks a ton for the read!

Thanks for another good article.  This deals with post first turn.  I find I often struggle with what to do with my first turn though.  Often feel like I am wasting activations there.  

25 minutes ago, rnrusa16 said:

Thanks for another good article.  This deals with post first turn.  I find I often struggle with what to do with my first turn though.  Often feel like I am wasting activations there.  

First turns are complicated and really have their own totally unique sets of strategy a lot of the time. I will cover this in a future article for our guild! It will likely be fairly long, there are a lot of options for general tactics. Thank you for reading, glad you like it!

Many thanks for the follow up to the first article. It's well written and points people in a direction rather than prescribe a format. The article continues to make me question my own strategies ( haha makes me sound like I have one). All considerations and advice are willingly accepted so once again thanks. 

Hey Trent-- really appreciate it! Glad it's appealing to folks, gets me stoked to keep going. Let me know how your foray into Morts goes, especially with the unconventional teamcomps.

This really was an interesting read. I'm only a few games into this team and only just getting the hang of not loosing horribly, and this is useful stuff to think about. I'm trying to apply this to my other teams now.

7 hours ago, WizardOfWit said:

These articles are fantastic.  And Alex is into Megagames too?  Very cool.  I keep waiting for one in Orlando, but the event at Dice Tower Con was cancelled.  Boo!

Rather OT but you can run them yourself! 

Of course you don't get to play but you might generate enough interest for other people to run them.

15 hours ago, PIckles said:

Rather OT but you can run them yourself! 

Of course you don't get to play but you might generate enough interest for other people to run them.

Yeah, that's the rub.  Selfish of me, I'm sure, but I'd like to play in one, not run one!

Hey all, quick bump to put up my fourth article! In this one I go over my least-favorite Mortician, Graves. I talk about why he's not so useful, what he's missing, where he might be good, and in doing so hope to show how I evaluate a player's strengths and what I look for in adding a player to a tournament roster.

Also, it's awesome that people here are into megagames! It is definitely off-topic, but if anybody is in Chicago and is interested in playing or running a game, please get in touch and I'll set you up. I think there's a Florida guy trying to make a game happen--if you want me to connect you two, let me know!

On 3/23/2016 at 4:21 AM, Paddo said:

You called it Fishbones! <3

I think it's a good name! Might as well use it now, because (as I cover at the end of this article) I think that style will become common very soon, and will just be another Morts team, not something special with a name. :)

Good analysis of poor Graves.  I do sometimes take him against Fish, as he can at least tackle reliably.  I had a game against Brewers last night and I ruthlessly used your Silence advice to great effect.  3+ defense?  Enjoy Shutout turn after turn!

Really interesting thoughts on Graves. It's true about the playbook, and it's something that's often overlooked for more obvious flaws, like 1/4 inf.

That said, graves is still a lot better than meathook, who has a generally as bad a playbook and only a 1" melee zone. A lot of butchers players talk about all meathook needs is a 2" melee range and she'd be playable, but that just makes her graves. The two characters are otherwise very similar. Although I guess you'd love the +1 dmg vs bleed on graves.

14 minutes ago, malladin.ben said:

Really interesting thoughts on Graves. It's true about the playbook, and it's something that's often overlooked for more obvious flaws, like 1/4 inf.

That said, graves is still a lot better than meathook, who has a generally as bad a playbook and only a 1" melee zone. A lot of butchers players talk about all meathook needs is a 2" melee range and she'd be playable, but that just makes her graves. The two characters are otherwise very similar. Although I guess you'd love the +1 dmg vs bleed on graves.

Interesting comparison. I'm not a Butchers player (and, though I've played them a lot, I don't think Meathook has ever actually been fielded against me), so I don't really know what i'd change about her. The +1 damage, or better yet +1 or +2 TAC, would be an excellent addition to Graves. The other thing, though, is that two factions are two totally different ecosystems. Just because I think Graves is not great in Morticians doesn't mean I think he'd be bad in Butchers, or vice-versa. Especially given things like how influence and momentum are generated across teams, direct comparisons like that are more complex than they appear, I think.

Thanks for the read and thoughts!

5 hours ago, WizardOfWit said:

I had a game against Brewers last night and I ruthlessly used your Silence advice to great effect.  3+ defense?  Enjoy Shutout turn after turn!

Glad to hear I'm helping out! The Mortician matchup is I think one of the hardest for Brewers, I haven't seen a convincing playstyle that can handle Silence's brutality against all that low DEF. If you keep Silence alive I think you can kinda just walk the game in. 

9 hours ago, Slothrop said:

Hey all, quick bump to put up my fourth article! In this one I go over my least-favorite Mortician, Graves. I talk about why he's not so useful, what he's missing, where he might be good, and in doing so hope to show how I evaluate a player's strengths and what I look for in adding a player to a tournament roster.

Also, it's awesome that people here are into megagames! It is definitely off-topic, but if anybody is in Chicago and is interested in playing or running a game, please get in touch and I'll set you up. I think there's a Florida guy trying to make a game happen--if you want me to connect you two, let me know!

Good analysis of Graves as with your other articles. Except the last part which is overly optimistic speculation ;)

I doubt I'll get to Chicago any time soon but Iv'e plenty of Megagames to go to here in England - I'm a bit of a veteran of >50 of them. 

I always forget about Grave's Damaged Target. So far I've normally played him midfield with Ghast. To pretty good effect as well. Their combined size and reach do a good job of getting in the way.

Never really thought about him as a winger before which is interesting. I can see how Damaged Target can even help get him to the middle first turn if you can find a target. Can't believe I'd overlooked that play first so long. He's definitely on the pitch next match.

My first game with the morts I played Graves as support for Cosset. He did a decent job of defending her, but overall it was a poor choice as Sything Blow was off the menu really.

Thanks for another interesting article. 

Edited by CurlyPaul

Pretty sure I trademarked the "Best Faction in the Game" you clown.

Another great article.  I am with Jamie though.  11" threat range, in a faction with Singled Out, Scything Blow and Bleed on any hit.  If I play him (which I am confident I will), I would use him as my last activation in a turn, and put 6 damage on a couple of players.  Momentum generation is not a concern for Morticians, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, sious_69 said:

Pretty sure I trademarked the "Best Faction in the Game" you clown.

Another great article.  I am with Jamie though.  11" threat range, in a faction with Singled Out, Scything Blow and Bleed on any hit.  If I play him (which I am confident I will), I would use him as my last activation in a turn, and put 6 damage on a couple of players.  Momentum generation is not a concern for Morticians, in my opinion.

My warning, based on testing, is that Graves's momentum issues will be bigger than they appear in theorycrafting. But I don't wanna ever tell somebody not to test and play stuff, and if I'm wrong, that just means I'm learning!

Also, American copyright law is complex, lots of loopholes, you'll master it one day I'm sure.

33 minutes ago, Slothrop said:

My warning, based on testing, is that Graves's momentum issues will be bigger than they appear in theorycrafting. But I don't wanna ever tell somebody not to test and play stuff, and if I'm wrong, that just means I'm learning!

Also, American copyright law is complex, lots of loopholes, you'll master it one day I'm sure.

I am never wrong.  Infallible Denison they used to call me. :)