flaming_ewoks

New Player- General Fisherman Tips?

Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to this game, having played maybe three games so far, and I feel like there is a lot that I'm missing as far as gameplay style goes, good tactics I should be using, etc. Any tips for a new Fisherman to help him up his game?

early days you'll probably be sticking to the main guild models (ie. no Union) I am assuming so I'll give you some of my own perspective ... guarantee others will have different thoughts though :)

Fishermen excel at the football game.  Fast movement, dodging out of melee and for board position, and higher than average kick stats across the team - use these to your advantage.  3 goals is the fastest way to a win but 2 goals and 2 takeouts is probably more reliable .... nothing worse than missing your winning goal only to be wiped out by heavy damage teams

Retrieving and passing the ball between players is a great way to generate momentum or improve your board position.  Following a successful pass you may either a) have the kicking player dodge 4" or b ) the receiving player dodge 4" at the cost of 1 Momentum (which you just got from the successful pass).   Alternately you can just hang on to the momentum.

Shark, Sakana and Greyscales all have a momentous 1" dodge on playbook column 1.  This is very handy for generating momentum and improving board position prior to going for a goal or stockpiling momentum to win the initiative in the next turn.

Shark is a machine .... if you win initiative then most of the time, with a full stack of influence he is in a position to go for goal or retrieve the ball ... and go for goal.

Turn 1 goals are a thing with Fishermen.  Shark has a 23" goal threat and Angel has 18" .. these are generally your go to selections if you want to score early.  I personally like Shark in this instance but Angel has her good points (high DEF, more dice on the kick etc)

Dont get drawn into a beat down game against players with a long damage track or tough hide.   For the most part the damage options available to Fishermen deal 1-2 damage.  Tough Hide will ignore a playbook damage result of 1, and dealing 1 damage per hit is just going to take way too long .... instead, target lower health, lower armour players (mascots etc) as they will be easier to take out as well as making a significant dent in some of the combinations and synergies available to your opponent's team.  

Our own mascot, Salt, is both an advantage and a disadvantage.   He's got some synergy with Angel (+1 DEF) and Jac (let's him do a 7" out of activation dodge when inside 10" of Jac) but other than that he doesn't really bring anything like Tooled Up (Marbles), Bag of Coffers (Coin), Attack Support / Assist (Princess with Brisket or Boiler).   The up side of this is that if he/she gets Taken Out then your play style for the most part is unaffected.

Make good use of Jac.  He can push players 6" without rolling a dice.   Spend 1 INF for Ramming Speed, Jog 5" (or Sprint 8" for another 1 INF) and get base to base with your opponent's models.  They will suffer a 2" Push directly away from Jac when he gets base to base with them and then he can spend 1 Momentum for his Heroic Play (Trident Tested) so that all enemies within 3" get Pushed 4" directly away ... if you can set this up close to the board edge then you can get some easy take outs.

Fish Tactica can go pretty deep so that's a quick overview of some things I look for.

Shano, only one point: good positioned Angel and Sakana can achieve 26' adding superkick or cover (smoking himself). As you say Shark has 23' there are 6' that has been done with 5 INF but that can be placed in friendly models, so on Angel, isn't it? I've done that on Sakana using cover last game I made and works very well). And if Angel starts near Shark she can give 1/1 more of INF that can be very useful for this combo.

For the rest thanks, it's always good to hear veteran players.

Jac is awesome :) I need him! But I've not him yet.

Also I like Siren with her Seduced and Lure, which could be very useful but not always. Kraken give her +1 on ARM that's good as she is very squishy, and he gives you 1MP in first column with KD. First I was reliant on have him out of the pitch due to that, but once I done that I see that it works also pretty well, I search MP on passes and dodges, and that's fine also for me.

I've been played for a short time also, but trying different combinations, I guess Sakana is a very good option as he is flexible and can do whatever you need (he is very well scoring)Grayscales is more for go out of combat, and move very fast over the pitch, useful on move the ball around.

Salt....well, I use it for the +1DEF on Angel, and that's all. But I like it as a model, only for paint.

Not sure I understand anyone's threat range numbers in this thread - Shark can sprint a total of 15" (so gets the goal in 23") but that costs him all 6 influence, so with nothing left to shoot, so unaided, he really threats 21".

Unaided, Sakana and Angel both threat 18" with (cover / Supershot). Shark can add a huge amount of threat range to either though, if you're willing to spend the influence, and receiving a pass can add a 4" dodge out of activation to anyone's goal threat range, so I guess overall threat ranges (assuming you're willing to spend the resources) are:

Shark 25"

Angel and Sakana 28" (in a Shark Team)

So preventing you taking a first turn shot is really hard when receiving, and pretty hard when kicking...

Yeah you have reason, I've missed 2' in my account ;)

8' MOV+8'KICK+2' and 4' from Shark+2' for superkick/cover+4' dodge receiving a pass but you need lot's of influence and at least 2MP (you can generate one with the pass but you still need another one -perhaps attacking someone near the goal and dodging then?-).

The main skill to develop in my experience is to think in terms of turns, not activations, as well as ending your turn in a way that lets you act efficiently in the next turn as well. It's like snooker or pool: you have to be able to pot a ball to score points, but it takes being able to pot a lot of them in succession to be a good player. In order to score you need Inf, Mom, a good position and the ball. In order to score a second or third time, or even to score the first if you're kicking off, that means you also need to recover the ball. None of this works out if you just think from one activation to the next. This really goes for every Guild, though each has their own specific things to look out for. Scoring and getting the ball back just happens to be what matters to us Fish most.

To give a simple example, it's perfectly possible that if you are receiving you can score a goal with your very first activation: you just have to get Shark to generate a Mom on the way, which he can do if your opponent's Kick-off didn't go too well. If you do that however, your opponent will get to bring the ball back in play with a goal kick while 5 of your 6 players are still in your deployment zone and the 6th already activated: it's going to be pretty hard to quickly recover the ball from that position. And you'll have used a lot of Inf from Shark for very little Mom in return and will be hard pressed to generate enough to stand a chance of winning initiative in the second turn, especially if all his players proceed to gang up on Shark and beat the snot out of him. If you build up your turn so you score in your 5th or 6th activation however, and get someone like Angel to do it so Shark can churn out more Mom during his activation you'll have a bunch of models ready to threaten the entire area of the pitch the ball will get kicked back in to and you'll have a bigger bonus for your next starting roll. The first point is the least important, the most important one is the 12th. Don't plan for scoring points, plan for scoring 12 in the least amount of activations.

3 hours ago, FearLord said:

Not sure I understand anyone's threat range numbers in this thread - Shark can sprint a total of 15" (so gets the goal in 23") but that costs him all 6 influence, so with nothing left to shoot, so unaided, he really threats 21".

Quick Foot (2), Charge 11" (2), Momentous Tidal Surge 4", Buy an attack (1), Momentous 1" dodge ... shoot (1).  Total INF 6, Total threat 24" with 2 Momentum available for the shot and Bonus Time! ... naturally I am talking about an ideal scenario here but it's possible to do in the first activation unaided.

Thanks for all the feedback! The six that I've been playing lately are Shark, Salt, Angel, Sakana, Jac, and Fangtooth. I picked up Fangtooth because of his interaction with Shark and Angel (lightfooted), but I find that I'm clustering those three up alot, same goes for Jac and Salt, and Kraken and Siren, when I play them. I think I need to work on my placement alot. 

Fangtooth middle flanked by Shark and Angel.   Siren and Jac on a wing together. Salt can hang near Angel.

Use Lure on Siren to bring people towards the edge and have Jac push them off :)

It's all about board time and practice

Here's another tip ... dont forget that Tidal Surge can be used on opponents' models.  

Dodging someone 4" towards a board edge can make a huge difference, or dodging someone out of the way of a goal shot etc (such as Tenderiser) can improve your chances to hit.

35 minutes ago, flaming_ewoks said:

Yeah that makes sense. i didn't realize hitting someone off a board edge counted as a take out, that's pretty sweet.

cant move them off voluntarily (ie. Tidal Surge, Seduced etc where you take control of them) but you can use Pushes. 

This is where Jac (Trident Tested), Kraken (Release the ...) and Fangtooth (The Unmasking) really come into their own.

When any part of the base is off the board the model suffers the Taken Out condition.  This was recently clarified to also generate momentum and trigger abilities, plot cards etc where a model suffers the Taken Out condition as a result of an attack or play (ie. Vengeance, Loved Creature etc)

7 hours ago, Shano said:

cant move them off voluntarily (ie. Tidal Surge, Seduced etc where you take control of them) but you can use Pushes. 

This is where Jac (Trident Tested), Kraken (Release the ...) and Fangtooth (The Unmasking) really come into their own.

When any part of the base is off the board the model suffers the Taken Out condition.  This was recently clarified to also generate momentum and trigger abilities, plot cards etc where a model suffers the Taken Out condition as a result of an attack or play (ie. Vengeance, Loved Creature etc)

Wait whaaat? Where was it clarified to generate momentum? I was always told it didn't...

Here: 

I joint part of interest:

Pushed off the pitch

a model being Taken Out due to being pushed off the pitch by an opponent counts as having been caused by the enemy, 

• A model gains MP for the friendly team if it pushes an enemy model off the pitch causing it to be Taken Out; and
  • The Vengeance plot card can be revealed in response to having a friendly model suffer the Taken Out condition as a result of being pushed off the pitch by an enemy model.  The previous clarification which contradicts this has been removed.
  • Loved Creature triggers if pushed of the pitch

Very good advice here already.

I will reiterate what was said about Momentum, ESPECIALLY Teamwork plays with passes - Snap Shot, Give and Go, Pass and Move. I think once I clicked on to those (along with efficient momentum use in general), I went from a 9 game losing streak to a 10+ game winning streak.

So I am rather new myself, only playing a couple full games. I found I am a large fan of this line-up:

shark

salt

angel

siren

jac

greyscales

each time I play, a different character becomes the mvp. Last game siren charged, wrapped once triggering her 2xGB play, forcing the model to pass the ball to angel, then I 1" pushed myself to get in the way so the model couldn't charge. Secured me the game after denying a key goal.

Angel has been amazing for me, scoring just as often as shark. Positioning is very key to her, but. At her worst she is a fantastic ball stealer. 

I tried Sakana and I think I just didn't get the right use out of him. Jac has been great and I love the jac/siren/sideline threat. 

Greyscale is freakin amazeballs and I use him when I need to hold onto the ball for the rest of the turn but can't score.

salt has actually been really good. Such high mobility I can easy pass him the ball then run across the pitch and drop to shark or angel 

I want to try kraken in place of jac, but idk how I feel about his playstyle. Tips? Recommendations?

i have a thing against Union... I kinda refuse to use fangtooth despite his usefulness lol