Jump to content
Woodrow

Corsair is legit

Recommended Posts

Had my first game with Corsair last night. Dude is a beast!

Lineup:
Corsair
Salt
Greyscales
Sakana
Jac
Kraken

Highlights:
Turn one, Corsair received a pass, elected to dodge forward 4" to get range on a fully loaded Midas. Charged Midas and did decent damage, trying to anchor the middle of the pitch. Unfortunately, that meant 4 Alchemists ganged up on him, and eventually he was taken out. Took a lot of resources however. 

Greyscales was able to get around the scrum in the middle to score late turn 2. Won the initiative turn 3, was able to score a snap shot goal with Greyscales. Late in the turn, Corsair was in combat with Midas, who had the ball. Corsair tackles the ball, knocks down Midas, jogs up the field, uses his Legendary, passes to Sakana, who snapshots for the winning goal! 

I really like this guy, he enables the team so much more than greedy Shark. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been playing him a lot and agree with the fact that he is legit and will out ball everyone.  However...  If you are playing against a team who cares not for the ball and actively does things to keep it away, he can run into issues.  I went against a Rage team that cleaned my clock because he was always dropping the ball and kicking it away.  Sure, scatters went in his favor, and on reflection, there were some smarter moves to be made on my end, but it was rough.  As valuable as Kraken is, he is not good to have around Fangtooth and Gutter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I witnessed this victory in all it's glory first hand, it was awesome. Legends have it that game winning goal was a "screamer" to boot, (yes, that was intentional).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read that Kraken is a no go against the likes of Butchers and Alchemist. I'm not sold on a line up w/out Kraken, he seems to at least draw attention from the Strikers.

Also, someone mentioned  a way to deter Corsair is to push him all over the field, keeping him away from the action. Especially with a Fish on Fish game. Have you experienced this with him, Waza? What are some ways you protect him from the gang up, or being taken out of the mix?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jorenm said:

Corsair definitely isn't an "all comers" captain like Shark is. Dropping him into Butchers is basically suicide.

I really don't see that. If you take out Ox, the murder ball loses a lot of power. If you Harpoon Ox into Corsair and beat him up, then send Gutter in fully loaded afterwards, he's off the pitch if they don't heal him during the activation in between. It should not be hard to take him off the board with Corsair. Without Ox there, I really don't see the other Butchers getting through Corsair very fast... Certainly not fast enough to matter if they are leaving my strikers alone...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jorenm said:

Corsair definitely isn't an "all comers" captain like Shark is. Dropping him into Butchers is basically suicide.

No Captain In this game unmatched, every Captain played right Is good. Watch Mat Hart play BattleHammer on their Youtube channel to see Corsair smash Butchers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2016 at 8:14 PM, Kueller said:

No Captain In this game unmatched, every Captain played right Is good. Watch Mat Hart play BattleHammer on their Youtube channel to see Corsair smash Butchers.

I've also beaten Butchers with Corsair, but no offense to the Battlehammer guys or my opponent but I don't think that they are top tier players.   

I played a game on Wed night against @Sious69  using Corsair and well and truly had my arse handed to me 12-4.   Corsair just doesnt have the board coverage that Shark does to deal with a team who are highly mobile and heavy damage on the flanks.   We discussed it afterwards and came to the concensus that Shark is generally a much better drop into Butchers given his mobility and his movement denial abilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shano said:

I've also beaten Butchers with Corsair, but no offense to the Battlehammer guys or my opponent but I don't think that they are top tier players.   

I played a game on Wed night against @Sious69  using Corsair and well and truly had my arse handed to me 12-4.   Corsair just doesnt have the board coverage that Shark does to deal with a team who are highly mobile and heavy damage on the flanks.   We discussed it afterwards and came to the concensus that Shark is generally a much better drop into Butchers given his mobility and his movement denial abilities.

By this same logic, Shark is probably better against Brewers too.

They aren't big fans of Movement debuffs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daner0023 said:

By this same logic, Shark is probably better against Brewers too.

They aren't big fans of Movement debuffs?

Tactically different though ... Brewers, especially for damage output rely on the knockdown game.   Corsair provides a significant counter against that natively and can hand out Sturdy to someone else for 1INF per turn.  That's a pretty huge dent in the tactical play of a team.   Put it on players with decent pushes, dodges or knockdowns and it reduces the effectiveness.

For the most part, Brewers are already fairly slow which is why movement debuffs are crippling but Boiler, Shank and Brisket on the Butchers all provide significant threat and damage output and the movement debuffs keep you disengaged (or at least, that's the intention)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Shano said:

Tactically different though ... Brewers, especially for damage output rely on the knockdown game.   Corsair provides a significant counter against that natively and can hand out Sturdy to someone else for 1INF per turn.  That's a pretty huge dent in the tactical play of a team.   Put it on players with decent pushes, dodges or knockdowns and it reduces the effectiveness.

For the most part, Brewers are already fairly slow which is why movement debuffs are crippling but Boiler, Shank and Brisket on the Butchers all provide significant threat and damage output and the movement debuffs keep you disengaged (or at least, that's the intention)

That's true, but it could alter your activation order to try to get Stand Firm up on a vulnerable character.

Certainly, Corsair isn't a great target for a Brewers Take Out, because Sturdy and Tough Hide are difficult work arounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, daner0023 said:

That's true, but it could alter your activation order to try to get Stand Firm up on a vulnerable character.

Certainly, Corsair isn't a great target for a Brewers Take Out, because Sturdy and Tough Hide are difficult work arounds.

It's not often that Corsair wouldn't be going first or second activation anyway in my games unless against Morticians and they put Shut Out on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if I dont have the initiative I could activate Corsair as my first activation, put out Stand Firm, get some momentum and stand someone up if they got knocked down in my opponent's first activation.

There are ways around things and momentum race for sure ... I'd personally take Corsair into Brewers but I've had good results with Shark too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pangur Ban said:

Might be different after April 16, but for now we can't choose our Captain from game to game at an event.

Obviously for tournament play you need to evaluate the field before selecting your 8 players ... I was talking about casual / practice games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shano said:

Obviously for tournament play you need to evaluate the field before selecting your 8 players ... I was talking about casual / practice games.

I know, sure. Still, I prefer using event rules (I have my eight and those are all I use) for pickup games. Practice is different but then you're not picking your team for the matchup, you're picking it for the practice. It's going to be interesting if, as rumoured, S2 will allow for multiple Captains in a lineup though. I'm not sure if that would be better, but it'd certainly be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to play the Ox match up with Corsair a bit. I legitimately feel that it might work okay - putting Ox down is a powerful counter to his buffing, and for me Corsair wins games when the opposing team is bunched up around him, while his strikers on holding the edges. Butchers are mostly glass cannons (Ox is not very hard to take out) and they'll lose a lot of power if you can take Ox out before he uses his legendary...

Running around on their own, their damage is a fair bit more manageable. I have a very good Butchers opponent who I'm going to play against soon, so I'll see how I feel about it... Shark has been quite swingy for me against Butchers - he works, but there's little margin for error - a missed goal can quickly lose you the game.

Based on what we've seen of Fillet so far, she may well be a worse prospect for Corsair - lots of condition damage stuff will chew through tough hide fast, and without Ox's auras, there will be little point bunching up so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, FearLord said:

... a missed goal can quickly lose you the game.

Definitely. I've played a sort of demo game (against a friend who's never played any minis games, but 6v6 on a full pitch on his insistence), using the centre to centre rule for Shots on goal since that's apparently a sure thing for the S2 rules. Looking at the numbers afterwards I should statistically miss at least one attempt on goal in four based on the kind of dice pools and TNs that came up (against Butchers with Tenderizer, didn't use Angel but did use Shark). That's not great when playing with a Fish team that intends to win with goals. It was a weird game for sure (him not knowing anything about how to play, me not wanting to roflstomp him) so the numbers aren't much more than very rough ballpark figures, but if a solid player can get that closer to one in three it's going to be a bit frustrating. Wait and see, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×