BigRed

Stoker

Hey, just wondering how many people use stoker these days. I usually throw him in, in friendly games without Stave included.

Stoker for me is always a brute, his medium toughness and Armour 2, is brilliant. I also found him to be a fairly decent damage dealer. Well anytime, i roll dice with him, im always chuffed with the results he gets. The only downside to him is, i dont feel hes competetive enough to warrent a starting place in serious games, his poor influence starter just puts me right off and i prefer to take Spigot or Mash.

Im also not too impressed with his character plays, they to me, cost far to much and really dont hinder the opponents too much.

Has anyone cracked it with him yet?

I use him quite a lot, he can properly smash but is let down by 1" melee. If you charge 1" melee, your golden, but two inch models can counter attack and if they have pushed or dodges, you can be in trouble. 

Burn the ground is useful, particularly with his double push.

potentially I think he might be a bit of a trap, people see the huge damage potential (me included) and go for the 'stoker missile' I think his potential use is as a slower down to allow other players to beat or run around.

i have just come to this realisation whilst typing so I could be completely wrong. 

With stave are near him, and five influence though....

I'll be honest, if i put 5 influence on him, that would frighten me. Might try it once, should hopefully put the fear in my opponents. 

Only player I never drop. Most versatile all-rounder Brewers have. Great 3/6 kick, :T: in C2, 2 armour, momentous :>>: in C1!! His field control is excellent when he can push people away on one success, especially on a counter-attack. His damage can be insane and if you play him with Stave he can load up with 5. Best of all, maybe, is Magical Brew.

He makes my kicky team, hitty team, pushy team and my condition-wipe team (against Alchemists/Engineers).

And he's even better under Esters with her buffing and extra fire cover. 

I tried to give him some love with Esters.  He just wants to much from her.  He needs a lot of buffs to work well so you generally show your hand well in advance and your opponent can react properly.

If I am using Esters he is an auto include every time. His ability to take hits is awesome as a midfield anchor and with esters setting things on fire.... Wwwooommmfffff.  But with Tapper I find it hard to get the best out of him. He has to use his influence to set things on fire and get going.  

Stoker is the man. I've played him in 8 games so far. 4 take outs and 1 goal but he puts out so much damage. His molotov can be risky, use the momentum when you can! but burning is a great condition to really hamper someone's day. It's really fun when I can stack it with Esters rough ground.

Favorite stoker moments:

I have used fire jet to take out both Honor and Obulus. Honor after she reaction attacked and dodged away and Obulus because he was too far away. Yes, it's a lot of influence but it feels really good.

I have put tough skin on him and parked him in the middle of my opponents guys. Enjoy beating on a 3 armor beatstick.

Overall he makes about 2/3 of my lists. Yes his low influence hurts (I also avoid Stave), but if you have 2's it's not too bad. 

I find his 'link' to Stave really annoying. I think with 2/4 INF he would be a totally fine situational (with Esters) player.

Running him at 1/4 feels like I'm missing out on something, he does work well with Esters but as mentioned above he asks a lot.

I'm still going to run him as I like him with Esters with and without Stave but do feel he is just 'not quite right'

I so wanted to love stoker, but he fails to live up to potential. A base 5 tac only able to generate 1 extra with momentum is sad. Hooper can get 8 on his own. Then the damage, hooper wins again. Hooper has 2 at 2 hits, stoker gets 2 at 3 hits. With condition damage and esters, hooper will be more consistent hands down. 

Then the dmg buff.  Hoopers is much easier to set up with brewers right now. KD is easy more prevalent than fire. It is also much easier to take advantage of with reach and higher top speed. 

For my 8 man line up, I'm going to take hemlocke where before I'd have had stoker. Hell, even spigot does better in play than stoker with more ready acres to tac and the great tooled up play. 

Sorry stoker, I'll see you if players come out that do more with fire. 

I think that what stoaker offers over hooper is that he can take hits like a tank. If you really want to theory hammer it's possible to get stoaker to 4+ with 3 armour. He will just sit there like an angry Buddha. Also his magical brew is awesomeness, being able to clear conditions without using momentum is amazing. The fact he only brings 1 influence is a bummer and I don't think I would run stave in the same team. Yes he gives tactical advice to stoaker, but to be honest it is not that difficult for a canny opponent to mitigate this. However as Esters can be happy on 2 influence it frees up another 2 for stoaker to get work done. I think it is all to easy to tar him as a damage dealer and overlook the fact he has a 3/6 kick which is great for moving the ball around. Spigot nearby boom 4/7

Actually in a game last night Stoker scored a goal for me and missed a second (w/ 3 dice .. boo) so he can certainly sneak up there as a foil for Mash and suddenly be a 2nd (3rd) goal threat.

I love Stoker. He does really need someone to set the enemy alight but his damage output is huge. Decent def and kick make him versatile as well.

He's an auto include with Esters, and I normally take home with Tapper too.

5 hours ago, Kryptik said:

True totes, but hooper can also get to 4+ 2arm. Also no slouch, don't forget tough hide

Yeah very true tough hide is awesomeness. I like him in the front line with Tapper and Avarice for triple tough hide.

thanks for all the responses guys. Yeah, i dont use him as a 2nd or 3rd striker, i know his kick stats are very good, however, i usually see him getting stuck in, in the midfield. I'll try him with Esters. I think in the one game ive played with Esters, he was dropped.

I have tried him with Esters, and when you get the Song of Damage (patent pending) and you are slapping a target thats on fire his damage goes insane. Trick is, so many teams have a method of controlling him that by the time you set up all the pieces of his puzzle he usually cant get there. What I have been looking at instead is running Esters, Scum (soon to be the Whiskey Pooch), Friday, Spigot, Hooper and Gutter to replace Stoker. She has an easier to reach momentous 2 damage result, and with much easier set up can generate more momentum, more influence for the team and similar damage results. If you are willing to be patient with her, she can get a total +2 from Spigot and Esters to really start clocking in some damage numbers. Adding in the 2" reach and she has been a natural fit for me on the team :) 

9 hours ago, The Brewman said:

Trick is, so many teams have a method of controlling him that by the time you set up all the pieces of his puzzle he usually cant get there.

The real trick is countering your opponents counter. Once everyone is at that stage the game reaches the next level and things get really interesting.

This is a common problem with the Brewers though, by the time we have all the buffs in place everyone can see what we are planning. 

I love me some Stoker with Esters and anytime I'm playing against a condition heavy team like alchemists.

Esters make him shine to me though 100%

-afraid of being hit? Make him def 4 with his armor 2

-need to light someone on fire? Use his heroic and walk into them

-need to move a model off of a stiker? 1 success MOMENTOUS 2 inch push, 3rd success momentous knockdown 

Esters legendary turn makes him an absolute hidden threat, giving him +1 dmg and def makes him a resilient missle of fire and misery to an out of position opponent