Krihm

8-man Tournament list

I am making an 8-man list for a tournament and I'm making a list. I have played the following list a few times:

Shark, Salt, Siren, Jac, Greyscales, and Angel

Angel seems to be doing nothing. I'm either putting her in the wrong position or she just isn't as useful as I think she should be. I'm thinking about taking her out and putting Kraken in for more midfield control. Jac's push with Shark's gut and string and legendary is a great combo. I think Kraken could add to that with his big push.

Also, I need two more players for a full 8-man list. I have all the models in fishermen and union available. 

Any thoughts on who to add or any thoughts on how to play angel more efficiently?

Everyone is going to say Sakana and I agree. He's great and fits into any game plan. He's great at supporting the takeout game and can score from a long way out.

I don't love Kraken but it's mostly because I feel like Fangtooth is so much better. His rough terrain aura can be really nasty and allow your other players more room to move on the flanks. Also Shark ignores the penalty so he can dart through wherever your opponent decides to leave open.

I like the lineup of Shark, Salt, Siren, Sakana, Jac, Fangtooth, Greyscales and Angel. I could see dropping Angel for Gutter or Snakeskin, depending on what you want to do with the ball at any given time or if you just want to smash face

I like Kraken. The secret to getting the best use from him is to plant him squarely in the middle and slap people. Kraken is the only player in the game (if memory serves) with a combo of knockdown on one hit and 2" melee. He's very hard to get away from, and can take a concentrated effort to remove. I've had many a game where Kraken has been beaten up by the whole enemy team and taken out, but I've then scored the winning goal straight after... If you knockdown players without 2" melee at a full 2" away, they struggle to do anything - especially if you can then counter attack them (as they'll have to spend momentum to stand up if they want to either move in to attack you or move away, and will therefore be vulnerable to either a parting blow or counter attack knocking them down again).

He's less appealing for me with Corsair, as Corsair feels a bit like an enhanced version of him, and I'm not convinced by adding too many super slow players to my line up...

7 hours ago, Frostmane said:

I like the lineup of Shark, Salt, Siren, Sakana, Jac, Fangtooth, Greyscales and Angel. I could see dropping Angel for Gutter or Snakeskin, depending on what you want to do with the ball at any given time or if you just want to smash face

I agree with this, though I generally get more work out of Gutter than I do Snakeskin.

Shark, Salt, Sakana, Fangtooth, Gutter and Jac is a force to be reckoned with but not something that you want to drop into Alchemists (Midas will take Scything Blow or The Unmasking).  In which case you could sub in Greyscales and Siren (Midas would probably take Where'd they Go?).    Alternately, you could sub in Siren for Gutter anyway if you want more repositioning shenanigans.

I really don't get Sakana. Maybe someone can give some specifics on this, but Greyscales is more mobile and Jac has better control. Angel is better at kicking and Siren's plays give something that no one else on the team can do. Sakana's only purpose seems to be that he's good at fighting on a team where you don't bother wasting time poking players to death 1 non momentous damage point at a time.

1 hour ago, fearmemortals said:

I really don't get Sakana. Maybe someone can give some specifics on this, but Greyscales is more mobile and Jac has better control. Angel is better at kicking and Siren's plays give something that no one else on the team can do. Sakana's only purpose seems to be that he's good at fighting on a team where you don't bother wasting time poking players to death 1 non momentous damage point at a time.

Removing ARM makes all attacks stick better, so it's not just about helping out with damage. Sakana is also a better Kicker than Greyscales, brings the only DEF buff we have, and is more resilient than most other Fish players (the free Counter Attack helps with that too). Sure, it'd be even better if he had a KD result or his Tackle was Momentous but all in all he's arguably one of our most rounded players. 

Honestly, the more I use Sakana, the better he becomes for me. Weak point is very useful, as is poised. He's reasonably durable as well at Def 4+ Arm 1. He's very flexible in how you can use him, particular if he starts the turn in some cover. Need a model with a strong goal threat range? Need a model to tie up an opposing player? Need someone to collect a ball and sent it back up field? Need a model with a 12" charge?

Sakana can do all this and more, and can add some momentous damage when needed.

My current 8 has been Shark, Salt, Sakana, Angel, Fangtooth, Gutter, Greyscales, Snakeskin.

Sakana is always in the team, he always scores that vital goal or can reliably generate 4MP from 4INF if he can't really do anything super useful. I like Fangtooth but I may sub him out for Kraken as the 2" melee is awesome. 

Snakeskin is great against Engineers, it is usually a coin toss between her and Siren as to who I take. 

Gutter and Sakana are always great against Masons to work nullify the armour they have.

5 hours ago, SouthernDunedain said:

can reliably generate 4MP from 4INF if he can't really do anything super useful.

This is actually really true and in my view the greatest strength of the model.

Looking forward to trying Sakana out.  New player here so still learning.  But Angel has scored 75% of my goals so far and Shark seems great for generating the needed momentum per turn, plus a lot of passing between Angel, Shark and Siren.

I picked up Snakeskin too.  I want to try out a few other options, but we've sold out of our first two shipments of figs so far.  Fangtooth and Gutter as other Mercs I am considering and people seem to like Corsair too.

I used to play with Shark, Salt, Angel, Siren, Grayscales and Sakana as a 3 score team. I'm now thinking on adding Jac (don't sure if for Sakana or Grayscales)

Angel is a great scorer and give you +1/+1 INF that could be useful if she is near Shark, I used her usually behind some cover saving her from charges and prepared for take the ball, run and shoot. Also Nimble and Salt give her a 6+ DEF which can maintain her safely. She uses to generate a goal per game for me, but also Sakana, Shark and Grayscales are good at scoring for me. I don't mind which can go to shot and that's the worst for the other team, they don't know never with whom I will score.... :)

So far no one will bring the ball anywhere near Angel and I generally have her on a flank to make scoring attempts or back behind Shark to get the extra INF.  I finally got Siren to score in my second game.  Definitely have several goal threats puts a lot of pressure on the opponent.

My tournament placings certainly don't suggest I'm any authority on what to do with the fishes, but for what little it's worth I love Angel as a player and feel I get a lot out of her being in the team. I find she often needs 4INF to be really useful but that's fine because she effectively generates 3 of those herself just by starting within 4" of Shark. Give her the ball and she can score from a massive distance, particularly if you Quickfoot or Tidal Surge her before her turn. With Supershot and Bonus Time you can reliably get goals even when she has to move into an engaged position to shoot and if salt is around and she pops Nimble she can be very difficult to bring down even with no armour. So yeah, big fanboy of Angel and always finding new ways to use her effectively, though I do remember her getting smacked consistently my first few tournaments until I started to get used to how she worked.

Whether she fits into a Corsair-led team is a question I can't answer. I like Sakana too but hard to let go of Angel.

I was definitely using Angel wrong.  I wasn't as aggressive as I should have been with her.  Here lately, if receiving, I have tried to score first turn with her, or at least early second turn.  I then typically park her and Salt 4" from each other to give her the extra +1 to def and pop nimble on her to give her 6+ def.  I have parked her successfully over the midline into the opponents end of the pitch and parked her with little to no problems because of her high defense.