Captain Scalpel

Played this last night 

scalpel 

dirge 

ghast

silence

rage 

mist 

Won though it was closer than usual. Have yet to find a reason to play her over obulus. He just does everything better. Damage, scoring, not dying, has a better feat.  

On 4/30/2016 at 8:23 PM, oncouch1 said:

Have yet to find a reason to play her over obulus. He just does everything better. Damage, scoring, not dying, has a better feat.  

How is Obulus better at scoring?

Generally speaking Obulus is stronger. He may be the best Captain in the game. But Scalpel does have qualities as well: 7/9" movement is amazingly good, and 3/6" is a better Kick stat than 2/6". Obulus being the Inf hog that he is can backfire if his activation doesn't pan out due to bad dice, Scalpel seems less likely to leave you hanging based on dice going against you (yes, Obulus can Confidence up first - for another Inf). Aside from the KD result being in the 6th column and not having a 2" melee zone, which makes her less of an allround brawler than Obulus, I don't really see Scalpel is less of a damage dealer either. And in terms of survivability I'm not sure Unpredictable Movement stacks up against all the defensive tech Scalpel has. 

I am not totally convinced Obulus is better than Scalpel. Local meta and playerbases differ, but the value of having an efficient, multi-threat beatstick like Scalpel in a team like Morticians seems to me to be a huge deal. I have yet to be disappointed by Scalpel in a game, and the more I use her the more I love her. Only in survivability would I say Obulus is straight up better than Scalpel. 

Also: the S2 plot cards favor Scalpel over Obulus imo. Don't Touch the Hair is gone. One-Touch Football and Tap In are in. Scalpel hated DTtH and loves OTF especially.

Scalpel with 2-3 influence can do as much activation control and messing with the opponent as obulus can do with 4-5+ influence. Scalpel can walk into melee, swing two or three times, move influence to enemy models that are further back and damage then Secondwind heroic to safety. And she will have the benefit of slippery when doing this. 

She will remove influence from potentially crucial frontline models, give it to out of position Backline models, do some damage, and give momentum to the team, for less overall influence. Try it.

I feel far more in control of games when I use Scalpel than Obulus.  I think part of that might be decision paralysis, but even so, Scalpel has a very very strong game plan.

My favourite thing I did in a game recently was in a mirror match.  As the last activation of the 1st turn (after Mist had scored, and dodged to a safer position, leaving the Mortician player on zero momentum) I with possession of the ball on Scalpel, walked over to Obulus, used Voodoo Strings to bring him in, and with Tooled Up I hit him 6 times and left him alive on 1 health, win 5 momentum.  I won iniatiative, hit Obulus with my first Inf and killed him, charged Greede on goal and played Steamroller, hit him and killed him, dodged into the bird and hit him a few times to generate momentum and took a shot, scored, Second Winded back into the bird.  8pt activation, could've been ten point if the bird didn't steal momentum away, lol.  She is so damn fast, so reliable at momentum generation.

Her biggest weakness is DEF5 models.  4/1 and especially 3/1 is her bread and butter, but higher DEF she struggles at racking up the damage.

6 hours ago, sious_69 said:

I feel far more in control of games when I use Scalpel than Obulus.  I think part of that might be decision paralysis, but even so, Scalpel has a very very strong game plan.

My favourite thing I did in a game recently was in a mirror match.  As the last activation of the 1st turn (after Mist had scored, and dodged to a safer position, leaving the Mortician player on zero momentum) I with possession of the ball on Scalpel, walked over to Obulus, used Voodoo Strings to bring him in, and with Tooled Up I hit him 6 times and left him alive on 1 health, win 5 momentum.  I won iniatiative, hit Obulus with my first Inf and killed him, charged Greede on goal and played Steamroller, hit him and killed him, dodged into the bird and hit him a few times to generate momentum and took a shot, scored, Second Winded back into the bird.  8pt activation, could've been ten point if the bird didn't steal momentum away, lol.  She is so damn fast, so reliable at momentum generation.

Her biggest weakness is DEF5 models.  4/1 and especially 3/1 is her bread and butter, but higher DEF she struggles at racking up the damage.

Was this with Bonesaw, Avarisse & Greede, Silence and Rage?

1 hour ago, LeadDiceandBeers said:

I'm going to give it a go tonight, I'm never sure what to do with Greede though.

Put him in front of goal and leave him there, unless someone comes near him, then run away.

On May 3, 2016 at 5:17 AM, Pangur Ban said:

How is Obulus better at scoring?

Generally speaking Obulus is stronger. He may be the best Captain in the game. But Scalpel does have qualities as well: 7/9" movement is amazingly good, and 3/6" is a better Kick stat than 2/6". Obulus being the Inf hog that he is can backfire if his activation doesn't pan out due to bad dice, Scalpel seems less likely to leave you hanging based on dice going against you (yes, Obulus can Confidence up first - for another Inf). Aside from the KD result being in the 6th column and not having a 2" melee zone, which makes her less of an allround brawler than Obulus, I don't really see Scalpel is less of a damage dealer either. And in terms of survivability I'm not sure Unpredictable Movement stacks up against all the defensive tech Scalpel has. 

Scalpel is actually even more effected by bad dice than obulus by just having less attacks to get the job done. He is a better scorer because with the dodges and more attacks he can cover a larger distance and with puppet master can score from more angles and situations. 

I myself have both captain and I haven't played lot of games yet, but it is all the same what captain is better than the other. I think depends on the team and who you play against it differs what captain is better. I think both have their own play style and both can disturb the other teams play.

So please stop trying to protect your captains value, both are good. I am want more read about your team and your plays of Scalpel. I am trying to make obulus and scalpel teams so that my friends don't get use to my plays. That is the whole thing of the morts.

Got another game in with her last night.  I ran Her, Dirge, Ghast, Silence, Rage and A&G into Honour, Marbles, Flint, Mallet, Brick and Chisel.

The game was brutal.   It finished up 6-4 because my opponent had to leave, but at that stage, I had won intiative, had honour engaged by scalpel, rage and Avarisse on about 5 hp.  Marble was right behind her and a re entering chisel was within charge range of Scalpel.  

Singled out with Scalpel is just obscene.  Getting wraps on her with tooled up meant she was putting out 7 damage a swing onto honour/brick.  That's out pacing butchers/brewers.  And being able to keep up or stay ahead on activations was fantastic.  Also - Funnest way to stop mallet missile - Send a second winded Ghast up to say hi to him :D  He loves that. Ghast getting to go 11" is scary

So have people been getting much usage out of tormented agony or is everyone using the push dodge results to drag players around? 

I'm curious mostly, think I have used it once properly.

I've managed to get great use out of it on a few occasions and it's one of the first things I now look for when I'm both allocating INF and considering activation order (both mine, and my opponents).

In one game against Brewers she drained Hooper of 3INF and reallocated it to Scum, effectively saving everyone else that was standing near Hooper. Later in the same game she drained Esters of 3INF and reallocated it to a newly returned Spigot before using Unnatural Stamina to redeploy out of Spigot's threat range (and with nothing else available for him to attack). This is one of the more notable measures of her control game - moving INF around to not only stuff your opponent's plans but also keep your own players safe from reprisal. It's an exceptional ability but not as obvious as "Hulk smash". 

I'm also extremely impressed by the range of multiple effect results she has on her playbook. 

More thoughts here.

Oh for sure - it's way less obvious on paper than Knock Downs or even clever Dodge - Push/Dodge options. I love the nuance and subtle control of Tormented Agony.

It leverages a key resource and planning mechanism for the game - regardless of what you're playing into, you have the potential to change the game state. Her Legendary Play certainly adds to that even further.

Also, no complaints about having a Momentous Push/Dodge and 1 damage on three hits! That's pretty sweet too!

So I have tried her out three times now. It took me the first two games to get over the Action Paralysis, as I didn't have good lists with her, but the third game went surprisingly (and killy) well.

In the third round she killed Jac and Sakana, while Cosset killed Siren. Surprise, surprise. :D

Additionally, she reallocated ONE Influence from Corsair to... Salt. :D It was devastating, as he didn't have enough Influence to do his job after that. 

Her Momentum Push Dodge also saved her from a Column two knockdown from Corsair as I was not in Base to Base with him, after that the reentered Jaq got ganged by her and Silence - additionally she had tooled up, which was more than enough to kill Jaq.

The other two kills were Salt and... somebody somebody. I don't know exactly anymore. She did incredibly well, and one of her greatest benefits (in my opinion) is that she isn't so influence hungry as Obolus. Even if you load her fully up she gets two less than Obs while she only generates one less. I will definitely play her again.

Also her Legendary was legendary. The two kills she did was without a single movement. Kill Jaq that was in BtB with her at the beginning of the next round, pulled Sakana and Corsair in, killed Sakana, charged Corsair. It was awesome. Her playstyle is different from Obolus while simoultaneously she has some tricks in her sleeve that one wouldn't expect. When I activated her last, she was able to generate five momentum giving me the Momentum Bonus to start and kill the two. And that was game three. Can't await to learn more!

28 minutes ago, Mattyg2787 said:

I've got a game vs brewers tomorrow night. Can't wait to see how she plays into them.

Still debating what lineup I use.

As far as I can see they have lots of Tough Hide. Tooled up could negate that. So Rage what be a good idea. Can't tell you how to make a striker team,

never had a successfull one. :D Ghast is also a must have alongside with Silence. The Resource expenditure that he forces upon every team is awesome, 

and Silence controls the activation as most of the brewers are round about def 3 or def 4 with scum being the exception with 5+.

With Silence being a must have Dirge is another must have. Well I tend to play the same list almost every time, so I might not be a good

source for inspiration. :D 

I played her for the first time this weekend along with 2 other models on my team.  She was better than I expected even after I goofed and she got her killed turn 1 by Mallet because I moved her up too much.  The game ended 6-12 but at 6-10, had I won the initiative, I had a possible 6 point activation with her.  My team was Scalpel, Dirge, Silence, Bonesaw, Mist and Avarisse/Greede.  It was my first time playing Scalpel, Mist (weird, I know) and Avarisse/Greede.

I came up with a powerful use for Tormented Agony that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere yet. If you are engaging 2 people at once, neither of which have activated and it's obvious you're going to kill your target, strip the Influence onto the model you're killing; it can be hard to setup but when it works, it's devastating.

38 minutes ago, WiLDRAGE said:

I played her for the first time this weekend along with 2 other models on my team.  She was better than I expected even after I goofed and she got her killed turn 1 by Mallet because I moved her up too much.  The game ended 6-12 but at 6-10, had I won the initiative, I had a possible 6 point activation with her.  My team was Scalpel, Dirge, Silence, Bonesaw, Mist and Avarisse/Greede.  It was my first time playing Scalpel, Mist (weird, I know) and Avarisse/Greede.

I came up with a powerful use for Tormented Agony that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere yet. If you are engaging 2 people at once, neither of which have activated and it's obvious you're going to kill your target, strip the Influence onto the model you're killing; it can be hard to setup but when it works, it's devastating.

Not a native speaker, but I think I know what you mean. But in case there are people that didn't understand it like it was the case with me I might give an example that came up for me in several games.

Let's say you play against Fishers and beat down Shark to about 2 or 3 HP.

Lets say Greyscales is 3 inches away from you and gets 4 inflluence. Shark doesn't get any because he's likely to die. You have the first turn activation. You pull him in with Voodoo Strings and reallocate four influence onto shark. Than walk up to shark and simply kill him and four Influence are wasted, you get loads of momentum and kill VP.

I think that is somewhat near what you meant?

2 minutes ago, Cole said:

Not a native speaker, but I think I know what you mean. But in case there are people that didn't understand it like it was the case with me I might give an example that came up for me in several games.

Let's say you play against Fishers and beat down Shark to about 2 or 3 HP.

Lets say Greyscales is 3 inches away from you and gets 4 inflluence. Shark doesn't get any because he's likely to die. You have the first turn activation. You pull him in with Voodoo Strings and reallocate four influence onto shark. Than walk up to shark and simply kill him and four Influence are wasted, you get loads of momentum and kill VP.

I think that is somewhat near what you meant?

Essentially but there is a slight difference (although your scenario is the same end-result).  You can do it without ever hitting Greyscales and Shark having more HP.  

Let's say Shark has 8 hp.  You pull in Greyscales then attack Shark and get 4 hits, you do 2 damage to Shark but target Greyscales with Tormented Agony to strip an influence from him and put it on Shark.  Repeat until Shark is dead.

I think I understand. I never thought about it that way. So Range P means you engage A and B, hit A but use the CP on B? That is awesome. The possibilities... I... I can't actually think about any other possibilitie. xD But that is definitely cool. That would work with rages Concussion as well?? I wonder if that is intended. 

Edit: Looked it up. Only the original attack target can bet targeted by a Character Play with Range P.