Knighthammer

Captain Scalpel

I think it's pretty hard to say where Scalpel stands compared to Obulus before we know her full stats. Especially since what I would call her "signature ability" is tied to a GB result, her playbook and TAC will really define her ability to do what she does. As it stands, I think her list of plays pretty well supports both a high-scoring style (with Reanimating, jogging strikers running around everywhere and being disengaged with the help of Voodoo strings, and Scalpel stripping enemy strikers of infuence so they can't counterscore) and a hit-and-run killy team (though that will definitely suffer versus the tankier teams) pretty well. If she herself is either a fast heavy hitter or a good scorer I think she'll be able to stand up to Obulus.

One thing I definitely expect her to suffer in, though, is survivability. I honestly think Obulus's defenses plus UM and SL is unlikely to be matched ever again in our faction. That doesn't mean she'll be a free kill, but i'm expecting much less safety.

Edit: Also just noticed Raise the Dead is not Guild-only, at least in the Facebook spoiler version. Helloooo Reanimating Mist and Fangtooth.

15 hours ago, Bergz said:

ahh last i knew they were still deciding.

This is fine then.  I am sure she will be fun and a breath of fresh air.  I am excited for her despite all my pessimism.  I get pretty down on new releases, blame warmachine/hordes

But you know you are the pessimistic master, if you didn't feel that way about something I'd assume there was something wrong! 

Maybe survivability lies in the in the more offensive orientated playbook. If she's a momentus damage dealer people are less inclined to charge.

36 minutes ago, Paddo said:

I'm really interested in what her payoff is to pulling everyone in towards her with Puppet Strings.

I can think of a couple details:

For one, you can easily use it to disengage a friendly from someone, which is especially nice for playing a scoring game. Similarly, she can pull Compound and Tenderiser out of their important positions near the goal to cancel their obnoxious bonuses.

Building off of that, she can use her Legendary to pull someone with counter charge into melee (with herself or someone else... imagine pulling Brick into melee with Ghast, then just running past him to score) so that they can't counter. She could also cancel out any Furious players, like pulling a Boar into Ghast's melee so he can't charge OR attack (cause of Fear).

Scalpel can also use it to up her personal threat range on a charge, especially since (if I understand the rulings correctly) she can use a Legendary mid-charge. So, in a pinch, her threat is her max move, her melee, and 3" more. In fact... this might be contentious, but couldn't Scalpel charge someone with Unpredictable Movement or Responsive Play to within 3" of them, then pop her Legendary before her activation ends, thus not canceling the charge AND not triggering UM or RP? She could also trigger UM, THEN Legendary, killing 2 birds with one stone and, as far as I know, still get the charge bonus, since UM being triggered means the charge was technically successful.

Further, given my love for running Ghast and Fangtooth together, this definitely seems like a fun way to set up for lateturn Unmasking carnage.

Final thing I thought of is pulling people away from the ball. Enemy teams chashing the ball will have an uphill battle.

As soon as her card drops and I can see the specific wording it's off to the rules forum for me I guess

Edit: also, cancels assist bonuses like Mash and Esters, or engagement-based bonuses, or auras/effects like those on Tower or Spigot. Also can help handle offensive auras like Commanding Aura, though it's less good for those cause the enemy can just move back a lot of the time. All this without ever having to roll to hit. Like it a lot, I think.

I'm sort of meh on her legendary. If it was push away or any direction I could see it. 

Tormented agony looks great depedning on playbook. If she can charge, do some damage, move some INF then dodge and second wind away, she will be strong. Even more so if she has some low damage and GB results.

Also, second wind and reanimate on ghast is horrific. Charge in, unmask, then follow up to engage

2 hours ago, Mattyg2787 said:

Mostly from those from the 12 hour spoiler-pa-looza.

I know some pundits have the rules but are bound by NDA

We know "some version" of Scalpel.

The version we had of Corsair was close, but Pin Vice was completely different.

So, there is no way to know how much of what we "know" is still accurate.

I thought some pundits had received early releases. 

The original release looked OK. I couldn't figure her out at the time but we will see how close she is soon

5 hours ago, Mattyg2787 said:

I thought some pundits had received early releases. 

The original release looked OK. I couldn't figure her out at the time but we will see how close she is soon

I hope soon. I am hesitant to pre-order until I see the full card.

43 minutes ago, D6Damager said:

I hope soon. I am hesitant to pre-order until I see the full card.

I had my store order her for me.  I will collect the entire guild and playable players for them as that is what I like to do.  Whether she sees tons of play or not is whole new story

When the Steam Forged crew visited my store, Mat played one of the Locals. The Local won and got a Scalpel.

She's definitely different than Obulous. More of a Toolbox Captain that can seriously mess up opposing teams.

10 hours ago, WEiRD sKeTCH said:

When the Steam Forged crew visited my store, Mat played one of the Locals. The Local won and got a Scalpel.

She's definitely different than Obulous. More of a Toolbox Captain that can seriously mess up opposing teams.

If you don't feel that Obulous is one of the best toolboxes, than I don't know what he is. XD 

do you mean her abilities are more direct in their function, but she doesn't have a set gameplay?

the play reanimate is an example of this, where its strong, has a direct use, but is more of a toolbox ability since you do not center your gameplay around it.

11 hours ago, Narak said:

If you don't feel that Obulous is one of the best toolboxes, than I don't know what he is. XD 

do you mean her abilities are more direct in their function, but she doesn't have a set gameplay?

the play reanimate is an example of this, where its strong, has a direct use, but is more of a toolbox ability since you do not center your gameplay around it.

She's a toolbox based off of her playbook. Obulous is a one man army, Scalpel tends to help out/rely on her team.

On 3/19/2016 at 2:01 AM, WEiRD sKeTCH said:

She's a toolbox based off of her playbook. Obulous is a one man army, Scalpel tends to help out/rely on her team.

Hey there Drew.

Played her tonight vs smoke led alchemists. Ended up losing but only started getting in the swing of it towards the end. My line up was kind of stupid being

Scalpel

Dirge

Fangtooth

Ghast

Avarisse and greede

Casket

The idea was to be as tanky as possible. Only problem was he had a lot of stuff to ignore that and lack of influence. 10 a turn is not much.

I ended up losing 12-0 but towards the end it was starting to come back to me. I forgot to heal Avarisse and that cost me the game.  

Towards the end of the game I was loading scalpel up and letting her do her thing. Push dodges with momentus damage, tormented agony (fully loaded calculus is not that good when engaged by ghast) 

I'm thinking my new line up will be

Scalpel

Dirge (at least until I see vileswarm)

Ghast

Silence

Rage

cosset

Between cosset and scalpel bouncing in and out while ghast chills in the middle I think it's strong. 

Shes not the sam power house as obulus but she brings her own bag lf tricks which i like

Has anyone taken Scalpel to an event yet. I'm hoping to do so next weekend and I'm struggling to think what the best tournament 8 is. The following seem obvious choices (or essential at the moment):

• Scalpel
  • Dirge
  • Silence - 3 influence and 2 of the best abilities in the game, shoe in 
  • Mist - reliable goal scorer
  • Ghast - Solid player who can ruin peoples days when combined with Silence.

I'm thinking at least one of of following 3 would be useful, possibly even 2 in an effort to deal damage:

• Cosset - Huge charge range and very influence efficient
  • Graves - A damage dealer with 2" reach which is always handy. Very influence hungry and a weird playbook.
  • Rage - Tooled up Scalpel would be ace

Then there are the oddballs:

• Casket - Casket time is ace but requires a lot of setting up and Foul Odour can be a pain.
  • Bonesaw - I've not managed to get my head around him yet. I can see the potential looking at the card but it never translates on the pitch.
  • Minx - Fast and offers 2 influence and market target, she always seems nice but non essential
  • Avarisse and Greede - Activation order in a team that loves messing it up seems strong but I always seem to get more out of the other big guys

Haven't taken her to an event, but I am running her for the second half of a league at the moment.  My thoughts on a team of 8 at the moment are

Scalpel - Obviously

Dirge vs Vileswarm - obviously until vileswarm and graves are out, this is a no brainer.  That said, I think Vileswarm will win out in the long run.  Dirge for me normally just floats around and gives a crowding out bonus.

Silence - 3 inf, embalming fluid, shutout and tucked - this guy was a staple for Obby and that won't be changing for scalpel

After that, we have 3 facets that we look at for the team.  Control, Damage and scoring.  

There is some overlap between them but I see Ghast, Casket, vGraves and bonesaw sitting in that control space.

scoring, we have mist and bonesaw.  Graves is also a decent kicker which can help with the scoring game.

Damage, we have rage, graves, minx, cosset, A&G and vgraves.

So assuming we don't have the rest of S2, that leaves us 8 players to fill 5 spots. 

With silence and Scalpel being decent kickers, I'd only go one striker by personal preference. 

Being able to have scalpel charge then second wind back to safety is huge so either casket with GV and foul odour or Ghast gets a spot.

A&G Help with controlling some of the game by giving that extra activation, letting scalpel go later.  Also, singled out is really good plus more knock downs.

Rage with furious, beserk and tooled up is just great with scalpel.  She can easily kill one player and sometimes put some hurt on someone else - This guy has to have a spot vs tough hide teams.

Last spot I think comes down to preference, I want to play minx for furious so she will probably be my 8th player.  Plus marked target is good fun to make everyone threaten that little bit further.  I can actually see myself putting second win on her, having her skip forward, throw it out then move back so ghast/scalpel can come in from down town.

On 4/28/2016 at 4:42 PM, Mattyg2787 said:

Haven't taken her to an event, but I am running her for the second half of a league at the moment.  My thoughts on a team of 8 at the moment are

Scalpel - Obviously

Dirge vs Vileswarm - obviously until vileswarm and graves are out, this is a no brainer.  That said, I think Vileswarm will win out in the long run.  Dirge for me normally just floats around and gives a crowding out bonus.

Silence - 3 inf, embalming fluid, shutout and tucked - this guy was a staple for Obby and that won't be changing for scalpel

After that, we have 3 facets that we look at for the team.  Control, Damage and scoring.  

There is some overlap between them but I see Ghast, Casket, vGraves and bonesaw sitting in that control space.

scoring, we have mist and bonesaw.  Graves is also a decent kicker which can help with the scoring game.

Damage, we have rage, graves, minx, cosset, A&G and vgraves.

So assuming we don't have the rest of S2, that leaves us 8 players to fill 5 spots. 

With silence and Scalpel being decent kickers, I'd only go one striker by personal preference. 

Being able to have scalpel charge then second wind back to safety is huge so either casket with GV and foul odour or Ghast gets a spot.

A&G Help with controlling some of the game by giving that extra activation, letting scalpel go later.  Also, singled out is really good plus more knock downs.

Rage with furious, beserk and tooled up is just great with scalpel.  She can easily kill one player and sometimes put some hurt on someone else - This guy has to have a spot vs tough hide teams.

Last spot I think comes down to preference, I want to play minx for furious so she will probably be my 8th player.  Plus marked target is good fun to make everyone threaten that little bit further.  I can actually see myself putting second win on her, having her skip forward, throw it out then move back so ghast/scalpel can come in from down town.

Why no mention of Fangtooth the God of momentous KD and 4 hit unmasking?