malladin.ben

Roleplaying in the empire of the free cities

That looks amazing! Real good stuff. Can't wait to show this to my local Guild Ball group. Did you use an existing rpg for inspiration/reference? (not really a roleplayer, hence the question)

Edit: Can we ask questions as well? I don't get the calculate hp part 

On 01/03/2016 at 11:14 AM, Qgraphic said:

That looks amazing! Real good stuff. Can't wait to show this to my local Guild Ball group. Did you use an existing rpg for inspiration/reference? (not really a roleplayer, hence the question)

Edit: Can we ask questions as well? I don't get the calculate hp part 

Yes you can as questions. HP are calculated by adding together Brawn and Will and dividing by 2, rounding up. You effectively get this many hp 3 times, one set of hp is where you are 'hale', the next is where you are 'bruised' and the last is where you are injured. in addition, your hale band of hp can be a point higher or lower depending on the relative scores of brawn and will. If you brawn is higher than your will, you gain an extra hp in the hale category, whereas if your will is higher you lose a point of hon from you hale category.

Examples:

brawn 5 will 6, gives 6 hp injured, 6hp bruised and 5 hp hale (17 total)

Brawn 6 will 6 gives 6hp in each of injured, bruised and hale (18 total)

Brawn 6 will 5 gives 6 hp injured and bruised but 7hp hale (19 total)

11 minutes ago, malladin.ben said:

Yes you can as questions. HP are calculated by adding together Brawn and Will and dividing by 2, rounding up. You effectively get this many hp 3 times, one set of hp is where you are 'hale', the next is where you are 'bruised' and the last is where you are injured. in addition, your hale band of hp can be a point higher or lower depending on the relative scores of brawn and will. If you brawn is higher than your will, you gain an extra hp in the hale category, whereas if your will is higher you lose a point of hon from you hale category.

Examples:

brawn 5 will 6, gives 6 hp injured, 6hp bruised and 5 hp hale (17 total)

Brawn 6 will 6 gives 6hp in each of injured, bruised and hale (18 total)

Brawn 6 will 5 gives 6 hp injured and bruised but 7hp hale (19 total)

Oh right, i didn't get the part where you added the bruised and hale score. Couldn't think out how you got those high scores. Thanks for clearing that up!

Are you also working on something for the person who runs the scenarios? Please correct me if that's not the way it works

I will be adding a GM section at some point, I've had a few requests for that already. It's surprised me how much interest there's been for this, particularly from people without any roleplaying experience.

My expectation was that there's be a small percentage of people who were already roleplayers who might pick it up and read it, maybe use it for a one-shot, or to try and persuade their roleplaying friends to try out guild ball. I thought that, given the combat mechanics are basically ripped from GB but using D10s, that it would be good for new roleplayers to try it out as players, but always expected that the GM would be somebody experienced and the sort of rough approach that I've taken so far would be adequate for them. I've been gobsmacked that there seems to be a number of guildballers out there who have seen this and want to give it a go without anyone in the group having RPG experience.

Hence I will add a GM section. It may take me a while, but I will release updates when I can so that when I have something written I'll put it out there for you to see. I think probably the best first step would be an introductory adventure, which would have all the stats for the encounters in it already so that you can just pick it up and play, but then I'll follow that with a bunch of stat blocks for all sorts of different characters and creatures you might encounter, and finally some sort of advice for new GMs.

I have recently created an excel-based character generator that does the maths for you when you're creating a character. It has some differences from the currently published version of the rules, but these are changes that have come out of proofreads from experienced roleplayers and will make it into the published rules very soon - I just need to regen the sample characters with the new rules, so building the character generator helps with that, and given that I've got it complete, I figured I might as well make it available to you all.

You can view it here: http://theblackorifice.co.uk/Guildforged%20Character%20Generator.xlsx

Thanks for all the keen interest, it's great to know that this is appreciated.

Ben

First off, thanks for making something as awesome as this.

I'm one of the GB players with little rpg experience (did a d&d game once) that really seems to enjoy things like this.

If you ever need help, let me know. Don't have the rpg experience, but I'm a decent designer and would love to help out :)

I have finished writing the first batch of updates to Guildforged. These are a tidy up of the system, closing some character creation loop holes and then making sure the sample characters fit with the changed mechanics.

http://theblackorifice.co.uk/Guildforged.pdf

The excel character creator has also been updated with all of these changes and fixed of all (known at this point) bugs.

http://theblackorifice.co.uk/Guildforged%20Character%20Gene…

Thanks for all the interest and support. A GMs section with sample adventure and hints and tips on running the game will be included later.

Hi, so I'm having a play with character creation, and I'm a bit confused with the Skills section.  Hoping you (or somebody else) can help.

I can spend 3 points on each skill, allowing me to be a novice, apprentice or journeyman, but no higher when creating the character.  But in the worked example, it says Cleaver has a 6 with Knives and 6 with Athletics... how is this possible?  Does it have something to do with the table in the top left of page 5 - I can't work out what this table is for so maybe it's important.

Edit: Actually, I believe I have worked this out.  But I do have another question on the character creator now.  The rules say pick up to 3 traits/plays, but the creator limits you to two.  Which one is right?

Sorry, this is all a fan-based job, so errors will be abound, no doubt, and you lot will have to be my editors. :-)

Skills: you're not the first person to ask this, so I maybe need to think about how I can sign-post this better, but yes, the table at the top left of p5 determines your skill level from your rank.

Your skill rank is an indication how how much training you've had, but because of natural talent (in the game at least), people with equal training are not necessarily equally good at the skill in question. Your skill level is the number of dice you roll when doing stuff with that skill.

As for your second question, for now the creator is correct and the document is wrong. But I have think it needs further change. When I wrote it initially there were no limitation traits, so I felt it needed 3 traits to give you the sort of range of cool stuff you could do as a starting character, but with plenty of room for improvement with advancement. When I came up with the idea of adding in limitation traits this meant that you could have the third trait of play if you also had a limitation trait, so I dropped the number of traits to 2, but forgot to include the change in it in the write up.

Going forward, I have realised that it is actually impossible to get The Unmasking as you need to be both Hideous and Huge, both of which are limitation traits and so there is no way of gaining these at all within the game. Hence I need a method of getting 2 limitation traits, but The Unmasking strikes me as too powerful an ability for a starting character, so I need some way of enabling you to add another limitation trait. I think it will probably come through the experience advancement system, but I haven't decided exactly how it will work yet, so it may be something that I add in to character creation. But for now you can go with 2+limitation.

Errors there may be at this stage, but it's a fantastic bit of work.  The way so many different strands come together to create a character that really feels like it fits in the Guildball world is incredible.  There's a few things I don't quite feel are right yet, like the need for huge medical knowledge to get anatomical precision, but overall this in great stuff.

On 21/03/2016 at 10:26 PM, Odin said:

Errors there may be at this stage, but it's a fantastic bit of work.  The way so many different strands come together to create a character that really feels like it fits in the Guildball world is incredible.  There's a few things I don't quite feel are right yet, like the need for huge medical knowledge to get anatomical precision, but overall this in great stuff.

You can also get anatomical precision for being an expert fencer. I just think it's a pretty powerful ability, so I've limited it to expert level so that it's something you have to work towards.

Ive pitched it so that starting player characters are slightly below the power level of guild ball players.