Sign in to follow this  
Sobolev

New Start!

Hello everyone!

I got a demo of this game at CaptainCon (like a ton of other people) and played as Union (which was solid I suppose). I used my points to get a model from the Captain's Log and chose between Engineers and Fisherman, so I grabbed Corsair.  Where to from here?  It seems like the hype about Shark is pretty intense, so possibly the better Captain there. What other models do you recommend I get?  I pretty much just want to try the bare minimum for now.

Thanks!

I don't think Shark is better than Corsair, just different.

At the moment you need to get Salt. 

Aside from that... I think Angel is a solid choice. Greyscales is probably one of my favourite players the fish have to offer.

I think Sakana is great too. As is Jac.

Some more experienced fish players will probably have some input too.

Minimum then would be those 5 players for now...

Sakana is great. I'd also look at Kraken to really lock down positional control w/ Corsair. Fish players are all stars in the right situation. 

Don't worry about not having Shark, just get out there and play some games.

4 minutes ago, Maurice said:

...just get out there and play some games.

Pretty much.

I haven't had the chance to play nearly as much as I'd like but I can definitely say that my understanding of the game has grown with each game.  Every choice has something to offer and choices vary with each activation, so it's a very rich game.

My starting line-up is: Shark, Salt, Angel, Greyscales, Siren, Kraken

A nice all round offensive scoring team with some decent board control.

For Corsair I'd probably run: Corsair, Salt, Angel, Jac, Kraken, Sakana  (Assuming no Union)

A bashy Fightin'Fish type list with a lot of holding the center, pushing off the edges and some decent scoring vectors in Sakana & Angel

I'd normally say Fangtooth, but for Corsair he's not quite as good because C lacks light-footed. Hemlocke is nice to keep Sakana and the rest of the gang totally condition free (on top of sturdy). I think Avarisse is also excellent with Corsair. Snakeskin is shifty enough to do a lot of work on his Legendary-turn.

I like the idea of playing either Captain, and have no problems including Union players (in fact I expect to). 

What makes Avarisse good with Corsair?

Is Snakeskin good with a specific one or either?

Seems like my purchases should be a starter, Salt, followed by Sakana, Greyscales, and a Union or two possibly.

3 hours ago, Maurice said:

Sakana is great. I'd also look at Kraken to really lock down positional control w/ Corsair. Fish players are all stars in the right situation. 

Don't worry about not having Shark, just get out there and play some games.

Shark is largely a Prima Donna. Corsair makes his team shine.

Maurice is giving you a solid path to a 2 goal/2 Take Out Fish team.

Corsair

Salt

Sakana

Avarisse & Greede/Kraken

Gutter/Jac

Siren/Angel/Greyscales

Try to play with paper dolls. Going Union gives a different feel to the team. Try with the base 6 first (Angel, Siren, Greyscales, Kraken + Salt and Captain). See where you feel you'd get a better position. A bit more damage? A bit more control? A bit more denial? Less football? Personally I try to stick to a non-union line-up until I see the need for a different style. I'm so sick of seeing Gutter everywhere :P

9 minutes ago, MacTuitui said:

Try to play with paper dolls. Going Union gives a different feel to the team. Try with the base 6 first (Angel, Siren, Greyscales, Kraken + Salt and Captain). See where you feel you'd get a better position. A bit more damage? A bit more control? A bit more denial? Less football? Personally I try to stick to a non-union line-up until I see the need for a different style. I'm so sick of seeing Gutter everywhere :P

I think Gutter is a different player for Fish.

She does some Momentous Damage, some repositioning, she has some speed, and she has a relevant 3/6" Kick, even 4/8" for a Turn.

I think with the changes to Chain Grab, this may be her best fit now.

The cool thing is that she's an option, not an auto include.

I definitely think that Kraken is kind of redundant on Corsair's team - Corsair does a lot of the same stuff, but slightly better in some cases. Having two 4/6 speed players just seems like a poor choice for a Fishermen Team.

For Corsair, my current line up would be:

- Salt

- Angel

- Jav

- Sakana

- Gutter

You get a good mix of speed and scoring together with a team that can definitely punch a bit.

After many games with Shark my Starting 6 seem to be:

Shark

Salt

Jac

Hemlocke

Greyscales

Sakana

Sometimes I Switch Hemlocke/Siren, Fangtooth/Jac or Sakana/Angel for doing something different. Kraken did not impress me most of the times, he is pretty squishy for somebody who wants to be that close to his enemies. Honorable mention goes to snakeskin, who only has one Problem, which is generating momentum. We will see, how Hemlocke will Play after her nerf, but i do still see some use for her.

My testing for Corsair will start with:

Corsair

Salt

Gutter

Avarisse and Greede

Greyscales

Snakeskin

Corsair, A+G and Gutter should be able to do 2 kills pretty easily with enough punch, drags, singled out and generating momentum while doing so. Snakeskin an Greyscales are pretty hard to take down for the enemy and try to hunt for Goals. With 1-leg-dance they are equivalent to real strikers for the critical round. Greede will help where he Needs to, either scoring with 1-leg-dance oder killing an singled out, knocked down target. Most likely his main work will be delaying the activation of my hitters of course. That is the plan, we will see how it works out. 

18 hours ago, Sobolev said:

What makes Avarisse good with Corsair?

Two things: 

1) Singled Out - This significantly improves your dice pool on attacks enabing a wider range of tactical options from the playbook or improving your odds to roll more hits against a high DEF model.   Consider, if you engage with Avarisse and get a single hit result then you can put Singled Out on the target and gain a point of Momentum. Then, if he buys another attack his TAC has gone to 8 from 6.  If you come and attack the same target with someone else and Avarisse is still engaging then you will get TAC + 2 + 1 for Avarisse ganging up.  With Corsair this would be 6 + 2 + 1 = 9d6 per standard attack .... if you Charge then you would be rolling 13d6 and he has a playbook length of 5, so you'd probably be looking at a wrap or two depending on the DEF of the model.  Of course, with a charge you run the risk of them taking a Defensive Stance and increasing their DEF against the attack so you need to work out whether it's better to a) jog into melee and buy attacks, b ) run into melee and buy attacks or c) charge.

2) Activation advantage.  Since Avarisse comes with Greede, you will have an extra player on the field for free.  Together they are also a better INF package than Kraken or Fangtooth who only bring 1 INF to the pool but Avarisse and Greede both bring 1 each.   Activation advantage is huge.  Having the extra player on the team means that you can manipulate the turn order and have both the first and last player activation each turn or if you lose the initiative then you will have 2 player activations at the end of turn.  If you were to run someone like Hemlocke then this would mean that she could go last and heal/remove conditions on players or put out poison on the opposition with no way for them to remove the conditions before the end of turn.  Alternately, if you had someone like Sakana loaded up with INF then you could go to town buying attacks and generating the last pool of momentum adding to your chances of winning the initiative next turn.   Or, if you lose the initiative in one turn meaning that you get two activations at the end, consider going for goal on the second last activation - if you score they will have to kick back out but they will have noone left to retrieve the ball off a scatter, but you do :)

I havent tried Fangtooth with Corsair yet because of the whole Rough Ground thing but I've heard that he is useful, but I have used Gutter to good effect - will see how that works with the errata to Chain Grab.  My revised line up may be Corsair, Salt, Sakana, Avarisse & Greede, Siren, Jac .... I could possibly play around with swapping out Siren or Jac for Hemlocke too.

I definitely think that the starter set represents great value for models that you will definitely acquire at some point in your time playing GB. It's essentially buy two get one free.

Once you buy this box you can actually start playing, which is always the best advice for how to make purchasing choices in a new table top game. 

Starter, Salt, Sakana, Jac will give you a decent set of models which can be used with either Shark or Corsair.   Adding Union to that I would look to Fangtooth, Gutter and Avarisse & Greede in the first instance.

9 hours ago, Shano said:

Starter, Salt, Sakana, Jac will give you a decent set of models which can be used with either Shark or Corsair.   Adding Union to that I would look to Fangtooth, Gutter and Avarisse & Greede in the first instance.

I think this is the way I will go. How do you feel about Jac? I'm anxious about someone with defense so low being victimized. 

Jac is a beast ... he does a lot of work and can assist with getting work out of Salt too.    6" of pushes on models without rolling a dice can be pretty clutch.