• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Shano

Adventures of a Corsair

2 minutes ago, Korak said:

Well, yes and no. In your example Siren was missed, an AOE rough ground would've then slowed her down regardless of being able to hit her.

You can let it go now.  This isn't the rules clarification forum.

I appreciate you picking up my mistake which has now been edited.  Was typing it out from memory and had a lot of thoughts to get out before I forgot it all.

4 hours ago, Shano said:

Was typing it out from memory and had a lot of thoughts to get out before I forgot it all.

Thanks for the writeup. I know that if I don't quickly jot something down I'll have forgotten about it 5 minutes after the game (and often already during) unless it was really memorable.

Just now, Pangur Ban said:

Thanks for the writeup. I know that if I don't quickly jot something down I'll have forgotten about it 5 minutes after the game (and often already during) unless it was really memorable.

Yeah, my write up happened about 12+ hours after the game ... and a sleep.

Hey all. Here are 4 quick write-ups from our latest Capital Guild Ball tournament, Life's a Pitch:

Game 1 vs. Union - 
Them: Blackheart/Coin/Gutter/Decimate/Rage/Mist
Me: Corsair/Salt/Sakana/Angel/Gutter/Avarisse&Greede

Mist kicks & I botch my ball retrieval, getting it to Angel too early, so I can't score turn 1. They advance broadly & I stay out of Gutter's Chain Grab threat. I manage to chain-grab Blackheart and commence to beat him soundly with Corsair. Ball is moved wide over to Greede. 
Turn 2 I kill Blackheart with Corsair (2-0) and KD Gutter. Rage and Gutter beat on Corsair a bit, but Gutter gets KD'd after already clearing conditions and wastes 2 INF. Sakana gets the ball from Greede and misses a 4-die shot.
Turn 3 Decimate and Gutter kill my Gutter after I forget I have Don't-Touch-The-Hair and Momentum to counter attack (2-2). Corsair kills Gutter and Rage (6-2) at some point. Sakana goes to get the ball back from returning-Blackheart and fails - BH only had 5 health and I probably could've jogged up and killed him again w/ 4 swings (grr). 
Turns 4 and 5 I forget the details of, I manage to get 2 goals from Sakana and then Corsair, after he eventually gets a goal. Ends 14-8. 

Game 2 vs. Alchemists
Them: Midas/Flask/Compound/Calculus/Vitriol/Mercury
Me: Corsair/Salt/Angel/Sakana/Greyscales/Siren

I get the ball and a turn-1 goal with Angel. Mercury takes the kick-out, but I lead off and steal w/ Greyscales. He gets it back, I get it with Corsair and pass to Angel. Vitriol tries to take it back but between Protect your Balls card and Corsair's Legendary for Close Control, I end up with the ball again. Sakana scores, I believe. He kicks it back out. I win initiative on turn 3, Greyscales steals from Mercury and scores.  12-0 Fish.

Game 3 vs. Masons
Them: Honour/Marbles/Flint/Mist/Mallet/Brick
Me: Corsair/Salt/Gutter/Sakana/Angel/Siren
I kick with Siren and Honour does a nice job of hiding the ball from her. Flint & Mist only received 2 inf each, so I knew they were not scoring turn 1. Mist slowly moves up 1 flank and I shift to threaten. Mallet takes Siren to 1/2 life and I soften up Flint, who strayed too far forward. 
Turn 2 Mist scores (4-0). Corsair kills pretty boy (4-2), heals Siren and gives her the ball. My opponent apparently did not see/hear me heal Siren and goes into her expecting a kill and doesn't get it. I use Gutter to attack Mallet. He brings Brick over. Sakana occupies Marbles and Honour. 
Turn 3 I kill Mallet (4-4) and at some point Siren or Gutter scores (8-4). 
Turn 4 I win initiative, retrieve the kick-out and score w/ Sakana (12-4).

Game 4 vs. Alchemists
Them: Midas/Flask/Mist/Vitriol/Compound/Avarisse&Greede
Me: Corsair/Salt/Sakana/Angel/Siren/Greyscales
Midas kicks and steals Where'd They Go after Greyscales retrieves. I Harpoon him in and beat the crap out of him. No turn 1 goal. Vitriol kills Salt (so now I'm down 2 activations...FML). (0-2)
Turn 2 I finish Midas off and prep for a goal (2-2). Mist steals the ball but with Close Control and counter-attacks, can only move it back to Compound. Greyscales moves up to engage Compound in Corsair's Legendary and strips Gluttonous Mass. Other stuff happens. Siren seduces Compound to pass to a 1-Leg-Stanced-Greyscales who bangs in a 5-die Snapshot (pro) (6-2). Vitriol ends up with the ball from Greede and scores (6-6). Ball comes out to Angel.
Turn 3 Alchs wins initiative and have a shot at a 6-point activation if Vitriol can kill Angel and score, but the dice don't work out (and I think she didn't have enough Inf anyways after popping smoke). Vitriol ends up with the ball. At this point, I can either focus on fighting or try to get the ball live again. I end up moving up with Corsair, using a very-crowded-Flask to Harpoon in Vitriol, taking the ball from her and deciding to hold it on Corsair (I'm sweating now, as I can't get the ball off him, but Mist can potentially retrieve and score, and Angel is basically doomed). Mist comes in but can only steal the ball after close-control and counter-attacks (exhale). My opponent has no more serious goal threats (Greede excepted), so I Seduce Mist off a crazy-crowded & KD'd Flask, scoop up the ball and score with Siren (10-6). Midas takes the kick-out way wide. Greede kills Angel (10-8).
Turn 4 I win initiative after a tense re-roll (we were even on Momentum). Corsair can either go after Flask (6 life and 2 Crowd-outs) or Greede (4 life and a Vengeance token but Def 6). I go after the Robot and kill him (12-8). 

4 close games (even game two could've swung quickly) against 4 great opponents! Mass Close-Control won me a couple of these games hands-down, and Siren was MVP in the last game. Greyscales had some moments, and Angel was a good decoy. #FightinFish went 3 games with 2&2 and 1 with 3&0, which seems like the standard for Corsair.

I think folks will need to quickly adapt to a Fish team that has Corsair with 4+ Inf on turn 1 and Gutter, playing against them similarly to any other team with good repositioning. All 4 games I had a nice juicy target to drag in and pound for Influence, finishing them off to start turn 2. Combining that with a goal in turn 1 or early 2 is pretty crushing when you will struggle to retrieve the ball and the rest of the Fish team has the tools to pluck it back relatively easily.

Both Shark and Corsair are both extremely strong control pieces, but Corsair also ties in the nice momentous-KD on 2 results, which Shark can't do. Shark does enable the rest of your team to kill people though, via G&S, and literally waste an entire turn of their Inf with 'Net. Both are very fun. If you wanted to know why they didn't boost Kraken during the Big-Guy Buff errata, just look at Corsair's efficacy (yes, this is hyperbole). 

Great work, mate! First tournament win for Corsair and #fightinfish :)

I had a game yesterday against Engineers and lost 12-4 ... he did well with the board control and I made a couple of dumb plays that wasted some activations.

8 hours ago, sious_69 said:

My experience is that generally I get one goal and four takeouts with Corsair.  He is a beast, and is usually getting two to three of those takeouts himself. 

What are you currently running? My lineup has been Avarisse, Greyscales, Sakana, and Jac, with Gutter and Angel as alternates.

Play against Captain Rage with Corsair, Gutter, Kraken, Sakana, Jac and Salt, won 12 -4 with four Takeouts and a Goal. Corsair Is an awesome Captain, him and Gutter took out Rage and he scored the Goal, Gutter minced through Hemlocke, Coin and Rage again. Corsair plays with like a Brewer, which Is my main Guild, he Is getting a Tournament outing soon!

On March 27, 2016 at 0:01 PM, Kueller said:

Play against Captain Rage with Corsair, Gutter, Kraken, Sakana, Jac and Salt, won 12 -4 with four Takeouts and a Goal. Corsair Is an awesome Captain, him and Gutter took out Rage and he scored the Goal, Gutter minced through Hemlocke, Coin and Rage again. Corsair plays with like a Brewer, which Is my main Guild, he Is getting a Tournament outing soon!

I tried my first game with Corsair into Captain rage and got wrecked... Do you just try to single out Rage and take him out as quickly as possible?

1 hour ago, Savon said:

I tried my first game with Corsair into Captain rage and got wrecked... Do you just try to single out Rage and take him out as quickly as possible?

Yes I setup, Corsair next to Gutter, Gutter as bait, he charged but used Quick Time to get there so only had a couple of hits on her. Sakana, Jac and Salt crowded out him a lot and he was takeout out In the next turn, Kraken was by himself as a distraction, his gutter and A&G took a long time to take him out.

My opponent is pretty clever and may not take the bait like that, but I will try to give it a shot. Do you find when you play against Captain Rage that Gutter is typically in his team?

6 hours ago, Savon said:

My opponent is pretty clever and may not take the bait like that, but I will try to give it a shot. Do you find when you play against Captain Rage that Gutter is typically in his team?

Yeah twice I have played his Captain Rage, he has had her and A&G for Singled Out.

8 hours ago, Kueller said:

Yeah twice I have played his Captain Rage, he has had her and A&G for Singled Out.

Sounds like we have similar opponents. I'll try corsair into him again. Thanks for the tips. :)