SFG Forums Closing On March 11th 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ratty

Tape Measures Suck

I know this was a big issue in previous modules I worked on.

The way I dealt with it was add a aura of X" which you could show and hide with Ctrl+1 - Ctrl+0 . This means if you need to know if a model is 6" away rather than faffing with the tape measure you just hit Ctrl+6

Firstly: are you "the" Ratty? King of all things Malifaux? (lol)

If so nice to meet ya! I've used my fair share of the resources you've created and the Malifaux module is one of the references I used when trying to learn module building. Slightly embarrassed as your module is waaaaaaaaay more polished than mine, but this is my first real go at it and I'm having to learn a lot as I go. Look for a PM in your inbox.

Second: I like the idea in principal, certainly an elegant solution to the problem. However I personally like the ability to have the measurement fixed (auras move with the model, unless there's a trick you know that I don't lol) for model movements and what have you. I am trying to build in all of the special ranges that you might need to measure for each model. If they have an ability that needs to check every model within 6" of them, then there should be a corresponding aura under Special Ranges in the model menu. 

Still, might be something that is worth looking into.

Having a standard ones means you can use them to check all kind of things, like can Ox Charge me (Put Ox's Charge + 1" for melee range as an Aura on Ox, then move your model), or can I get in position to get a buff from another model (Put Aura on buffing model, put Movement Aura on the player your moving, do they intersect).. By all means have model specific ones built in, can save you looking up the ability, but having that extra ability to check things is amazing..

For example if I have a model with Kick 10" I can put a 10" aura on the Goal and then work out where I want to move to to attempt a goal.

Also having them on standard Keys makes it much much faster than going through the menu system looking for the 6" aura for "Rousing Speach", you just hit Ctrl+6

You make a good point sir, I'll add that to the list of things for v2 to try out. If its something people like it would certainly make adding new players into the module a little easier heh. 

Given Mat's recent (I think) decision to remove the restriction on pre-measuring the idea actually sounds more and more appealing.