Sign in to follow this  
tehlon

Very Odd Game (new players) Butchers V Brewers

Morning Everyone,

My buddy and I are new players. We ran a 6v6 the other night Butchers (me) vs Brewers (him) and something very unusual occurred, at least unusual from my perspective.

I ran Ox, Princess, Boar, Boiler, Brisket and Shank. He ran Tapper, Scum, Hooper, Friday, Spigot and Stave.

The game started off standard enough, Shank kicked off wide left and we proceeded the inevitable march towards the center. After an incredible barrel lob / key knockdowns, it quickly became clear I wasn’t going to win this one with blood. However, shank was able to grab the ball away and score a goal while the murder spree began in the middle of the table. Eventually Boiler, Ox, and Boar all fell, but the brewers couldn’t stop Brisket, who was able to nab the ball away from The Cat, wiggle around stave with dodges, pass to shank, who then scored AGAIN putting the butchers up 8-6 on scoring alone. Princess went down to even the score 8-8. The brewers planned to get Friday the ball to end the game on a score, but Ox, Boiler, and Boar were all coming back onto the pitch the threaten the area she was in. A bloodied up OX proved to be enough of a distraction to draw tapper and hooper back in, but this gave time for boiler to tackle the ball away from Friday and make a very hard pass back to brisket to set up the final goal! Butchers win 12-10 **ON GOAL SCORING ALONE**

Perhaps this was a flukey newbie game, perhaps my dice got hot at the right time, but is this overly unusual? Everything I read about butchers says 4-6 kills and maybe one goal, but this team seemed to have no problem repeatedly stripping the ball away by surprise. Any thoughts?

Butchers are a perfectly good footballing team. They have slightly below average kick stats, but pretty good mobility on Brisket and Shank, which is probably the most important stat on a goal scorer. They are not by any means bad at putting the ball in the net. Butchers' main weakness, to be honest, is their ability to take damage (other than Brisket and, to an extent, Boiler). They rely on momentum to keep themselves alive.

Shank in particular is not to be underestimated as a footballing player. Not that the Butchers generally have momentous tackles, which helps with the footballing plan a surprising amount.

Butchers can score with the best of them. I always aim for 2&2 for takeouts/goals which is very doable but due to the way the team operate & gain momentum it often ends up with the 4/1 or 6/0 ratios.

New Butchers players tend to get stuck in the 'Butchers can't play football' mindset while the veterans & stronger players tend to jump on goal opportunities fairly viciously.

Although 3 goals is pretty unusual, 1 or 2 is common from a decent Butchers player. 

We may be the best face smashing team, but no good player turns down the opportunity to score an easy goal.
I think 9/10 games I score at least 1 goal, even if that is because they don't have enough players on the pitch to stop me. 

For that reason I always keep either brisket or Shank in my team, usually both if it suits the match-up.