Sign in to follow this  
Banjulhu

Corsair Rules in new Steamforged News video

We have spoilers for Corsiar in the new Steamforged News video.

Has a character play that takes the ball off an enemy and gives it to him at range, Kraken's Harpoon play, and can pass out sturdy (ignores 1st KD per turn)

He has Close Control, Tough Hide and Sturdy himself and his Legendary play passes out +1/+2 kick and close control in a 6" aura.

His playbook is only 5 columns long and has a momentous result at each level (although the 1st is a momentous tackle and the 2nd a knockdown).

Def 3+ Arm 1 like Jac, he is the same speed as Kraken only thing that makes him a little odd compared to most big guys is he only has 18 hits.

Initial thoughts are that whilst he is good, he does not suit a Fisherman list just yet although a veteran Angel or Greyscales could help out a lot. His job is going to be midfield control, he will pull in and KD whilst Jac pushes away to give attacking playes the room they need.

Fish do not really struggle to pass the ball between themselves so his Legendary is going to be for offense meaning he will have to move up into the enemy half which in turn means it will more likely be used to help end the game by giving Angel and Sakana 10" kicking range when withing 6" of him as you dont want to overstretch early on.

Right now I don't think Shark is in much danger of losing his place in the team.

I like him too. He's a very interesting piece. Equally annoying as Shark to play against, but in a very different way. I like how he buffs the team rather than being a one-man-band like Shark tends to be. Angel could be 6/12" Kick! Is it me, or does he look a bit like John Rhys-Davies?

Ignores first damage.  Ignores first Tackle.  Ignores first KD.

... This guy gives zero cares!

... Pretty much the hardest to kill Fish on the team.  Hardest hitter on the team with momentous damage, KD, and Tackle.  Great buff in a legendary for shooting and Snap shots.  Interesting.

Greyscales         Sakana          Siren 

Salt 

Corsair      Fangtooth/kraken 

Fish goal 

this is my initial lineup thought, corsair and one of the big guys on ball retrieval (probably kraken over Fangtooth as corsairs already slow) using salt to link the ball up with the players further forward       

You would be better served swapping Salt and Corsair around and use Corsair to get the ball back and generate momentum passing forward rather than having Salt pick up and drop the ball. At the back Salt can then be used to pick up balls from Strikers and other forward players that you have Kraken KD. This would also allow you to push Corsair forward more easily to set up his legendary play

1 minute ago, Hobbybutterfly said:

This is true, though the positions would be fairly fluid in any case 

does this give a more Beaty fish team a chance to compete?

I doubt it. One model throwing out 2 or 3 momentous damage per turn does not a bashy team create.

The Fishermen are at the extreme end of the playstyle spectrum, they all play the ball really really well but do little else so go for 3 goals, in the middle we find teams like the Brewers and the Masons that are built as multi-perpose teams from the ground up so can try their hand at anything and generally mix and match within the team aiming for 2 goals and 2 take outs and flipping to a 3 goal or a 1 goal 6 take outs win depending on how things play out, at the other end we have the Butchers that basically just want to smash face 1 goal and 6+ take outs.

Getting one slightly bashy player in the Fish does not do much to change how the rest of the team functions as the rest of the team are still ball players and pitch controllers so all we do is add a bit of hitting power but we dont have enough yet to then capitalise on it so whilst a bit bashy Corsair will still be playing the ball game more than trying for take outs

True, but with corsair, kraken and Sakana there's definitely more scope to beat stuff- not going toe to toe with the butchers (or even Brewers) but giving something out too.

maybe a move towards two takeouts and two goals 

Can't be KD'ed to prevent counterattacks the first time someone charges him, can relatively easily either KD or preferably push/dodge via counterattack to make it impossible to attack him. He's going to be very hard to take out by any conventional method as long as you have at least one Mom he can use, but positionally he will have to put himself in danger when you don't (every turn you don't win init).

Definitely interesting, but to replace Shark he's going to need a suitable veteran player and/or a very specific (likely Union-heavy) team around him. I need to be able to score fast currently, since the longer the game drags on the more likely I won't win, and at first sight he doesn't facilitate that enough. 4/6" movement and a 6" range on Rough Seas is just a tad on the low end too, considering RS costs two Inf, you need another Inf if you want to pass the ball on and likely a 4th if you need the extra 2" from sprinting. Two Inf cost plays are in my experience also pretty awkward if you can't Bonus Time them: having to pay 2 Inf is not negligible, but a 2 dice pool is often poor odds. 

13 minutes ago, Hobbybutterfly said:

True, but with corsair, kraken and Sakana there's definitely more scope to beat stuff- not going toe to toe with the butchers (or even Brewers) but giving something out too.

maybe a move towards two takeouts and two goals 

I think we need another player that can reliably do decent damage and generate momentum at the same before that becomes a viable option in a pure fish team as at the moment Sakana only has a momentous 1 damage result and Kraken only does damage and MP gain on his Release the... play which forces his target out of range of follow up violence.

Dropping in Gutter could do the trick though. Corsair, Sakana, Jac, Gutter and Angel seems workable for bashing with, I would take Kraken instead of Jac but I think the team would need the influence as well as the damage to work best

Think about this: With Rough Seas, if he's standing on the center dot then he can take the ball from anyone a 12" radius (under perfect conditions), which is something like 2/3 of the pitch. That's pretty ridiculous.

I see myself using him as a setup man. With sturdy and close control he's going to be able to dish the ball and really spread the field. It's reasonably safe to pass him the ball and have him hold it until his activation. Looking at his playbook and traits I see a counter attack machine. T means strikers aren't going to want to slingshot off of him. KD means that attacking him you had better hope to wrap and be able to double KD or else you're going down. Not to mention the push results on 3 and 5 give him the ability to chip away and maybe push the attacker out of melee.

Also with stand firm he can dish the ball and then make the new ball carrier KD immune for the next one levelled against them.

Finally he's an amazing finisher in that he can set up snap shots pretty easily after having the team generate a little momentum. 2 Goals in 2 activations with Angel seems totally doable. I'm actually really happy because he seems to synergize with Angel really well.

Conclusion: Shark can go anywhere and score from a mile away. I will miss this when I play Corsair, but I really feel like he gives you the ability to spread the field and play the evasive game even though he's basically stationary compared to Shark.

14 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

... and Kraken only does damage and MP gain on his Release the... play which forces his target out of range of follow up violence.

As an aside, you can choose "up to" on any pushes - so after Kraken Releases you can choose to have the other model pushed 0" and keep attacking them.

32 minutes ago, Frostmane said:

Think about this: With Rough Seas, if he's standing on the center dot then he can take the ball from anyone a 12" radius (under perfect conditions), which is something like 2/3 of the pitch. That's pretty ridiculous.

I see myself using him as a setup man. With sturdy and close control he's going to be able to dish the ball and really spread the field. It's reasonably safe to pass him the ball and have him hold it until his activation. Looking at his playbook and traits I see a counter attack machine. T means strikers aren't going to want to slingshot off of him. KD means that attacking him you had better hope to wrap and be able to double KD or else you're going down. Not to mention the push results on 3 and 5 give him the ability to chip away and maybe push the attacker out of melee.

Also with stand firm he can dish the ball and then make the new ball carrier KD immune for the next one levelled against them.

Finally he's an amazing finisher in that he can set up snap shots pretty easily after having the team generate a little momentum. 2 Goals in 2 activations with Angel seems totally doable. I'm actually really happy because he seems to synergize with Angel really well.

Conclusion: Shark can go anywhere and score from a mile away. I will miss this when I play Corsair, but I really feel like he gives you the ability to spread the field and play the evasive game even though he's basically stationary compared to Shark.

With his Legendary up, Angel, Sakana, Snakeskin, Greyscales, Salt(!) and others can also score from downtown pretty easily. 

33 minutes ago, Frostmane said:

Like I said, I find it a bit awkward. Costs 2 Inf for the play and you only get 2 dice in the pool. That's iffy for me. He can try again if it fails, but he may often need an Inf to run and you'll want to pass it again as well which is another Inf: basically he needs the full 6 Inf for this activation if he wants to be able to afford a 2nd try, which is a lot and results in a lot of wasted Inf if things go right the first time or fail altogether. It's a dice game, dice can happen, but pools of 2 dice are arguably the worst.

11 minutes ago, Pangur Ban said:

Costs 2 Inf for the play and you only get 2 dice in the pool. That's iffy for me.

Such is the life of the Engineer... still though, 2 dice into 5+ def is 5/9. As I've put it to people, it's not hard to hit; it's just easy to miss.

Having the golden 12x3 damage profile, with a short playbook and 6 inf no less (plus a low momentous KD), Corsair will be perfectly capable of starting a turn by murdering a low to moderate durability player. With some crowding (easy in Fish with reach) it gets more reliable. With Singled Out it's just nasty, but that's no longer the start of the turn (and hey, he can make Greede 5/6" Kick for a snap shot).

Gutter, Sakana, Jac, [Fangtooth, Greyscales, or Siren] under Corsair sounds pretty scary.

16 minutes ago, Pangur Ban said:

Like I said, I find it a bit awkward. Costs 2 Inf for the play and you only get 2 dice in the pool. That's iffy for me. He can try again if it fails, but he may often need an Inf to run and you'll want to pass it again as well which is another Inf: basically he needs the full 6 Inf for this activation if he wants to be able to afford a 2nd try, which is a lot and results in a lot of wasted Inf if things go right the first time or fail altogether. It's a dice game, dice can happen, but pools of 2 dice are arguably the worst.

This.

It's a solid play, but easily mitigated with Clone or by simply dropping the ball the same way that one does against Obulus. Add to that the good defence of most ball carriers... It will be a struggle.

He seems really influence intensive for a support style captains and broadcasts the teams intentions as it all requires set up. It's not a bad thing, but when you look at the way by which Esters is buffing so well with no influence, it doesn't seem as strong.

Admittedly, taking this guy out is going to be nigh on impossible. Seriously, giving him the ball and standing centre is just brutal. Him, Fangtooth can just chill and walk around with the ball between them preventing all of the things.

Rough Seas will likelly need a Bonus Time to be pulled off reliably but I can see some 2nd turn onwards uses. Spend the early part of the turn genning the momentum, score late with Angel and use what you have left to set up Corsair to grab the ball and pass to Angel for a Snap shot.