S_A_T_S

Terrain Tales

This seems the place to post this...

When my wife and I played our test games of Guild Ball, we used a bit of 2'x2' chipboard we had in the shed, but it simply wasn't large enough for a full teams game. We had nothing else (I've always played wargames in stores, clubs or at friends), so we had to go out and buy something, but if I'm going to buy, I'm going to do it properly (and for as little as possible!).

Our plan was to find some 5mm MDF and get it cut to 3'x3'. Problem is, timber is sold in 2'x4' or 4'x8' sections. I investigated in B&Q, went to pick up my wife from work, and we decided spur of the moment to take a detour to Homebase on the way home. Amazingly we found some offcuts tucked down the side of the shelving, and one was a 4'x4' piece of chipboard! Perfect, we thought, and took it to the cutting area to cut it down (4'x4' won't fit in my car) when lo and behold, what's this? Leaning against the cutting desk, with a £5 masking tape price label, is a 3'x3' piece of chipboard at half the thickness of the (very thick) one we had picked up! "It must be fate!" my wife cried as we gleefully skipped to the tills to make our purchase!

Once we got it home, we checked out eBay for some suitably sized and coloured felt (paint and texturing is too tricky, and we can use a felt table for board and card games as well). The widest we could find was 1m but it was double the price of the 0.8m, which simply isn't big enough. My wife chose the colour, I ordered it and we waited...

One bright sunny morning, I was woken up by a bright blue package to the face as my wife shouted "It's here!" We spent a fun afternoon building our board with double sided tape, staples, pencils and scissors, and here's one what we made earlier:

xnuU8rE.jpg

You may notice the goals... we discovered that the Sainsbury's Hard Grated Cheese tubs were exactly 50mm across so excellent goal proxies.

We have yet to play a full sized game (my wife works retail so has awkward hours) but she has a day off coming (excited!). That game will hopefully go in my Marital Matches thread, but this one is going to be for the terrain I'm going to have a bash at as we build toward the 'reward fulfilment date', using my trusty stalwart:

5eIjlaZ.jpg

Pub. 1996. That's 18 years ago. Does it make you feel old? It does me...

Next up: HEDGES!

Excellent work dude, I'm looking forward to future updates.

For me, building the terrain and setting the scene is just as much fun as playing the game.

I'm going to go for a 4'x4' board myself so that I have a clear 6" all the way round to build more scenery.

Can't wait to see more of your work. I have the 2003 GW scenery building book and another one by two guys called Timothy Hall and Jonathan Sutherland.

I can't wait to get cracking :)

Thanks guys. I got over excited yesterday and was half way through the hedges before I realised I was supposed to take some photos of what I was doing. Hopefully I'll go back and get some suitable images for a sort of step by step I can post soon.

HEDGES - Obstruction/Barrier

I knocked these together pretty quickly. The basic technique is simple and effective, I'm just not so sure about the bases.

zgfE6rm.jpg

I followed the guide in my ancient terrain book for these, as it's been a long time since I've made any scenery. Top left is my 'ingredients':

• cork tile
  • bird sand
  • scouring pads
  • pva
  • superglue
  • steel rule
  • utility knife
  • mixing tub and stirrer
  • paint
  • brush

The hedge itself is easy: cut the scourer to twice the height you want it to be, then fold in half and glue together with superglue (keep it pressed down while it dries, the glue will start to sink into the pad). When it is dry, brush over the pad with two increasingly light shades of green to give it some depth. I used Citadels Catachan Green followed by Camo Green, the second being more of a highlight.

You really don't want the scourer falling over onto the felt tabletop (felt loves scourers, and just doesn't want to let it go...), so bases where cut from cork tile. I chose cork as I didn't need a saw - if you like saws, thin MDF might be better. I cut the cork at 45o so that the bases could fit together at right angles and maybe form a pen or edge of a field/garden. The cork (except where I was going to glue the hedges) was covered with a mi of bird sand, pva and water. This I'm not so sure about, as it's pretty lumpy and the bases don't fit together too well now. However, the other choices were flock (which I've never got on with), nothing (which probably will end up looking like green cork) or static grass (which would be AWESOME but won't be the right colour for the felt, is much more expensive and might prevent models from resting their bases on the hedge base). I found a Crown tester pot of Easy Peasy colour, which was the closest possible match for the felt my wife picked, and used the included applicator to apply that over a black basecoat. When it was all dry, the hedge was pva'd to the base.

HOT TIP: Sand and roughly cut cork can scratch your table, so a cut-to-fit layer of thin card (think cereal box) glued underneath raises the base from the table and make it more smooth.

For a first attempt, I'm pretty pleased, especially with the hedges themselves. The bases I would probably change next time - perhaps a bit thinner, with the hedge closer to the ends, and a smoother sand-mix consistency. A better painter might be able to do a much better job, but I'm working with what I have and to a tight budget (the joys of an arty wife: "I need cork tiles/balsa wood/UHU/a steel ruler/brushes/staple gun for this." "I've got some in my art stuff, you can have it if you like.").

@James: Had a look at a digital copy of the 2nd ed. How To Make... and it's really good! A much improved version of what I have. Might have to try and find a phsyical copy now...

Next up: FIELDS!

Bit late but if you go to a 'proper' timber place to buy it (like Arnold Lavers) they can cut your massive mdf sheet up for you and darn precisely too. I got a full 2400x1200 (metric!) sheet cut into 300x300 squares to make modular terrain for Ambush Alley a few years back and it cos a quid or so more but they are all exactly the same size and square (which is harder to do yourself than it sounds) with the added bonus it was easier to get in the car.

B&Q and Homebase also both do cutting (Homebase only first 2 cuts are free, B&Q first 15) but I think you probably still need to pay for the entire piece of wood. Modular is cool, but for a 3'x3' board is maybe a bit much, as it's only a tiny bit larger than the standard 2'x2' modular. Now, if someone wants to do a modular Guild Ball board in nine 1'x1' squares, I'd love to see it!

Thanks, mbbelius. I've been enjoying your battle reports (especially stealing tactics and being able to shout rules corrections at the screeen  ;) )

It's coming up to half-term so I'm hoping to get the field done that week. I might have been a bit ambitious announcing that as the next project, as I think it needs some characterisation to make it work (as in, not just a solid area of wheat - it needs some extra details to break up the area and add interest), which requires a bit more thinking and making time. Doesn't help that my computer burnt out about a month ago and I still haven't got a replacement! 

Ummm...

It didn't actually take me a full year to finish the field (only a week or two, in spare moments), but I just haven't had much motivation to do any modelling for a long time. Guild Ball arriving is making me a little more interested ;-) Anyway...

FIELDS - Rough Ground

8ICIPeK.jpg

Again, a simple build:

• door mat
  • cork tile
  • bird sand
  • pva
  • steel rule
  • utility knife
  • mixing tub and stirrer
  • paint
  • static grass
  • brush

This time I made the borders a little thinner, to make the field more of a feature than the base. The field itself is the classic doormat, sliced to a smaller rectangle and PVA'd to the cork. I ran some masking tape around the outside, then applied the same mix of bird sand, PVA and water to the edge. I'd be a lot more careful if I were doing this again: as you can propably see, the sand attached to the masking tape, and came off with the tape, leaving gaps. Next time, I'd put the tape on higher up the mat, allowing the sand to actually touch and cover the bottom 0.5cm or so of the mat, and NOT touch the tape as much as I let it (which led to chunks being pulled off).

After spraying black, I removed the tape, grimaced at the gaps, and basecoated the sand in Scorched Brown, then brushed over a couple of lighter highlights of Bestial Brown, lightened with some Bleached Bone. I used clumps of static grass to fill the biggest, which also breaks up the large expanse of beige/brown. The top of the 'wheat' I heavily brushed with Bleached Bone.

I think this came out pretty well. I prefer the brown to the green edges, and after Diceini, I now have some Army Painter meadow flowers for my player bases, which I might add to this to help link the terrain. The base has become a little warped, but as it only rises in the centre, it's still steady on the table, so I'm not worried. A shame the full rules have lost the hard/soft and similar rules, but I can see it keeps the rules simple. Maybe hard/soft etc. will return in Season 2...

Next: WALLS!

I'm back! After attending a few events of over the last couple of months, had some comments online and off that really need to start using terrain in games, especially as official tournies will require them. So I went out and bought a few resin pieces, then remembered - I promised walls! Finally pulled my finger out and knocked up a wall last night:

WALLS - Barrier

HGA1wKx.jpg

Very simple. The bricks are from one of those tiling strips you can get in B&Q or Homebase for decorating bathrooms, just pulled off the backing gauze and cleaned, then stuck together with PVA as mortar. I based mine on some magnetic tape because 1) I'm magnetizing my terrain so I can use a metal biscuit tin left over from Christmas to transport them, 2) it's just the right size and 3) my wife got me some from her work so it cost me nothing!

A little grass covers the overlap of the magtape, and Angel is for scale. She is from my wife's Fishermen team, who are sat on my desk until I order a display stand for them to go in our glass cabinet.

Next - MARKET CRATES!

Looking good. I actually saw some of these in a hardware shop yesterday and was wondering about exactly this. I was a bit worried that they would be too heavy for transportation. Interested to see how you find them. 

200th post!

MARKET CRATES - Obstructions

First piece of purchased terrain, rather than build, but definitely worth it. These are Food Supplies from Ristuls Market, a Polish company who make some great little pieces. I also got some treasure piles, to make a Union goal and as special treasure in Frostgrave, and treasure chests, for use as normal treasure in Frostgrave. All these are purchasable from The Dice Bag Lady in the UK (see links) who, as @munkeykungfu coincidently mentioned in a blog today, is known for awesome (my wife got me a load of Frostgrave stuff from her for Christmas and said she was super helpful and friendly, and has a great selection of realistic female adventurers).

vreFl0D.jpg

As a bought set, easiest terrain to make. I drilled a hole underneath and added magnets to I can keep them in my biscuit tin ;) then sprayed white, base coated all the wood, wicker and sacking, washed with Army Painter Strong Tone then fretted for ages about how to paint the fruit and veg. Can you spot:

1. apples?
  2. oranges?
  3. peaches?
  4. pumpkins?
  5. potatoes?
  6. blueberries?
  7. grain/couscous?
  8. cabbage?
  9. kale/bok choi? (I couldn't decide what it was supposed to be, slapped some paint on, then decided what it most looked like)
  10. mushrooms?
  11. spring greens (so my wife tells me)?

I have to say, these are great as obstructions. Simple to paint, great appearance on the pitch, all under 2" in every direction. There are 8 in the pack, but I left out the smallest two, as 6 makes me fill the last 'slot' (Organised Play Document lists 4-7 pieces, at least 50% obstructions) with something else, like the field, wall or a future piece, for variety.

Next - WOODS! or a photo of my terrain tin :lol:

Bookmarking this, as someone has a better idea than me as to what all the fruit and veg baskets from Ristuls are! :D Bought a stack before Christmas but haven't put paint on yet - they're lovely sculpts, aren't they? Yours look fantastic.

Thanks, they are a great set, and easy to paint. I did download a 'vegetable identification guide' to help me with the cabbages. I may need that for a future project as well. Next piece won't be soon as I have two tournaments coming up next month and I need to finish the team I'm taking and details on my goal, plus I had a demo game of Batman yesterday, so now Ninjas and Liam Neeson quotes are taking up a larger proportion of my idle thoughts that are normally reserved for Guild Ball.

Important question: how flat do you like your terrain? I'm looking at making my forest out of cork tiles, but to support the trees I'd need to have raised areas for the trees to slot into. When removing the trees, there would still be a hump, maybe 5mm or so, where the raised area is.

How reluctant/worried would you be about this in a piece of terrain? I have a similar issue with another piece of rough ground I love the idea for, but it will have multiple small 'lumps' (less than 5mm tall - I hope - and about the same that wide). I am not sure whether it's better to put them closer together so models sit on top of them, or space them so there is at least a 30mm gap to place standard bases in.

I made a forest terrain piece using a bit of 1/4" thick cork board recently and it wasn't bad. The trees are plastic ones with detachable bases, so I hollowed out the underside of the cork for the bases to rest in and poked a hole in the top for the tree trunk to slip into the base. I also cut the edges of the cork piece down at an angle so there wasn't an abrupt step up into the woods. Works like a charm.

Anyone find a decent place for stock 2D or 3D terrain that fits the tournament rules for Guild Ball? I am not as crafty as some and all the stuff I am finding online is sized for Warmahordes.