S_A_T_S

Marital Matches

Play my first two games this weekend, using 2.0 rules against my wife. She enjoys boardgames and loves the art, sculpting and painting assosiated with miniatures, but I've never been able to find a miniatures game she likes to play. Bloodbowl she can just about manage half a game before she gets bored and frustrated. So Guild Ball, with great art, few models and an open movement system should be better (any game that lets her roll big handfuls of dice is also onto a winner).

I could only find a 2'x2' board to use, so we cut the set up ranges by 1/3 and only played with 3 models each to make learning easier.

Game 1. As the other half loves the look of the Fishermen, I took Butcher, won the roll and chose to recieve. My wife was thinking more tactically to start and kicked the ball down the flank I'd foolishly left open. Some good use of Quickfoot saw Shark score in the first round. Boar was a beast and beat Shark into the dirt while Ox and Brisket took the ball from the goal kick and moved down to the Fishy goal. The next 2-3 turns ended up as a mass brawl within 6" of the FIshy goal and Kraken and Siren conspired to keep my ball carrier's KD'd and Boar combo'd with Ox to dish out some massive pain. Eventually I was able to charge Siren out of the way to give Brisket the space to score, despite Kraken playing keeper. The goal kick sent the ball straight down the other end to Shark who promptly slammed it in to make it 2-1.

Thanks to Ox allowing Boar to combo effects with Berzerk, Siren was taken out, putting a lot of pressure on Shark (who was down to 3 HP after a charge by Ox). Shark avenged Siren by removing Brisket, causing the ball to scatter onto the goal, which then kicked the ball far to the left flank. Boar was able to charge and KD Shark a mere inch from the ball, but due to taking a quick breather, Shark had regained just enough HP to stay alive this time. Ox sprinted to get Shark in a Butcher sandwich and claim the ball, but then my wife pulled off the play she had been trying to get the entire game - Kraken used an MP to stand up, then charged into the rear of Boar and UNLEASHED THE KRAKEN! Boar flew off into the distance, allowing Shark to stand up and take his full TAC against Ox, stealing the ball and making a max range kick at goal to get the Fishes to the magic 3-1.

Game 2 (after 24 hours rest and waiting for her to suggest a rematch to make sure she doesn't suffer game fatigue - I really want to have a miniature game we can play, and she seemed to really like that first game). We kept the same teams but changed our models. Greyscales looked amazing on paper and Angel comboed nicely with Shark, while I wanted to test out the bleed rules on Boiler and took Shank for a more manouverable charger. I recieved again (I have not lost a single Initiative or Kick Off roll yet, which drives the other half up the wall - in this game, she managed to roll a 6 to match my 5 + 1MP, then rolled another 6 which sadly failed to beat my 6 + 1MP. Led to some wailing and gnashing of teeth). Greyscales was super quick down the flank but still couldn't quite reach Boiler, who embedded a knife in his chest then advanced onto the ball. Sadly, Angel and Shark were able to get around Shanks blocking move to tackle Boiled and use Angel's HUGE number of kick dice (with super shot) to get the Fishermen on the scoreboard.

At this point we got the the key point of the game - I was in a position to 'Get 'em lads!' and charge Greyscales with Ox and Boiler (Greyscales and Shank having already activated). Combined with 2 turns of Bleed, it would be pretty easy to remove Greyscales with Ox's bonuses stacking on both my models. However, I decided against this as removing what my wife had already refered to as "my new favourite" would not be a good way to keep her attention and interest... I would come to regret this choice, as Greyscales spent the rest of the game using his nippy-ness to put pressure on my models whenever they got close to the ball (luckily for me we didn't remember the +1 TAC to every friend in 8" until much later in the game). I tried a gamble when Boiler managed to get hold of the ball (within Greyscale's melee range) by kicking to Ox and using the MP for a pass & move, thinking "Angel doesn't seem to hard, I can risk the parting shot"... then my wife informed me she only needed one hit to get a tackle AND an MP... which she promptly used to punt the ball over Ox and onto the goal (despite being engaged and LOS-blocked by Ox and Boiler playing keeper, she managed to roll a screamer). 2-0, but now Shank had the ball and was closing on the opposite end. Shark, however, was faster and knocked Shank down, conveniently scattering the ball EXACTLY onto Shark's head. Ox, meanwhile, flattened Angel then moved into the middle of the pitch in an attempt to block Shark's view to the goal, and Boiler flailed ineffectively at Greyscales.

In the last turn (yeah, we can all see what's gonna happen), Shank got up and stuffed his attack, being 1 hit short of doing anything useful (really needed a Where He Go? to block off Shark's options). Shark, however, had piled on the INF, hit Shank for a 2" Dodge and 1MP, used Quickfoot to get around Ox and had an inch to spare for his kick on goal, this time only needing 5+ (Boiler never really got to move away from the goal, thanks to Shark and Angel's constant threats and Greyscales nipping back and forth to box him in).

Observations and Questions

1. Love the game, as does my wife due to the small number of interesting characters, and that no matter the number of dice you roll, you still have to make a single choice from the playbook.
  2. Does Ox's 'The Owner' combo with Boar's 'Berzerk'? We played it as such, and I was able to charge for free (11 dice), KD the target and get +1 DMG from Ox, which, as written, triggers Berzerk, allowing me to hit the now prone target with another 11 dice, usually hitting enough to get 5 DMG (6 with Ox). My wife insists this is overpowered.
  3. Speaking of overpowered, we think the +2 TAC for parting shots slowed down the game. Moving out of melee zones never happened because it is giving someone a free charge on you, which led to several turns having very little movement as we became trapped in big brawls. This might partly be due to smaller teams of three and n00b plays, but reducing the Parting Shot to +1 TAC or less might make it more of a risky move, less of a suicidal move.
  4. Can you use Shadow-Like while KD'd? My wife reasoned it isn't movement, but placement so the rules as written don't prevent it.
  5. Can you tackle someone who doesn't have the ball? Angel got a single hit at one point, and my wife would much prefer the MP than the 1 damage but her target didn't have the ball. Again, nothing we could see actually prevents her choosing that option (Tackle says "If the target model has the ball, active takes possession of ball from the target model". The target doesn't, but I've already picked the Tackle result so I get the MP? Doesn't feel like that is the intended function)
  6. Sexual politics - we were a little concerned that ALL the female characters we have played with (Angel, Siren and Brisket) have some sort of "Look at me, I'm so sexy" ability - Charmed, Too Cute, Beautiful. I know miniature wargames are almost entirely played by young males, but I'd be reluctant to introduce my nephews and niece to the game for fear of reinforcing gender sterotypes. We'd both love to see more females added with different abilities to dilute the "Look at me!"'s.

The main thing we discussed after the second game was that I am not playing the Butchers to the best I can - my wife noticed I was pulling punches on Greyscales. The thread is called Marital Matches because playing with my wife changes how I play - I have to ensure the game is fun for both of us, and I know taking out her players will annoy her a lot more than if I am able to beat her on goals, but I find it quite hard to get goals with the Butchers. I often play a very 'hitty' orc team in BloodBowl, so I'm looking to play something a bit different in Guild Ball to take advantage of the lack of a grid. I'll probably test the Morticians next as the Mason sound a bit hitty, and I do like playing control-style. Can't wait for the Mortician Paper Dolls!

TL:DR - Guild Ball good. Wife like also, but no like hitty-hitty. Next time, full teams or Morticians.

1. Love the game, as does my wife due to the small number of interesting characters, and that no matter the number of dice you roll, you still have to choice a single choice from the playbook.
  2. Does Ox's 'The Owner' combo with Boar's 'Berzerk'? We played it as such, and I was able to charge for free (11 dice), KD the target and get +1 DMG from Ox, which, as written, triggers Berzerk, allowing me to hit the now prone target with another 11 dice, usually hitting enough to get 5 DMG (6 with Ox). My wife insists this is overpowered.
  3. Speaking of overpowered, we think the +2 TAC for parting shots slowed down the game. Moving out of melee zones never happened because it is giving someone a free charge on you, which led to several turns having very little movement as we became trapped in big brawls. This might partly be due to smaller teams of three and n00b plays, but reducing the Parting Shot to +1 TAC or less might make it more of a risky move, less of a suicidal move.
  4. Can you use Shadow-Like while KD'd? My wife reasoned it isn't movement, but placement so the rules as written don't prevent it.
  5. Can you tackle someone who doesn't have the ball? Angel got a single hit at one point, and my wife would much prefer the MP than the 1 damage but her target didn't have the ball. Again, nothing we could see actually prevents her choosing that option (Tackle says "If the target model has the ball, active takes possession of ball from the target model". The target doesn't, but I've already picked the Tackle result so I get the MP? Doesn't feel like that is the intended function)
  6. Sexual politics - we were a little concerned that ALL the female characters we have played with (Angel, Siren and Brisket) have some sort of "Look at me, I'm so sexy" ability - Charmed, Too Cute, Beautiful. I know miniature wargames are almost entirely played by young males, but I'd be reluctant to introduce my nephews and niece to the game for fear of reinforcing gender sterotypes. We'd both love to see more females added with different abilities to dilute the "Look at me!"'s.

2.  Any "+DMG" only applies to DMG results on a Playbook, therefore if you KD someone with Boar not only do you not get any +DMG, & because of that you don't trigger berserk.

3. The reason for the +2 is so you can tie up someone in "melee", especially the high speed high DEF kickers.  What this forces you to do is firstly make the hard choice if you want to take a Partial Blow, especially hard of someone has a KD result in columns 1 or 2. Or  forces you to take out the person with melee range on the player you want to move next, by either Knocking them Down, or Pushing them away.  It probably didn't help playing 3vs3, where the game is designed for a 6v6 game.

4. Yes you can, think of it them rolling on the floor. - The KD rules will be updated soon on an Errata, keep track of the rules questions sections.

5. Yes you can Tackle someone without the ball; this will do nothing except give a MP (if colored).

6. Yes it's been pointed out before, it's being reduced and cleaned up a little, plus working the other way around as well as a few other ways.

Overall thanks for your feedback, first impressions are always welcome.   One thing to remember though is that the game is being designed and balanced around a 3x3' table with 6v6 team - and while people are free to play on whatever size table or number of players they like, it's hard to take into account feedback into consideration as it drastically alters the game mechanics. 

For example Boar would dominate a 3v3, but in a 6v6 he is just a strong melee champ.

Keep reports coming people!

Thanks for the replies. I know it's designed for bigger teams (although for some reason I thought it was 5v5 rather than 6v6), but we went for 3v3 due to small size table and needing to get to know the characters (and copying the Beast of War demo game ;)). As I have a week off work coming, I'm going to be checking out the DIY shops to see if I can get hold of a 3'x3' board to start making a proper sized playing area.

Only adding +1 to DMG results isn't clear in Ox's rules, but my wife will certainly be pleased that Boar is toned down a little, not to mention being able to generate MP with tackles, not that she needs the help at the moment!

It's under the play book results.

Under the number "2" it explains all +DMG only applied to these results. It's been missed a lot and it should be cleaner in 3.0

It's under the play book results.

Under the number "2" it explains all +DMG only applied to these results. It's been missed a lot and it should be cleaner in 3.0

My suggestion (off the top of my head) would be to change how +DMG abilities are worded.  Right now they say "+x DMG to all playbook results."  What they ACTUALLY do is add "+x to all DMG playbook results."

My suggestion (off the top of my head) would be to change how +DMG abilities are worded.  Right now they say "+x DMG to all playbook results."  What they ACTUALLY do is add "+x to all DMG playbook results."

It's already been changed on V2.5 internal cards, in fact it was changed just after 2.0 release,  but thanks for any feedback ;-)

Also it will be made clearer in the v3.0 rules.

Kraken was great for that, as it's really easy for him to KD people, gaining MP for himself and forcing the other team to either waste an activation or burn a precious, precious Motivation Point to get back up.

I need to go back and read through more thoroughly (as I kind of skimmed) but I had to stop in and say how awesome it is that you have not only gotten your wife to play, but that she enjoyed it!

Gives me hope that I will somehow be able to convince my own to give it a shot!

It's already been changed on V2.5 internal cards, in fact it was changed just after 2.0 release,  but thanks for any feedback ;-)

Also it will be made clearer in the v3.0 rules.

Fair enough.  I'll also log a vote that the wrong way is more fun.

@Gary: My wife has a background in art and design, so I get her interested by showing her the concept art work, which is a style she loves (pencils and watercolour painting). If she likes the art, she starts thinking about world and how she'd paint the models, and then I can say "Well, if you're going to paint the models, you need to know how to play the game so you can understand the world and get a better idea of the characters, not to mention making sure you get your moneys worth out of the miniatures by painting AND playing with them." Basically, it's all about the art for her.

Hmm... I will have to try and think of a way to bend that into working on my wife. She has thus far avoided delving too deep into the setting but maybe I can find something that interests her to act as a hook.

Finally got to play a game on our new table! Beware, this may take some time...

Game 3. This game was our first on a 3'x3' and with 6 players.

Things started pretty badly for me, as my wife discovered the combo of Kraken's Harpoon and Siren's Lure. 1st turn I had moved Boiler slightly out of position to try a throwing knife on Greyscales, but he was then pulled all the way across the board by K and S, then blocked in by Angel. By the time he was able to activate in the next turn, he was on 2 HP and could not move anywhere without taking a parting shot. With a final burst of vindictiveness, he managed to get bleed on Siren before being taken down.

I'd sent the ball one way and had two players following it, when Greyscales managed to shift over there, kick it across the board and scattering to within 10" of the opposite edge. Shark pegged it down there using Quickfoot and Salt's boost, then got boxed in by Ox and Shank (this is when I discovered Shank only does damage and movement - almost impossible to KD or Tackle with him). Ox tackled the ball, passed back to Brisket, but Shark did his thing, snuck round Ox, tackled the ball back, kicked to Angel who then scored! As revenge, Boar finally got into the game and hit Shark 4 times for 12 damage, 4 MP and a bonus MP for taking his man out (Boar is scary as hell. My wife hates him).

My goal kick scattered way too far and the crowd put the ball back in the centre, letting Greyscales pass it back down to Angel. Luckily, Brisket and Princess (I love my doggy) double teamed Angel to win back the ball, but Brisket's kick scattered back to my left hand corner. While this was going on, K and S had pulled in Boar and were keeping him pinned to the floor. My wife found it hard going without Shark, as she now had 5 INF less per turn (no Lighten Up bonus from Angel).

Princess made a break for the ball, kicked it to Ox who used the MP to move up toward the Fishermen goal to keep out of Angel's charge. Greyscales did some stupid manoeuvring, Shadow-Liking up to Boar to get a Where He Go? for an MP and to move closer to Ox, pushing Ox back and STILL having his Move available (Greyscales is my wife's favourite). I managed to get Brisket, Shank and Ox on Greyscales, push him out of the way and move Ox up to take a shot at goal... out of range! Siren takes the ball from the scatter.

This is the nastiest part of the game... Siren moves behind Kraken, luring Ox up next to the KD'd Boar. I realise I can just reach Siren with Shank as Siren has taken some damage, boosting his move. It's only after I roll the dice I realise he can't really do anything to her! My wife then starts laughing, as she thinks she can get Kraken to within 2" of the KD'd Boar, Ox AND Shank... and she's right. Ox and Shank get KD'd too, and next round Boar can't get past Kraken's 4 ARM (Siren boost) to do anything besides damage. Kraken pummels Shank into the ground for the final 10 damage and wipes him out! Boar KD's Kraken, freeing himself and Ox. With 5 minutes until our agreed end time (we were up to 4 hours 25 minutes of play by this point), I pile all my INF on Ox and charge Siren, desperate for a Tackle result to take a shot on goal. My wife points out Siren's Charmed, meaning I need 5+. With all 4 of my attack rolls, I fail to get enough hits to take the ball from her, even spending the MP I get for extra dice, and we run out of time.

1-0 to the Fishes.

• Larger board means a lot more manoeuvring space, and I need to be careful not to split my team like I did in the first turn.
  • Games take a long time. Might have to work on some small game rules to keep it appealing to my other half.
  • Fishermen have some horrible, horrible combos (Greyscales Just Listen, Kraken and Siren)
  • Kraken can really dish out the hurt, and with Greyscales Just Listen, the Fishermen are certainly capable of playing the damage game.
  • Does Just Listen work when Greyscales is KD'd? We weren't sure, so rolled for it this time.
  • I either need more practice with the Butchers, or to change to another team, as I'm just not getting the wins. I probably need to ignore the ball for the first few turns and just gang up on someone.
  • My wife is looking into how to train dice, as she rolled a huge amount of 1's and it pissed her off quite badly ;)
  • Next time, maybe we will add some terrain, now we're getting the hang of the rules.

With regards to the game time this will drastically be reduced the more you play. It should be down to 60-90mins after a while.

Re: Greyscales : all traits still work unless you need LOS when KD

60-90 minutes?!?! At the moment, I find that hard to believe, but then I've only played three games, so I'll try to keep an open mind ;)

OK, so all plays with range need LOS and can't be used KD'd, but things like Shark's Teamwork, Ox's The Owner and Greyscale's Just Listen simply require the presence of another model. What else needs LOS, just so I have a list (we like Knock Down results)?

That last one took us from 5:30pm to 10pm, slowed slightly by ordering a takeaway, but as we ate only while the other person was taking their turn, it didn't slow the game too much. As you saw, the game ended 1-0.

The previous 3 player games took somewhere around 4 hours each, but we were learning the rules at the same time (a lot of checking the QPRs). The Fishermen did manage to win both of those with 3 goals though. We'll have to try and get some more games in to see if we can reduce the time.

@Martin G: I've played GW games for about 18-20 years, but haven't played any wargames since moving back to Norfolk almost 3 years ago. Closest I've come is D&D/Pathfinder with the friend I always used to play those GW games with and a few other guys we know. I play a variety of board games with the same people every so often as well.

My wife has never played any wargames. She's tried 40k very briefly, we've played a couple of games of Bloodbowl, and several games of Warhammer but she gets bored and frustrated with them about 60 minutes in. We've also got several Magic decks each, watch Tabletop and play boardgames when we can. She engages in all my games because she has always been arty and the art and painting in Magic and GW is very high quality (not my painting unfortunately). Part of the problem with wargames is she has a shortish attention span, is surprisingly competitive and not very tactical. The last two are a bad combo - she really wants to win, but gets frustrated trying to work out how  ;)

We've talked about why she likes Guild Ball as we were both surprised she stayed engaged for 4 1/2 hours. She thinks it's the Fishermen art (which she loves), pretty straight forward rules and the teams are very characterful - instead of the generic duplicates in Bloodbowl, Necromunda or Dreadball, in Guild Ball every model has a personality and their own story. It also helps that we are learning a new game together, so it doesn't feel like I am teaching her. It's a more equal situation.

I feel like I'm writing too much. Hope you guys don't mind me rambling a little, it's just how I get the thoughts out :P.

Managed to squeeze a 4th game in!

Game 4. We set up pretty much as the previous game, with mascot support groups on our respective right flanks and the other players spreading out to the left. This time, however, I learnt my lesson and my firs move was to put Swift Stance on Brisket and Boiler to try and prevent the Lure combo that killed me last time. This suitably irritated my wife and my evil plan began...

As Kraken couldn't Harpoon, Shark used Quickfoot on him after recieving the ball from Greyscales, then pegged it down my left flank with Angel in support. Kraken then attempted to sprint down the pitch to reach Ox and cover the centre, but was just out of range. I got Shank up next to Kraken in the hope of being able to win the initiative, but rolled poorly. My wife put 4 INF on Kraken and procceeded to beat Shank to death, then stepped forward and floored Ox. My plan slightly hampered by Shanks death, I stood Ox back up with INF, called his Legendary Play, and quickly got revenge by following Ox's 2 attacks with charges by Brisket and Boiler, finishing Kraken with stupid amounts of damage (+2 damage on Boiler thanks to Princess combined with The Owner and Get 'em Lads meant I only needed a single successful hit to do the final 5 damage). Boar was then able to use the momentum gained to stand up and charge Shark, who had managed to score a goal in the meantime.

Turn 3 saw Brisket with the ball, but I was trying to keep up the evil plan of playing to the Butcher's strengths, and so she and Princess charged into Siren in an effort to pick on someone weak. Turns out Angel would have been a much better target, as a) she is a little weaker and B) Angel has Tackle in her 1st paybook column and was able to sneak in, take the ball and pass down to Greyscales for a shot on goal... which missed! Wife was very upset that Greyscales had let her down. Greyscales missed badly enough that the ball scattered into the crowd and went straight back to Brisket!

It's at this point I made a stupid mistake - in my excitement of beating on Siren, I moved Boiler to her side to take advantage fo the bonus damage, forgetting he is by far the best kicker on my team and has terrible TAC! This blocked Ox from moving in, and so I was forced to pass the ball back from Brisket to Ox, Siren was still standing, and Boiler was in a poor position! To add insult to injury, Shark activated his legendary play at this point, dropping Ox's sprint to 4", no where near enough to get away.

Thanks to my poor play, Siren used Seduce to see over Princess's head (Ox hadn't been able to get far enough around) to force Ox to kick the ball back to Shark, who used his activation to Tidal Surge the ineffective Boar (I kept rolling 1 hit short of a KD) out of the way and score! This time the ball scattered just in front of Ox, who sprinted for the goal and was soon joined by Boiler after finally finishing off Siren. Angel finished off the turn by coming 1/2" short on her charge against Ox...

The last turn was a desperate scrap, as Ox failed to KD Angel, and so was forced to pass the ball to Boiler for a dig at goal (either that or lose the ball to Angel). I scored, and my wife was positive it was the first time that had ever happened (I did manage to get a goal in the first game we played). My wife managed to fail to get a 4+ on her goal kick toward Shark and the ball scattered 11" straight toward my goal... and Boar. My wife worked out she needed to gain some MP 1st, so attacked Ox with Angel, getting the dodge she needed to avoid a Parting Shot, get 1MP and be able to sprint to position to block any charges on Greyscales. I had to activate Boar and take the ball just to force a Fisherman to attack, which Greyscales did, using his maneuverability to tackel Boar and kick back to Shark for a Pass'n'Move to guarantee I could not reach Shark with any of my plays. My last act of the game was to charge Greyscale with Brisket... but I was 1" off. Shark then finished his hattrick by scraping a shot past Boar (needing 5+'s, my wife managed three 3's and a single 5 on her kick roll).

3-1 Fishes

• Can you only charge in a straight line? Is it possible to charge around and obstruction as long as you are still moving the shortest possible distance?
  • What does happen if a charge is short? The INF is spent and the model moves its max sprint distance toward the target?
  • Which, if any, charge interruptions can be used whilst KD'd? We have been playing that none can be used.
  • This game only took 3 hours, with an hours rest in the middle. It helped that 2 players were taken out very early.
  • Scoring was actually a bad choice for me, as it handed the ball to the Fishermen. However, holding on to the ball would have added a lot more time.
  • Butchers seem a slow team - it can take a while to beat down the other team.
  • I am looking forward to playing the Morticians in our next game. They seem to be a bit more like the Fishermen, with more plays and tricks so I might be able to score a little more  ;)

1. Charges and Sprints are straight line only - it's so you can tactically move models to block or use terrian to your advantage.

2. INF is lost and you move your max charge distance towards the target.

3. None - will make sure that's clear in v3.0

Nice report!

My wife had a day off yesterday and to make up for getting my work clothes covered in bike grease (long story), suggested we play a game of Guild Ball! This time, I chose to play as the Morticians, as I'd put the dolls together only a couple of days earlier, and my wife encouraged me to take notes on the game, as she enjoys reading back my reports and picking up all my errors.

Game 5. Straight away, Dirge shoots forward to grab the ball and attempts to kick it back to Obulus. Too late, I realise that Dirge has the worst kick distance in the game! Luckily, the ball can only scatter 2" and so still ends up close enough to snap to Ob. The Fishermen move forward, luring Cosset closer and giving me a great opportunity to show my wife it isn't just Boar who has Furious. Sadly, Silence is just too slow to back her up, so Cosset loses several HP to Greyscales and Siren. Shark moves to counter Graves who is creeping up the right flank,  but leaves himself open to a Puppet Master from Ob, who moves him to the centre of my lines, into Dirge's melee range. With the bonus INF, I put Confidence on Ghast who charges in and applies an Old Fashioned Tackle.

The next turn, I win a crucial initiative and promptly activate Silence to Shutout Shark. This now means Shark is KD'd inside Dirge and Ghast's melee range, well in Ob's Shadow-Like range, and close enough for Graves to put the charge in, and I know he is going to take it all as he now has to activate last! My wife worked out what was happening but couldn't do much about it as I had also used Tucked to force Siren to go next. Siren's only option was to hit Cosset, who was standing directly in her LOS to my players around Shark (except Dirge, but who wants to Lure a 5+ DEF mascot?). Cosset used her crazed attacks to push back both Greyscales and Siren, then her free charge to join the Shark Death Squad! This also put her into Kraken's LOS, preventing him charging in, or using his Harpoon on Obulus! Cosset paid for this heroic move however, by becoming the target of a Harpoon herself. Being on 5 HP at this point, Cosset never acted in the game again, but was an effective barrier to Kraken for the next turn. The turn ended with Greyscale using his ridiculous movement to tackle the ball from Obulus and score, then Ghast managing to attack wrap around for the final 9 DMG to finish Shark.

My turn three opened with Kraken punching Angel (mwhahaha, Puppet Master!) and Silence attempting to Tuck Kraken, to allow Dirge, my ball carrier, a free run past him later in the turn. However, Silence rolled snake eyes! With his final INF, Silence pushes Greyscales away from Dirge. Ghast moves up to pummel Siren, and Angel is forced to use an MP to stand, then waste her movement walking around Ghast to get out of Ob's Laid to Ruin (LtR) range (needed 3 INF to attack Ghast, only had 2).

By turn 4, my wife has become very frustrated with Obulus and has christened him 'Obu-Twat'. She also learnt to hate Silence this turn, and I won Initiative and Shutout Greyscales, who had 4 of her remaining INF on him! The rest of her team failed to do anything due to the loss of Shark's INF and LtR. My team moved to encircle hers, while Greyscales ended this turn and began the next (my wife actually won the next initiative roll!) by taking Silence from full health to death singlehanded, in the process relieving a little of her frustration.

With some careful manouvering through melee zones, Kraken managed to get into the path of ball-carrying Graves, and Angel and Salt are engaging the goal. Ob Puppet Master's Salt off the goal, and it took the rest of my team all their actions (except a vindictive swipe on Siren from Ghast - hate her ARM buff on Kraken!) to move Kraken back enough so that Graves could Disarm Kraken and charge at Angel. Thanks to the pummeling he gives her, Angel Bleeds to death in the next Maintenance Phase, but Graves is forced to push Greyscale (he is so incredibly mobile!) off the goal before he takes a shot... and misses! His chase of the kick puts him just over 1" away.

Kraken goes for the ball himself, but is KD'd by Ghast's parting blow. Obulus then uses the 5 INF I had planned for Puppet Master to:

1. Shadow-Like onto the ball
  2. Attack Kraken for 1" Dodge and MP
  3. Attack Kraken for 1" Dodge and MP
  4. Attack Kraken for 1" Dodge and MP, finally getting around Kraken's unconscious form
  5. Use Confidence on himself
  6. Walk away from Kraken directly toward the goal and...
  7. SCORE! Didn't even need Confidence, justifying his confidence.

Greyscales picked up ball and went like the clappers for my goal, while Ghast finally beat Siren to death, leaving Salt and Kraken at the mercy of most of my team. Dirge used his movement to rush back into a defensive position.

Obulus sprinted back down the pitch to get in Puppet Master range of Greyscales, forcing him to kick it toward Ghast. Kraken stood back up to KD Graves, attempting to prevent another shot on Goal. Grave uses his single INF to stand, while Salt uses an MP to stand (no INF). Ghast attacks Salt for an Old Fashioned Tackle, then moves just up to kicking range of Graves. I need a 5+ on my one KICK dice... 6! Graves uses up my 2 MP for a Dig and I make a little speech:

"My name is Graves's Maximus Morticius, striker of the team of the Morticians. Husband to a murdered Cosset, father to a murdered Silence, I will have my vengeance, in this game or the next."

... and completely fluffs his kick!

Kraken puts Grave back in his place (face down on the floor), but Ghast continues his killing spree by making a nice otter skin handbag for his ol' mam (his personal kill tally: Shark, Siren and Salt) while Greyscale again runs the length of the pitch to get close to the ball.

In the last turn, Obulus and Ghast ganged up to put out Kraken (another notch for Ghast) while Greyscales moves around to engage the goal (not enough INF to reach the ball). Graves stands, retrieves the ball and uses his 3" melee to attack Greyscales. I announce I'll use my 4 successes to push the G-man back when my wife says "You know he only has 2 HP left, right?" so I change my mind and kill the final member of the Fishes team, and Graves is able to use his last point of INF to redeem himself by scoring his first goal from 3 attempts!

• Do you get an MP for someone Bleeding to death in the Maintainence Phase?
  • When does a Parting Blow take place? Kraken was right on the edge of the melee zone before he moved so he took a parting blow before physically moving, in the same way that charge interruptions are done before the charger actually moves. We wondered if he would be able to spend INF to stand up as he had not actually used any of his movement yet.
  • I had more fun in this game than the others, but my wife had much less! However, she still said she enjoyed losing this game more than she has enjoyed most Bloodbowl games she's played!
  • Dirge is so far the most useful Mascot we have used, due to his massive movement.
  • Puppet Master is good, but I only used it 3 times. Obulus is good to put INF on anyway, with some great abilities and playbook, but it was just as useful to spread out the INF, especially on Graves, for ball handling and causing bleed, and Silence, for controlling the opposing teams activation order.
  • As said above, Cosset feels a waste of KICK stats. She should be moving and hitting, not ball handling.
  • Game lasted 4 hours 30ish minutes and ended 2-1. Not bad for a 1st game with a new team, but it helped that the Fishermen weren't really doing anything for the last 4 turns.
  • I struggled to really work out what to do with the Morticians once I had shut down Shark. If my other half had had a little more INF and remembered Laid to Ruin, this game probably would have ended the same way as the others.
  • I was asked to find some long background music on Youtube while we played and put on Nyancat as a joke. 4 hours 15 minutes later it was still on. The last half hour was looping Gangnam Style...
Edited by S_A_T_S