Sign in to follow this  
Tonio

Tonio's workshop

I've been done with Princess for a couple of weeks, but was out of tuft for the base. Finally got my hands on some and finalized the base. I'm taking a quick break of the butchers to do... some more Guild Ball!  Painting my Fishermen starter quickly. Won't do QSR demos with primed models anymore. I'm doing a quicker job with those than the butchers, but I think they will still come out nicely.

823749_sm-Butchers%2C%20Dog%2C%20Guild%2
823748_sm-Butchers%2C%20Dog%2C%20Guild%2

823750_sm-Fishermen%2C%20Guild%20Ball%2C

2 hours ago, MuffinMan said:

Ox looks amazing o.O

Thanks. He's the one I put the more time on, so I'm happy it shows. :)

Another terrain for the GB tournament next week in progress, a tree stump that will be used as a Obstructions that models fit on.  I'll probably mould and cast it to have multiple copies.  The core is done, I just need to add the bark texture.

828707_sm-Guild%20Ball%2C%20Sculpting%2C
828708_sm-Guild%20Ball%2C%20Sculpting%2C
828709_sm-Guild%20Ball%2C%20Sculpting%2C

The stump is done, and I did my first ever resin casting. Crisp details, light. A lot simpler to do than metal.  Some bubbles though, so I can see why degassing is important. Not equipped for that, but I might look into it eventually. Now, I have to cast some more of those and it will be a good start to an Hunters themed table.

829221_sm-Casting%2C%20Sculpting%2C%20St

Finished the last two models of my Fishermen starter, Shark and Siren. And a group shot.  

Next personal goal is to finish my Butchers starting six. Boar is more than halfway there, and Shanks got some base coats on. After that, I'll tackle the custom goal markers.

837209_sm-Fishermen%2C%20Guild%20Ball%2C
837210_sm-Fishermen%2C%20Guild%20Ball%2C
837211_sm-Fishermen%2C%20Guild%20Ball%2C

Lovely work, I especially like Siren!

I'll need to get started painting my morts so I can at least have a starter 3 by the time I beg for an introduction game (playing against myself on Vassal, while it helps get a better grasp on the mechanics, does very little to get a feel for the actual game)... ;)

32 minutes ago, Spinsane said:

Lovely work, I especially like Siren!

I'll need to get started painting my morts so I can at least have a starter 3 by the time I beg for an introduction game (playing against myself on Vassal, while it helps get a better grasp on the mechanics, does very little to get a feel for the actual game)... ;)

Siren is my favourite of the bunch too, even if I like Angel's eyes better.

By the way, as you are in Montreal too, anytime you want an intro or full game, just let me know, we'll get that done. :)

AFAIK, you're at the GV every other thursday, right? I'll drop by next week, wish I could have come by last thursday...

+ Edit : And thanks for the offer, btw ;)

Nice paintwork! And the tree stumps came out great too.

Having messed around with casting a few times, there’s a cheap and dirty trick for degassing resin (as long as it has at least a few minutes of cure time, I aim for more than 5 for safety).

Get yourself a 50ml plastic disposable syringe, completely pull out the plunger, and lightly block the nozzle with a little blob of plasticine or something. You can measure your resin parts into it (I try not to go above 20ml total volume), then hold the nozzle seal in place with some paper towel and push the plunger back in just enough for it to seal.

Turn the whole thing over a few times to mix the resin, finishing with the nozzle pointing upward, and carefully release the nozzle seal (having the paper towel covering it will catch the inevitable little spit of resin that was trapped there).

Then push out the air, put your finger over the nozzle (gloves or some plastic wrap are useful here to avoid sticky fingers), and pull the plunger carefully back again - the pressure drop will pull a lot of the air out of the resin. You can do that a couple of times, then inject the resin into your mould gently.

Not perfect, but reasonably effective and a cheap plastic syringe is easier to get than a vacuum chamber :)

Thanks for the tip about small batch degassing. I'll have to try it. :)

It probably ruins your seringues, right?  So you need some cheap throwaway ones?

3 minutes ago, Tonio said:

Thanks for the tip about small batch degassing. I'll have to try it. :)

It probably ruins your seringues, right?  So you need some cheap throwaway ones?

If you’re careful to drain them and pull out the plunger before it all sets, then they can last a few runs. The plunger does get stiffer and more troublesome each time though, so I tend to only use them for 3-4 runs. Definitely use disposable ones:)

On 9/26/2018 at 1:56 AM, Swissmade said:

Great Work! I like You're skintones generaly and the dirty white on This Model a lot! 

Thanks!  Those parts do take the most time on those minis. So much skin on Boar...

Some progress on the pig last night:
Truffles-wip-e1538136122213.jpg