Sign in to follow this  
Tonio

Tonio's workshop

I've had my Butchers for a couple of months now, but with other commitments, painting them always took a second place is my priority list. However, I'm having a small hole is my other ongoing projects right now, so it was time to put paint to models!

I just started working on Ox. I'm gonna do the three models from the starter first, as I do some demos and they'll get the more use. I'm going with a scheme similar to the artwork. I like the muted tone on them. Right now, it's mostly colour blocking and some shading work on the pants and apron.  More to come soon I hope. :)

Ox-wip1_zpsownxedol.jpg

I also painted one of my Zuzzy mat to use for demos. Simple and quick, but it does the job.

GB-demo-pitch_zpsvq3fgttn.jpg

I have a 3x3 I want to do in similar colours for full game too.

Edited by Tonio

A bit more work done on Ox. Might be able to finish him tonight, as there shouldn't be other stuff in the way at home. Yay for the holiday break starting in a couple hours!

Ox-wip2_zpsdkdfcmzv.jpg

I also put a first base coat on my fullsize mat. No pic, as it's just a 3x3 brown square right now...

Edited by Tonio

Thank you both!

I took a pause on Ox last night to work on my game mat, but I'll be returning to him this evening. Only missing the goal tokens zones and goal lines.

20151218_234221_zpsyjsayyff.jpg
20151219_005805_zpspmrfv2xs.jpg

And done! I'm really happy with how he turned out. Sadly need to take a pause to work on some commissions before I go back to the rest of the team, but I hope it's gonna be quick as I had a blast painting him.

I'm not sure about the brown rim on the base though. It's neutral and ties in well enough with the basing itself, but I wonder if a deep red would work better for Butchers.  Might be harder to fit Union models later if I want them to tie in with more than one team... :unsure:

Ox-final-front-Tonio_zps4f1ttu8y.jpg

Ox-final-back-Tonio_zpsonxwjqfs.jpg

That looks fantastic, although I find the red nose is a little too prominent for the character. Can't wait to see the rest of the team. 

Brown base looks decent. It looks good with the basing and the model. Personally I prefer neutral bases and find coloured rims often detract from the paint job. 

Tasty! Lovely choice of colours, and your metals are kickass.

Undecided on the base. I'm a black edging kind of guy normally, but I do like how it flows unobtrusively into the basing.

Thanks guys!

I'm not too sure about the red nose either, but it does pop a lot more on the pic; not too sure why.

3 hours ago, nerodine said:

Undecided on the base. I'm a black edging kind of guy normally, but I do like how it flows unobtrusively into the basing.

I tend to use black for display minis, and brown for game pieces as they tie in well with most play surfaces. I colour coded my paper models' bases to make them easier to demo with, but the more I think about it, the less I think it would work for long term play. 

Overtime at my day job and some commissions cut out all my personal painting time for the past few months. However, that's all done now and I'm back into hobby mode.

It isn't a model, but I've painted two small terrain pieces by Micro Art Studio this week, to use for GB. Played two games with them, and I like their size.

795396_sm-Mas%2C%20Micro%20Art%20Studio%

Finally back working on my Butchers.  I've been playing with the primed models for too long now; the painted captain needs company.

Got some paint on Brisket. About halfway done I would guess.  I'm keeping with toned down palette, with just some highlights of red.

800405_sm-Guild%20Ball%2C%20Wip%20Butche
799991_sm-Butchers%2C%20Guild%20Ball%2C%

I was done, sealed, flocked, everthing. Even did the photoshoot. And then I realized I forgot the blood effect... Here is a temporary "done" picture.

801047_sm-Butchers%2C%20Guild%20Ball%2C%

I have the same Zuzzy mat and was planning on making a pitch out of mine as well. I made base inserts for my Hunters using some sample strips from Zuzzy.

Your models look good also.

Not a lot of hobby recently, but I did manage to put some time on Boiler. He's almost done; I wish to have him ready for Sunday tournament, in case I have to act as the ringer.

810543_sm-Butchers%2C%20Guild%20Ball%2C%

On December 27, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Tonio said:

And done! I'm really happy with how he turned out. Sadly need to take a pause to work on some commissions before I go back to the rest of the team, but I hope it's gonna be quick as I had a blast painting him.

I'm not sure about the brown rim on the base though. It's neutral and ties in well enough with the basing itself, but I wonder if a deep red would work better for Butchers.  Might be harder to fit Union models later if I want them to tie in with more than one team... :unsure:

Ox-final-front-Tonio_zps4f1ttu8y.jpg

Ox-final-back-Tonio_zpsonxwjqfs.jpg

SWEET-CREAMY-JESUS! That's BEAUTIFUL work, both on Ox, and the mat! I really dig that the blood is not gratuitous, and looks just right!

On 7/9/2016 at 9:47 AM, GamerCarl01 said:

SWEET-CREAMY-JESUS! That's BEAUTIFUL work, both on Ox, and the mat! I really dig that the blood is not gratuitous, and looks just right!

Thanks a lot. :)  Brisket and Boiler are both done also now, with the same limited red paint and blood effects. Really enjoy the look.  I just need to set up for photo an evening and post them.

I finally took pictures of Brisket and Boiler, and a group shot of the starter. :)

Brisket-front-zonion_zpsrjjyig4h.jpg

Brisket-back-zonion_zpsnh9accut.jpg

Boiler-front-zonion_zpse2uibfkm.jpg

Boiler-back-zonion_zps1bxxuvmn.jpg

Butchers-starter-zonion_zpsvrb3jqfx.jpg

Not too sure when I'll be able to continue working on the rest of the team, as hobby time has been slim lately, and even if I barely do commission, when there is almost no painting time, it all goes in those...

I didn't think it would be this soon, but I was able to work on princess last night. She's almost done already, just need to touch up on the fur, and the base left to do.

819575_sm-Butcher%2C%20Guild%20Ball%2C%2