Sign in to follow this  
Big_Butcher_G

Alternative masons

So I've got limited experience with the masons at the moment and I'd like to run this team..

Honour, marbles, Flint, mist, chisel and??? 

I like the double threat and striking capabilities of having both Flint and mist, I think harmony is bad and I'm not really a big fan of brick (could be wrong) so it leaves mallet and he seems to make the most sense. 

Anyone run this setup or found a good synergy for chisel. 

I ran Honour, Marbles, Flint, Mist, Brick, Mallet the other day. I don't understand some people's aversion to Brick (I think he's great) but I'd agree with Mallet being your best choice for last slot. He's so versatile and hits like a truck.

Brick looses appeal because he's easy to hit for me. I could be wrong though, I have only use him against butchers. I think mallet is an obvious choice buffing mist and flints kick. How do you find mist and Flint together? 

They work great together, but there are teams I don't love them against.  Personally, I'd say Mallet is the obvious pick by a mile for the last spot, but personally I like Minx and Brick as sideboard options.

Mallet is irreplacable. Never consider dropping him. 

The influence puzzle with Honour, Flint, and Mist is pretty hard to solve. Try Brick and Minx if you are going that way as they can battery for the three greedy players and still take actions sometimes. if you instead are going to leave one of those three short each turn, it might have been better to have a more efficient option in the first place. When it works you can get a couple of fast goals and then improvise for the last 4 points, when it doesn't you don't have influence allocated around the team to fall back on. 

I tend to stick Brick between the enemy and Flint. Have Mist run up the other side and use Honour/Marbles to deal with their squishy players with Mallet providing kick buff to Flint and dealing the damage. Don't put much/any influence on Brick and make use of his counter charge.

I think if you're concerned that a guy is easy to hit, you're in the wrong place haha. Really most of the team is only one defense higher than Brick in the first place. But yeah, in the setup you've listed, Mallet is the clear choice. He's extremely versatile, he threats pretty far with a tackle, has great utility and damage output with Forceful Blow, assists your team with Singled Out, and Smashed Shins to control opponents when you need it, he just does whatever you need him to. Plus he can do some pretty scary stuff in the first round if you shoot him forward enough ;P

After trying Brick and the rest of the Masons for 3 games now in total - 2 vs brewers 1 vs engineers I've changed my opinion somewhat.

I don't know if I can live with no brick now to be honest, I realise that he's all about controlling space and giving that extra influence to honour, flint or whoever needs him. Also you can park the likes of mist and flint next to him with the ball and be pretty safe really.

I'm waiting on my arrival of mist and chisel and will review them too. 

Can't wait to see what hammer is like, doubtful that he'll be a touch on honour. 

Can't wait to see what hammer is like, doubtful that he'll be a touch on honour. 

I think what I'm most interested about with all the new captains is how they effect the design space of each guild; so many of the Captains are pretty much integral to how the entire team is designed (Engineers probably being the most obvious team), I think every team pretty much is saying "the new Captain couldn't possibly hold up to the current one," will be cool to see if that's the case or if they really figure out a way to shake up the design just through Captain abilities. 

I cannot wait to get hold of Hammer now. Honour can retire for all I care. Stupid, useless cow.

:lol:

Melt her down, and make the others watch.

I'd do this with my dice, but it would costs thousands of pounds every year! 

Mallet is the best player on the team.

On November 28, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Atelus said:

I think what I'm most interested about with all the new captains is how they effect the design space of each guild; so many of the Captains are pretty much integral to how the entire team is designed (Engineers probably being the most obvious team), I think every team pretty much is saying "the new Captain couldn't possibly hold up to the current one," will be cool to see if that's the case or if they really figure out a way to shake up the design just through Captain abilities. 

I think Ballista pigeon holes the Engineer play style, so they are fairly easy to meta against. Midas is kinda the same, but different.

Luckily, with Honour we can do whatever we want.