Vexux13

An ax to grind

I now have just over a dozen games under my belt. Most of those are with the Butchers. I love the raw aggression and being able to tell someone to take that unrealistic amount of damage and have another. I have also played everyone in the guild so far plus one Union member, I know there has been many better players with more games than i have played who have shared their thoughts and opinions on the players, but I'd like to add a bit of what I've learned as well.

The biggest thing for me was I underestimated Boiler. I have heard all the talk about Boiler can beat down like Boar and I scoffed at the notion. This kid has anger issues. He will put the hurt on. The bleed and anatomical precision are little additions that can't go unnoticed. Princess has been big on allowing me to get the damage i need in. It is a little deceptive where the bonus from Princess says +1 TAC and +1 DMG. Princess is there to gang up as well. Boiler was going to be the one I cut from the team to play a Union addition. Boiler is NEVER getting cut when he brings his puppy.

Boar plays about how you expect. Big damage, slow, easy to hit, and big health. One thing I appreciate is the free charge turn 1. It's a free sprint. Secondly is with his regeneration and his insane momentum generation he heals well, Third is Ghast was a bugger when he had Boar engaged, Turning off the free charges changes the math and his inherent efficiency. Yes Boar is good. I like him very much. He may be subbed out in different line ups. I have been passing him the ball and using momentum to give him extra threat range. 

Shank is a still my favorite. He always does what I need. 2 take downs and a goal? Sure I can do that. His mobility is something not common in the team, High damage plus being able to dodge. Where'd he go is still money. It allows him to maneuver to locations that are more than inconvenient. I can gush about him all night, but there are more players to cover. 

Ox is so important that I have been trying to keep him back just a bit to keep him safe. His 4 influence is too much to lose and will often spell the end if he is gone. I have been trying to project the Owner bonus and Armor relevant in the early turns. His legendary play has been great for ensuring the target I need to remove is going to be gone. He is the only option currently, but the teasers about Fillet and conditions have me intrigued. 

Brisket hasn't been getting much play. Obviously super shot is a great addition to any striker's tool kit but i don't like her options for most turns. Dirty knives isn't a very interesting option for the influence. I also have to risk her to get the play off in most cases. I have considered her running near Boiler as a body block against teams with mostly male players and getting Swift stance to use the 6+ DEF. It felt like too many eggs in one basket especially if it isn't causing goals or take downs, but it might need some more testing.

Meathook is so close for me. I like the options and the bleed. Currently the INF she brings isn't enough to use her as i would need to. There are not quite enough conditions. There are more now than before, but Harry the Hat and Tenderiser also bring only 1 INF and i already feel starved,  The Heroic play may be what makes her work, but i have been unsuccessful so far. I'm excited to see what she'll be able to do under Fillet.

Tenderiser has mostly made me sad. I want to play him like a walking demolition crew and knock everything down. He might be able to do that if his kit was not so specialized. If someone is foolish enough to give the counter charge he's great. There are too many ways to work around what he does. The harder goal kicks are nice, but others have posted the odds for the goals with him there. I think he is good against the teams that want to score one goal and get the rest as take downs. It makes it difficult to want to take the long odds shot when it might cost the game. I will keep trying, Maybe i'll try a high aggression team and see if I can get anything to stick.

Rage is my primary union pick right now. He does what Boar does only different. DEF 4+ allows some safety. Good positioning and planning for where you need him and when to use him can end someone. Keep is mind that Berzerk grants an additional attack. It does not say immediately. Bleeding again adds a good extra hit of damage that can spell a end to an opponent's players. Tooled up is something i have used when Rage can not make it but another of my players can. I have been happy with what he does and he seems to fit well. He was also a potential player for my conditions line up. Starve them out. Make them spend the momentum on healing instead of shooting goals or counter attacking.

Some general tactical ideas i have been using is blocking lanes to the targets that are priority. Obviously you want to keep people safe, but this is about making the opponent pay for allowing their plans to work. Damage is only part of it. Pushes, dodges, and knockdown and excellent options for counter attacks. Crowding out and ganging up makes life easier and math work in your favor. Watch for the teams with abilities that play against your positioning. Don't let Boiler stab Ox in the back, Most people talk about Butchers like they are just apply fist to face. They actually have good depth and have strong synergies. 

I'll keep on playing and looking forward to more things to spend money on. This has been the most fun I've had playing a miniatures game in the last 10 years. I look forward to hearing more from the vets who have been trying out new things and what works for you. 

What's your thinking on Gutter? She seems like a much more important Union addition than Rage due to her Chain Grab letting you fight where you want to. Rage is obviously good at what Rage does, but is this really needed in a Butchers team?

I think you're underestimating Brisket, mainly because her stat line, like Boiler's is actually really good defensively. Male players needing to deal with DEF5/ARM1 is just horrible, and a lot of teams won't be able to deal with it. There aren't many female players that have both reasonable damage to threaten Brisket and a 2" melee zone to avoid getting screwed over by Unpredictable Movement- it's basically just Gutter that actually causes Brisket any trouble, since Honour, Harmony, Friday, Cosset and Decimate all have 1" melee zones now.

I don't think you want to bring more than one of Boar and Rage. They are both rather easy to kill and relatively one-dimensional in their abilities- If an opponent successfully engages them early on they aren't going to be very impressive for most of the game. Taking both of them tends to either result in a stomp where you get the charges off and munch through their frontline, or getting crushed because you got locked down. Personally I prefer Rage because Tooled Up is (in my opinion) one of the best Character Plays in the game, particularly when it stacks with the Owner and applies on Scything Blow (hello Gutter). It's also very effective on Ox since he can apply it 5+ times in a turn due to his higher INF cap.

I hadn't played Gutter yet because I wanted to have the model. I think what Gutter  does is different and potentially more important than having Rage. I think that ranges are more important to Butchers than many of the other due to needing to apply ax to face. 

For the most part I would bring either Rage or Boar. I have tried bringing both and having them run on opposite sides. I held them back to charge the opponent when they try to move in on Shank or Boiler. 

I think Brisket is a excellent goal threat. Her damage is moderate. Yes I have seen the strength of a high defense team. It's very frustrating trying to hit 5's and 6's. I will try her more. I think I have just been disappointed with her damage. Shank had always been my go to for getting the ball to the goal. 

Brisket's damage output seems really lacklustre until you get her near Princess, or so I've found in my handful of games. +2 TAC means she gets more wraps off, and under Ox's Legendary, can be getting 8 damage on each attack (or 12 on a charge!!), and she's got a lot of momentum on that playbook.

Brisket's damage output seems really lacklustre until you get her near Princess, or so I've found in my handful of games. +2 TAC means she gets more wraps off, and under Ox's Legendary, can be getting 8 damage on each attack (or 12 on a charge!!), and she's got a lot of momentum on that playbook.

Where that's true. Boiler is higher. It is a big risk IMO to have all 3 clumped up fir this to work well. 

Where that's true. Boiler is higher. It is a big risk IMO to have all 3 clumped up fir this to work well. 

I do have that problem, especially with Boiler. The 4" range on Brisket's Princess buff is a bit easier to get off and safer.

A team we've really been liking is Gutter, Shank, Boiler, Brisket. Early turns you can put Swift Stance and/or Tough Hide on Gutter and/or Brisket to cause huge headaches for the opponent. You can even take Shank up to 5-1 before sending him in, but be careful to set yourself for initiative if you are going to do that (or just be ready to lose Shank. He's fine at getting back up field anyway).

Gutter and Boiler each ignore 2 armor under the legendary which is insane. Boiler can kill the world--he is the hidden gem on the Butcher's team.

Defensively, Ox is the weak link and you have to play him as support.

Between Gutter, Shank, and Brisket you have plenty of scoring options depending on the game state, so your opponent has to play around that as well.

boiler really is the monster of the team. he consistently causes more damage that boar. i had him stabbing fangtooth for 9 damage per attack in my game earlier. as i had cleverly used some random attack to remove gelatinous mass for the turn, boiler tore him a new one.

I think you've got a good handle on the team already Vexux, considering the lowish amount of games you've had that is great to see how fast you've picked it up.

As others have said, Keep trying Brisket, she has a lot more uses than you would first think.
She can end up with 6s to hit and 2 Armour, combine that with unpredictable movement and she becomes the teams tank that has amazing goal threat. 

Gutter is definitely worth trying out if you haven't already. I was really reluctant to use her at first but now she is practically in every single one of my games.

Ghasts rule doesn't affect boars charge, he still charges for free 

Does he affect regular charges? I don't remember reading this anywhere, but the charge rules say you make an attack without paying influence...