malladin.ben

Bonesaw speculation

the question is, is he good enough to replace Mist, or is he only going to be used by purists or as a second striker 

I just got in a game with him in addition to Mist. It was against the Butchers, a team (along with the Brewers), where I'd rather go heavy on football over fighting. I personally would take Mist over him, if you just want 1 Striker. Sadly, the game I played he did essentially nothing. I just used him to get in the way (the +1 DEF was good for this), while Mist did all the actual scoring. Not having movement before and after attacks (Where'd They Go), makes him much more limited at solo scoring. He did however provide a 2nd football threat on a flank, which I had the option of using if the board state required it, so I considered him valuable for that. Mist is still the premier scorer, but this guy is credible, so you can cover both sides of the board with goal threats.

His push is obviously quite a powerful tool, but I also don't expect to see situations worth using it in all that often. This is contrasted with Jac in my Fishermen, where pushing away the enemy team is extremely useful for their style of play.

I don't understand the base size and his role. He surely is not a "big" guy. So why does he need the biggest base in the game?

He takes on a bigger space on the pitch so plays Into his Traits and Character Plays.

I'm not a fan of 13 health, even with Reanimate. Especially with 4 DEF and 0 ARM, even with 5 DEF after activating, he's pretty squishy. Then again, Cosset has yet to be removed from my field, but I expected a little more health on such a big guy.

I'm not a fan of 13 health, even with Reanimate. Especially with 4 DEF and 0 ARM, even with 5 DEF after activating, he's pretty squishy. Then again, Cosset has yet to be removed from my field, but I expected a little more health on such a big guy.

He's actually kind of small... just on a large base to represent the area he controls

That's an interesting and unique concept to me. Playing Warmachine pretty much engraved the whole "large model= large base" idea in my head. Is there any picture of him on the base? I've only found the spoiler picture, no base shown.

Actually, after he activates 13 health with Reanimate and def 5 puts him into "very survivable". I feel like people have a pretty skewed perspective on what constitutes "squishy" in this game. There are basically 4 levels of toughness.

1) Terrible. This is Boar, Stave, Kraken, etc.

2) Bad. This is Rage, Cossete, Chisel, etc.

3) Average. This is most players. 3-2, 4-1, 5-0.

4) Insanely good. Here live the 5-1 and 6-0 players. These almost all require a buff to reach this point, either positional or an actual play. On average a TAC 6 gets 1 hit.

So, after he's activated he's average at worst, but I'd say Reanimate puts him above average, without being insanely tough.

Edited by Jorenm

Kraken and Stave are plenty tough thanks to tough hide. They take a lot longer to chew through than some of the players with Average toughness on you list...

But I agree, Reanimate makes someone much tougher than having +3 wounds. First of all you get the "Dragoon effect" from Warmachine, where any damage from the hit that takes him out initially is completely wasted beyond his last wound, and secondly, all conditions are cured, including knock down, which can make it harder to finish him off.

I think he compares very favourably with a lot of players defensively.

No comment on his heroic play yet. There is room for lots of figures under an 8"sprint.

would they all get parting blow as he swept past them? Or would it just be the last one?

Is this the GB version of BBowl's Leap?

Bill

Kraken and Stave are plenty tough thanks to tough hide. They take a lot longer to chew through than some of the players with Average toughness on you list...

Sort of. The reduction in damage taken can often be negated by people hitting higher damage numbers off their playbook, or even wrapping. 

Sort of. The reduction in damage taken can often be negated by people hitting higher damage numbers off their playbook, or even wrapping. 

You have to wrap pretty high for it to make much of an impact - you reduce each damage result by 1, not the total damage inflicted, so picking up an additional 1 damage from your 1 column is meaningless. 

There are basically 4 levels of toughness.

1) Terrible. This is Boar, Stave, Kraken, etc.

2) Bad. This is Rage, Cossete, Chisel, etc.

3) Average. This is most players. 3-2, 4-1, 5-0.

4) Insanely good. Here live the 5-1 and 6-0 players. These almost all require a buff to reach this point, either positional or an actual play. On average a TAC 6 gets 1 hit.

This is a great summary at the stat level. Survivability is a function of this and denial tech like Unpredictable Movement, Clone, Gluttonous Mass, and Low Dodges/Pushes/Knockdowns (especially with Reach).

Reanimate with Def 5 is also excellent as it means even if they knock him down they need to get honest hits in against 5 Def to close out the last three health, since he clear conditions upon Reanimating.

Edited by DrillbossD

No comment on his heroic play yet. There is room for lots of figures under an 8"sprint.

would they all get parting blow as he swept past them? Or would it just be the last one?

Is this the GB version of BBowl's Leap?

Bill

It doesn't prevent parting blows, but it could still be powerful in the right circumstances - say if you want to charge passed someone then dodge out and score.

I think he mainly has it so his base size doesn't become a huge liability. If nothing else, it's essentially gliding with extras, so it doesn't hurt to have the option....

One potentially good way of using his Heroic play that I can see is hiding him behind Ghast/Casket/Fantooth and then leaping over the top of them to score. If you've got to of them with a 29mm gap between them, then other players can't charge through, yet Bonesaw can leap over them.

Ben

One potentially good way of using his Heroic play that I can see is hiding him behind Ghast/Casket/Fantooth and then leaping over the top of them to score. If you've got to of them with a 29mm gap between them, then other players can't charge through, yet Bonesaw can leap over them.

Ben

I had not thought of using it that way roundB)