malladin.ben

Bonesaw speculation

I'm really looking forward to Bonesaw's arrival on the scene, and as I'm the sort of person who enjoys wild speculation about what the rules might be for new models. I thought I'd kick off a thread to try and guess what Bonesaw will actually be like.

MOV: 7"/8" - I think he'll be fairly quick - there's arguments for him being 7"/9" or 6"/8", but I think that he might have the silence-like +1" on the charge, making him fast on the jog, but not unusually fast otherwise.

TAC: 5 - There was a post somewhere in the last few weeks saying that there was a player coming soon who was both a striker and a defender. Given the punt that this will be bonesaw (he even looks a but like Dion Dublin) I think 5 is a decent guess for his TAC, given that strikers are usually the only players with TAC 4 or lower (crazy dudes/chicks excluded), I think a fairly standard 5 is to be expected.

KICK: 3/8" - He's been described as having the best natural kick of any Mortician, which suggests that Silence's boosted 4/7" might be better, although I'd doubt it if it was better overall. I suppose that could give him 4/6", but I'd rather it's 3/8" instead, I think we need a player with a decent threat range to mitigate the need for Mist.

DEF: 4 - he's on a big base, which usually means 2 or 3 DEF (the only other 50mm base is DEF 2), but he fill that base with his pose rather than his bulk. He seems athletic and agile, so DEF 4 as the highest basic DEF for a large base model seems like a reasonable shout.

ARM: 0 - I can't see any way you could describe his outfit as adding an armour bonus.

(DEF 4/ ARM 0 seems quite easy to hit, and given that he might  be this mysterious striker/defender player, defenders usually have a decent combination of defensive abilities, so it might be possible that he's actually DEF 5 or ARM 1, but my guess is that he'll be 4/0 and have a few abilities to give him the DEF when he needs it).

INF: 2/4 - If we're expecting a striker, I'd expect him to be able to take up to 4, I guess given the players he could be replacing, 1/4 could be a possibility, but given that you're realistically swapping him in for Mist I think he'll probably be 2/4.

HP: 16 - resilient for a striker, but light for a big guy.

Melee Zone : 1" - He's got nothing to extend his reach, so I'm guessing he's going to be a 1"-er

Playbook: If he'd a striker, I'd expect him to have a good low tackle, and if he's a defender a good low Knock Down. Beyond that I can see room for some damage, too - possibly like Shank and Brisket with the damage and dodge combos. Given the guild, I'd expect the KD to be momentous but not the Tackle. With five columns and a dual position, I think he'll likely have quite a few columns doubled up.

Here's what I think it might be like:

T or < ; 1< ; KD or 2 ; 2< ; 3 or <<

Plays & Traits: I think there'd be a few abilities to give him defensive capabilities: Nimble, Acrobatic or Slippery, for example. I think (read: hope) he'll have Poised. A classic striker ability, like Where'd they go or Supershot is also a possibility, but as I'm guessing he's not an out-and-out striker, I'm not too sure he'd have one of these - possibly close control, which might allow him to keep his focus on defensive capabilities. I also think that Light Footed might be a good shout, given the Shaolin monk styling. As a fan of the movie Shaolin Soccer, I'd also hope he had something along the lines of the crazy footballing stuff you see in that - seismic kick would fit, but I'd dread to see that ability on a player with a decent kick roll. Perhaps something that boosts snapshots or makes them cheaper..?

If I had to bet I'd go for:

Traits: Close Control, Light Footed, Poised

Plays: Nimble, "Shaolin Soccer"

Anyway, that's my thoughts, what do the rest of you think?

Ben

Close to my thoughts but I think he'll have an early momentous tackle.I still think mist lost his to prevent two in one team.

That would be very nice if it's true. None of our players currently have a momentous tackle, which is why I suggested it might be non-momentous.

His cards were posted on Twitter.

CTuocixUEAMuvxX.jpg:large

CTuocVxUsAE-cgP.jpg

He seems like a respectable Striker. He's no Mist, but he can go WITH mist to really push a morticians team towards footballing. Unexpected Arrival seems like a tool in the box that you won't necessarily use often because of his role, but is nice utility to have. His defensive stats are weak at first glance, but because you'll probably want him to activate early to go after the ball or score, his defensive stats become quite excellent with no resource expenditure. The only part of him I don't understand is Football Dervish. I'm not sure when I'd use that and why.

Edited by Jorenm

. The only part of him I don't understand is Football Dervish. I'm not sure when I'd use that and why.

its influence efficient. As its KICK, you could shoot for only 1 momentum rather than 1 Inf + 1 Mom. Potentially useful about Goalkeepers like Compound who increase the Inf cost of Kicks.

It's his only momentous 2 damage, so if nothing else once per turn its his best damage option.

There's lots of good uses for football dervish though - if you only have him on one influence activating first, he can generate the momentum he needs to shoot and shoot. 

Best uses seem to be on a charge though, where you're more likely to hit a wrap around - 5 hits (for dodge then football dervish looks good if you charge someone with 1" melee - you get 2 momentum and a free kick with no negatives, which you could turn into a 4 dice shot by spending both the momentum) or 6 hits (for tackle then football dervish to kick the ball back to a safer team mate - sort of like a longer range Balls gone...) look like decent moves.

You can't always rely on the wrap, that's true, but if you can get it, there are some decent uses to Football Dervish. I suspect you'll see it used multiple times per game even if it's never used for the kick though, as it's still momentous 2 damage...

If you can get a decent kick from it as well, so much the better!

You can't always rely on the wrap, that's true, but if you can get it, there are some decent uses to Football Dervish. I suspect you'll see it used multiple times per game even if it's never used for the kick though, as it's still momentous 2 damage...

I don't know about you, but I'm never giving a TAC 4 guy influence for the purposes of damage. The wrap idea sounds great, but unless someone is putting the ball on Boar, the odds of getting 6 hits to tackle + kick are incredibly low. 

Best uses seem to be on a charge though, where you're more likely to hit a wrap around - 5 hits (for dodge then football dervish looks good if you charge someone with 1" melee - you get 2 momentum and a free kick with no negatives

Maybe I have this wrong, but I don't think it is momentous? It's super confusing with morticians because their team color is black, but I thought the guild ball had to be filled in white or it was a non-momentous play. If it's non-momentous it seems even more pointless. You still have to generate a momentum to shoot the goal, and once you do, I'd definitely rather pay for the shot than gamble on getting 2 hits with TAC 4 to do it.

Edited by Jorenm

I don't know about you, but I'm never giving a TAC 4 guy influence for the purposes of damage. The wrap idea sounds great, but unless someone is putting the ball on Boar, the odds of getting 6 hits to tackle + kick are incredibly low. 

Maybe I have this wrong, but I don't think it is momentous? It's super confusing with morticians because their team color is black, but I thought the guild ball had to be filled in white or it was a non-momentous play. If it's non-momentous it seems even more pointless. You still have to generate a momentum to shoot the goal, and once you do, I'd definitely rather pay for the shot than gamble on getting 2 hits with TAC 4 to do it.

It Is momentous.

Yeah Momentous is always a bit of a pain to read on Morticians.. Just remember on ALL teams cards a White :P: sign is momentous.

Oh yeah and there are now plays in the Smileys.. they have been there for a couple of weeks but I doubt anyone noticed. :KD:

Edited by Ratty

here's a thought: if you could get 6 hits on a charge you could tackle, dodge 2" and kick. You'd need the momentum in the bank if you wanted it to be a shot, but he's as strikers go he's going to be very efficient, able to do with 2 inf what others need 4 to do. 

The downside is that he's not as mobile as other strikers, but obulus can do something about that with puppet master. And confidence would really help him with getting the hits on the charge.

I like him, he could have a better tackle value or something like a bonus vs KD models. 

But all in all he gives the Morticians something they are lacking at the moment, a decent in house ball player. 

I like him, he could have a better tackle value or something like a bonus vs KD models. 

But all in all he gives the Morticians something they are lacking at the moment, a decent in house ball player. 

He turns on Nimble for free and has a bunch of life for a striker. With his slipperiness and interactions with the team, he's pretty excellent.