LunarSol

Masonry and Other Things

Thanks for the kind words!  Finished up the Union a bit ago, but between taking them to WMW and getting some season 2 stuff nearly finished, I'm just getting to post them now:

Avarisse & Greede

IMG_5422_zpsfncmc8pf.jpg

IMG_5423_zpstzitojqr.jpg

Blackheart - Team Captain

IMG_5412_zpsgwdc13yj.jpg

Coin - Team Mascot

IMG_5421_zpswmfbz2gx.jpg

Gutter

IMG_5418_zpsstzefmgy.jpg

Fangtooth

IMG_5414_zpsnswz6jtk.jpg

Hemlocke

IMG_5417_zpsbozgzgpr.jpg

Rage

IMG_5419_zpsuqxxpjyc.jpg

And finally, painted up some of the models for season 2.  First up, for my Masons:

Chisel

IMG_5427_zpsshos9gjf.jpg

and for my friend:

Compound

IMG_5415_zpsfgp7vo2h.jpg

also for fun, painted up my second ball token as the white, championship game ball described in the fluff:

IMG_5413_zpsgz26lzz3.jpg

Finally got around to taking some pictures.  Finished up the Season 2 players with:

Venin

IMG_5525_zpscboloyjr.jpg

Harry the Hat

IMG_5526_zpsgvaln4ld.jpg

Also picked up the Veteran Captain:

Rage

IMG_5527_zpsnudeufkt.jpg

and finally, got ahold of the KS Honour.  I am actually quite fond of the more dynamic pose, but this one definitely stands out better.  The retail is kind of tiny by comparison:

Honour (KS)

IMG_5523_zpszduwnmjo.jpg

Nothing really fancy.  I use PP's Bloodtracker Brown with a Nuon Oil wash and highlight back with the same brown.  Army Painter dull coat.  I have noticed a little more sheen with the PP brown compared to the GW color I've used in the past, but I've also found I get better color out of my leathers by priming white and giving the models a Nuon Oil wash before putting down the base coat.  Hope that helps!

Sure thing!  Glad to help.  I don't really do any of the fancy techniques that win painting awards though, honestly.  Most of my work is simply a primed model (I've become very fond of priming white and putting a black wash over it before starting), put down the colors on an initial sloppy base coat.  After I'm happy with the overall looked I put down a second coat mostly to clean up my lines.  Then I'll give everything a wash, (generally I'll use black or brown on everything but skin) and afterwards just go over the wash with a very light coat of the base color for highlighting.  No real secrets, honestly.  Just the tried and true Prime>Basecoat>Wash>Highlight routine works well for me.

Washes are great.  If you're just getting started with them, just use Agrax Earthshade on everything until you get a handle on how they change the look of the model.  It works pretty well on anything.