SFG Forums Closing On March 11th 2019 Read more... ×
brumcg

Ebay Advice: Warmachine - Protectorate (Trying to sell so I can buy Guild Ball stuff)

I'm trying to stay zero sum with my gaming this year.  If I want something new, I have to sell something to raise the funds.  So I started selling stuff for my Guild Ball fund.

I thought my cash cow was going to be my painted Protectorate minis, but they have absolutely tanked on Ebay.  I recently listed a decently painted Kreoss plus four warjacks with a min bid of $49.99.  No bids.

My minis are from the first two years of the game.  Has Menoth fallen out of favor?  Is Warmachine having issues attracting new players?  Are the older metal sculpts unwanted?  I'll take any advice or theories.  :)

Some thoughts:

(Sorry, none of this is good news)

-Models you painted likely don't match a potential purchaser's existing scheme and therefore would need to be stripped and repainted.  This lowers value for some players.

-Well painted models that don't create a full army may be beyond a player's ability to match, which can lead to a mishmash army defeating the purpose of buying well painted models.  In my own case (I don't have money for this, but if I did) I would consider buying a well painted army (especially one with a few options and a matching second list for tournaments that require/allow 2 lists) but would not consider buying well painted portions of armies (individual models/units), as I don't feel I have the skill to paint to match a scheme and build up a cohesive looking army.

-There is a certain amount of netdecking/netlists in Warmahordes.  If your model offerings do not fit in those "good model" lists, then players will be less inclined to buy them at all, unless at a deep discount.  You're not going to be able to sell Deliverers, Scourge of Heresy, Cleanser, and several other Menoth models without insane discounts (ie: giving them away).

-Though Menoth is still one of the best Warmachine factions for running Jacks, certain netlists with high popularity are toeing the infantrymachine line with only 1 jack in the list.  Your above mentioned Kreoss and 4 jacks is likely 3 jacks too many for players concerned with these netlists.  I would consider picking up multiple Menoth jacks on the cheap (if I didn't already have 2+ of practically every Menoth jack), but I know many other players would not.

Sorry this isn't really helpful.

I will chime in to the Choir (hehe) here and mention that metal models are not popular at all when plastics are available for them.

Also stuff that came out in the first two years is readily available to the point that the aftermarket price for them is incredibly low. Most people will only pay 50% retail for recent releases so stuff that is 13 years old at this point is worth a lot less. 

Finally check out Bartertown as a place to sell or trade your used models without the cost or lack of communication you see on Ebay. Be forewarned that until you build up decent feedback there people will be hesitant to purchase from you unless you ship first. Read the stickied threads and use your best judgement to protect yourself! Also don't expect to trade for Guild Ball figures yet as they are a rare and hot commodity right now.

I will chime in to the Choir (hehe) here and mention that metal models are not popular at all when plastics are available for them.

This is good to know as well.  I thought it was likely true for the warjacks, but I wasn't sure about the non-jacks.

Thanks everyone!  I've lowered my expectations and giving it another try.  Guild Ball or bust!

I thought it was likely true for the warjacks, but I wasn't sure about the non-jacks.

Well there are a few exceptions to this. Many Ret players prefer metal Houseguard to the plastics, but on the other hand you practically can't even give away metal Troll Champions now. Also it's worth mentioning that painted plastics have a low value to many people since they think they are harder to strip then metal. 

Good luck on your sales!