• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Sign in to follow this  
DiceLocker

Sakana...the striker you've always wanted?

So who's played a few games with Sakana? As someone who is looking at potentially picking up the Fish as a second *cough* Third *cough* faction I was wondering how he was fairing so far?

He's alright. Tougher than the other non-Shark striker options and fast, reasonable at kicking the ball around and setting up for people to bounce off of enemy players. He isn't as good a kicker as, say, Angel, but he's still fine at it and has more utility elsewhere. He's mainly a focused player like Angel (fast, good at scoring with that 8" kick, access to dodges and tackles) but he has a bit more use in other areas. Good at setting up to push people off the pitch too.

Really he comes into play when playing against arm teams like brewers and masons. Fish can have trouble getting hits when the other team has players with 2 arm. Think that's his wheel house. Also I think that once Corsair comes out we will not have shark to help with speed. So Sakana will go into the list. But as of right now over all he has not done anything crazy good in my games. He is kind of a strange one because you want him to lower arm but then he has to be in the fight. I think he has his place just need to get more games. Also think that he might be there to get us a take down if shark is near him with a lot of influence. Taking out a model with like 4def & 1arm.

I feel he's probably at his best in an atypical team, with at least one more fighty (and thus Union) player in the lineup. He's good enough at playing football that he doesn't require you to change your approach completely while enabling a beater to draw blood effectively, but he's not good enough a bruiser on his own and the other Fishermen don't quite get enough out of him in that regard (and he's enough of a striker that you can afford bringing a Union player that can't kick worth a damn). Although the ARM debuff helps anyone looking for a more effective use of their playbook. 

I can see what he's good at (I think) but he doesn't excite me; maybe except for the 2" melee zone.

On the other hand, if you take Shark and Salt out the team (are mascots tied to Captains? I can't remember), then he pretty much instantly becomes better than Angel.

I really like Sakana! He's really fast! Tackle on two & his ability to provide cover is very nice! See Angel doesn't really do anything else when she hasn't got the ball but Sakana can, that's my reason for liking him a bit more! 

I really like Sakana! He's really fast! Tackle on two & his ability to provide cover is very nice! See Angel doesn't really do anything else when she hasn't got the ball but Sakana can, that's my reason for liking him a bit more! 

Short of Union players, Angel and Jack are the only two players with a Momentous tackle we have, and Jac's is on column 5 while Angel's is on column 1. She also adds an extra Inf to the pool if close enough to Shark at the start of a turn. I really wouldn't say she doesn't (or can't) do anything when she doesn't have the ball.

He's proven quite useful. He can finish a turn holding the ball and give you a good shot at retaining control/not conceding an early Flint/Mist/etc. goal to start the next turn. He can start a turn off with a goal + one or two weak-points to set up the rest of your team. He can deal out some damage. He's got solid push potential. He's got a momentous dodge on 1. All are good things!

I've enjoyed trotting him out with Angel and Shark and just giving my opponent one threat too many on the ball/goal to deal with. He doesn't quite have the tech that a Siren or Greyscales brings, but Weak Point, Smoke Bomb and Poised give him a lot of utility.

I love Sakana ... he's my go to striker and in conjunction with Greyscales provides a great front line.

Free counter attack is great as it means that they have to either KD on a charge/hit or potentially have him dodge out of melee which, given that he has a 1" dodge on 1 hit and anatomical precision means that if someone with 1" melee doesnt get base to base he moves out quite easily - if he lands enough hits then it would be a 2" dodge.

Also, depending on who you're facing KD isnt the end of the world either, if you have a target in reach with a low DEF then you can potentially move a decent distance off dodges .. I did this vs Boar after a knock down - allocated 4 INF and then had 4 attacks with a total of 6" of dodges around him and into a position for a snapshot goal which he scored in my next activation.

I get some use out of his character play that gives cover but not so much out of the other one.

Plus ... with a momentous dodge on 1 hit he's actually a fantastic momentum generator

Edited by Shano

Plus ... with a momentous dodge on 1 hit he's actually a fantastic momentum generator

Five Fishermen have a momentous dodge one 1. Kraken has a momentous KD instead, Angel has a momentous tackle on 1 and a momentous dodge+push on 2. Jac's really the only one who has it a bit harder in this regard with his lowest momentous result being a push on 2 instead of 1.

Sakana's biggest contribution to Momentum is Weak Point making wraparounds more likely.

Five Fishermen have a momentous dodge one 1.

True, but he's the only one with Anatomical Precision to make sure you get hits.  

My other thought on Sakana is that since he doesn't need a momentum for a counter attack then he is actually a reasonable option for kick off against a team who can potentially score turn 1 seeing as though the other team will most likely need to charge a player for a momentum if looking to score early.  With a Tackle on playbook column 2 and the option to dodge and maintain melee engagement you are a decent chance of shutting it down with a CA either by ball disposal or making them roll 1 less d6 ... may not work out as planned all of the time but it's a decent option to have available.

Edited by Shano

My go to line up has become Shark and Angel up front with Sakana and Greyscales on the wings with Salt and Jac just say in behind the strikers.  Sakana is fairly self sufficient compared to others.

As previously mentioned he can score, can hold the ball reasonably well, can fight when necessary, decent melee range against most non big guy or captain players, deals with those pesky ARM heavy teams, can generate MOM easily and helps provide cover for Shark and Angel to sneak about.  Without any Union I have goal threat from my front four and three players with an 8" kick.  

I played sakana last night and he was great. He got two goals and see greyscales up for the winner. I found he worked well with shark covering for him and gaining MP. Once that was done he pops a smoke bomb on himself and zipps through to score. Not only that but with the counter attack and reducing arm my mates brewers shied abit away from him 

So I've gotten a lot more games in with Sakana. I like to set him a on a wing ready for the ball or to kill another teams mascot. I think with shark and him you are able to get take outs on lower health characters. He has also scored a lot of goals because people don't think he's a threat with shark and Angel being the main focus. I do feel he is a little boring compared other strikers like Bonesaw and Mash but think thats due to his stats being really good rather than being in traits and plays. Wondering if anyone has found a use for the smoke. I don't really use it due to having him in a good position to start and would rather use it to attack or kick the ball. Wonder if its going to have synergy with another player coming up. 

I used him in every game (9 in total) at the tournaments over the weekend. He is ace, he is able to give almost as good as he gets, the momentous 2 inch dodge can save your life, he can be used out wide up front or as a deeplying playmaker passing it off to Shark or Angel. I found him undroppable along with Kracken, but thats more so i can yell Release the Kracken.....

So, if Sakana uses his ability to lower someone's armour by 1, how long does that last for please? And does it lower it for everyone, or just for himself?

Weak Point is sustained (rule reference: p. 50 of the rulebook), so it lasts until the end of the turn and it applies for all Fish players (or even opposing players that are Seduced or something) activating after him that turn that attack the affected model. Anatomical Precision only affects Sakana himself.

Edited by Pangur Ban

Played another game with Sakana this weekend. He was fantastic in what I needed. Had him on my far left wing with Shark and Angel to the far right after an early score with Shark, Sakana made it a very difficult for my opponent to decide where to kick the ball back in to. Unfortunately for him it was in range for Sakana to pick up and get it back to the action. Having another threat vector for goals and a decent ability to get the ball back I have really enjoyed him in a very goal heavy lineup.

I played 5 games this weekend, using the same team everytime:

Shark

Salt

Greyscales

Sakana

Hemlocke

Gutter

I found Sakana to be fantastic - durable and speedy - across the 5 games I got 10 goals, 7 of them coming courtesy of Sakana. Won't be leaving him out again, at least not for the forseeable. He and Greyscales working the flanks to steal and then run the ball in worked an absolute treat.

Neil

He and Greyscales working the flanks to steal and then run the ball in worked an absolute treat.

That's pretty much how I use them.  Sakana on one side and Greyscales on the other.  Then Shark/Angel can hold down the middle.

I like to kick off with Sakana too and work his position so that the kick off movement leaves him in cover if possible.  

Likewise, if you can hang around cover then it's reasonably easy to get a dodge off an attack, get out of melee and into cover and then run 10".   I did that vs a Morticians player using Fangtooth.  Gave Sakana 4 INF, bought an attack (dodge), bought an attack (dodge), in Cover outside of Foul Odour spend 1 to Sprint, collect the loose ball and end 8" from goal with 1 INF and 2 MOM for shot with Bonus Time.  Insane threat vectors.

Finally got him, played a game to try him out, and the Engineers ensured he spent the entire game on his butt while Shark and Siren won the game on their own. Maybe next week Sakana, maybe next week.