Sign in to follow this  
Alarum

Top picks for True Replication

What are your top picks for using True Replication when coming up against each team and how/why do you use it?

I have a few key plays I like stealing that are on multiple teams and sometimes the game dictates what I need but I have a couple from each team ready so I don't slow the game down looking at abilities on cards.

I always try to use it First turn when having 5-7 Inf on Midas doesn't feel like a waste. My first turn usually sees me moving into positions for turn two. If I am Kicking I will often give Midas 7 Inf and Kick with him so he can reach almost any player on the opposite team when he activates. The spare 2 Inf I use for Clone to reduce retaliation attempts.

Scything Blow is always my first choice if it is available. I would not use it without warning my opponent first and never in a demo or against a new player.

Where'd They Go? is next on my list. Midas is extremely fast with this combined with Unpredictable movement and Clone, he can be more of a nightmare than he already is.

Dirty Knives is useful to lower Def and dish out some extra Poison.

Hamstring is great If you can get to a couple of players a turn. Combined with Heavy Burden to hit a third target at 6" will really slow down a team.

Seduced is one of the only two GB result plays I would consider. It is very powerful on Midas however it is hard to get of Siren.

Any other abilities worth spending 5 Inf on and good tactics to use with them?

The character plays you've mentioned would also be my first choice, especially Scything Blow and Where'd They go.

Everything else is quite situational and depends which playstyle you want to play with the Alchemists (fast goalscorers or a more defensive team that can dish out a decent amount of damage).

I haven't used it for myself (because of the lack of the special team(s)), but I can imagine that all character plays that give the Knock-down condition could always be useful, because Midas and Katalyst are the only Alchemists who can give this condition but it is very late in their playbooks. Nothing to rely on if you want to bring your opponent down. So having access to Knock-down via a character play could be useful.

So Midas could steal:

• Lob Barrel from the Brewers (imagine a poisoned/burning and knocked-down player who is in range of Katalyst. Outch... :D )
  • Floored Bolt from the Engineers
  • Release The... from Fishermen (VERY situational as it is a two GB result, but Midas has it in column 3 of his playbook)

Another topic could be movement and placing shenanigans like:

• Second Wind
  • Harpoon
  • Lure
  • Goad
  • Smashed Shins
  • Hamstring (you already mentioned it)
  • Rabid Animal
  • Screeching Banshee
  • Chain Grab

Or influence and damage management like:

• Blood (which would be the only way for the Alchemists to give the bleeding condition)
  • Concussion
  • Singled Out
  • Tooled Up

If you play a very defensive strategy, everything that helps to rise Defence or Armor would help:

• Nimble (which brings Midas to Def 6+)
  • Decoy
  • Tough Skin
  • Swift Stance

But as mentioned, all there are rather situational and I would only pick them when it is an option in the current match.

What I really want to try (but hadn't the chance yet) is to steal Shutout from Tower or Silence, or - at least in some cases - Tucked, which gives you a HUGE option to control your player's turn.

And getting another Blind from Hemlocke is nothing to reject.... ;)

So lot's of options to try out for Midas! B)

I have come to believe that it is important to really consider what to steal based on what kind of game you wish to play.  I generally play to a high scoring build, but the right steal can really open option.  I found value in Thousand Cuts the other day as I realized it can really open up Vitriol.  Of course Decimate already has it, But it is good if she is not there.

More so than Scything Blow, Unmasking is my new go to.  Sure you need 2 more hits, but you get 2 inches as well and can push off models if needed.

Lob Barrel is one of my favorites.  It just makes the game more fun.

Seduce is also one that looks extra fun to grab

Some of my worst games have been when I have poorly thought out my steal or just took whatever.  While Swift Stance can be quite useful, you are basically allowing yourself to be a punching bag.  Although Def buffs plus clone can really be tilting. 

Hah I think Lob Barrel makes the game more fun for one person! :P I've seen it taken twice now and both times were exruciating for the Brewers player. The game where I got the barrel my opponent made a total of 6 attacks in 5 turns, 2 of which were vs clone... Its pretty ridiculous what he does with it.

Definitely agree on thousand cuts though. Ive been playing Decimate in my Alchs for a while now and a large part of that is TC. Vitriol will straight murder anyone with those buffs. Best I had was Vitriol vs Ghast with TC up - she was wrapping and doing 6-7 damage per attack and killed him from near healthy in one activation. 

Need to try Unmasking though, havent gone for it yet. 

I realized the other day that with Gutter and Fangtooth being fairly standard reserves for Morts, they may struggle to build a list lacking any Scything blow or Unmasking. Normally, they are smart enough not to drop SB into the matchup, if they want to drop Unmasking too, options get short. 

I haven't considered TC before; this will make games against Union interesting as my most regular opponent drops Gutter for Decimate against me.

I realized the other day that with Gutter and Fangtooth being fairly standard reserves for Morts, they may struggle to build a list lacking any Scything blow or Unmasking. Normally, they are smart enough not to drop SB into the matchup, if they want to drop Unmasking too, options get short. 

Can't take Gutter in Morts and they don't often bring Graves. They usually do have one of Ghast or Fangtooth though, so that is common for Unmasking. In either case though, you are looking at a 6 Inf replicate (possibly more for Fangtooth) due to Fear or Gluttonous Mass. Probably worth it but tricky.

Played Morts yesterday and Unmasking was a better (to some extent) Scything Blow. 3 DAM in a 3" Pulse is great for Midas, as his 1" melee makes scything blow tricky to get on more than one player. Problem I had was that for the second game in a row, my opponent had "Don't Touch The Hair!" and used it to escape from my melee range - in this situation meaning that instead of beating on a KD'd Ghast (hit on 2+, 1 ARM), I was forced to hit Mist (5+) and so 3 less Unmaskings.

Another tricky thing to consider with True Rep. is the large amount of INF you end up using on Midas. I sank my INF into Midas as, if Ghast hadn't been able to dodge, I would have easily removed both him and Mist from the pitch, and brought Rage low enough for Vitriol to kill in her activation. However, due to the INF sink, I couldn't really do anything with my other players to deal with the ball or Ghast later in the turn.

Can confirm Lob Barrel is legit, especially when you are dropping it behind someone and pulling them into a Midas/Vitriol curbstomp. 

I haven't gotten too many full games in at this point, but Where'd They Go was also really key when I took it. I plan to play score heavy and anything that ups Midas' game in that regard is lovely. 

I had surprisingly good results from copying Weak Point from Sakana when Greyscales was too far so I couldn't get Where'd they go?. Many of the Fishermen players have ARM 1 and Weak Point goes just trough that. Shark was much easier to eliminate after that.

9 minutes ago, marchant06 said:

Pretttttty sure for as much as I love this it might be a tad strong. Thoughts?

It's certainly very strong, but if the opponent is aware of the danger it can be mitigated, eg careful positioning can make it risky for Midas to get close enough to steal the ability, or once stolen avoid bunching up your models where his 1" melee can catch more than 1 of them at a time. If he's got 7 Inf on him that's more than half the entire Alchemist team's pool

Sorry not that he can take peoples abilities, but the fact his GB* is in column 1. Its not that he can do 21 damage an activation, it'd that he dies it so reliably.

Not let me be honest in saying I'm probably not a great player as loading him with seven is my go to style of playing, but when I do get something amazing like scything touch it seems pretty unfun for the other guy.

One I don't think I've seen mentioned is Bonesaw's 1 Guildball play "Football dervish". It does 2 damage and gives you a free kick action. Anything that get's midas some damage off one guildball really opens up your options. Reliable momentus damage is something we lack (why i like taking decimate) and these types of skills help mitigate that.

Good catch, I cheated in a game :/

has anyone been taking the slightly lower impact double guildball play? stuff like unexpected arrival/screeching banshee/dirty knives/tooled up? I took ghostly visage off casket once because the other player did a good job denying me better skills and while it wasn't great it definitely helped shut down his casket time centric play.

It's definitely a risk loading midas up and not getting a primo skill, but it's not all hardship one way. Forcing the other guy to spend a turn dancing around midas to deny him is worth something too.

Edited by Cynfawr
more spells

I got to steal Dirty knives today against Brewers. It's super fun. I got to beat on s knocked down hooper and toss it out like I was Oprah. Had every member of my opponents team in range. 

That being said, it doesn't do quite enough damage for it to be fantastic. Just loads of fun. Which is why I like the game. 

The most effective I've had was Where'd they go. The most fun I've had was Lob Barrel. Keen to try dirty knives though, that play is better than it looks at first glance.

On Saturday, January 16, 2016 at 9:50 PM, marchant06 said:

Sorry not that he can take peoples abilities, but the fact his GB* is in column 1. Its not that he can do 21 damage an activation, it'd that he dies it so reliably.

Not let me be honest in saying I'm probably not a great player as loading him with seven is my go to style of playing, but when I do get something amazing like scything touch it seems pretty unfun for the other guy.

Glad someone is saying it.  Guy can slay half a team in one activation with it.  Ya he would be crowded out but he just has to barely touch the lowest def model and boom 9 damage...7 times.