SFG Forums Closing On March 11th 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
EpicChris

Fangtooth - having trouble understanding the point of him

I don't get Fangtooth. He seems to have far too many drawbacks with no real gains other than a bit of extra health. His Foul Odor affects friendlies as well as enemies which is a huge problem (a 8" circle your team can't enter without being slowed). His Unleashed costs a momentum and causes 5 DMG (which is extremely dangerous - anything from 1/3 to 1/2 of a model's health) to friendlies only (why only friendlies??). And he's slow without being unleashed. And he doesn't do much damage when he gets to an enemy as his TAC is pretty average and he doesn't charge for free so makes at best 2 hits. 

I don't see why I would ever take him. Even Averisse is better (and he's pretty average as a 'Big Guy' except for his Greede play). Fangtooth is just a massive/slow liability. What's he for? We have better and harder hitters (Decimate/Rage/Minx) and if we want to tank, I'd rather have a 4+ 1 ARM model than a 2+ one. I mean a model that doesn't die is nice and all...but if that's all he does then he's not helping win the game.

Has anyone used him successfully? I can see Rage could work with him, but how do you move Fangtooth around without slowing down the rest of your team? I have played with him and found all the above to be a nightmare - he was actually helping my opponent!

If Foul Odor affected enemies only I could see him being useful as a defender, but as it stands...

I haven't fielded fang tooth yet, but I think he has some play teaming up with rage and shutting down one side of the pitch. Fishers and alchemists have some light footed strikers so perhaps a less potent a drop against them. He does also have fairly easy access to causing bleed, so working with rage the opponent will have to consider the impact of those conditions.

Not used him but was considering using him with Fishermen as a couple of them ignore rough ground.

His heroic play only seems viable if you keep him away from rest of the team.

But he has loads of health points, more than any other player so could see him used as a heavy weight blocker.

I tried him and he doesn't work the way you think. Lots of health doesn't really matter - enemies either attack him to gain massive momentum swings or dodge around him. He can slow them down - but I found they just passed the ball out and went to town to gain momentum. And he slowed the entire Union down as they want to play close(ish) to Blackheart and Coin. Or he got in the way of running back to get the ball (as you had to run through his aura). Urgh. He does not seem to work to/for me. If he had Close Control or Bleed CTs or 2" melee or something...but he just seemed a massive walking liability. I'll try some Rage/Fangtooth winger combos, but I'm not sold on his purpose.

Maybe he's just one of the Union mercs who plays better for other teams than the Union.

Agree he looks like a better combo with some of the other factions, fishermen mentioned above seems like it has some value.

I'd think it depends on who you're playing too, against butchers taking away their movement is always a bonus, so you use the big lump to slow some of their players down and try to get a couple of scores on the board with your fast stuff.

He's a cool model, that's enough to justify having him for me, even if I don't field him that often.

Speaking for the point of view of a Fangtooth fan. I think he is a great asset to the teams he can play for. However, at first I too thought he was just a smelly slow hulk. Then, when I started to just move him around the area of my goal I realised. He is the closest thing the game currently has to a goalkeeper. Pushing away players and getting the ball when he can and 'attempting' to kick it up field is extremely useful..he may he bad at kicking. But to just get the ball away is some times useful

He works really well with rage.....as he ignores Fangtooths foul odour and heroic play. I think his foul odour is a great way of slowing down the fishermen (those that don't ignore it) if he isn't too close to the goal. Standing him a bit further forward like around the half way line seems to work ok for me. Him and Rage a little tag team as both not that mobile. Just hitting anything that comes in the centre part of the table. My other players like Blackheart, Hemlocke, Snakeskin, Mist close down both flanks stealing the ball.

They errata'd his card so that Foul Odour reads:

Change to Ability - Foul Odour [ 3" Aura ] Other models within the aura treat open-ground as rough-ground.

Meaning he himself isn't slowed by it.

Errata and clarifications are pinned at the top of the Rules sub-forum.

Thanks for the input guys...I had picked up both Rage and Fangtooth just for the models and was trying to think of how the heck I was going to use Fangtooth effectively. Looks like there is a nice little duo play with these two.

I like the idea of using him as a goal keeper as well. 

Someone used him very effectively against me the other day with Fishes. He prevented a turn 1 goal from Mist and then caused a right pain in the arse all game barreling through my guys further up field

The worst that could happen would be the Shot attempt reduces to a single die needing a '6', e.g. with 2-3 negative modifiers in effect.  If Mist had a spare MP for Bonus Time, he could get up to a 2 dice pool needing '6's.

Don't think he could have actually prevented a goal attempt, except with some weird combo of a Counter-Attack and The Unmasking perhaps

I liked your explanation Tim. If cdhay had some kind of special trick or combo I didn't think of I was hoping he would share with us. :D

Yeah it was that his odour just meant that I couldn't get in range to charge shark to tackle him and shoot. I was positioned about 10" away I think so with normal ground would have made it but had to pass through the aura reducing my MOV

So he cleverly positioned shark with the ball next to fangtooth knowing I would be just out of range. And I had stacked up mist with inf so effectively wasting all 4. I had already whered they go before realising I wouldn't be in range. So ended up just moving mist out wide to get some momentum from siren. Usually I rub my hands in glee when someone leaves the ball with one of their players 7/8" in front of their own goal. But not this time.....

Couldn't you have used a momemntum for Gliding and at least grabbed the ball with Mist? Or were you without momentum when you activated Mist?

I like the mental image of Mist clutching his nose shut and rushing through the stench, all for the glory of the game :-)

It was my first activation of turn 1 so no momentum. I could have waited but the moment may have passed and tbh Mist was the only one who had any chance of reaching his team turn 1 as he had cleverly not moved anyone over his deployment zone

Gotcha.

I was wondering because I was playing union vs engineers the other night and had a similar rough terrain situation. Luckily I remembered the Gliding ability with momentum and was able to mitigate the rough terrain, completely unexpected by my opponent.

Yeah it is prob the rule most people forget / or are unaware of ao you are right to point it out. And tbh I prob would have forgotten at the time if I had had the momentum to use.

Ok, after reading this thread and considering my painted but unplayed Fangtooth I decided to try him out in a game last night. My union lineup was a bit unconventional, as I also had a newly painted but untried Snakeskin. My lineup was:

Blackheart

Coin

Snakeskin

Fangtooth

Mist

Decimate

vs a "classic" Mason lineup of:

Honour

Marbles

Harmony

Flint

Brick

Mallet

I started the big smelly brute in the middle of the table, separating the rest of the team from him and leaving him lots of room to play alone. Blackheart and Snakeskin were to my right while Decimate, Mist, and Coin were to my left. I opened by giving the ball to Fangtooth to kick off, allowing him to move up before the start of the game. Brick, Harmony, and Marbles came down my left field to grab the ball and Fangtooth ended up moving over to engage them with Decimate. This ended up keeping half of my opponents team tied up for nearly the whole game, allowing Mist to float around waiting for a return goal kick (I intended to concede the first goal to "make a game of it") and BH/Snakeskin to threaten the rest of his team.

Fangtooth worked really well against another big model target with a 2+ defense. This allowed him to get off his unmasking a couple times, really tearing apart the other enemy models close by. Decimate was particularly good in the situation with her dodges and 2 inch reach keeping her out of his stink and out of his unleashed danger zone. Fangtooth also brought a key playbook result that is missing from other players in the Union, a 1 success momentous knockdown. His 3 success momentous 2/kd is also a great play I saw most often on a charge.

Using that low knockdown meant he was regularly keeping models locked in combat with him, and able to charge away to deal with nearby threats when necessary (i.e. a Mallet beating on Blackheart threat in this game). Parking him in the middle of the field pushed the play to the sides, which is not a bad thing for the union. It also kept him in decent charge range to cover any threats that popped up on a flank.

Fangtooth seems to have our most reliable knockdown on the team, it's just a matter of determining how important that is to your playstyle and game plan.