Hi fellow blacksmiths,
I'm new to guildball and chose blacksmiths because of the preassembled plastic kits and the aesthetics of the models/theme.
Though I am playing kings of war for the past 2 years, had played warmahordes for the past 4 years, and 1 year of Wfb 8th before that.
would like to discuss some points in detail, I posted the same in the blacksmiths Facebook grp as well. Numbered for easy referencing.
1) I'm quite convinced blacksmiths are better at playing ball than fighting. Usually aiming for 3 goals or 2/2.
1a) That's because the masters all don't have much damage, w the exception of burnish captain for a triple aoe, but that's not generating momentum for 4 INf spent.
1b) unassisted the apprentices usually gets momentous 2 results. With tooled up that makes 3 but that's still not super impressive as main damage outputs. That's barring maximised set ups but we don't get that all the time.
1c) Iron might seem the most impressive combatant on paper, but I often find myself spending 1 influence buffing speed n 2 influence charging just to get into combat. So that leaves only 1 more attack for a total of 2.
2) low Def is a big issue against character plays as I find my Def 2 iron blinded by hemlocke the whole game.
3) low overall mobility of blacksmiths also mean we get out maneuvered easily. I lost a game to skatha cos opponent spread out his army, and I reacted the same way and I found my forces out of position to help each other.
3a) because of low mobility I find the scrum usually happening on my half of the pitch, which is very bad when I'm trying to win by scoring.
4) I know a lot of people had written off anvil n sledge. I had too, but I have recently looked at them again n might consider trying them out again.
4a) Because of (3a), anvil's while the iron is hot might be valuable for turn 1 n possibly turn 2 to slide my army up 2-4" to hopefully bring the scrum to the enemy's half of the pitch. Singled out seems to be better than tooled up for Dealing damage once I have 2 or more players hitting the same opponent.
4b) sledge might be better for tackling the ball n passing. He gets a free long bomb from anvil. Attacks n tackle on 1. Push enemy out of engage and he can pass the ball 10".
5) I can't seem to make farris work other than to give bolt free character play.
6) I know we're supposed to play bunched up, partially cos of low mobility, and partially for the sentinel, but it also causes a lot of issues of not covering enough of the board, and
7) I find apprentices very squishy, even with sentinel opponent can easily push me out of the sentinel aura. So I usually keep them back, and they could only attack whatever the opponent sends in.
8) people find ferrite awesome as captain but I see it as ferrite needing to be captain to be playable. It's mainly just for the +2inf cap. I often find myself popping the legendary just for herself to get the distance to score.
I'm by no means a pro so just wanna know if everyone faces similar issues or I'm just playing wrong.