Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Calendar   07/14/2017

The new Event Calendar is live in the toolbar! Pundits can now log their upcoming events here so everyone can see what's going on in their area. Take a look, it will fill with more new things as the days go by.
Silversmith

A kind of the unfun game

Last night I had a game against our resident Fisherman.  He brought Shark and looked forward to playing me.  He had finally seen some success regularly against my son who plays Hunters.  This game was considerably less fun than most others I've had with him. 

I took Ballista, Mainspring, Ratchet, Colossus, Compound, VVelocity.

He took Shark, Salt, Angel, Jac, Kraken, OSiren.

I kicked off with Ballista and he came up with Angel to retrieve the ball from the midline.  

He kicked it back to Shark who dodged forward into the forest and Ballista Deadbolted Shark then walked to Angel and pushed her toward my line and I think did a tiny bit of damage.  I don't remember all that happened but Ratchet overclocked Mainspring and tooled up VVel.  I know the ball changed hands almost every activation.  Siren came forward and Ballista went to work on her.  VVel took her out turn 2. The most influence I gave Ratchet was 1.  Every turn.  My plan was just to tool up VVel and Ballista, but he more often went for a single attack on someone.  I put Singled out on Shark a couple times and VVel once because of Siren.Compound didnt do anything useful all game but provide crowd outs.  Oh yeah he held the ball when Shark went into him on his return to the pitch.  Shark hit Gluttonous mass and then tackled the ball on his last influence.  I just took it back on my turn.  So I guess he was useful after all.

I like Ratchet's Mom 2.  He feels like a beater of opportunity.  If someone is crowded out and knocked down he comes in to lay down some hurt for momentum.  Other than that I used him and Compound as batteries. 

I chose Mainspring because I was not bringing Hoist.  And Fish.  He tackled for free with Overclocked once and kicked free with Launch Control twice.  Colossus did Colossus things and knocked down Fish all game.

My opponent was quite frustrated.  I didn't have to kill the ball because we both take it away so well.  And Engineers can beat face if necessary.  I also didnt enjoy the game because I like to score.  This game was very sloggy. It also felt like I was almost cheating since I brought anti Fish tech I dont usually use.

I might play the lineup in tournament play but not casual play again.

I presume your opponent is inexperienced since his line up is the fish starter box plus 3 season 1 players.  Sounds like you played with a style that would have been perfectly acceptable in a competitive environment but unfortunately excessive against a newbie.  The only practical advice I can give is when you're playing in a casual setting against a markedly less skilled player than yourself, play Hunters and play them by the seat of your pants.  That guild's crippling reliance on character plays will introducing vulnerabilities into your play without you having to deliberately throw the match so both you and your opponent can play to win without the game collapsing into a grind.

2 hours ago, MechMage said:

That guild's crippling reliance on character plays will introducing vulnerabilities into your play without you having to deliberately throw the match.

*cries softly*

10 hours ago, MechMage said:

I presume your opponent is inexperienced since his line up is the fish starter box plus 3 season 1 players.  Sounds like you played with a style that would have been perfectly acceptable in a competitive environment but unfortunately excessive against a newbie.  The only practical advice I can give is when you're playing in a casual setting against a markedly less skilled player than yourself, play Hunters and play them by the seat of your pants.  That guild's crippling reliance on character plays will introducing vulnerabilities into your play without you having to deliberately throw the match so both you and your opponent can play to win without the game collapsing into a grind.

Not new, just broke. He also has Corsair, just likes Shark more. He hasn't played me in 3 weeks as I have been unable to play for 3 weeks. When we started, at the same time no less, he got the models he liked.  Since then he has added only Corsair.  I have told him to proxy other models but he won't.  I wouldn't have ever played 1 goal keeper much less 2 against someone I'm trying to get into the game. 

12 hours ago, MechMage said:

This is so true it hurts...

9 hours ago, JacctheInsomniac said:

*cries softly*

*cries with you*

On 7/8/2017 at 5:02 AM, MechMage said:

On 7/8/2017 at 7:56 AM, JacctheInsomniac said:

*cries softly*

On 7/8/2017 at 5:53 PM, kryzak said:

This is so true it hurts...

*cries with you*

@MechMage @JacctheInsomniac @kryzak *sobs his way into the trio*