Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Calendar   07/14/2017

The new Event Calendar is live in the toolbar! Pundits can now log their upcoming events here so everyone can see what's going on in their area. Take a look, it will fill with more new things as the days go by.
Steamforged

PITCH FORMATIONS THEORY THREAD

132 posts in this topic

Hello All,

We recently published a blog post [LINK] that gives rules for Pitch Formations. Please leave your feedback on the rules here so our development team can take them into consideration.

Haven't had a chance to test it obviously, but the effects would be huge! I'm loving it as a possible standard already

Yeah the impact of this is no doubt gigantic. I think we'll get some test games in locally very soon. 

One of my first thoughts is what would it look like it you didn't have to be on the line you are associated with, just behind it.  It could let you use more of the pitch to set up your plays.

My first impression is that this is awesome. I like how it adds more strategy to deployment and player selection. Need to play with it before I decide I like it, but I'm pretty excited to try it. 

1) This is really, really interesting. Excited to give this a go.

2) What do the numbers by each player icon mean?

This will definitely make big changes to the line up as defensive players will definitely shine. Abilities like stoic, sturdy, fear, glut mass, close control and unpredictable will now have a double premium.

Stave is sad

One thing needs addressed before finalizing. Double players like Avarisse and Greede or Brainpan and Memory.

47 minutes ago, LinChaiMing said:

If the ball lands within 1 inch of a friendly model after a kick off, can that model get the ball?

I imagine it's like a normal kick off in that the kicking team can't snap the ball.

1 hour ago, LinChaiMing said:

This will definitely make big changes to the line up as defensive players will definitely shine. Abilities like stoic, sturdy, fear, glut mass, close control and unpredictable will now have a double premium.

Stave is sad

To the same merrit, I feel like teams with lack of valuable defensive tech and a surplus of squishies (who could I be talking about?) will be disproportionately punished.

For the purposes of saving time I think this is a neat idea. That being said I don't think I like it all that well for anything other than a pick up game. I'll try it but I can't imagine people wanting to run it in a competitive setting (time saver is great but it feels very limiting)

8 minutes ago, Pending Forum Suspension said:

For the purposes of saving time I think this is a neat idea. That being said I don't think I like it all that well for anything other than a pick up game. I'll try it but I can't imagine people wanting to run it in a competitive setting (time saver is great but it feels very limiting)

I can tell you from talking to some very competitive players that we are all pretty excited to play this format competitively.

27 minutes ago, Frostmane said:

I can tell you from talking to some very competitive players that we are all pretty excited to play this format competitively.

I have also talked to some of the competitive/top ranked crowd and we are not excited for it.  Too many obvious flaws with the system.

5 minutes ago, Isante said:

I have also talked to some of the competitive/top ranked crowd and we are not excited for it.  Too many obvious flaws with the system.

What if, and I'm just spitballing here, the rules were released in a beta form and feedback was requested?

Just now, Frostmane said:

What if, and I'm just spitballing here, the rules were released in a beta form and feedback was requested?

What if, and I'm just spitballing here, it was an alternate format that is never going to be used in competitive tournaments?

2 minutes ago, Frostmane said:

Simmer down.

Tone returned, stepping away.

A question, that I may have missed the answer to somewhere, that I have is whether the kicking team will start with a momentum in this scenario since we are "kinda-sorta" starting from turn two. It looks like the intent is no but I thought it seemed worth asking.

Just now, Isante said:

What if, and I'm just spitballing here, it was an alternate format that is never going to be used in competitive tournaments?

Is there anything you won't complain about?

10 minutes ago, Isante said:

I wouldn't mind hearing what the obvious flaws are. Is it just that now everyone can steal and score on turn 1 or are there others? Honestly, that "flaw" seems like something you might have to plan for and adjust strategies to make it not happen. Maybe that's impossible, but it sounds like something a beta test would be good for. 

If you feel there are other flaws though I'd like to hear them. I really like this format but want to make sure it's balanced before I go all in. 

7 minutes ago, Frostmane said:

Is there anything you won't complain about?

Do you shill for everything or just SF?

1 minute ago, Isante said:

Do you shill for everything or just SF?

He was legit trying to sell me Westvleteren 12 the other day. The man stops at nothing.