Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Calendar   07/14/2017

The new Event Calendar is live in the toolbar! Pundits can now log their upcoming events here so everyone can see what's going on in their area. Take a look, it will fill with more new things as the days go by.
Sign in to follow this  
Bertmac

Captains

What matchup are generally best for our Captains  I like both of them but 2" seems such a big thing I'm struggling to know when to bring Esters!

I guess it depends on which Drunks you prefer to play with even more than the matchup: personally I find Tapper to be more effective for me and wouldn't even consider Esters into anything but Smoke's alchs (and even then I'm not 100% sure). 

So far  I actually prefer Esters over Tapper.

I do like having a Captain that does not force a specific activation order. I always feel that I need to activate Tapper first to get the most of him.

She can switch between slinging off damage from a distance, to supporting friendly models with her free buff.

She just feels more flexible in the team than Tapper overall.

Ester all the way she Is more Versatile and Tapper suffers from debuffs more than the big Lady. I only used Ester since she has came out, over Tapper. 

Esters feels flat out worse than Tapper.  She has no effective kickoff, she steals a valuable 2" reach model from your team, has a less effective damage buff, doesn't do as much dmg, glut mass isn't as good as tough hide, she doesn't make as much inf, she cant be given as much inf, and she's not even the mediocre goal threat that Tapper can be. I honestly have never even seen a comparison between the two. 

10 hours ago, Frankanelli said:

Esters feels flat out worse than Tapper.  She has no effective kickoff, she steals a valuable 2" reach model from your team, has a less effective damage buff, doesn't do as much dmg, glut mass isn't as good as tough hide, she doesn't make as much inf, she cant be given as much inf, and she's not even the mediocre goal threat that Tapper can be. I honestly have never even seen a comparison between the two. 

In a vacuum Tapper is indeed the better player.  Still, I would not set Esters aside...  She does buff her team up with her free song(s) making the team better at what it does.  She does not need the entire stack of Inf on her to do something, Tapper does.  In this way she enables her team to do more. 

That said, I am a Tapper player and only fidget about with Esters on the occasional 'let's try something new - urge'.
ATM (and this is a deadmans chest idea here, not fielded it yet) I'm thinking about fielding Esters with Mash and Harry the Hat as a 'forward' team to walk into the free snapshot-trap.  (moving Esters away if there is nothing to disrupt that free snapshot turret) I would play Quaff for 2nd wind on my strikers Friday and VetSpigot who would hopefully score me some goals - either by themselves or through Mash.  I might switch out a player - not sure who yet - for Stoker, but as I said this is all theory...

So to answer the question in the first post: Bring Esters for a fun game, take tapper to compete.

1 hour ago, Bob The Builder said:

In a vacuum Tapper is indeed the better player.  Still, I would not set Esters aside...  She does buff her team up with her free song(s) making the team better at what it does.  She does not need the entire stack of Inf on her to do something, Tapper does.  In this way she enables her team to do more. 

That said, I am a Tapper player and only fidget about with Esters on the occasional 'let's try something new - urge'.
ATM (and this is a deadmans chest idea here, not fielded it yet) I'm thinking about fielding Esters with Mash and Harry the Hat as a 'forward' team to walk into the free snapshot-trap.  (moving Esters away if there is nothing to disrupt that free snapshot turret) I would play Quaff for 2nd wind on my strikers Friday and VetSpigot who would hopefully score me some goals - either by themselves or through Mash.  I might switch out a player - not sure who yet - for Stoker, but as I said this is all theory...

So to answer the question in the first post: Bring Esters for a fun game, take tapper to compete.

I dont mean to say that Esters cant ever win a game or isnt fun, just that if you are looking for a matchup based choice, the answer is always Tapper. And specifically because their games dont differ enough, forcing a choice over which is better. 

To stray from the original topic a bit... Striker Esters is a fun team. Until a goal run gets jammed up in a dumb spot when every other team's striker would just dodge away.  I'd really like to see Ester's heroic and legendary switch. Add the healing factor back in. Make it so you can use 2 songs every turn. I think it would make her a much more supporting captain and give her a different game than tapper.

I was a huge fan of Esters (and the Brewers) in S2, but, with the healing removed from her Heroic, I just haven't been able to find a niche for her.  I think a tweak is in order - upping her Max Inf to 6 (via Tactical Advice: Quaff?) and/or lowering her access to >> could bring her back to the table.

45 minutes ago, Woldie said:

I was a huge fan of Esters (and the Brewers) in S2, but, with the healing removed from her Heroic, I just haven't been able to find a niche for her.  I think a tweak is in order - upping her Max Inf to 6 (via Tactical Advice: Quaff?) and/or lowering her access to >> could bring her back to the table.

Yeah but those things just make her more like Tapper. I'd actually rather trade her glut mass for a couple more boxes and momentous inspiration. That plus a heroic that says something along the lines of "you may use your song again this turn" and a legendary that cleared conditions and healed 3-4 in a pulse. I think she would be able to facilitate a spread out brewers team. She'd have a place in a couple matchups and be different from Tapper. 

And to try and remain on topic... Esters can sort of try and facilitate a spread out game now, but she can either choose a turn of super speed or extra damage. And her heroic is situational at best. Compared to Tapper who brings the speed he need in spigot and has a heroic thats basically always helpful. Plus his multi-player dmg buff isnt tied to a legendary.