Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mako

Mako's Expert Procrastination Thread

27 posts in this topic

I have been painting, but I've not got anything to show for it yet (bonesaw needs his base doing and a matte coat to knock down the gloss varnish that protects him...). Instead today, when it was too warm to paint, I made myself a thematic dice bag for my guild ball stuff. It has a bit more room than I anticipated despite being in (fake) suede with a fake sude inner lining and a layer of padding :D

iTW3h6t.jpg

FzENlb7.jpg

Just to prove I've dome some painting, despite the unpleasant heat...

uZQ7lNY.jpg

And yes, that's zenithal priming that decided to go a bit speckly... stupid humidity made getting my airbrush settings right a pain :D

Nice work on Scalpel's skin.

Really impressed with the dice bag, that is cool and original! 

Cheers!

Dark skin is weirdly daunting, I haven't painted enough of it. Went ok though, I'll probably add a few more glazes later in the process to finish it up but for now it's on to the clothing. 

The bag came about because I only had smaller bags that would barely take my old Kickstarter dice in, and I figured if I was going to make one specially for guild ball, it may as well be an actual ball :)

Im starting to think I can fit a whole set of muse on minis tokens in it on top of 30 dice, the square top instead of a drawstring setup gives a lot of space...

Oh, and because I found a passable photo of bonesaw when he was almost finished, here's a reveal of my mortician's guild colouring, taken from mourning colours in various parts of the middle east and subcontinent:

L75SxHU.jpg

My Art Of War tokens arrived today, lovely stuff! Thanks @Grantt:D

Half an hour later, I've now got a shiny colour coded measuring stick set (and many more unpainted widgets!)

A quick view of the process: Blob on paint, peel away most of the paper, use the back of some tweezers to push the rest of the paper away and wipe with a piece of cloth to be sure, peel off the backing and lo, finished result (with white edge markings for easy sight)

QWofZpZ.jpg

Ewh7dZR.jpg

Man I really like your Bonesaw, he looks ace. Colour scheme works well too. 

I painted up Bonesaw last year, for someone else. Love the sculpt, it just seemed to paint itself. So much so, I'm tempted to get some Morticians myself now. I'll look forward to seeing how yours turn out, it's not often you see a 'bright' colour scheme on them. Although I'm even more impressed you've found out other cultures' mourning colours to create your scheme.

Oh your rainbow rulers look pretty good too.

Cheers Doc!

He is a great sculpt, that model just falls straight at the brush in convenient ways.

I'm a sucker for doing something different, and much as I really like the monochrome schemes, White schemes and dark brooding schemes I saw around, I wanted to find something that was a little different. Eastern mourning colours turned out quite convenient, especially when I only ended up using three paints for the blue and orange combined - they were both highlighted to scalecolor Mojave White (basically pale ivory) to take the saturation down a bit.

I've done a ball in the same two colours and leather, which means I've ended up painting in the order of my general game plan; Bonesaw, ball, Scalpel... everyone else in a random jumble :P 

I dare say they won't look in any way somber or dramatic, but they'll probably be quite unusual!

after all, I've still got this pink metallic paint I've been itching to find an excuse to use...

Do you use a lot of scale75? I have bought a set, but i just don't seem to be able to get it to work for me. I struggle to blend it in comparison to my other paints.

I have to admit at not getting enough practice though!

I really like Scalecolor, but they take some serious getting used to. And a lot of thinning, to the point where they barely colour things.

It took me a while, but I think I get passable results now, working from a grey-white zenithal priming and using them really diluted as glazes all the way. Which also means you're going back and forth so much the transitions soften together automatically. They come out so beautifully matte too, which for display pieces is fantastic as you don't have to risk a matte spray to knock the shine back.

The metals they make are gorgeous; they don't have the same coverage difficulties as the standard colours and the flakes are so fine they go through the airbrush or paint on by hand really smoothly. Plus their metal'n'alchemy sets give you some really interesting coloured metallics.

I know some people that put down a basecoat of Vallejo colour for coverage, then use the scalecolor stuff for shading and highlights, but last time I tried that it went so wrong I had to drop my poor resin cosset in paint stripper.

(That turned out to also be the first time ever that my paint stripper melted a resin model, and resin cosset is tricky to replace... I now have three obuluseseses :D )

Bonesaw and Scalpel are purely done with grey/white priming and scalecolour paints, except for the eyes - I did resort to VMC deck tan and a dab of VMC black for that, because no way was I trying to build up a decent pale colour with a dozen layers in those tiny spaces!

More painting! (Yes, it's very slow progress. I'm slow anyway and I don't get a lot of time for it these days :D )

Most of the orange is done, the back of her skirt will be blue like her top, and most of the rest will be leather. At some point I'll have to do her hair I suppose too!

cmsGIJy.jpg

On 2017-6-27 at 0:33 AM, Mako said:

(That turned out to also be the first time ever that my paint stripper melted a resin model, and resin cosset is tricky to replace... I now have three obuluseseses :D )

I didn't think it was possible to stop spelling the plural of Obulus, well done lol 😁 

Thanks for the advice on scalecolour, maybe it's not for me, I'm not a very patient person/painter. But I'll bare what you've said in mind and experiment when I get chance. 

I do love that orange though, nice vibrant colour.

Some really nice work here pal. I remember Scalpels hair, was a right pain once I realised she needed skin painted in between the braids. 

Which paints did you use on her flesh?

Funnily enough I've just done Hammers skin. Find it odd that the GW range has paints specifically for undead, rats, green skin and bruised, but not African. I started with 50/50 Bugmans/Gorthor brown with a tiny dab of Rhinox. Was pleased with the result, although it wasn't the shade I was aiming at its a believable African color.

Yeah, I only spotted that right at the end of working on the skin... if I'd missed it until I'd done the hair that would suck!

It's kind of a shame how few paints there are for different skin colours, you usually get white/pale white/tanned white and that's it. Variation is so much more interesting.

I've been using the scalecolor flesh set, they have typically blunt names but they do provide some decent flexibility. And for the first time ever, my flesh tones come out the way I was aiming them...

Scalpel uses African Shadow (a kind of purple-black with a hint of red), Arabic Shadow (a sort of coffee brown with a bit of olive in it) and Basic Flesh (which is pretty much what you'd expect). Just glazed back and forth til I was happy with it.

I might add a tiny tiny bit of dark blue into the shadows at the end, I usually make a final pass over the skin once I've got the rest of the colour in just to check it's working ok.

Hopefully I'll get her mostly finished this week, and can move on to the other model on my painting table - cosset. (There's also a warmachine solo on it for their painting contest at gencon, but she doesn't count ;) )

That was one crazy week... I got nothing done until today, but Scalpel is now basically finished at last!

oCwb8xM.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mako said:

That was one crazy week... I got nothing done until today, but Scalpel is now basically finished at last!

oCwb8xM.jpg

This Is Awesome Dude!

Cheers! Those metal bits seemed to go on forever :D

It is a bit of a relief that the orange and blue are working out, given they're not the friendliest of colours to pair up. I can't claim they look somber, but I don't really care when they're working out well!

Thanks @Malritch!

I've spent close to 20 years painting on and off - it's not natural talent, just way too much practice :D

Cosset is up next, I've started her skin and sleeves. Also been working on building a goal, which is very slowly taking shape (although I have to sculpt two trees). And dirge went under the knife recently for a fairly significant conversion, as a crow didn't quite feel right. Scalpel is wearing a couple of feathers of the bird's new colours though, and hopefully I'll finish the sculpting soon!

Hm, I seem to be doing a few too many painting updates... have to distract myself with other things soon or I'll lose my record for procrastination!

Cossey was pretty good to paint, felt I had to mess up her dress a bit to emphasise her fluff - I don't normally go for dirty paintwork.

FfmTNa0.jpg

That's three down, three to go if I want to finish a basic team by gencon :D

5 minutes ago, Mako said:

Hm, I seem to be doing a few too many painting updates... have to distract myself with other things soon or I'll lose my record for procrastination!

Cossey was pretty good to paint, felt I had to mess up her dress a bit to emphasise her fluff - I don't normally go for dirty paintwork.

FfmTNa0.jpg

That's three down, three to go if I want to finish a basic team by gencon :D

You did such a Lovely Job!

Took three goes to get her eyebrows even though, she had a proper Spock expression for a while!

Also, I only realised she had her doll tied to her waist when I started painting. How did I miss that for so long?

Next up will be silence or Ghast I suppose, as I'm still converting dirge. Might prep them both tomorrow, once I've gloss coated the two ladies to protect the paintwork, then I can decide on a whim when I get the brushes out. I also have a lot of prep to do for their bases, and the goal... and four weeks to hit my deadline, along with making a large cake and various other things!

Great team ... I particularly like the subtle, life-like look on the skin tones. Look forward to seeing the rest!

I've mostly worked on the goal this last week, it's now fully built and sat in my priming queue along with Silence and Ghast

VTBDL0x.jpg

Wasn't in the mood for airbrushing though yesterday or today, so instead I threw a cake together to test a new recipe idea I'd had. Annoyingly discovered I didn't have anything to make edible grass with, so the pitch is a lot muddier than originally planned, but I was only messing about so didn't want the hassle of a shopping trip just for that!

Lj9hWuI.jpg

And with that, I feel my procrastination record is safe again :D