Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Napoleon

Vs Morticians

So I am just going to talk about Obulus, as I really don't think Scalpel wants to see Alchemists (UP on Smoke, UP on Naja, UP on Midas as well as vKat are reason enough)

I play Dan Harwood a lot, I see typically see 7 on obulus, 1 on graves, 2 on cosset and 3 on ghast. I think there's a few key things you have to do in the match up makes it hard for Obulus. 

I find the key thing for me is try to keep Obulus having to use PM as possible. 3 attacks from Obulus does very little, as well as his damage being non momentous. Having him burning allows you to play around his small threat, forcing the PM limits his easy 14 damage. Secondly he has to be pretty careful of harry, pushing Obulus into range of oKat is just a straight up dead Obulus. Lastly Obulus cannot keep the ball safe from Midas, it's very easy to get within range to Heroic play into 1", get the ball and a goal. 5/1 makes Obulus counter attack trivial once Midas has the ball. 

I have played Obulus 4 times within the last week and a half against Dan and won all 4. I think the match up is good for Midas. All the mort team is easy to kill bar Obulus and Ghast is a bit of a pain. 

The roster I draft vs Morticians is Midas, Flask, Katalyst, Harry, Vitriol, Crucible. We are playing the three best players in alchemists (Kat, Harry, and Vitriol) and Crucible in the flex slot. This is arguably Crucible's best match up. Morticians are a low momentum team so taxing Katalyst's fire is a huge deal, but really its more about the healing if they have to spend 2 healing the players that Katalyst attacks they are in so much trouble. The dodge makes her super hard to pin down and if they are going after Crucible it means they are not spending resources dealing with Katalyst. We draft Flask to double down on the condition threat since the main reason to play Naja is ball protection. 

There are a few tricks to playing vs puppet master the biggest one that isn't obvious is that you can take parting blows against your own models. This is useful if Obulus is going to walk Harry to his death you can take a free strike with Katalyst and knock harry down. Also if you think he is going to puppet master the ball away from you unsnap it.

If he plays Casket try to avoid fighting him Alchemists straight can't kill this guy. Casket is also a bit like vet Kat in that if he doesn't get the legendary off (heroic for vet Kat) the Morticians probably lose.

Hit his soft targets. Cosset routinely dies by accident 12 hp 4/0 both harry and Kat are capable of killing her but if you put both into her no amount of bad dice can save her. Same goes for Bonesaw, but I'm assuming he isn't being played. Graves is also a lot softer than he looks.

Lastly the entire faction is super vulnerable to being counter attacked. The team has very few KD's and quite a few are hard to get to. 

Hope this helps!

-Vincent

One more from a fellow Mortician: Lure him to use Rigor Mortis. Rigor Mortis is usually only used to get the winning kill or goal by going first or anything of those likings. You should not be afraid to generate momentum, because Rigor Mortis only works once per Game, and if he uses it so you can't shoot a goal or can't go next - without the Mortician Player having at least 8 or 10 points - that will make your chances of winning better. So if you generate Momentum, and it traps him into using Rigor Mortis: Good for you! One round of inconvenience should be okay, especially for Alchemists I might add. To be fair, though, you should be mindful about the board state, because it could still give him a great advantage depending on it. So try to play mindful about your positioning aswell, cause that's the Morticians shtick.

I wish you the best of success!

3 hours ago, RTOAHB said:

@TheCurkov I think Crucible needs to be careful against obulus though, Obulus kills her with tooled up without trying. 

Very true, but tooled up is telegraphed. His odds become pretty dicey if she uses nimble. His threat is 9" she jogs + dogdes 10" so the threat range game is pretty playable. So you have ways to protect her and he can position in places that force you to put crucible where you will get no work out of the aura.

Definitely a game to be played here, but at long as you are cognizant of him being able to kill her I think you will be fine.

Yeah I played Crucible into Obulus before, she seemed okay. She seemed more relavent then Compound did and Obulus did go to kill her but missed 1 hit (on 4s) and survived. I don't mind Obulus going for her in a team of of Midas, Naja, oKt, Vitriol, Crucible and harry if I'm honest. Just was pointing out need to be aware it's easy for Obulus to delete her. 

13 minutes ago, Chill84 said:

I thought morts were a scoring team - when should you bring in compound?

I wouldn't call Morts a scoring team. Not to mention most of their strikers/scoring models are able to avoid counter charge. They also have several ways to control compound. Lure, Puppet Master, Mis direction and Heavy Burden all do a number to him.

19 minutes ago, Dracilic said:

I wouldn't call Morts a scoring team. Not to mention most of their strikers/scoring models are able to avoid counter charge. They also have several ways to control compound. Lure, Puppet Master, Mis direction and Heavy Burden all do a number to him.

Not to mention that darn puppet that disables the fat man at no risk or influence investment.

2 minutes ago, MechMage said:

Not to mention that darn puppet that disables the fat man at no risk or influence investment.

Yea I was going to mention Memory as well. I'm not a big fan of B&M but I would bring them against a team that brought Compound.

11 minutes ago, Dracilic said:

Yea I was going to mention Memory as well. I'm not a big fan of B&M but I would bring them against a team that brought Compound.

ah, I forgot about the UM on Ob, and my friend does love his bp&m. rip compound.

5 minutes ago, Chill84 said:

ah, I forgot about the UM on Ob, and my friend does love his bp&m. rip compound.

UM isn't an issue due to Compound's 2" reach, unless positioning is an issue. It's more of the other tools he has. 

21 hours ago, Jynxed85 said:

Shouldn't have to worry about LURE or PM on Compound. Gluttenous Mass should be ignoring it.

Obviously you pop it first. He is not immune to either and it's something you have to consider. Either way, Compound is a weaker choice into Morts than some of the other options.

Yes, I agree there is better choices to play into Morts than Compound. Just, Morts don't have many options for ranged plays outside of Lure/PM to be targeting Compound with that I have to fear about.

It would be a large waste of influence for them and I would be rather fine with them wasting that much just to negate his GM.

7 hours ago, Jynxed85 said:

Yes, I agree there is better choices to play into Morts than Compound. Just, Morts don't have many options for ranged plays outside of Lure/PM to be targeting Compound with that I have to fear about.

It would be a large waste of influence for them and I would be rather fine with them wasting that much just to negate his GM.

If you negate GM, which allows you to Lure/PM to negate Rush Keeper, I'd hardly call that a waste if you score 4 points. And Casket and Silence are both fairly good in the match up and can pip GM as well.

But it's more likely they'll just sit the puppet next to him.