Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Scholar's Guild Forum Challenge   06/26/2017

There's a new contest running through July, to write a 1000 word short story about a rookie For more details, head to the Tales of Infamy section down below. Happy writings!  
Frostmane

Another Fun Survey! Player Power Rankings

Hi All,

If you don't remember, a couple months ago I did a survey that looked at which guilds people liked, and which people thought were powerful. I wrote a fairly long blog post about it here: http://www.guildball.zone/blog/2017/4/28/which-guild-is-your-favourite-which-is-the-best. This goes into detail about the data set and tries to draw some interesting conclusions.

I decided to put another survey together here https://goo.gl/forms/RV8JovDdBZk9wGRJ3

In essence it lists every player in the game and asks you to rate them on a scale from "well below average" to "well above average". I'm hoping to get some good data and do some interesting things with it!

I've already got some responses and done a rudimentary piece of work to determine what the "most powerful" lineups are by team. I need to figure out how to filter out multiple Union and also handle veterans, but it's already pretty amusing, at least to me.

missing1leg likes this

6 hours ago, Frostmane said:

I've already got some responses and done a rudimentary piece of work to determine what the "most powerful" lineups are by team. I need to figure out how to filter out multiple Union and also handle veterans, but it's already pretty amusing, at least to me.

Are you judging "most powerful" line up by ratings, or by ratings + not allowing certain player roles to overlap? rating "most powerful line up" is a fairly bad way to judge teams. For example, i rate Casket and Ghast both "above average" but wouldn't play both of them at the same time.

that being said, i don't think judging most powerful team by rating is going to work when most people are familiar with their own teams (ie - rate their players more accurately) but then rate models they are less familiar with as better or worse than they actually are, because they have a less nuanced view of the model

Although its an excellent judge of overall community reaction and opinion

Oh I know that this isn't going to make playable teams, I just thought it was amusing to try to construct a 6 player lineup (that doesn't account for 1 Union or Veterans) and see what that would look like.

I hesitate to publish early results because people still might want to fill this out (I'm looking at *you*), but they are interesting so far, that's for sure.

Slothrop likes this

Why are Avarisse and Greede listed separately but Memory isn't listed separately from Brain Pan?  Is there some secret tech to take Avarisse or Greede without the other that I'm not aware of?

13 minutes ago, MechMage said:

Why are Avarisse and Greede listed separately but Memory isn't listed separately from Brain Pan?  Is there some secret tech to take Avarisse or Greede without the other that I'm not aware of?

It's not worth ranking Memory or including it in the stats I was working on because it's such an outlier. Greede is less of an outlier, so I wanted to include his stats in some average calculations. Then I copied that player list into the survey and forgot to take Greede out.

Best lineup in the game in my books.

Midas, Naja, oKat, Vitriol, Compound and Harry the Hat.

1 hour ago, Dirt Rey said:

Don't see Venin in there, my friend #vengeancewinner

2 hours ago, Dirt Rey said:

You'll be unsurprised that this is, in fact, the highest scoring tournament legal lineup.

After 94 responses and altogether too much playing time spent playing with the data, I've decided to close it off for now. I've done a first pass at a writeup at some of the data here: http://www.guildball.zone/blog/2017/6/11/player-power-survey

I don't think it's especially surprising when looking at the results, but it's interesting to see what lineups you can build purely using community consensus. Obviously there are better lineups since you can't simply use consensus to find the best team, but nonetheless it's interesting to see how all the guilds rank against each other. 

Napoleon, MechMage, MarkM and 4 others like this

some of the line ups are surprisingly accurate, i would say it got Alchs and Farmers bang on the money as their ideal teams. The only one that seems to have radically diverged from an actual good team is the mason one, because running honour + brick, but not marbles and harmony is heading into madness territory.

but i think the rest of them are pretty playable/great teams. I'd run similiar +/- a player in most cases. The mortician one is pretty great most of the time too as a generalist team. 

<the engi team might be accurate too, but i have very little knowledge of ideal engineer teams, but a glance at it seems pretty decent>

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

some of the line ups are surprisingly accurate, i would say it got Alchs and Farmers bang on the money as their ideal teams. The only one that seems to have radically diverged from an actual good team is the mason one, because running honour + brick, but not marbles and harmony is heading into madness territory.

but i think the rest of them are pretty playable/great teams. I'd run similiar +/- a player in most cases. The mortician one is pretty great most of the time too as a generalist team. 

<the engi team might be accurate too, but i have very little knowledge of ideal engineer teams, but a glance at it seems pretty decent>

Masons prove they are more than the sum of their parts, but even just using somewhat fuzzy, unscientific consensus I'm really surprised how it nailed most of the starting lineups. A+G adds an odd element, but excluding them only hits the non-Harry teams which already have an uphill battle in people's minds

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I personally don't like it due to the fact that team has three 3/1 models. Either trade out harry or ballista and its ideal for most people IMO.

Echo the others and the tiers sit well. I think Midas, Naja, oKat, Harry, Vitriol and Compound is physically the best 6 you can play right now.