Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Dirt Rey

When to Hammer?

26 posts in this topic

With the new blind picking of captains, are there any guilds you would prefer Hammer overy Honour? Is Hammer even worth taking on the 10 list anymore?

I have had good results running Hammer against fish, butchers, brewers and cogs. The only time I generally avoid him is alchemists and morts. Unpredictable captains can be an absolute pain.

His best strength is the ability to ignore being pushed by a counter attack.  When you get stuck on that nail, you should look for your Hammer.**

**Apologies in advance for that terrible joke

JS and Nykolae like this

Hammer was a last minute addition to my tournament 10 at the weekend following the launch of the new OP document. I was convinced that I wasn't going to take him, then in my first game my opponent put down Corsair - it turns out that Hammer is a rather effective counter !!

44 minutes ago, LunarSol said:

When you get stuck on that nail, you should look for your Hammer.**

**Apologies in advance for that terrible joke

disgusted-mother-of-god.png

Lord Antoine likes this

I love playing Hammer against Fish and Engineers, which in tournies are going to be at least 45 percent of your matchups generally. Another 25 percent will be Alchemists, and the remainder will be everyone else.

6 minutes ago, Lord Antoine said:

I love playing Hammer against Fish and Engineers, which in tournies are going to be at least 45 percent of your matchups generally. Another 25 percent will be Alchemists, and the remainder will be everyone else.

Is this before the new Organised Play?  I guess playing Hammer against Shark Fishermen will be difficult.

2 hours ago, naiconn1981 said:

Is this before the new Organised Play?  I guess playing Hammer against Shark Fishermen will be difficult.

It's a bit of list chicken. Mind you, due to probably wanting to play Harmony with Honour, Fish also had the upper hand drafting before the current OPD. 

2 hours ago, naiconn1981 said:

Actually I said it before but i prefer and have had pretty good experience with Hammer into Shark. Fact is your not going to outfootball fish, which means going for at least a 2 takeout 2 goal game. Add to this the fact that Fish have enough dodge shenanigans to get around Countercharges and 1 inch melee. Hammer is usually pretty suited to knocking down to prevent dodges then beating down, while still having/providing additional movement and kicking to himself and the rest of the team when needed to get the job done.

2 hours ago, Lord Antoine said:

Actually I said it before but i prefer and have had pretty good experience with Hammer into Shark. Fact is your not going to outfootball fish, which means going for at least a 2 takeout 2 goal game. Add to this the fact that Fish have enough dodge shenanigans to get around Countercharges and 1 inch melee. Hammer is usually pretty suited to knocking down to prevent dodges then beating down, while still having/providing additional movement and kicking to himself and the rest of the team when needed to get the job done.

I would agree with this. I have a mixed record with Hammer vs Shark - but every game I felt that I could have won if I played better, rather than being hopelessly outclassed. It feels like a fairly even match up.

On 2017-5-19 at 11:50 PM, Jon Bucket said:

I would agree with this. I have a mixed record with Hammer vs Shark - but every game I felt that I could have won if I played better, rather than being hopelessly outclassed. It feels like a fairly even match up.

The problem with Hammer is that you get a lot of: "I could have won this if I played better". The more I play him, the more I feel that going from 6 to 5 max influence really hurts him. I did one round Corsair yesterday with him, too bad I was 8-0 down ...

On 5/18/2017 at 2:43 PM, Jon Bucket said:

Hammer was a last minute addition to my tournament 10 at the weekend following the launch of the new OP document. I was convinced that I wasn't going to take him, then in my first game my opponent put down Corsair - it turns out that Hammer is a rather effective counter !!

Any tips on how Hammer deals with Corsair well? :)

42 minutes ago, kryzak said:

It took a bit of set up, someone (let's say Mallet), had already triggered Sturdy and then Minx had snared him. So once Corsair is knocked over and Hammer has Iron Fist, it doesn't take long to remove him - once Corsair is taken out, it takes a long time for him to get back into the game.

Generally speaking Stoic and Iron Fist negate some of Corsair's tech.

3 minutes ago, Jon Bucket said:

It took a bit of set up, someone (let's say Mallet), had already triggered Sturdy and then Minx had snared him. So once Corsair is knocked over and Hammer has Iron Fist, it doesn't take long to remove him - once Corsair is taken out, it takes a long time for him to get back into the game.

Generally speaking Stoic and Iron Fist negate some of Corsair's tech.

Cool, thank you Jon!  Yeah, I figured out the stoic part, but couldn't figure out how to get into his "death trap" without losing so many dice to crowd outs.  Usually Corsair has a "V" shaped retinue all with 2" reaches, where he's at the bottom tip of the "V". 

Jon Bucket likes this

Corsaid probably won't drag Hammer in because it's too much of an investment. Corsair also struggles with Tough Hide models due to lack of tooled up. So Hammer can due some set up before going in on Corsair.

Makes sense!  Only worry I have is losing 2-3 dice from crowdouts getting to Corsair.  I guess if Corsair is snared, even a 5+4 dice charge can get to the KD.  Then after that the extra dice from Corsair <DEF 2 should easily offset the crowdouts.  

12 minutes ago, kryzak said:

Makes sense!  Only worry I have is losing 2-3 dice from crowdouts getting to Corsair.  I guess if Corsair is snared, even a 5+4 dice charge can get to the KD.  Then after that the extra dice from Corsair <DEF 2 should easily offset the crowdouts.  

You can also leave Minx engaged if you want and possibly get sone crowd outs of you own with Mallet or Tower. Tooled up from Tower also. 

40 minutes ago, kryzak said:

Wrecker can help push out some of those crowded around Corsair too.

8 minutes ago, Jon Bucket said:

Wrecker can help push out some of those crowded around Corsair too.

Got to be careful though, if he pushes a 2" model away and then walks away from them, they get a parting blow.

I guess Wrecker can bump one side away and still just stay inside the 2" reach to not get a parting blow, unless the parting blow model doesn't have KD.

9 hours ago, kryzak said:

Well, I one rounded Corsair with a Tooled up, Iron Fisted Hammer this weekend.

With Punishing March you out-threat Corsair. 

Also Hammer has a damage component on his KD so he can even get Momentum when triggering Sturdy. Use knockback to get into base to base with Corsair and a counter-attack won't even matter. Even if he can get the five hits needed for the double push, you got Stoic. Corsair can't drag Hammer because of Stoic (or has to waste 4 influence on it). 

Lord Antoine likes this

13 hours ago, HuggyTheBear said:

Well, I one rounded Corsair with a Tooled up, Iron Fisted Hammer this weekend.

With Punishing March you out-threat Corsair. 

Also Hammer has a damage component on his KD so he can even get Momentum when triggering Sturdy. Use knockback to get into base to base with Corsair and a counter-attack won't even matter. Even if he can get the five hits needed for the double push, you got Stoic. Corsair can't drag Hammer because of Stoic (or has to waste 4 influence on it). 

How do you get around the copious crowd outs of the corsair scrum?

14 minutes ago, Bisounours said:

"Knockback" is great for this

52 minutes ago, Bisounours said:

Patience? I'm not saying you should rush in to the heat of battle. But Hammer is quite flexible: thanks to his character plays he can go in early but if needed you can delay it to late in the turn. Look it's not like it's an autowin, far from it. But Hammer can pose some unique problems for Corsair.