Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Calendar   07/14/2017

The new Event Calendar is live in the toolbar! Pundits can now log their upcoming events here so everyone can see what's going on in their area. Take a look, it will fill with more new things as the days go by.
StompyStomp

GenCon Events?

92 posts in this topic
On 6/2/2017 at 1:13 PM, Plebian said:

Well, as we haven't heard anything official and the speculation seems to be "there weren't a lot of people last year" then I'm not sure what valid reason you are referring to. 

It's not that there weren't a lot of players last year, even given that this year there will probably be more. There were like three qualifiers and nationals plus side events, and IIRC they were booked solid. The problem was a bunch of those people that signed didn't show, which made the tournaments look bad both to SFG and probably to the GenCon folks in charge of events.

I mean I'd certainly think it better to have some kind of tournament there, but I don't blame SFG if they feel burned on tourneys at GenCon. 'Sides which, I'm sure there'll be plenty of other opportunities to play GB at the con, even if not for prizes.

Hello all. 

I just spoke to Rich about this, and basically, last year we sold out every tournament we put on, and on the day, got lower numbers than we would have liked. What we got a much bigger uptake on last year at Gencon was our full game demo runthroughs, and so we've expanded these, and focused on newer players at this event through working on our stand and demo ability. 

Competitive play is absolutely on our list of priorities, and we are catering for competitive gamers with events like the new Store and Regional Championships, as well as, of course, SteamCon US.

However, based on what we found last year, Gencon's focus is on newer players, and less so on competitive play. Different cons have different attitudes and priorities, and so we've shifted our focus for Gencon. 

Cheers. 

Hey, are the gencon attendees planning on getting together and playing some games?

Would love to get gaming in, just not a whole day of it

My sons and I are bringing our teams and definitely want to play. I guess we can use this thread to connect while we're there, unless someone has a better idea.

I'll be there with my fishermen and my buddy will be there with his hunters. We're definitely gonna be in the market for some pick up games over the course of the weekend.

GenCon event update: there is no update. It's still been radio silence from the GenCon folks, so I'm operating under the assumption that we're not getting table space for my tournament.

THAT SAID I'll be in the gaming hall most of the day on Friday trying to hold down some space for people to gather and play at! There's going to be Guild Ball at GenCon whether they like it or not :P

I know some Indy locals mentioned they could bring mats, that would be super handy. I'm not going to be able to bring any with me, unfortunately.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in this awesome community.

GenCon people: The tournament might not be dead after all! It still isn't listed in the catalogue, but has been assigned a location: ICC : Hall B : Yellow : 5--8. Friday 9 AM to 6 PM, 16 players.

I'll keep posting updates as I learn more.

Tickets have sold out in less than 36 hours! Anyone who wanted to play but didn't get a ticket should still come by in case of no-shows. You guys are awesome!

On 6/7/2017 at 9:13 AM, TheLieutenant said:

Gencon's focus is on newer players, and less so on competitive play. 

3 hours ago, MandalorynOranj said:

Tickets have sold out in less than 36 hours! Anyone who wanted to play but didn't get a ticket should still come by in case of no-shows. You guys are awesome!

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Thanks for stepping up MOJ!

I think it's worth pointing out that @TheLieutenant's comment was based on attendance last year - SFG ran events, people signed up and didn't show up (whatever the reason was, I'm not judging people). They also ran demos though, and people signed up and showed up. So for SFG, gencon is far more about newer players.

If everyone shows up for @MandalorynOranj's event and plays to the end without dropping, then that'll show that tournaments might be worth SFG running again. Which I hope happens (especially given the speed the tickets went), because it's great to have events going on! 

4 minutes ago, Mako said:

If everyone shows up for @MandalorynOranj's event and plays to the end without dropping, then that'll show that tournaments might be worth SFG running again. Which I hope happens (especially given the speed the tickets went), because it's great to have events going on! 

This especially. I know I signed up and will be going all 4 rounds but the rest of you better help prove SFG wrong!