Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Azreal13

Enter The Blacksmiths...

72 posts in this topic
2 hours ago, Mako said:

Then again, his artwork reminded me more of Cohen the Barbarian, so I was almost guaranteed to be just OK with the model :P 

Lol :D 

 

I'm very curious regarding the blacked-out TAC and Character play of Sledge. My guess: He has a rather low TAC value, but a character play that says that if he attacks a model after the same model has been hit by Anvil, his TAC goes bonkers high. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the Q&A session from Vengeance online at the moment? I can see the livestream from the tournament on Twitch but not sure if you can get replays there. I guess it will turn up on Youtube in a while maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DrJekyll said:

Lol :D 

 

I'm very curious regarding the blacked-out TAC and Character play of Sledge. My guess: He has a rather low TAC value, but a character play that says that if he attacks a model after the same model has been hit by Anvil, his TAC goes bonkers high. 

Yeah thinking the same.  Low TAC value on the card but a few ways to raise it up so the 7 Momentous is achievable, when working with Anvil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ADG said:

Is the Q&A session from Vengeance online at the moment? I can see the livestream from the tournament on Twitch but not sure if you can get replays there. I guess it will turn up on Youtube in a while maybe?

Click on "Videos" and you get to the archived stuff.

 

Or click here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/142980536

ADG likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Polipotent said:

They are great sculpts. The real question is when they will be released.

Gencon for a promo pre release, steamcon for general release or there abouts.. They said during the Q&A.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ik-tornado said:

Man I'd hate to hear the criticism if you guys got into my toolbox. I got a 3 pound cross peen hammer I use daily held together by 3 nails to help wedge the handle out for the head to stay on. Hard to get used to all these new worthless rubbery-fiberglassy  handled tools, especially when you use the same old beat up one so long! :P

 

Old tools are hands-down the best by a country mile! The quality of most modern tools doesn't even come close. I have a billhook made by a family run manufacturer maybe 50-100 years ago. Wouldn't use anything else. Full-fucking-stop. Of course, you need to know how to keep tools maintained well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BREW BALLS said:

The shields are a badge of office they said so possibly passed down multiple generations so could be from an archaic era they would only fix not remake them

I think the idea is that each master forges their own shield when they become a master, so they kind of reflect their own personality and fighting style...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone planning on getting blacksmiths might be interested in the TerrainCrate Kickstarter currently being run by Mantic (with seven hours left to go!)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/terraincrate-plastic-affordable-fantasy-terrain?ref=user_menu

There's a blacksmith scenery pack available for $20 that you could use for building goals or obstacles etc, including an anvil. There's also a tavern set with lots of beer barrels and various other bits and pieces that could come in handy (eg. a campsite for the hunters).

Looking forward to the official Guild Ball scenery when this comes out too, but the Mantic one looks quite nice for smaller bits and pieces.

Fomorian likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sid said:

Don't get me wrong, practicality over appearance is understandable, but wouldn't it be a requirement to have at least a flat face of the hammer (the main working surface)? Not to dig too deep into how smoothening metal surfaces reflects the amount of forging done and hence the durability.

But maybe these two (Anvil & Sledge) represent a branch of the guild which specializes in manufacturing crude steel billets that other branches work on refining later on? After all, someone has to produce all the shiny polished armor that Masons wear (compare it to the Blacksmiths' own) and all the steel parts for the Engineers works, right? ;)

As to the hammer face, no you don't want it flat.  You want it rounded.  Flat has sharper edges that create creases and thus weak spots.  One of the first things you do with a new hammer is spend a LOT of time rounding the edges.  I spent a year as an apprentice armor Smith and the hammers are dead on, rounded and well worn, not pretty.

Andrew Jones likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mako said:

Two pairs of master/apprentice and a captain/mascot pairing perhaps? The captain/mascot pair would be looser maybe so you could take any mascot, but still get some use from it. Or maybe not, and just a more skewed pairing and everyone basically gets taken in pairs.

 

But what kind of mascot suits the blacksmiths? A shire horse?

Li'l Sebastian?

Bear, Arkin, rickybobby17b and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im sort of expecting Sledge's secret play to maybe be agressive defense.  I'm hoping that his tac is just 5 though and the play is something new and better. 

Also i think i would like it  if Anvil's legendary was some sort of stoic bubble. Would make his paltry armor buff aura pretty sweet for one round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Frankanelli said:

Im sort of expecting Sledge's secret play to maybe be agressive defense.  I'm hoping that his tac is just 5 though and the play is something new and better. 

Also i think i would like it  if Anvil's legendary was some sort of stoic bubble. Would make his paltry armor buff aura pretty sweet for one round. 

It actually can't be Agressive Defense because Sledge has a GB in his playbook and no GB plays (nor any way to get one that we're aware of like Hoist does).

Whatever Sledge's play is it definitely costs both a GB or influence, as evidenced by the article saying that his Tutelage ability usually gets him that ability for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Khift said:

Whatever Sledge's play is it definitely costs both a GB or influence, as evidenced by the article saying that his Tutelage ability usually gets him that ability for free.

Thats a good point. I thought it would be pretty nice to have for free but I didnt think of the guildball symbol. Well then here's hoping he's tac 5! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what are we thinking Inf wise 1/3? I agree with the earlier statement that the Masters will probably act as batteries for the apprentices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Frankanelli said:

Thats a good point. I thought it would be pretty nice to have for free but I didnt think of the guildball symbol. Well then here's hoping he's tac 5! 

Personally I'm expecting TAC 6, with his play being GB / 2 cost "on this model's next attack double your net hits (after armor is calculated)" and of course OPT. He's still not hitting 7 net successes with that unless either his dice are super hot, or he's set up, or he's charging (but at 1/3 and 2 inf cost he can't charge with it unless he gets Tutelage).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Khift said:

(but at 1/3 and 2 inf cost he can't charge with it unless he gets Tutelage).

Are we sure he's a 1/3? I'm hoping for a 1/4 at worst. Its going to be a bummer if both master and apprentice are capped at 3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would surprise me if they didn't make something from the idea of the smaller Master hammer marking the target for the Apprentice's larger hammer. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DrJekyll said:

It would surprise me if they didn't make something from the idea of the smaller Master hammer marking the target for the Apprentice's larger hammer. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see. 

They did, though; that's what Singled Out is on Anvil. The Q&A session went into some more detail about that.

 

1 hour ago, Frankanelli said:

Are we sure he's a 1/3? I'm hoping for a 1/4 at worst. Its going to be a bummer if both master and apprentice are capped at 3. 

I've got no idea, really, I was just throwing out ways to keep what I posted at least looking balanced on paper. Depending on what that ability is I could conceivably see him anywhere from 1/1 to 1/4. We will have to wait for the actual card to see for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Khift said:

They did, though; that's what Singled Out is on Anvil. The Q&A session went into some more detail about that.

 

SO is any friendly model. We'll see, but I'd expect something particular to each specific master–apprentice relation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrJekyll said:

We'll see, but I'd expect something particular to each specific master–apprentice relation. 

We don't know what Anvil's other Character play is (not to mention his Legendary), nor what Sledge's main Character play is. They might be massively synergetic, who knows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sid said:

We don't know what Anvil's other Character play is (not to mention his Legendary), nor what Sledge's main Character play is. They might be massively synergetic, who knows. 

Yep, I'm all psyched to see what's in those black boxes :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been thinking on the Master/Apprentice and what pairings we might get.

Perhaps - Forge and Bellows.  The master being Forge while his apprentice works the bellows.  Forge getting a fire theme, while Bellows gets a push theme.

 

Anymore pairings we can think of?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a master winger specializing in ball retrieval with 2" reach and plays like Ball's Gone and Smoke Bomb and traits like Football Legend paired with an apprentice striker without an easy tackle but plays like Supershoot and traits like Cover of Darkness and Showboating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now