Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Scholar's Guild Forum Challenge   06/26/2017

There's a new contest running through July, to write a 1000 word short story about a rookie For more details, head to the Tales of Infamy section down below. Happy writings!  
Gamethyme

Icy Sponge and Taken-out Influence Questions (Season 3)

I have three related questions, which apply to Season 3.

The rules for the Maintenance Phase has a step where you "Give an Icy Sponge token to each friendly model that is currently suffering the taken-out condition," but the very next step in that same phase is "The player may return to play any friendly models which are suffering the taken-out condition." The wording is identical in both the Kick-Off book and the hardcover rulebook.

All of this happens before Influence is allocated, too.

My first question is this: 

What is the point of the Icy Sponge token? Are there character abilities that key off of that token or some other reason for putting a token on that character?

My second question:

During the End Phase, you move "all current ongoing-effects and sustain effects, but not conditions." Does this remove that Icy Sponge token? If not, how do you remove the Icy Sponge token?

My third question:

The rules spell out that models which are taken-out do not generate Influence, but taken-out models return to play before Influence is generated, so it seems to me that the only time this would be relevant is if someone chooses not to return someone who has been taken-out right away. Is there some reason not to return a taken-out figure to play that I'm missing?

1&2: The reference to the Icy Sponge token is a holdover from the older ruleset where that had a purpose. So no, Icy Sponge tokens have no real effect. 

3. Generally, no. Some abilities (like Casket Time) stop models being returned to the Pitch next turn, but there's no real reason to do so voluntarily. Again, the language here is a slight hangover from previous editions where there was a choice in whether to bring the model back on or not. 

Icy sponge tokens are an artifact of previous editions.  They have no effect on season 3 play.

A player can not suffer the taken out condition if it is already taken out.  In the rare situation that there is no safe place to return a player to the pitch, it may be better to deny your opponent an additional take out.

Some players, currently only Seenah, produce no influence.  Keeping Seenah off the pitch incurs no influence penalty and threatens Seenah returning from either edge.

6 minutes ago, TheLieutenant said:

1&2: The reference to the Icy Sponge token is a holdover from the older ruleset where that had a purpose. So no, Icy Sponge tokens have no real effect. 

3. Generally, no. Some abilities (like Casket Time) stop models being returned to the Pitch next turn, but there's no real reason to do so voluntarily. Again, the language here is a slight hangover from previous editions where there was a choice in whether to bring the model back on or not. 

1&2: That's what I'd figured.  Thank you!

3: The way I read it, there's still a choice whether to bring them in or not - the rules say "May." But from your response (and that of MechMage), it sounds like you only very rarely will choose not to return a player to the pitch.

Thank you both for your swift (and helpful) responses!

1 hour ago, Gamethyme said:

1&2: That's what I'd figured.  Thank you!

3: The way I read it, there's still a choice whether to bring them in or not - the rules say "May." But from your response (and that of MechMage), it sounds like you only very rarely will choose not to return a player to the pitch.

Thank you both for your swift (and helpful) responses!

Yeah you can still choose not to. The only reason I can think of is if your deployment zone is full of enemy beaters and there is no safe place to put them.

Or if you wanted to bring something back through creation so it would come back at full hit points ( the criqet)

For further discussion of the benefits of returning models to play or leaving them off the pitch please use the appropriate forum.

Question has been answered.