Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Siberys

Idea - Guild-Wide game-modifying abilities

This is some pie-in-the-sky thinking out loud on my part, so bear with me.

With S3, I've seen a lot of discussion to the effect that game-wide rules changes like Tap-In, the Icy Sponge Changes, et cetera, advantaged Footballing teams over Killy teams. Personally I'm fond of the changes, but then I've always preferred bally teams like Fish and Cogs, so I get why others might say it was overbalanced.

That got me thinking. What if Tap-in was a Fisherman only ability (or Fish, Cogs, and Alchs), and other Guilds got other rule-modifying benefits? If each team had a couple to select from, that could be a powerful way to reward playing to a certain strategy without the overbalancing problem. Not sure what I'd call them - Playbook would be perfect if it didn't already mean something within the game.

Anyways, imagine that the Butcher's player could opt out of Tap-In to instead gain a rule to the effect that opposing models that returned to the pitch came back on with one or two fewer hit points. That's the sort of change I'm talking about; Tap-In rewards gunning for goals. This hypothetical alternate rule would incentivize killing, and make return kills just a little bit easier. I haven't put a lot of thought into what the exact rules could be, and they'd certainly need testing, but something like this could maybe serve to allay some of the "Kicking is too good" concerns.

This ties in with the idea I've had for a while that teams could have goal models that have special rules that match the guild. E.g Hunter Goal auto snares anyone who scores a goal, Butchers puts on bleed, Engineers can kick out 14" (giant crossbow) etc. That way teams are encouraged to bring goal models (making the game look better) and you could make a choice of goal models for the guild (perhaps to represent a faction within the Guild). 

I remember in a developer interview one time they talked about making players positions more relevant.  I always sort of thought that meant things like, in the future, all wingers will charge for 1 less while within 8" of the edge of the pitch.  This sort of reminds me of those global changes and I definitely think it might be a way to add some extra character to guilds after they stop adding players.  I vaguely recall them saying guilds wouldn't get more than like 13-15 players.  Definitely a cool design space. 

I think that the guild cards are a great place for these kinds of rules. Things like alternate forms of list construction, as a totally random example

Similar to my coaches concept I floated a while ago somewhere in these forums.....not sure where (pretty sure I've mentioned it twice now). So yeah like the idea