Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Calendar   07/14/2017

The new Event Calendar is live in the toolbar! Pundits can now log their upcoming events here so everyone can see what's going on in their area. Take a look, it will fill with more new things as the days go by.
Sign in to follow this  
Replect

Solo play - I'm disappointed :-(

31 posts in this topic

Hi there,

so, by now I've done several solo runs (and with that I mean 1 character only), both normal and campaign mode and I can't help it, but with a lot of encounters I feel like there is just not much to strategize.

As said, I've done several normal runs, completed Campaign 1 (Knight) and started Campaign 2 (Assassin) in the rulebook and in several encounters, there is just not much strategy to work against the need of proper gear. At the latest against the Large Hollow Soldier or the Sentinel, if you don't have any range 1+ (for Large Hollow Soldier) or range 2+ (for Sentinel) weapon, you are just forced to block/dodge at least each time you want to do any damage since you end or begin your turn in range of them, which means you need some decent defensive gear otherwise they will take you down with only 2 of their turns (or 3-4 if you got lucky rolls or have your character tokens available). Or you have some crazy meele weapon which will bring them down in 1-2 turns before they take you down.

The single helpful strategy against those is to try to navigate them so only one is in range at the same time (if there are more) or none while you regenerate some stamina, but after all, this still doesn't matter much if a single one of them can take you down with 2 attacks in worst case. If bowmen like Greatsbowman are involved, there is basically nothing you can do apart from going in and try you have a good roll with your basic gear.

Problem the other way around is, as soon as you got such a range 1-2+ weapon and got the enemies in position, since you are the only character, you can start to kite them around the tile without any danger, until they died to your attack rolls. As soon as bowmen were taken out, this worked for me 100% of the time.

Both the need of good equipment (and if you even got a ranged weapon, you mostly can just kite them to death) and the feel that I don't have to think a lot about what I am doing after all, I don't know, just is a downer. Remember I'm talking about Solo mainly!

Since the equipment get's more important with less players I feel, as others have stated in other threads, you better get lucky with the treasure you draw.

And the other thing then: In campaign mode, since you only have to clear 1 encounter to get enough souls to buy an additional spark, you basically can never run out of lives assuming you are able to handle one of the adjacent encounters to the bonfire consistently. Which means you could grind until you got all treasure from the deck. And the moment I got such ranged weapons and got the bowmen down, I ended up short-cutting several encounters and just assumed I got them down, because it was not a question of if and how close (if I would need any character tokens), rather just how long until I've had good enough attack rolls while keeping distance and kiting them around the tile.

So, I'm not sure if I really will finish this Campaign 2 with the Assassin solo. I ended up resetting the encounters over and over and died in the process once too so far, but with the equipment here and the all or nothing for dodging, you get killed really quick and if you keep rolling blanks and ones with the starting equipment and don't even get through the armor, there is not much you can do apart from keeping distance to the meeles and try to take down the bowmen while regenerating your stamina you've used for all the dodging and then try your dice luck on the meeles again with the same issues as mentioned above. In the end I draw 1 armor with 2 dodge dice and a 1 handed-weapon with better attacks and 1 dodge, but since I needed tier 2 for 3 and tier 3 for 1 of the stats, I kept resetting the encounters and making rounds through the 3 level 1 encounter (ignoring the 2 level 2 encounter, there was just no way with the starting equipment, especially against the Greatsbowman and the dodge difficulty 2 and armor 2) and I figured I would have to do a total of 35 encounters to be able to equip these items! 28 to get enough souls from the level 1 encounters for the stats and 7 level 1 encounters to have enough souls to buy sparks, to be able to reset as often as necessary, since there are only 3 level 1 encounters and as said, there was no point in going for the level 2 encounters. I figured, nope, I won't do the same 3 level 1 encounters, each basically 11-12 times knowing that it wouldn't be much of a strategic challenge each time, but rather good dice and succeed or bad dice and probably die or making it just longer. So, I skipped that and basically assumed that I cleared those 35 encounters and increased my stats! After that I was able to handle the level 2 encounters (including one with 2 Sentinel and a Greatsbowman if I remember correctly) and that's where I am currently in Campaign 2, not sure if I actually keep going or start to play multiple characters.

Solo against bosses it really depends on the boss and the moveset how much strategy will be involved. If a boss has only moves/attacks with nearest/aggro, you mostly end up with the same criteria/requirements as above - gear check, not much strategy apart from only going in for the low damage attacks. If there at least 1 or 2 moves/attacks which don't have a specific target, these are the windows to go in, so keeping those in mind and working towards these throughout the other activations. These moments can bring back the fun and strategy to some degree solo, but as said that depends on boss and drawn behavior deck. Ornstein and Smough after heat-up, where I fought Smough in the end after Ornstein was killed, without my range 2+ weapon and an upgrade healing me for 1 at the end of each my activations, there was just no way I would have been able to do it, no matter how much strategy I would have used. Basically all behavior cards are targeted in my direction with move 1 and range 1 magical attacks including one leap for 7 magical damage, which I just can't deny at all.

So, I was just kiting him around with a distance of 3, so he moves in, doesn't hit since I'm out of range, he then was at range 2, I attack with ranged 2+ weapon, move back once again until he does his leap every 5th activation for the 7 magical damage where I usually took 5-6 damage. So, I had 5 own activations with the armor upgrade to gain 5 health until the next damage leap and 7 magical damage attackand repat a distance of 3 for all the turns where he

With all that said, please remember again I am referring to Solo mainly! The strategic part increases with each additional player from my experience, which is great and I was hoping to see in Solo too. To position everyone probably and deciding which route an enemy will take to make sure incoming damage (apart from those ranged guys who always go for the aggro no matter what) will be distributed evenly and such is great and works against the need of all that gear quite a bit in many situations. I probably will end up just playing multiple characters by myself when playing alone, since I don't see that I would miss anything here Solo which would lower that gear check and would bring back the strategy even just a bit.

Probably end up playing multiple characters when playing alone going forward or skip encounters and go for the boss directly while figuring out what gear makes sense to keep the challenge up there where strategy results in defeating it, not mainly my gear and the dice rolls...

Whoops, I guess I repeated myself sometimes and this certainly has been longer than I've planned for. I'm sorry...

TLDR: Solo(!) disappointed me after several runs (normal and Campaign) because of I feel like there is not much strategy and 90% gear check, while bad gear means you better have easy encounters with good dice rolls or you will die sooner than later, while  good gear means encounters aren't a real challenge anymore and it still come down to dice rolls, while with a weapon with range 1 or even 2+ results quite impossible to die since you can kite them all over the place while slowly (or quickly) killing them. Probably end up playing multiple characters or skipping/changing things when playing with one character only.

*sad face*

With one character options are understandably limited. There isn't much room for synergy. Juggling aggro is a big part of it. Even if I am alone, I'd rather play a couple chars at least.

i guess we ought to treat solo run as more of a challlenge run, rather than an example of normal gameplay. Which kinda makes sense, considering that solo shuts down the whole aggro dimension of the game.

As far as solo play goes I think the big joy will be playing multiple characters. I already think this will be a fine boardgame SRPG, and it's making me have warm feels remembering Shining Force thinking about playing. 

1 minute ago, AVGVSTVS said:

i guess we ought to treat solo run as more of a challlenge run, rather than an example of normal gameplay. Which kinda makes sense, considering that solo shuts down the whole aggro dimension of the game.

But is it a challenge really? That's my problem, Solo I rarely - if at all - felt that I'v succeeded because of good strategy, it always has been the gear mainly. Probably a tiny bit in boss fights, I it wasn't just because of range 2 weapon.

So, that has nothing to do with challenge then, if probably with how patient I am and willed to reset the encounters until I hopefully found the gear I'll need to succeed, but that is not the challenge I was looking for solo...

1 minute ago, Replect said:

But is it a challenge really? That's my problem, Solo I rarely - if at all - felt that I'v succeeded because of good strategy, it always has been the gear mainly. Probably a tiny bit in boss fights, I it wasn't just because of range 2 weapon.

So, that has nothing to do with challenge then, if probably with how patient I am and willed to reset the encounters until I hopefully found the gear I'll need to succeed, but that is not the challenge I was looking for solo...

Challenge of patience is still a challenge ;)

it kina reminds my of some old RPGs, where you can solo only via cheesing the content in various ways. 

1 minute ago, AVGVSTVS said:

Challenge of patience is still a challenge ;)

But not if patience is only how often I'm willing to do reset the encounters, not patience like in boss fights where I patiently wait for the right moment to attack... :)

Just now, Replect said:

But not if patience is only how often I'm willing to do reset the encounters, not patience like in boss fights where I patiently wait for the right moment to attack... :)

Heh, clearly you've never experienced the wonders of Might and Magic VI (I think?) in which you could cheese waaaay higher level dragon in the tutorial island by running in circles for about 45 minutes, plinking it from distance about 45,000 times. :P

4 minutes ago, AVGVSTVS said:

Heh, clearly you've never experienced the wonders of Might and Magic VI (I think?) in which you could cheese waaaay higher level dragon in the tutorial island by running in circles for about 45 minutes, plinking it from distance about 45,000 times. :P

You missed a prime chance to mention squatting down for 20 minutes and 400 arrows to get the drake sword!

6 minutes ago, Norintha said:

You missed a prime chance to mention squatting down for 20 minutes and 400 arrows to get the drake sword!

I... I'd never do that! *shifty eyes*:ph34r:

I understand you guys are making fun here :), but the difference is if in your scenarios it was only possible but not needed, but here it is...

2 minutes ago, Replect said:

I understand you guys are making fun here :), but the difference is if in your scenarios it was only possible but not needed, but here it is...

Well...

Speaking for Might and Magic, which is designed for party of 5 (or was it 4? I forget). Cheesing that dragon is pretty much mandatory to attempt to beat the game with a single char. 

1 hour ago, Replect said:

Probably end up playing multiple characters or skipping/changing things when playing with one character only.

*sad face*

I agree with you that the general rewarding system of the game is broken. I suggest you to houserule it a little bit, or you can look up my other post regarding build varieties and rewarding system. That should greatly reduce the pain of overgrinding. 

I mean, Yea SFG, we know certain amount of grinding is needed and acceptable, fun is also accumulated through the process of building up your character as you save up souls to level and upgrade yourself. But, the looting system really sucks which makes me think through and decided to play with my house rules.

On the other hand, I also agree that certain scenarios do make the game "unstrategizable", as you have pointed out assassin, I will use it as a convenient example, for some reason, SFG modify certain weapons with minus 1 attack value. And that really sucks. I suppose you have tasted what it feels like to stab with your Estoc against silver knight. You have to roll a four with two black dice to keep any of them while the swordsman moves 2 dots each time, the greatbowman has infinite range. It is a pure suffering. SFG should definitely think of a better modifier

Though my disappointment comes less from how long it takes to find treasure or to upgrade stats here, it's rather that I actually have to rely purely on gear solo, since there isn't any real option to reduce the necessity of the factor gear from a strategic point of view.

19 minutes ago, Replect said:

Though my disappointment comes less from how long it takes to find treasure or to upgrade stats here, it's rather that I actually have to rely purely on gear solo, since there isn't any real option to reduce the necessity of the factor gear from a strategic point of view.

True. That's why the game rule is not okay. Even though SFG seems to have been aware of that, they make the compansation on 16 more souls at start which I don't think it helps.

However, at least in some scenario I can exploit the terrain to marry go around with my enemy like attack-walk-run that keeps you at least one space farther from them.

In general, the fact that you cannot really do soul level 1 run or naked run. It's lacking something for skill-oriented player as you have stated.

i don't think the same rule set that makes the game fun and challenging for multiple characters can possibly be used to have the same impact with one character on the board. But that's ok, the rule set (aggro juggling and large treasure pool) was clearly written targeted at several characters. If that's the way the designers considered the game would be usually played then there's no huge surprise one character solos don't quite fit into it with the same fun or challenge. 

IMO the game was written for multiple characters so I can't complain too much if it doesn't work quite as well with 1 char. Instead I play single player with two or more characters and have the best possible experience. 

The only alternative would be for completely separate rules for one character runs, and who knows maybe that will come in future? But if not, enjoy it for what it is

Or maybe you should houserule it. For example, provided that you will still have a slight chance to roll enough damage to kill you enemies, it fight would take forever full of dodging and blocking, not even mention you take damage over the course of the encouter.

To solve it, you may want to:

1. Change the activation pattern of your enemy, as someone has put out that you can choose to activate one type of enemy each time. That increase your number of turns which means more stamina recovery, and fewer turns for you opponent to act.

This may help to balance solo gameplay.

Or

2. Defaultly add two dodge green dice to your character whenever you need to roll a dodge if you are wearing gears that requires a only tier 1 stat or below.

(Don't think it works on blocking, because the nature of blocking successfully really requires you to have, technically speaking, a strong body and strong armor and shield which are usually in tier 3, 4 requirements.)

I just did my first solo run earlier, I found it to be incredibly easy compared to playing with 4 people, mainly because of starting with 16 souls, it allows you to buff your two strongest stats to tier 2, and grab 4 treasures, and on top of that you are focusing all upgrades on one person, rather than 2-4, but also I did get pretty lucky, so maybe my opinion of solo will change with a couple more playthroughs, still I think its ridiculous that I didn't even die once.

I played Knight, my first and third encounters were pretty brutal, first one took my luck and hero action, third took my estus, I was really saved by the fact that my fourth treasure was an Ember, but anyways the other two encounters on my way to Gargoyle were cakewalks, the one just before Gargoyle was a cakewalk due to my fantastic new weapon. I spent all my souls on treasure, then I got the Effigy Shield and bumped up my Faith once. After a treasure chest I spent another soul on treasure and got the Claymore, I applied my Heavy Gem to it (second draw from the treasure deck) which allowed me to steamroll the rest of the game without much trouble at all. I had an encounter with two Sentinels just before Dancer, and while that was intimidating, I could easily two shot them each with my Heavy Claymore, and then I beat the dancer without much trouble either, just had to use estus.

So... I haven't really talked about this too much, but yeah. So far Solo runs haven't been amazing in my opinion.

The reason I haven't commented on it is because: 1) I feel like its mostly a case of my opinion rather than specific mechanics that bug me, and 2) not splitting the aggro has come with it's own challenges in some encounters, whereas its been an obvious benefit in others, as youve stated @Replect

However. The main reason is the same reason SFG mentioned about making solo plays more viable: Summons!

We know that we'll get a friendly AI with their own deck derping around the board, helping in some situations, possibly leaving us high and dry in others.

Have they revealed how they'll work yet? If they have, please let me know :P but what I'm imagining is they'll get their own activation, like a second player, and split the aggro, and tank hits, get mauled by the crossbow hollows, whalloped by the mushroom parents (who I bet will do 10 physical damage at zero range :p) and generally make solo plays a lot more interesting and fun.

I was kinda sad when they got delayed, as I figured they'd be integral to a fun, long solo campaign. But I'm happy to see if they swing it for me on solo plays once they arrive.

11 hours ago, Norintha said:

totally did this myself, hahah

12 minutes ago, Norintha said:

I drove the dragons off in Demon's Souls myself. 

Demon souls was too hard for me, haha. I didn't understand the game play really until dark souls, then dark souls I played all the way through. I never understood what was going on in demon souls.

13 hours ago, Replect said:

Hi there,

so, by now I've done several solo runs (and with that I mean 1 character only), both normal and campaign mode and I can't help it, but with a lot of encounters I feel like there is just not much to strategize.

As said, I've done several normal runs, completed Campaign 1 (Knight) and started Campaign 2 (Assassin) in the rulebook and in several encounters, there is just not much strategy to work against the need of proper gear. At the latest against the Large Hollow Soldier or the Sentinel, if you don't have any range 1+ (for Large Hollow Soldier) or range 2+ (for Sentinel) weapon, you are just forced to block/dodge at least each time you want to do any damage since you end or begin your turn in range of them, which means you need some decent defensive gear otherwise they will take you down with only 2 of their turns (or 3-4 if you got lucky rolls or have your character tokens available). Or you have some crazy meele weapon which will bring them down in 1-2 turns before they take you down.

The single helpful strategy against those is to try to navigate them so only one is in range at the same time (if there are more) or none while you regenerate some stamina, but after all, this still doesn't matter much if a single one of them can take you down with 2 attacks in worst case. If bowmen like Greatsbowman are involved, there is basically nothing you can do apart from going in and try you have a good roll with your basic gear.

Problem the other way around is, as soon as you got such a range 1-2+ weapon and got the enemies in position, since you are the only character, you can start to kite them around the tile without any danger, until they died to your attack rolls. As soon as bowmen were taken out, this worked for me 100% of the time.

Both the need of good equipment (and if you even got a ranged weapon, you mostly can just kite them to death) and the feel that I don't have to think a lot about what I am doing after all, I don't know, just is a downer. Remember I'm talking about Solo mainly!

Since the equipment get's more important with less players I feel, as others have stated in other threads, you better get lucky with the treasure you draw.

And the other thing then: In campaign mode, since you only have to clear 1 encounter to get enough souls to buy an additional spark, you basically can never run out of lives assuming you are able to handle one of the adjacent encounters to the bonfire consistently. Which means you could grind until you got all treasure from the deck. And the moment I got such ranged weapons and got the bowmen down, I ended up short-cutting several encounters and just assumed I got them down, because it was not a question of if and how close (if I would need any character tokens), rather just how long until I've had good enough attack rolls while keeping distance and kiting them around the tile.

So, I'm not sure if I really will finish this Campaign 2 with the Assassin solo. I ended up resetting the encounters over and over and died in the process once too so far, but with the equipment here and the all or nothing for dodging, you get killed really quick and if you keep rolling blanks and ones with the starting equipment and don't even get through the armor, there is not much you can do apart from keeping distance to the meeles and try to take down the bowmen while regenerating your stamina you've used for all the dodging and then try your dice luck on the meeles again with the same issues as mentioned above. In the end I draw 1 armor with 2 dodge dice and a 1 handed-weapon with better attacks and 1 dodge, but since I needed tier 2 for 3 and tier 3 for 1 of the stats, I kept resetting the encounters and making rounds through the 3 level 1 encounter (ignoring the 2 level 2 encounter, there was just no way with the starting equipment, especially against the Greatsbowman and the dodge difficulty 2 and armor 2) and I figured I would have to do a total of 35 encounters to be able to equip these items! 28 to get enough souls from the level 1 encounters for the stats and 7 level 1 encounters to have enough souls to buy sparks, to be able to reset as often as necessary, since there are only 3 level 1 encounters and as said, there was no point in going for the level 2 encounters. I figured, nope, I won't do the same 3 level 1 encounters, each basically 11-12 times knowing that it wouldn't be much of a strategic challenge each time, but rather good dice and succeed or bad dice and probably die or making it just longer. So, I skipped that and basically assumed that I cleared those 35 encounters and increased my stats! After that I was able to handle the level 2 encounters (including one with 2 Sentinel and a Greatsbowman if I remember correctly) and that's where I am currently in Campaign 2, not sure if I actually keep going or start to play multiple characters.

Solo against bosses it really depends on the boss and the moveset how much strategy will be involved. If a boss has only moves/attacks with nearest/aggro, you mostly end up with the same criteria/requirements as above - gear check, not much strategy apart from only going in for the low damage attacks. If there at least 1 or 2 moves/attacks which don't have a specific target, these are the windows to go in, so keeping those in mind and working towards these throughout the other activations. These moments can bring back the fun and strategy to some degree solo, but as said that depends on boss and drawn behavior deck. Ornstein and Smough after heat-up, where I fought Smough in the end after Ornstein was killed, without my range 2+ weapon and an upgrade healing me for 1 at the end of each my activations, there was just no way I would have been able to do it, no matter how much strategy I would have used. Basically all behavior cards are targeted in my direction with move 1 and range 1 magical attacks including one leap for 7 magical damage, which I just can't deny at all.

So, I was just kiting him around with a distance of 3, so he moves in, doesn't hit since I'm out of range, he then was at range 2, I attack with ranged 2+ weapon, move back once again until he does his leap every 5th activation for the 7 magical damage where I usually took 5-6 damage. So, I had 5 own activations with the armor upgrade to gain 5 health until the next damage leap and 7 magical damage attackand repat a distance of 3 for all the turns where he

With all that said, please remember again I am referring to Solo mainly! The strategic part increases with each additional player from my experience, which is great and I was hoping to see in Solo too. To position everyone probably and deciding which route an enemy will take to make sure incoming damage (apart from those ranged guys who always go for the aggro no matter what) will be distributed evenly and such is great and works against the need of all that gear quite a bit in many situations. I probably will end up just playing multiple characters by myself when playing alone, since I don't see that I would miss anything here Solo which would lower that gear check and would bring back the strategy even just a bit.

Probably end up playing multiple characters when playing alone going forward or skip encounters and go for the boss directly while figuring out what gear makes sense to keep the challenge up there where strategy results in defeating it, not mainly my gear and the dice rolls...

Whoops, I guess I repeated myself sometimes and this certainly has been longer than I've planned for. I'm sorry...

TLDR: Solo(!) disappointed me after several runs (normal and Campaign) because of I feel like there is not much strategy and 90% gear check, while bad gear means you better have easy encounters with good dice rolls or you will die sooner than later, while  good gear means encounters aren't a real challenge anymore and it still come down to dice rolls, while with a weapon with range 1 or even 2+ results quite impossible to die since you can kite them all over the place while slowly (or quickly) killing them. Probably end up playing multiple characters or skipping/changing things when playing with one character only.

*sad face*

I bet the strategies are gonna open up alot more once the summons expansion comes out.  I kind of view that as the solo friendly expansion.  I could see somethong being said for the core game having that, but alot of core games are lacking a bit when compared to mechanics the expansions introduce. 

1 hour ago, MaverickHunterLuneth said:

I just did my first solo run earlier, I found it to be incredibly easy compared to playing with 4 people, mainly because of starting with 16 souls, it allows you to buff your two strongest stats to tier 2, and grab 4 treasures, and on top of that you are focusing all upgrades on one person, rather than 2-4, but also I did get pretty lucky, so maybe my opinion of solo will change with a couple more playthroughs, still I think its ridiculous that I didn't even die once.

I played Knight, my first and third encounters were pretty brutal, first one took my luck and hero action, third took my estus, I was really saved by the fact that my fourth treasure was an Ember, but anyways the other two encounters on my way to Gargoyle were cakewalks, the one just before Gargoyle was a cakewalk due to my fantastic new weapon. I spent all my souls on treasure, then I got the Effigy Shield and bumped up my Faith once. After a treasure chest I spent another soul on treasure and got the Claymore, I applied my Heavy Gem to it (second draw from the treasure deck) which allowed me to steamroll the rest of the game without much trouble at all. I had an encounter with two Sentinels just before Dancer, and while that was intimidating, I could easily two shot them each with my Heavy Claymore, and then I beat the dancer without much trouble either, just had to use estus.

I only kinda skimmed the rules and missed the 16 starting souls thing. I started with 0 haha. No wonder it felt painfully hard.

I hope the Summons Expansion (or any of the others to come) will help in that regards. I'm happy with any expansion that will increase the factor strategy > gear/dice. I did hope the Core Game would follow this mentality (already), but my digital selfmade version I've been playing since January showed me that gear has some necessity. I didn't recognize the problems I've with the solo mode that much though because of the limited encounters in that digital version and because I mostly played with 3 characters. Same reason kind of why I didn't recognize the issues with the treasure deck because of the limited amount of treasure I had available back then.

So, as said I hope these expansions don't just bring other ways to die easily without proper gear, but actually bring in mechanics which support good strategy and lower the necessity for good gear, though I'm not sure if that will happen.

I feel that the Assassin and Herald are the worst for solo runs, basically because how much they right from the beginning rely on lucky rolls or lucky treasure, because of their bad weapon especially and to some degree armor too.

I'll see if I finish my Assassin solo run in Campaign 2 and move on with multiple chars then and hope for the better I guess.

EDIT: Looking at the campaign page again though I don't feel like any expansion really is covering the part strategy > gear/dice, if there are no not so obvious rule/mechanic changes/additions coming with these. Currently it seems mostly to be mainly characters, enemies/encounters, tiles and armor. Not sure if that in the only will only extend the areas already present, without really mixing up the game. The Summons Expansion could have the biggest impact here, but for the others... Anyway, all I can do for now is "hope" and focus less on solo character runs and hope for the better with group runs where I had more enjoyable time with my very limited digital version.

I think part of it is you grinded (ground?) so much. If you have great gear and kite  enemies of course it will be easier, much like early areas I'm Dark Souls. 

You might find more joy in playing with 2 characters as well? 

7 minutes ago, Goseki said:

I think part of it is you grinded (ground?) so much. If you have great gear and kite  enemies of course it will be easier, much like early areas I'm Dark Souls. 

You might find more joy in playing with 2 characters as well? 

Not sure if you did read my complete OP, but that is has not been my main issue here... It's the strategic part I'm missing overall solo. Kiting has just been a result of the treasure draw in that specific run of such a ranged weapon and that there aren't much options since every range 0 weapon means you'll get hit afterwards if you can't kill it right away. The only option you have solo is to try to be only in reach of one enemy instead of multiple, which only works if they are no bowmen, otherwise you are just forced to rely on gear and dice, since there is no way of denying that bowmen's attack until you got them down. Etc...