Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

TwistedCarnage

How are People Liking it so far

104 posts in this topic
On 09/05/2017 at 10:13 AM, Chadmango said:

It seems pretty balanced at the moment. At least I found it to be far more fun than the core rules. Even being tricked out with good gear still left level 3 encounters feeling challenging, and the Dancer and Londo bros fights were challenging enough without feeling like the difficulty was down to shit cards. The tiered rewards did offer a reasonable sense of risk/reward in terms of pushing forward; coupled with the double soul/half spark amount.

This was with two players: Warrior and Herald. Don't know how well it scales to number of players.

Having Andre sell titanite shards feels more in keeping with the IP.

Has someone got a link to the mod, or can explain the details of it?

I just received my copy this morning and played through a test game already.  I played the Assassin, Warrior, and Knight.  3 PC's for the fact that the main people I will play with is two friends.  What I was looking for is to test the ebb and flow of the game.  I used the Gargoyle for the easiest mini-boss to face.

Overall, I found the game itself very smooth and entertaining.  First off, I never died, although I came very close the first time I faught a sentinel, and also if I didn't kill the Gargoyle that turn, my warrior would have died.  However, I will say that the challenge of the game is very well done.  Also, for once in my life, the dice gods loved me, since my assassin never missed a dodge.  That being said, it is probably because of the equipment I ended up getting.

I still had 1 spark left that was never used, so I could have farmed more, and I only got 2 chests out of the 4 encounter cards.  While yes, my stack of unused, or unusable, cards was deep, I ended up finishing with only one starter equipment, the Assassin's shield.  By the end of the game, my assassin had 4 dodge dice and a base attack of 1 black+1, or a cost of 3 stamina for 3 black+1.  My warrior had a base attack of 2 blue and 1 black, with upgradable to 2 orange and 1 black, and blocked physical with 2 blue dice.  My knight blocked physical with 2 blue and 1 black, and attacked with 1 black and 1 blue.  

The only thing I had an issue with, was the fact that I had no magical damage and weak magical defense.  On the final run to the Gargoyle, my knight finally could block magic with 2 black.  This made the hollow crossbowman a pain in the ass.  That being said, I never died, and I chose to leave the herald out because the three of us friends usually play pretty aggressively for games like these.

Final opinion: I don't understand why people think the cost of upgrading is too steep or the amount of souls is too low.  Everything flowed very well, and the satisfaction of getting upgraded equipment made what little grind I delt with worthwhile.  Definitely a fun game and I can't wait to run campaign missions with my friends.  Also, I can't wait until phase 2 of shipping comes!  I will be interesting to see how hard the megabosses really are!

Edit: Oh yeah, took just about 3 hours to set up and finish, while looking over rules.

Ashraam and squirtis like this

I played my first solo game last night. Took me a few hours with researching rules and resetting encounters due to not doing them right. Otherwise I had a blast and can't wait to play this with my friends.

10 hours ago, KaiinRetsu said:

Final opinion: I don't understand why people think the cost of upgrading is too steep or the amount of souls is too low.  Everything flowed very well, and the satisfaction of getting upgraded equipment made what little grind I delt with worthwhile.

This seems to heavily rely on how lucky you are with your treasure draws. If you draw only upgrades before even having anything with upgrade slots and/or equipment that needs you to upgrade to tier 2 or even 3, that's the moments where it could get annoying kind of. So, this probably needs a couple more sessions, since this time the gods probably were nice to you! :)

I am very happy with the game. 

Also I dont mind the "grinding", because I dont see it that way. In the video game, when I die in a boss fight, I also have to fight my way back to the boss. Thats hiw the boardgame plays too. And I like that. 

But:

Yesterday we continued our savegame. That was a little dissapointing to me, bacause the way to the main boss and the bossfight itself were much easier than the ones with the mini boss. 

We didnt die one single time and killed the Dancer in the first try. Herald had an Armor with 2 blue and 2 black dice, blocked nearly every damage coming in. Assassin had 4 Dodge Dice. The Knight had Orange and 2 Black to Block. Only the Warrior had "just" one orange an one blue die to block. The encounters were no problem for us. And the Main Boss was way easier than the miniboss because of the good equipment. I also think the cards we had in the Dancers Deck were a bit less powerfull. He only had two card with moving to a target. The others just moved him in one direction an let him turn. In that monent he was standing in a corner not able to move out a few rounds and not able to hit anybody. I think his attacks also should have a minimum of 2 successes to Dodge. And he should have more than one card with magical attack (the card was not in our deck). Maybe we were just a good group or the Dancer and the level 3 encounters are not that dangerous as I hoped for. 

1 hour ago, Replect said:

This seems to heavily rely on how lucky you are with your treasure draws. If you draw only upgrades before even having anything with upgrade slots and/or equipment that needs you to upgrade to tier 2 or even 3, that's the moments where it could get annoying kind of. So, this probably needs a couple more sessions, since this time the gods probably were nice to you! :)

As I said, I had a lot of equipment that was not used, or not even usable with the stat lines.  I spent one soul at a time trying to find something to equip, and as soon as I found something good, I spent the souls needed to equip it.  Maybe the problem people have is that the characters don't get equipment and upgrades universally?  I played all 3 characters so I obviously had the same opinion on whether souls should be spent or not for certain thing.  By the end of the match, I have 5 stats at tier 3 and I think 3 stats at tier 2, as the equipment needed.

17 minutes ago, fabsl said:

Maybe we were just a good group or the Dancer and the level 3 encounters are not that dangerous as I hoped for. 

There are a lot of variables which affect how difficult it feels. From group play/strategy, to selected tiles and encounters, (un)luckey treasure draws, (un)lucky dice rolls, but based on your whole comment I would also consider that you just grinded too much (if your goal was not to make it too easy). Question is if someone feels like that is a negative point that you can even equip to a level where things can get trivial...

14 minutes ago, KaiinRetsu said:

As I said, I had a lot of equipment that was not used, or not even usable with the stat lines.  I spent one soul at a time trying to find something to equip, and as soon as I found something good, I spent the souls needed to equip it.  Maybe the problem people have is that the characters don't get equipment and upgrades universally?  I played all 3 characters so I obviously had the same opinion on whether souls should be spent or not for certain thing.  By the end of the match, I have 5 stats at tier 3 and I think 3 stats at tier 2, as the equipment needed.

Well, 5 stats at tier 3 and 3 stats at tier 2 results in the need of 88 souls, which with a group of 3 means you have had to at a minimum (excluding any treasure you've bought) 15 encounters, which means you would have had to rest 3 times at the bonfire. Considering you said there was 1 spark rest though that doesn't work out with a group of 3 and a total of 3 sparks, so something is off here... Anyway, considering you were only doing the mini-boss based on your comment, it sounds like you grinded more than necessary to be able to succeed. Similiar like as it sounds with @fabsl. Nothing wrong with that, as long as someone does enjoy it and doesn't mind that the game will be probably easier. :)

43 minutes ago, Replect said:

There are a lot of variables which affect how difficult it feels. From group play/strategy, to selected tiles and encounters, (un)luckey treasure draws, (un)lucky dice rolls, but based on your whole comment I would also consider that you just grinded too much (if your goal was not to make it too easy). Question is if someone feels like that is a negative point that you can even equip to a level where things can get trivial...

I dont mind that you can gear up to be nearly unbeatable. I just hoped that this cannot happen during the miniboss run. 

And I dont thibk we grinded too much. While trying to kill the mini boss:

2Sparks: cleared all 4 Encounters. Got killed by the Boss 

1 Spark: cleared 3 of the 4 encounters. Got killed by the Miniboss

0 Sparks: cleard 2 of the 4 encounters. Killed the Miniboss. 

And then came the run on the Mainboss:

2 Sparks: Cleared all of the 4 encounters. Killed the Main Boss. 

I will play again for sure and hope that my imperession is wrong. But for now it seems to me that the difficult does not increases with Mainboss and level 3 encounters. Just compared to the difficult of the Miniboss it seems not right. For now! 

For example : we had no encounters with traps, but 3 of them had treasure chests. That was really. Lucky! 

5 minutes ago, fabsl said:

I dont mind that you can gear up to be nearly unbeatable. I just hoped that this cannot happen during the miniboss run. 

And I dont thibk we grinded too much. While trying to kill the mini boss:

2Sparks: cleared all 4 Encounters. Got killed by the Boss 

1 Spark: cleared 3 of the 4 encounters. Got killed by the Miniboss

0 Sparks: cleard 2 of the 4 encounters. Killed the Miniboss. 

And then came the run on the Mainboss:

2 Sparks: Cleared all of the 4 encounters. Killed the Main Boss. 

I will play again for sure and hope that my imperession is wrong. But for now it seems to me that the difficult does not increases with Mainboss and level 3 encounters. Just compared to the difficult of the Miniboss it seems not right. For now! 

For example : we had no encounters with traps, but 3 of them had treasure chests. That was really. Lucky! 

You may want to take a look at the tiered treasure decks then. ;3

Those keep you from drawing too powerful weapons early on.

Thank you! 

But my problem is that I really really dont like house rules :unsure:

And if you draw from a big  deck, every game session is different. I like that. 

2 hours ago, fabsl said:

I am very happy with the game. 

Also I dont mind the "grinding", because I dont see it that way. In the video game, when I die in a boss fight, I also have to fight my way back to the boss. Thats hiw the boardgame plays too. And I like that. 

But:

Yesterday we continued our savegame. That was a little dissapointing to me, bacause the way to the main boss and the bossfight itself were much easier than the ones with the mini boss. 

We didnt die one single time and killed the Dancer in the first try. Herald had an Armor with 2 blue and 2 black dice, blocked nearly every damage coming in. Assassin had 4 Dodge Dice. The Knight had Orange and 2 Black to Block. Only the Warrior had "just" one orange an one blue die to block. The encounters were no problem for us. And the Main Boss was way easier than the miniboss because of the good equipment. I also think the cards we had in the Dancers Deck were a bit less powerfull. He only had two card with moving to a target. The others just moved him in one direction an let him turn. In that monent he was standing in a corner not able to move out a few rounds and not able to hit anybody. I think his attacks also should have a minimum of 2 successes to Dodge. And he should have more than one card with magical attack (the card was not in our deck). Maybe we were just a good group or the Dancer and the level 3 encounters are not that dangerous as I hoped for. 

The Dancer is a strange boss fight. I've tried it twice and the boss just feels completely apathetic towards the player. In the first encounter she just ambled around the corner of the room; in the second we got caught in her movement pattern, and took a beating. Am I right in saying there doesn't seem to be any AI cards in her deck that target aggro?

3 hours ago, fabsl said:

But my problem is that I really really dont like house rules :unsure:

I'm not generally a fan of HR's either. I used to know a guy who routinely took the Best and worst cards from his games saying they were op or useless, opting for the same bland mid-range games each time he played those. And it drove me nuts, even if I explained to him how those cards could just be countered, or how they could build a different strategy etc.

But, I really like Dark Souls and this game is awesome when it works, but there's mathematical chances that you can get stuck grinding at the start of the game before you can get items you could possibly equip, and I'm not happy to play with a ruleset where the intentional design is you can win, but get no useable rewards... So HRs it is for this one...

Visceroth, Vegomantis and Chadmango like this

I'm a bit confused by the grinding argument though. You only reset the encounters if you die, or decide to spend a spark to rest. In a 4 player game you only get 2 sparks up to the miniboss, and assuming you want to keep a spark back in case the miniboss kills you on the first attempt, you're only going to have 2 runs through the encounters before you take him on. After the miniboss you get new encounters.

So from my plays so far the opportunities to grind feel actually quite limited?

5 hours ago, Replect said:

Well, 5 stats at tier 3 and 3 stats at tier 2 results in the need of 88 souls, which with a group of 3 means you have had to at a minimum (excluding any treasure you've bought) 15 encounters, which means you would have had to rest 3 times at the bonfire. Considering you said there was 1 spark rest though that doesn't work out with a group of 3 and a total of 3 sparks, so something is off here... Anyway, considering you were only doing the mini-boss based on your comment, it sounds like you grinded more than necessary to be able to succeed. Similiar like as it sounds with @fabsl. Nothing wrong with that, as long as someone does enjoy it and doesn't mind that the game will be probably easier. :)

Ah, my bad, poor wording I guess.  I have been calling it Tier 1 through Tier 4, but it is actually Base to Tier 3!  So by the official wording, I meant Tier 2 stats, not tier 3.  Nothing was needed for maxed out stats.  Also, that means Tier 1 instead of Tier 2.  I was wondering how you thought it would be so expensive when it wasn't even 40 souls.  I think I only had 4 Tier 2 stats now that I think about it anyway, I had exactly 60 souls the way I ran it.  I really can't remember what was upgraded now.

25 minutes ago, Soul said:

I'm a bit confused by the grinding argument though. You only reset the encounters if you die, or decide to spend a spark to rest. In a 4 player game you only get 2 sparks up to the miniboss, and assuming you want to keep a spark back in case the miniboss kills you on the first attempt, you're only going to have 2 runs through the encounters before you take him on. After the miniboss you get new encounters.

So from my plays so far the opportunities to grind feel actually quite limited?

True, but in a 2-3 player game you can get starting loot aimed towards other classes, as well as end game items, and a smaller overall soul pool per clearing of the dungeon, but more sparks.

You're more likely to need to grind with fewer players with regards to the cards in the deck being expensive to level into.

Yes true - I've only played 3-4 players so far where it didn't seem to be a problem. We did have a bunch of things we couldn't use, as they needed Tier 3 stats, but we also had a bunch of things we *could* use, just from 2 rounds through encounters.

Danny likes this

I'm curious about something, for all the people that have played multiple games.

Has anyone ever permanently lost souls due to the death mechanic in this game? I have a suspicion that the way encounters are divided up with "free roam" periods between them that any reasonably smart player will almost never permanently lose souls from dying since they can always just spend them all before going back into a difficult encounter. Especially since doing so doesn't reset anything the way it would in the original games.

The problem is, I haven't come up with a solution to this that doesn't exacerbate the "grinding" complaint many players have with the game.

14 minutes ago, Ashraam said:

I'm curious about something, for all the people that have played multiple games.

Has anyone ever permanently lost souls due to the death mechanic in this game?

Not me. I died once with souls in posession and decided it was better just to spend them.

I think the mechanic is more important to campaigns though when you're saving up to level up.

Ashraam likes this

Well this is something I mentioned in another thread. After every encounter (pretty much) we just returned to the bonfire and spent the souls. We only died once and we only dropped 2 souls since we kept spending everything. And getting the souls back wasn't exactly hard....

5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Not me. I died once with souls in posession and decided it was better just to spend them.

I think the mechanic is more important to campaigns though when you're saving up to level up.

You're probably right about that.

7 minutes ago, Soul said:

Well this is something I mentioned in another thread. After every encounter (pretty much) we just returned to the bonfire and spent the souls. We only died once and we only dropped 2 souls since we kept spending everything. And getting the souls back wasn't exactly hard....

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I haven't gotten to play yet, but it seemed like losses would be minimal if they happen at all.

The video game has you dying a lot. However the board game really limits how many times you will actually die. On a 4 player game 3 deaths and it's game over. Which doesn't feel like the video game so much.....

Now this might be a perfectly reasonably trade off to another medium, just *feels* a bit odd. I thought you'd die more often and encounters would reset more often, to match the feel of the video game. However that might have made the board game less fun and take longer to play. We spent 3 hours completing the mini boss last night (though I was the only person that had played it before).

After 5 games, 4 solo and one 2 player, I have to say the play time is a total lie. Expect 4-5 hours, not 2, and that's with double souls to reduce the grind. I don't know how it's even physically possible to play to the boss in 90 minutes, unless your players are tag teaming to have one rolling, one moving pieces, and one taking their turn, and nobody ever disagrees on who should get the souls (yeah right).

The grind is also completely ridiculous, and goes against the spirit of Dark Souls, which is not a game about grinding at all. It shows disrespect to the player's time and shows off the worst part of the game, fighting basic guys with basic weapons, until your friends get bored.

Spelling errors are also embarrassing. I'll spell check your content for free!

That being said, the boss fights are super fun. The variety is good, and the balance is quite close to fair (Silver Knights are undervalued in the encounter deck). I'm excited to play more, but I shouldn't have to house rule a game just to make it take less than six hours.

Vegomantis likes this