Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

TwistedCarnage

How are People Liking it so far

104 posts in this topic

Played about two hours last night with my brother and we managed to take down the gargoyle. Earlier today I tired my hand at a single player campaign, which didn't end too well.

So far I enjoyed the game. Finding ways to exploit the enemy AI is a vital part of staying alive and adds some tactical depth.

Though I disliked the idea of grinding at first, it sometimes is neccessary, but it does cost sparks, so you can't just grind into infinity. But on the other hand, depending on the encounter, it can feel a bit like a drag, especially the level 1 encounters can most often just be skipped when grinding, since there is almost no chance in failing.

This is also where the dice rolling comes in handy, because once you figured out the best way to position yourself and move your enemies, it's up to the dice to decide the next action, since if you fudge up a roll you can forget whatever you have planned for your next action.

The models are nice and I'm currently getting rid of some mold lines to get them ready to be primed and painted.

The translation is where I've got my most gripes, still, but I've talked about it enough I think. Really disappointed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-5-3 at 11:26 PM, Danny said:

I REALLY enjoy the combat, which is the meat of the game. And whilst I do feel a rule should be tweaked with loot, as although unlikely, it IS possible your first 10 loot cards will also require 12 or more souls before you can use any of it, and knowing that's a risk that can delay getting into mini boss encounters takes the fun away from me a bit, that is one criticism of a mechanic that only effects how fast you progress right at the beginning. (Edit: and this is only sometimes)

 

Beyond that criticism, the game is great. It looks like Dark Souls, the combat FEELS like Dark Souls, stamina management feels like dark souls. The enemies pack the kinds of punches, tank the kinds of hits, and encourage you to use the kinds of risks or patient strategies that Dark Souls does. And the possible initial grind is in no way game breaking, its just something I want to lower the possibility of.

 

Replect likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ragnara said:

Played about two hours last night with my brother and we managed to take down the gargoyle. Earlier today I tired my hand at a single player campaign, which didn't end too well.

So far I enjoyed the game. Finding ways to exploit the enemy AI is a vital part of staying alive and adds some tactical depth.

Though I disliked the idea of grinding at first, it sometimes is neccessary, but it does cost sparks, so you can't just grind into infinity. But on the other hand, depending on the encounter, it can feel a bit like a drag, especially the level 1 encounters can most often just be skipped when grinding, since there is almost no chance in failing.

This is also where the dice rolling comes in handy, because once you figured out the best way to position yourself and move your enemies, it's up to the dice to decide the next action, since if you fudge up a roll you can forget whatever you have planned for your next action.

The models are nice and I'm currently getting rid of some mold lines to get them ready to be primed and painted.

The translation is where I've got my most gripes, still, but I've talked about it enough I think. Really disappointed.

 

From my experience, once you grind enough, meaning that you got a good weapon and armor, and enough stats to use them, you should be fighting the boss instead of grinding anymore. 

After boss fight, presuming it's not you last one to face, you then start fight higher level encounter. So I don't see your point being needed to intentionally skip an encounter because it's easy (it's rather because you are strong enough to move on)

 

btw just tried drawing new encounter card each time I reset, it does provide a better loot drop from chests and it's not feeling OP for the time you will have to invest into.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in good shape now, I top deck dragon tooth as my first draw after section 1 of the campaign, now I am on my way to Titanite demon. 

Love this runBF0990D4-50EF-47EE-ABC4-75272E6B2D2D-9132-000017B656C0942E.thumb.jpeg.7402340ca2096b24371589887172a8f2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Diamond Souls said:

From my experience, once you grind enough, meaning that you got a good weapon and armor, and enough stats to use them, you should be fighting the boss instead of grinding anymore. 

After boss fight, presuming it's not you last one to face, you then start fight higher level encounter. So I don't see your point being needed to intentionally skip an encounter because it's easy (it's rather because you are strong enough to move on)

 

btw just tried drawing new encounter card each time I reset, it does provide a better loot drop from chests and it's not feeling OP for the time you will have to invest into.

My point was, that I had cards I couldn't use because my stats were too low, but the encounters I had to face to get souls were so simple, there was no way I could lose, partially because of the way I exploited the AI, the placement of the terrain and how I placed the tile itself on the field in that instance (CC hollows couldn't get to me until after I've dealt with the ranged hollows).

The level 2 encounter however was brutal, so brutal that I wanted to either draw cards I could use or level up enough to use the ones I already got.

Which led to repeatedly facing those easy encounters.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah there's a point at which you can become strong enough/knowledgeable that you don't have any issues with some encounters but you're still not strong enough to beat other encounters/the boss. So it can feel a little tedious playing out an encounter that provides no challenge anymore just to get enough souls to become strong enough to succeed where you've previously failed. I think it's fine to skip encounters that have become super easy and just take the souls if you want to save some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Diamond Souls said:

I am in good shape now, I top deck dragon tooth as my first draw after section 1 of the campaign, now I am on my way to Titanite demon. 

Love this runBF0990D4-50EF-47EE-ABC4-75272E6B2D2D-9132-000017B656C0942E.thumb.jpeg.7402340ca2096b24371589887172a8f2.jpeg

Am I being silly but it looks like your dragon tooth requires 37 strength and you only have 32? Are you cheating mr?

ricoratso and Gervill Froad like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Cyberfizz said:

Am I being silly but it looks like your dragon tooth requires 37 strength and you only have 32? Are you cheating mr?

Edit: campaign mode. Never mind!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Danny said:

Edit: campaign mode. Never mind!

No it actually matters, I was shocked when I finally notice that in the fight with Smough and Ornstein.

I just want to re-do the campaign again😭

 

Final result,

I should have know either Smough and Ornstein only do magical damage after heated up. As a 3 blue dice physical moving shield. I died immediately after Ornstein's transformation.

Damn, and its way too late to change my gear, Most of them are recycled into souls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my copy today and only had the time to go through to the mini-boss (chose Gargoyle). It was a solo run with the Warrior, so I started with some gear. Most of it was junk I couldn't or didn't want to use. I did pull the Sunset Armor though, which I was able to level up enough to equip. That made the initial battles easier. Gear wise, I then pulled the Greataxe, but I didn't have enough Dex to equip it. So I had to rest to grind for 2 more souls to level up. I would have had enough going through the level 2 encounter, but the 2 crossbowmen(plus friends) that spawned on it absolutely destroyed me. So I had to go through one encounter for a 3rd time. I can see where Ragnara is coming from because I beat that encounter the same way each time by exploiting the AI. Though I suppose that really is the point, and feels exactly like how you approach encounters in the video games. Anyway, once I knew what was going to happen in the level 2 encounter, I was able to adjust my strategy to get through it. So I equipped my Greataxe and whooped the Gargoyle's butt. Though I did need to use my Estus to save myself from death about 2/3rds of the way through the battle. So it's not like the battle was a cake walk.

From my initial playing, I'm in agreement with Danny, everything feels like Dark Souls. Which is exactly what I was hoping for. Despite any other gameplay issues people may have (loot drops being the main one I'm seeing), I think SFG deserve a lot of credit for being able to translate the feel of the games successfully. As for the loot, my pulls were pretty good. However, I don't mind the randomness of it, because if you did a steady progression like the video games, you'd wind up having same-y games as a result. So like others on the board have said, strategy needs to be adjusted to account for what you have and can do. Though I do understand better equipment is necessary to advance in the later encounters. But sometimes you just can't beat something, and that's okay with me. I don't need to win every time, even if it is due to not being able to get stronger loot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diamond Souls said:

No it actually matters, I was shocked when I finally notice that in the fight with Smough and Ornstein.

I just want to re-do the campaign again😭.

My comment was about how legendaries shouldn't be in the deck before you kill the titanite demon, but ofc it's campaign mode, so they'd be there after the Gargoyles. That's why I edited my post :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game arrived yesterday and we immediately started playing.

The Borreal Knight was our first Miniboss but we didn't even make it to his encounter. We played the first two lvl 1 encounters and then got totally wrecked by the Sentinel.

The second run we just got beaten once by the Winged Knight and after that we straight went through and beat the shit out of the Dancer.

We love this game, it's awesome!

Cyrano, Danny and Cyberfizz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Danny said:

My comment was about how legendaries shouldn't be in the deck before you kill the titanite demon, but ofc it's campaign mode, so they'd be there after the Gargoyles. That's why I edited my post :)

Thanks for clarifying @Danny as i thought i was missing all sorts of campaign rules!

Danny likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really looking to try out the campaign, but first I wanna get some smaller games under my belt - today, hopefully

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got it yesterday, and had a blast playing it with my friends.
We made it really far before our first death, killed Gargoyle, and went through all the encounters before Dancer, and decided to spend a spark to grind a bit so I could get the souls to wield something better since I (The Knight) was not dealing much damage at all with my starting Longsword, that and we were also pretty beat from one of the level 3 encounters (Knight was out of Estus, and Warrior was out of Estus and Luck) and all 4 of us had embers that we didn't want to lose, but we did lose them, when we finally died for the first time in a level 3 encounter, and since it was 1AM we decided to take a rest in real life and we'll be getting back to it once my friends wake up.

Only real problem we've had with the game is the treasure deck which is extremely painful to sift through and just keep finding all this powerful stuff that no one can use, and more importantly, nothing I could use, since I was the only one lagging behind in damage. After we used a spark on our own, we decided to house rule in selling treasures (5 treasures = 1 soul) and we got back 7 souls... Which still turned up with no reasonable weapon for me to use without having to boost 2-3 stats to tier 2 and 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played three games so far; and my feelings are a little mixed at present.

love the combat, encounters and boss fights. But player progression is poorly implemented at the moment. No real incentive to push for tier 2 encounters as they give the same amount of souls, and there's less chance of treasure chests. Low soul rewards means long play time and repetitive grind, which quickly drains the fun. 

Have since tried the increased soul reward, less sparks and this made the time more manageable, but loot and progress incentive was still not quite right. Have also tried the variant on bgg with tiered treasure and increased souls for higher tier encounters. This played better; but low soul rewards meant the perceived grind still chipped away at the fun. Going to try again with the tiered treasure and soul reward but with double souls and half sparks.

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chadmango said:

Played three games so far; and my feelings are a little mixed at present.

love the combat, encounters and boss fights. But player progression is poorly implemented at the moment. No real incentive to push for tier 2 encounters as they give the same amount of souls, and there's less chance of treasure chests. Low soul rewards means long play time and repetitive grind, which quickly drains the fun. 

Have since tried the increased soul reward, less sparks and this made the time more manageable, but loot and progress incentive was still not quite right. Have also tried the variant on bgg with tiered treasure and increased souls for higher tier encounters. This played better; but low soul rewards meant the perceived grind still chipped away at the fun. Going to try again with the tiered treasure and soul reward but with double souls and half sparks.

  

 

Try this:)

2. The rules of drawing treasures in both modes of the game are not ok because many a time, players suffer from leveling too little until they finally find useful gears. With that in mind, players also suffer when they are out of luck finding no chests or  facing difficult encounter for just 2 souls per player in return.

Solution:

I suggest that in normal run through, player spend 1 soul for each draw and will have to choose one card from two, the remaining one stays on board and will be paired up with another treasure card when you pay a soul to draw next time. Alternatively, you can also choose to immediately discard it, so that your next soul spent comes in two new treasure cards.

In campaign mode, I suggest players still pay for 2 souls per draw and can trade back each for one soul, but there will be 3 cards for you to choose, the remaining 2 goes directly into the bottom of the treasure deck. So that your drawing will be much efficiently improved. 

And remember: you shuffle the whole deck every time you defeat a boss.

For encounter reward in both modes, the rewards now differ according to the level of them:

level 1: 2 souls per player

level 2: 3 souls per player

level 3: 4 souls per player

You will know why to skip an encounter when you realize that a level 3 with 2 sentinels awards you just the same as a level 1 with three hollow soldiers.

 For boss battle in both modes, try this:

Defeating the boss will grant you:

[number of sparks x (sum of level of defeated encounters in this spark - number of encounter tiles)]

For example, if you beat 4 tiles in 1:2:2:2

and with 3 sparks left (btw remember that you can purchase spark in campaign mode for 2 souls)

Defeating the boss will grant you: [3 x (7-4)] = 9 souls

This actually makes sense as a matter of fact the encounter difficulty is already shown on the boss card/rule book, so you don't have to evaluate how much this boss worths. At the same time, the boss treasure cards may not always be what you are looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After unpacking the game I dove in yesterday. I started a solo game with the assassin. I first did 6 lvl 1 encounter tiles then reset to the gargoyle encounters us 2 more level 1s. Everything went well, with enough souls to level up and enough equippable loot to keep me on par with my enemies. My biggest difficulty was balancing evade dice vs weapons strong enough to hit things. I eventually looted soul stream and life changed for the better. I went through the winged knight set after gargoyle, but since the gargoyle loot was all high str stuff w/o dodge I couldn't use it. Ended up losing to the winged knight but everything felt right.

 

Today I brought the gf into it. She a knight and myself a warrior. We decided to do the gargoyle again with just the 2 extra lvl 1 encounters. And died on the first tile. Started over. Died on the second tile. Started over where I switched to assassin. We made it to but died on the gargoyle with neither of us really upgrading any gear. I had soul arrow I think, and she had a better armor buotherwise base gear and it just wasn't enough. Seems like the treasure store or more souls per encounter is needed.

Maybe if you get 16 to start solo you can get 12 for 2, 8 for 3 and 4 for 4 players it would be enough of a jumping off point. In campaign the rules are probably fine as they are, but I feel I'm not getting far enough into the basic treasure deck in a stand alone game to be geared up for the mini boss/boss with the standard rules. I'm not sure what I want to do about souls gained yet.

I think I'll pull out the weapon mods from the core loot deck and have Andre sell them separately for a couple souls. Looting them early isn't helping us progress and maybe that plus a draw 2 pick 1 will be enough to move things along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think putting titanite shards as a separate purchasable item is a good idea. Was considering this as I realised I hadn't drawn any as I moved to the main boss fight. Would have been a help against the Anor Londo bros, as even my good gear was struggling to make a dent in them. 

The system for gaining loot really needs to be reworked. Considering how balanced and precise the rest of the game systems feel, it's a bit rubbish that a chunk of the difficulty should be down to a random card draw.

Diamond Souls likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-5-6 at 3:34 PM, Chadmango said:

 Have also tried the variant on bgg with tiered treasure and increased souls for higher tier encounters. 

Somebody's already posted a mod on there? I was hoping mine would be first when I've done a few more playtests :(

 

I wonder if they have playtested it much, done some statistics, or just come up with an idea and posted it... (Tbh, its been a couple of weeks now so people have had time to do some more tests than I've had time to!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Danny said:

Somebody's already posted a mod on there? I was hoping mine would be first when I've done a few more playtests :(

 

I wonder if they have playtested it much, done some statistics, or just come up with an idea and posted it... (Tbh, its been a couple of weeks now so people have had time to do some more tests than I've had time to!)

It seems pretty balanced at the moment. At least I found it to be far more fun than the core rules. Even being tricked out with good gear still left level 3 encounters feeling challenging, and the Dancer and Londo bros fights were challenging enough without feeling like the difficulty was down to shit cards. The tiered rewards did offer a reasonable sense of risk/reward in terms of pushing forward; coupled with the double soul/half spark amount.

This was with two players: Warrior and Herald. Don't know how well it scales to number of players.

Having Andre sell titanite shards feels more in keeping with the IP.

Vegomantis likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer is easy, Dark Souls is not a good board game. :( If you have a look at this forum, you read things like home rules, more souls, better itemcard decks (beginner, advanced), to much grinding, to much drop luck, unbalanced single player and so on. Everyone built his own rules to make Darks Souls better, but this was Steamforged job! Do not get me wrong, the game can be great, i have been playing about 15 hours, but it is very very unpolished in his core mechanics.

I have about +200 board games and Dark Souls is one of the most expensive games, but at the same time one of the most unpolished. No one buy Guild Ball and edit his captain playbook, no one buy Mage Wars and make house rules - sorry steamforged, but actually you can do it better.

Without house rules 5/10, with house rules... 7/10 maybe in the future 9/10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vegomantis said:

Do not get me wrong, the game can be great, i have been playing about 15 hours, but it is very very unpolished in his core mechanics.

This was my reaction as well. It's got some interesting things in it, and when it works it comes together decently well, but it really felt like it needed some more time in the oven. It just doesn't feel done; it's still all doughy in the middle... And then you look at the box that says 60 to 90 minute playtime and you realize that you've been playing for four hours...

Vegomantis and Diamond Souls like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now