Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Calendar   07/14/2017

The new Event Calendar is live in the toolbar! Pundits can now log their upcoming events here so everyone can see what's going on in their area. Take a look, it will fill with more new things as the days go by.

Greetings forum-ites! I am back with another game play commentary for my series Run the Length. This one is against Pat VanValue from Strictly the worst. Can I break my losing streak vs the Strictly the Worst guys find out below. Let me know what you guys thought about the game and tell me about my mistakes in the comments. Go subscribe over on Youtube if you want to know when new content gets put up and while you are over there hit the like button it helps the channel a lot.

The Plugs:

Strictly the Worst Guild Ball Podcast: http://strictlytheworst.libsyn.com/
Game was filmed at Grognard Games in Hoffman Estates. Their Website can be found here: http://grognardgames.com/
Follow me on Twitter: @TheCurkov https://mobile.twitter.com/thecurkov
Pat's Twitter: @PatVanV https://twitter.com/PatVanV

Hey, I wanted you to know that I really appreciate the work you put into these. Condensing a full game down to ~20 min with commentary is an incredible resource!

I like the format. I also really like the insights given and how you analyse your play pointing out mistakes and why you make the decisions that you do.

I would like to suggest however that maybe there could be a segment where you opponent talks about the game and any mistakes they think that they made or explain their thought process. If your worried about making the video longer, maybe it could be a separate video.

5 hours ago, Dracilic said:

I would like to suggest however that maybe there could be a segment where you opponent talks about the game and any mistakes they think that they made or explain their thought process. If your worried about making the video longer, maybe it could be a separate video.

I was just gonna suggest a similar idea! Maybe ask your opponent for a quick summary of their thoughts on the game and read it out at the end of the video, just 60 seconds or whatever. Longer thoughts could work too for sure. 

@VanV I'd give a listen to a counterpoint play-by-play done in the same time frame as the video but released on your Podcast feed.  Even one where Jordan picks apart your play, lol.  I've heard @TheCurkov's viewpoint and I love the way he distills the game into a short video. I'd like to hear your perspective.

11 hours ago, Dracilic said:

I like the format. I also really like the insights given and how you analyse your play pointing out mistakes and why you make the decisions that you do.

I've been milling this idea around in my head head for awhile. But the logistics of it are difficult. 

3 hours ago, dtjunkie19 said:

That lineup into Midas has me triggered, lol.

Good game, thanks for the video! Keep up the good work. 

I think it's fine I would have played colossus instead of velocity but @VanV 's favorite robot is velocity. 

5 minutes ago, blueboyzcaptain said:

Was ballista in cover when you declared hidden damage?

Yeah flask had placed a cloud on him an activation or two before. 

9 minutes ago, blueboyzcaptain said:

Was ballista in cover when you declared hidden damage?

Flask came to him to put Smoke Cloud an activation before Vitriol.

15 hours ago, TheCurkov said:

I think it's fine I would have played colossus instead of velocity but @VanV 's favorite robot is velocity. 

It's not strictly the worst...

;)

Against alchemists, not really having much of a realistic threat into midas to keep him honest seems like a mistake. I probably would have swapped rachet, mother and hoist for compound, mainspring (if running double mascot,as I have been in doing) and colossus. I'm not a fan of the ranged CP team into alchemists because of all of that high Def. Dropping velocity for colossus would also have been another option that would have helped Pat in this matchup. 

2 hours ago, dtjunkie19 said:

Against alchemists, not really having much of a realistic threat into midas to keep him honest seems like a mistake. I probably would have swapped rachet, mother and hoist for compound, mainspring (if running double mascot,as I have been in doing) and colossus. I'm not a fan of the ranged CP team into alchemists because of all of that high Def. Dropping velocity for colossus would also have been another option that would have helped Pat in this matchup. 

Agree, I should have played Colossus, was my first game into alchs with engineers so I was still finding my footing in terms of lineup. Still not convinced I would drop Ratchet, tooled up + his heroic feel too important. I may be looking at the matchup the wrong way though, I don't think engineers can out score Midas + Vitriol so having tooled up + free charge feels quit helpful in winning the fight against Harry + Kat.

Rachet is definitely a great model. Tooled up and heroic is huge for the engineer fighting game. I think you may be underestimating the engineers scoring game somewhat. Consider ballista basically a pocket midgame/endgame goal. Between velocity, hoist, colossus you have 3 decent to great strikers that just need to find two other goals. Between all of the 2 inch melee and ranged options the engineers can have access too, I think there is game to keeping midas threatened to minimize and control his threat on goal. Even without rachet though, Ive found that between ballista, harry and colossus you can grab 2 opportunistic takeouts if needed. 

The rachet, mother, hoist based engineers setup is definitely good. There is definitely more flexibility within the team than that, and I think that utilizing that flexibility and the fact that th ey have so many good options is the key to unlocking their competitive potential.