Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

32 posts in this topic

@Stricknine47 Please read the Enemy Movement section step by step and it should be clear.

The short answer is: No, it won't skip it's turn just because you are on its node at their start of movement... :)

@Replect

With your permission, I've taken the liberty of creating a PDF of your FAQ for people that may want to print it for use. I've made some very minor formatting changes to reduce the page count just a tad.

If for some reason you don't want this posted let me know and I'll remove it.

Dark Souls FAQ.pdf

scifidownbeat likes this

@Ashraam Hehe, I don't feel like I "own" this, so, feel free to publicize it! Probably a good idea, considering that there will be less and less updates necessary, assuming that the most common questions have been able to be clarified here in the last weeks...

22 minutes ago, Replect said:

Hehe, I don't feel like I "own" this, so, feel free to publicize it! Probably a good idea, considering that there will be less and less updates necessary, assuming that the most common questions have been able to be clarified here in the last weeks...

Still, you went to all the trouble to put it together. I just didn't want to step on toes.  :)

Replect likes this

On 5/13/2017 at 5:26 PM, Replect said:

@Stricknine47 Please read the Enemy Movement section step by step and it should be clear.

The short answer is: No, it won't skip it's turn just because you are on its node at their start of movement... :)

I'm not 100% sure it's clear and ran into this exact scenario last night with the Large Hollow Soldier (first time playing the game). There were a couple of ways we figured we could resolve it.

Assumption: the Large Hollow Soldier targets the closest player character when moving prior to making its move. This includes characters that currently share its node.

The way the rules read, it seems it would go like this:

1. LHS activates and chooses its closest target - in this case, a character that shares its node.
  2. LHS moves towards the closest character.
  3. However, the rules state that if the target already shares the enemy's node, the enemy does not move. Thus, LHS does not move.
  4. Because there was no movement, there is no push and thus no attack. Since LHS has no other actions, he is done.

Note that this is not how we played it, because while the rules read that way it didn't feel like it would be so easy to neuter a higher strength enemy. We played it that LHS activated, targeted the closest character sharing his node, moved 0, pushed and resolved push attack. The way the rules read, though, it would seem like if we played this way that LHS would still not move but would resolve a push - but as we began LHS' activation on the same node, the push attack would not resolve.

Confused, for sure.

-----

Another, unrelated question. When we played last night, we may have been resolving enemy activations incorrectly owing to past experience with cooperative board games like Zombicide. When an enemy initiative level activates (e.g., Hollow Soldiers), does each model fully resolve their entire activation (move + attack) before moving onto the next model, or do you resolve the enemies at the same time because they are the same stat card? For example, I am facing two Soldiers. Does one Soldier activate, move, and attack before the next Soldier activates, moves, and attacks? Or do both Soldiers activate, both move, and then both attack?

@Hashmal

I wrote an example a few days back the covers the LHS. Quoted here: 

Example:

You and another player are on a node with an enemy that has Push Movement. It's the enemy's turn to activate. This would be the sequence:

1. Determine which player is the target for the enemy. (Nearest or Aggro)
  2. Push all players off of the node with the enemy.
  3. Enemy now moves towards the node of the target determined in Step 1.
  4. Push any players that are in any nodes the enemy enters. (Repeat steps 3 & 4 until the enemy has no movement remaining.)
  5. Resolve any other attacks the enemy may have.

Note that if the enemy also has Push Attacks (Large Hollow Soldier, for example) that damage would be resolved during Step 4. This is when you would have to Block or Dodge to avoid the damage. Push Attacks ONLY do damage when the enemy ENTERS your node. If you start in the same node you don't have to worry about the Push Attack damage, yet.

Steps 1-5 above are the same for every enemy that has Push Movement, regardless of how far they move. If they can move 3 spaces they will push every player they encounter on every node, including the one where they start. This is why it's important to choose the Target before you begin moving, so you'll know which direction to keep moving the enemy. If the enemy also has Push Attack, he'll do damage each time he ENTERS a node with a player, even if it's not the target player.

For your other question, enemies resolve their turns in sequence, completing their full turn before moving to the next model. When multiples have the same Threat level you can choose their activation order, even to your benefit.

1 hour ago, Hashmal said:

I'm not 100% sure it's clear and ran into this exact scenario last night with the Large Hollow Soldier (first time playing the game). There were a couple of ways we figured we could resolve it.

Assumption: the Large Hollow Soldier targets the closest player character when moving prior to making its move. This includes characters that currently share its node.

The way the rules read, it seems it would go like this:

1. LHS activates and chooses its closest target - in this case, a character that shares its node.
  2. LHS moves towards the closest character.
  3. However, the rules state that if the target already shares the enemy's node, the enemy does not move. Thus, LHS does not move.
  4. Because there was no movement, there is no push and thus no attack. Since LHS has no other actions, he is done.

Note that this is not how we played it, because while the rules read that way it didn't feel like it would be so easy to neuter a higher strength enemy. We played it that LHS activated, targeted the closest character sharing his node, moved 0, pushed and resolved push attack. The way the rules read, though, it would seem like if we played this way that LHS would still not move but would resolve a push - but as we began LHS' activation on the same node, the push attack would not resolve.

Confused, for sure.

-----

Another, unrelated question. When we played last night, we may have been resolving enemy activations incorrectly owing to past experience with cooperative board games like Zombicide. When an enemy initiative level activates (e.g., Hollow Soldiers), does each model fully resolve their entire activation (move + attack) before moving onto the next model, or do you resolve the enemies at the same time because they are the same stat card? For example, I am facing two Soldiers. Does one Soldier activate, move, and attack before the next Soldier activates, moves, and attacks? Or do both Soldiers activate, both move, and then both attack?

For your LHS issue, the way all pushes work on movement is that after the enemy with push movement has chosen their target for the move, there is a forced push of all players on the same node as the pushing enemy.  This push is caused by the game's rules, not the enemy's action, thus regardless of if the enemy's push deals damage, this forced push causes no damage.  Only after this push to clear the enemy's node has been resolved does the enemy move on to resolve his movement action.

As far as your question about activation order.  I'll mention just in case for some reason you weren't aware, all enemy's have a threat level.  The enemy's with the highest threat level take their turn before those with a lower threat.  In the case of enemy's with equal threat(Usually always enemy's of the same type), you may resolve them in any order you choose.  The enemy resolves their ENTIRE behavior though before moving on to the next enemy.