Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Calendar   07/14/2017

The new Event Calendar is live in the toolbar! Pundits can now log their upcoming events here so everyone can see what's going on in their area. Take a look, it will fill with more new things as the days go by.
Cyberfizz

House rules ideas

71 posts in this topic

I've played a couple times now and have started coming up with my own house rules as well. The biggest issue I've run into is game time. The game takes quite a bit of time and really only gets longer as more players are added. A single play-through seems to be the perfect amount of time and this allows for a death or two as well without game time going excessively over. So the goal below is to allow players plenty of options and power and be able to complete a Main-Boss in a single play-through without being required to spend Sparks to replay encounters.

• Each player starts with 2 souls to add towards the soul pool and can bump up 2 stats to tier 1.
  • Reduce Sparks by half (rounded down).
  • Level 1 Encounters grant 3 souls per player.
  • Level 2 Encounters grant 4 souls per player.
  • Level 3 Encounters grant 5 souls per player.
  • Mini-Boss grants 5 souls per player.
  • Main-Boss grants 6 souls per player.
  • 2 items can be sold for 1 soul. (I haven't gotten to test this one out yet)

We had a few close calls at all encounter levels using these rules, but the game felt challenging but beatable in a reasonable amount of time.

14 hours ago, Regabond said:

I've played a couple times now and have started coming up with my own house rules as well. The biggest issue I've run into is game time. The game takes quite a bit of time and really only gets longer as more players are added. A single play-through seems to be the perfect amount of time and this allows for a death or two as well without game time going excessively over. So the goal below is to allow players plenty of options and power and be able to complete a Main-Boss in a single play-through without being required to spend Sparks to replay encounters.

• Each player starts with 2 souls to add towards the soul pool and can bump up 2 stats to tier 1.
  • Reduce Sparks by half (rounded down).
  • Level 1 Encounters grant 3 souls per player.
  • Level 2 Encounters grant 4 souls per player.
  • Level 3 Encounters grant 5 souls per player.
  • Mini-Boss grants 5 souls per player.
  • Main-Boss grants 6 souls per player.
  • 2 items can be sold for 1 soul. (I haven't gotten to test this one out yet)

We had a few close calls at all encounter levels using these rules, but the game felt challenging but beatable in a reasonable amount of time.

That looks a nice balance of souls you get, its certainly more in line with the game and different levels depending on the enemy you face.

The Symbol of Avarice

Armour Upgrade

When worn, after defeating an encounter, you may draw one treasure card.

At the beginning of your activation you can only regain one stamina. You then suffer one point of damage.

Sorry for the doublepost but I think that belongs rather in this topic area

I have experimented a little with the soul rewards and came to this result:

The idea is that when you start with less sparks, you get more souls (to reduce the grind).
However, the soul's reward is reduced for the boss if you lose a spark.

The numbers in brackets mean the following:
I had the idea that it would be a bit more exciting to get more souls for more difficult encounters.
The easiest way was to get fewer Souls for the closest encounter, and for the most distant encounter the most.

(04/08/16)

At the closest encounter you get four souls

The furthest encounter gives sixteen souls.

The other two Rooms gives 8 Souls

Berechnung.PNG

I just posted this in another topic but I'll report it here:

Personally my group (3 only) stick with the variation of Levels 1 to 3. However we determine Soul count based on monster stats, for example: Hollow Soldiers +2, Silver Knights +3, Sentinels +4. 

Bosses, mini or main, grant you +8 souls. 

Because Solo players are given 16 souls to start with I was thinking coop players should also get souls instead of having nothing. I suggested to my group that 2 souls should be added to the cache for each player at the start of the game. 

Also you get the souls after killing each enemy, not at the end of the encounter. 

Haven't tested this yet, but should make the game more interesting... This is for campaign play, can be modified for normal play.

• Resting at the bonfire:
    • Shuffle and re-draw all encounter cards
    • Raise the encounters lvl after resting max spark times
      • This can include dieing if you need the extra challenge
      • You can choose to level encounters that are already at 3 by adding a lvl 1 encounter to make it lvl 4 etc.
        • Keep the barrels/ chests/gravestones/traps from the main encounter card and add everything thats missing (lets say the primary terrain node is empty and there are no traps, add those from the second card if it says so  PS: You can't overlap and make duplicates)
        • Add enemy's to spawn nodes from the main encounter card and up to 2 enemy's from the second card for a total of 3 (starting from left to right for the second card)
    • After the first encounter with the boss don't re-draw encounters anymore (chests will stay open, traps will stay on the same node etc. as per usual rules)
  • When you die:
    • Only re-draw the encounters that you finished before dieing (id you die to the boss just reset the encounters, no re-draw)
  • Common treasure deck:
    • 36 normal treasure cards
    • 4 ember cards
    • All normal class treasure cards for picked characters
    • Costs two souls per card
  • Legendary Treasure deck:
    • 12 shards
    • 8 normal spells
    • After defeating a boss add 5 random legendary treasure cards, add that boss's treasure cards, add all transposed treasure for picked characters
    • Costs 4 souls per card
  • Treasure chests:
    • Draw 2 cards from common treasure deck or
    • Draw 1 card from legendary treasure deck

If there's anything you'd like to change or add let me know, maybe we can make this better somehow...

Played a couple of times and can't wait to play more. First time we played with no house rules and it made the game incredibly difficult and grindy. We could barely do any damage against enemies with higher armour and had an OP Assassin with magic, whilst very weak Herald and Knight had to watch from the sidelines.

In the second game we added a shop with 10 items. This helped us greatly when it came to getting gear, a little too much. I will definitely use the shop again but going to try with only 5-6 items available to choose from. Gearing was still hard and for the mid-stage of the game I was using a Silver Knight Shield as my primary weapon as a better alternative couldn't be found. This time it was hard for the Assassin to find an upgrade.

We also had it that the party gets 16 starting souls, regardless of party size. I think this is fair since it automatically balances itself as the party grows any way.

In the second game we replayed all the encounters before facing the mini-boss. I really enjoyed this, and we were able to clear it quickly, it had mixed reaction from the group. One other die-hard Souls fan loved how authentic it was, but the non-Souls player was confused and frustrated by it. Will decide how many souls to give out dependent on group make up to stop people getting upset at the repetition.

We also played it that you could use a spell or utility gear whilst it was in your backup slot. You can only have one backup item equipped. Made you feel more powerful when you could use a throwing knife then attack or a small miracle and still have your shield. I think this reflects 'quick actions' from the video game and made your turn more exciting.

I notice most house rules seem to make the game quicker or easier.  Does anyone play with a house rule that makes the game harder?

My friends and I, after having never gotten a full game with both rotations (Boss and Miniboss) done in a night have made it where it costs 3 souls to get an item, but you actually get to search the Item deck.

It's really made the game quicker, it's more authentic to the game, and so far it hasn't really broken anything due to the leveling constraint you still have to work around.

10 minutes ago, Slarg232 said:

My friends and I, after having never gotten a full game with both rotations (Boss and Miniboss) done in a night have made it where it costs 3 souls to get an item, but you actually get to search the Item deck.

It's really made the game quicker, it's more authentic to the game, and so far it hasn't really broken anything due to the leveling constraint you still have to work around.

Interesting idea.  :)
Are you worried it will result in "best in slot" builds where you always end up with the same equipment every game? Once you find an exceptional combination of items it'll be hard to resist going for that every time.

1 minute ago, Ashraam said:

Interesting idea.  :)
Are you worried it will result in "best in slot" builds where you always end up with the same equipment every game? Once you find an exceptional combination of items it'll be hard to resist going for that every time.

I think it may lead to that *now*, but after the Character Expansion I don't think so. Each of the classes offers something unique enough that while certain characters would LOVE certain items, those items are only available on a different class; the Knight with Tiny Being's Ring and Lothric's Holy Sword requires that someone's playing the Herald, which isn't a guarantee. Or a Warrior with Caestus and Hornet Ring or such. 

I imagine once the other classes get added (Mercenary, Deprived, Thief) it'll be even more diverse if only because the classes are picked less (Group of 3).

But honestly, I'm not really worried about "Best in Slot" builds. It's basically all that happens in the video games anyway :P

5 minutes ago, Slarg232 said:

I think it may lead to that *now*, but after the Character Expansion I don't think so. Each of the classes offers something unique enough that while certain characters would LOVE certain items, those items are only available on a different class; the Knight with Tiny Being's Ring and Lothric's Holy Sword requires that someone's playing the Herald, which isn't a guarantee. Or a Warrior with Caestus and Hornet Ring or such. 

I imagine once the other classes get added (Mercenary, Deprived, Thief) it'll be even more diverse if only because the classes are picked less (Group of 3).

But honestly, I'm not really worried about "Best in Slot" builds. It's basically all that happens in the video games anyway :P

Thanks, I was just curious.  :)

I'm one of those odd players that likes to try to make unorthodox tactics and gear work.   :D

I've came across a similar Idea of the 2 item decks (early game items, and late game items).

Two decks each one for a part of the game: before miniboss and after miniboss. The division is pretty simple, and it worked great when we gave it a try. 
Basically, every item that have at least a 24 as a requirement, goes to the "late game deck". The reason behind the number 24 is pretty self explanatory: the tier 1 stats are around 21 and 23. 

The playtest game was perfect, we arrived to the miniboss with the right equipment to face it evenly. The fight was perfectly balanced and super fun!

In previous games we had to overpower a single character to be able to equip what we found.. and of course it wasn't amazing for everyone. 

Anyway, the idea of @Danny of picking a card per deck when you find a treasure chest sounds very nice. I'll add it to the next game play :))

On 6/6/2017 at 2:03 PM, MechMage said:

I notice most house rules seem to make the game quicker or easier.  Does anyone play with a house rule that makes the game harder?

Not so much a house rule but I have just finished engraving my custom 'hard mode' blue and orange dice to remove my biggest annoyance in the game i.e. guaranteed minimum dice results taking a lot of the threat out. These ones all have one blank face so there is no auto-killing 1 wound mobs or guaranteeing that half of a boss' attack is blocked before you even roll.

3 minutes ago, Bob Hambleton said:

Not so much a house rule but I have just finished engraving my custom 'hard mode' blue and orange dice to remove my biggest annoyance in the game i.e. guaranteed minimum dice results taking a lot of the threat out. These ones all have one blank face so there is no auto-killing 1 wound mobs or guaranteeing that half of a boss' attack is blocked before you even roll.

I like that idea.  Did you add those swords back onto other sides to keep the total number consistent or is it a deliberate nerf to higher end gear?

24 minutes ago, MechMage said:

I like that idea.  Did you add those swords back onto other sides to keep the total number consistent or is it a deliberate nerf to higher end gear?

It's a slight nerf but only to the lower rolls on those dice. Basically my blue dice are blank, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3 and the orange are blank, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4 (so one 1 on the blue and one 2 on the orange was blanked). I think the average result on the blues has gone down by 0.2 and on the orange by 0.4. 

Here's the rulesheet I ended up creating for my houserules: 

Most of my changes are around just plain making combat and character progression more satisfying. While I also have suggestions for reducing playtime, I think some of the tweaks I've made have made the whole game more enjoyable for me, rather than ways to avoid or quicken playing parts of the game that feel like a chore.

Sad to see the game doesn't appear to have been received very well.  I haven't quite figured out if its an actual problem with the game or the same kind of reason most people don't actually enjoy Dark Souls.  I get not wanting to repeat rooms you've already cleared, but I guess that's something I sort of expect out of the franchise.

I do feel like the souls system is missing the point a bit.  In the videogames, they serve as a tension/push your luck mechanic.  I doubt retreating to the bonfire more often would help with the grind issue, but I wonder if a little too often the game is about dying to get stronger instead of dying to get better.  There are definitely times where I've felt the latter, and in those moments the game absolutely shines, but I'm not sure there's reliably enough options available for that to always be the case.

The best game I've had was when I had the Heal spell, because I could skill my way past things well above my weight class by watching my bar and knowing when to go into recover mode before pressing the attack again.  In most games you basically get 2 health bars and at some point the reds leave you out of options before they actually kill you.  

Souls and equipment fighting for the same resource also feels odd and out of place with the game.  I can't help but feel like there's something to be done there which is probably why its where so many people focus on house rules.  Maybe something as simple as a shop as a shop that's populated every time you clear a room (Lvl 1 = 1Black, Lvl2 = 1 Blue, LvL3 = 1 Gold) to help you dig through the treasure deck more efficiently?  

All in all though, it feels the issues I see are pretty common to the genre.  I have yet to see the dungeon crawler that packs the tactics and depth people are looking for in the desired time frame.  The campaign actually feels a bit closer to what people want in that regard, and maybe that's just the right answer to everything.

I'm reposting my house rule from a buried thread here:

I created a house rule for my solo DS1: The First Journey campaign that I've really enjoyed through the first two mini-boss runs. I refer to it as "aggro grunts." I track "party level" as the number of times I've upgraded attributes. In a solo game, grunts become aggro once your party level reaches or exceeds their threat level. Once grunts become aggro, they gain the repeat ability--i.e., they perform their behaviors twice per activation. They also activate before non-aggro grunts. 

It's a simple rule that adds a lot of fun, challenge, and variation to encounters that otherwise grow stagnant after a while. For example, after defeating the two gargoyles with my herald, I almost got myself killed in the first Tier 1 encounter of the Titanite Demon map, which would never happen under the standard rules. Ranged units quickly become more deadly. As you continue to power up, those slow and easy-to-kite hollow and large hollow soldiers start chasing you instead of plodding around hopelessly. In my opinion, it works very well with Tier 1 and Tier 2 encounters--they are definitely more difficult and you'll die more often, but they aren't unfair. I think it's more fun. I haven't begun the O&S phase of the campaign, so I can't say how well it will work with the Tier 3 encounters yet.

Side note #1: I use all the standard soul rewards as stated in the rulebook. I find that, once the T1 and T2 encounters become more exciting, the "grind" no longer feels like a grind. I enjoy resetting the bonfire and farming more souls, because the encounters evolve and increase in difficulty. I'm no longer just trying to rush through them.

Side note #2: To scale for multiplayer, the grunt threat level would have to be multiplied by the number of PCs. For example, in a solo game, the hollow crossbowmen become aggro at party level two. But in a 3-player game, they would become aggro at party level six. I suspect this would still work well, but I haven't tested it, as all my games have been solo. (My wife doesn't show much interest in playing the game...)

Ring of the Evil Eye

Armour Upgrade

After defeating an enemy, you may heal up to one point of damage.

Redeye Ring

Armour Upgrade

This player always has the aggro token.

Ring of Thorns

Armour Upgrade

Everytime this player dodges out or into a node occupied by an enemy, deal 1 black die of damage to that enemy.

I've come up with an idea for New Game +

NG+ will increase enemy HP by 1 point(per NG+) and boss HP by 2 points (per NG+), make encounters give 1 more soul (per NG+). Now in order to balance things out and prevent players from steamrolling the game will all the great equipment they obtained, players won't get to keep everything from the previous campaign, they will lose 1 level in all their stats, and players will only get to keep one piece of each of their current equipment, everything else will go back into the deck, including any upgrades on the pieces of equipment each player kept, players also get to keep unspent souls and their embers, aside from that, game setup will be the same, with players getting their starting equipment, and the bonfire sparks being set to an amount dependent on the number of players.