Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Calendar   07/14/2017

The new Event Calendar is live in the toolbar! Pundits can now log their upcoming events here so everyone can see what's going on in their area. Take a look, it will fill with more new things as the days go by.
Cyberfizz

House rules ideas

71 posts in this topic

There seems to be a lot of options for people to have their own house rules, i thought this could be a god place to start.

My first idea is to have the spark count not reset after resting at the bonfire and only in the event of dying. The spark will be for the spark of new life. To balance this, you can only grind said items for maybe 5 times and then they dont respawn (ala DS2) without upgrading the cards to the next level of encounter.

I plan on house ruling the souls obtained from bosses, the whole 2 souls per remaining spark thing is way too unrewarding for me.

Mini boss  = 3 souls per player

Main boss = 4 souls per player 

Mega boss = 5 souls per player

20 hours ago, Danny said:

Create a second deck containing all upgrade cards plus the following advanced weapons that nobody can use early game: Hard Leather Armour, Claymore, Silver Knight Sword, Great Mace, Greataxe, Sorcerors Staff and the Zweihander. charge 2 souls per purchase on this deck, since you'll only need to buy items from here once you're pretty kitted out already.

When you beat the miniboss, add the “late game” class items items to the rest of this deck of late game items, along with the legendary cards. Poof! The average stat cost of items to players is reduced, and the deck becomes rewarding, which means more fun and more exciting.

This should speed up the early game, and still give an incentive to farm through the second set of encounters if you feel you still need more gear after defeating the miniboss.

I'll add to this as well: for chests, choose to draw 2 cards from the common loot pile, or 1 item from the uncommon loot pile.

@Replect

I know, but for me, weapons and armor aren't the most valuable thing, even in the video games I value souls over all else, because you need souls in order to use any of that new equipment.

I'll figure out how much this house rule may or may not break the difficulty once I actually get my hands on the game, I definitely want the difficulty scaled down a little bit though, mainly because my gaming group is a bit... fragile I guess you could say.

For the boss soul rewards, I'm thinking the usual 2 per player plus the stated amount for a boss. Mini or otherwise, in the vg they give substantially larger souls payouts than normal encounters so I'm thinking combining the two is a good start.

For all the talk of unequipable gear, you can pretty much put anything on in the vg, then if you can't use it you get severe penalties based on how far from the proper stats you are. I'm wondering if there's a good way to house rule that into the game. (Marking the stat sheet with red blocks on those stats you're short on for a start, but not sure how the penalties themselves would work...overburdened with no free movement? -1+ attack/defense depending in gear type? And can't infuse upgrades until you can properly equip it?)

Another idea to make the game slightly easier, though not necessarily faster, would be to build bigger maps leading to each boss. More encounters = more souls per reset.

9 minutes ago, Ashraam said:

Another idea to make the game slightly easier, though not necessarily faster, would be to build bigger maps leading to each boss. More encounters = more souls per reset.

That's what I was going to do, I was just going to use all of the encounter tiles instead of just 4.

2 hours ago, CuriousAI said:

Embers

Whenever the players receives an Ember card, they may keep it in their personal inventory: no need to use it immediately. An Ember card may be activated anytime: discard a card and place an Ember token on the character board. While a character has an Ember token, if that character suffers 3 or more damage from an attack, reduce the damage by 1. If an Ember card is activated during an encounter, remove all black and red cubes from the endurance bar.

Treasure Shop

Starting with the player with the First Activation token, the players may purchase desired treasures from the Treasure Shop by spending souls from their personal soul cache. Spent souls are discarded. After all the purchases are completed, purchased treasure cards are replaced with new ones: draw the same number of top cards from the Treasure Deck, reveal them and put them in place of just purchased cards. From now on, these treasure cards may be purchased as well during follow-up visits. The players may purchase treasures from the Treasure Shop only if their character meets stat requirements of that particular item.

the activation order will be:

1. Silver Knight Swordsman (threat level 7);

2. Character 1 (with the First Activation token);

3. Large Hollow Soldier (threat level 6);

4. Character 2;

5. Silver Knight Greatbowman (threat level 3);

6. Character 3;

7. Silver Knight Swordsman (threat level 7);

8. Character 4;

9. Large Hollow Soldier (threat level 6);

10. Character 1;

I think being able to hold onto embers, and particularly be able to use them as a recovery item, is a fantastic idea.

The shop rules sound good, however it will still be statistically possible to have an entire shop of upgrades, or end game items (or a combination of both) only, so I would recommend adding a somewhat expensive cost to shuffle those cards back into the deck and refresh the lineup completely.

The activations:

I think you'll find this will make the game really easy with your current rules. You'll see when you play, combat feels very balanced already right now.

Finally, just curious: are their people in your gaming group who don't like to share, or hog resources in games? There's a lot of modifications in there to have personal souls, personal inventories etc. in a fully co-op game, but they all still let you share if you want :P

EDIT: Forgot about another house rule I've included: Beat a boss, miniboss or mega boss and everyone gets an Ember! Feels much more souls-like this way (although it makes the game a little easier.)

28 minutes ago, Ashraam said:

18 minutes ago, ricoratso said:

That's what I was going to do, I was just going to use all of the encounter tiles instead of just 4.

Hope you guys have big tables. Seriously lol

Dark Souls: The Boardgame is the first boardgame I've struggled to fit on my table using just the four exploratiom tiles + the 2 tiles for the boss and firelink shrine. My table is pretty darned big, too.

Oh boy, I just remembered i purchase the extra tile set add-on o.0 I'm gonna need to buy a box just for exploration tiles o.0

Also, I just noticed I double posted. Sorry!

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Hope you guys have big tables. Seriously lol

Dark Souls: The Boardgame is the first boardgame I've struggled to fit on my table using just the four exploratiom tiles + the 2 tiles for the boss and firelink shrine. My table is pretty darned big, too.

Oh boy, I just remembered i purchase the extra tile set add-on o.0 I'm gonna need to buy a box just for exploration tiles o.0

Also, I just noticed I double posted. Sorry!

Have you ever seen the World of Warcraft board game with both expansions? THAT'S the biggest game I have ever tried to fit on a table, and we built one foot extensions for each head of the table. If you've never seen that game 

Image result for world of warcraft board game

1 minute ago, ricoratso said:

Have you ever seen the World of Warcraft board game with both expansions? THAT'S the biggest game I have ever tried to fit on a table, and we built one foot extensions for each head of the table. If you've never seen that game 

Holy... o.0

Yeah ok, that one's pretty big! I'm rocking a 5.5ft x 3.5ft table which I bought in anticipation of Dark Souls... and it's just about able to comfortably sit the boards alongside the tokens and models within easy reach. Assuming those cards aren't minicards like Dark Souls that table must be a behemoth!

Just now, Danny said:

Holy... o.0

Yeah ok, that one's pretty big! I'm rocking a 5.5ft x 3.5ft table which I bought in anticipation of Dark Souls... and it's just about able to comfortably sit the boards alongside the tokens and models within easy reach. Assuming those cards aren't minicards like Dark Souls that table must be a behemoth!

That isn't specifically my table, but the armor and cards on the player sheets are as small as the mini cards for dark souls, but the other cards next to them are bigger or as big as regular playing cards. The game has about 170 minifigures, over like 1000 cards or some shit like that, and well over a hundred tokens. The game is massive and absolutely incredible. IF you;re familiar with Fantasy Flight Games and their game "legacy" this is their child.... their large, confusing, incredible child.

Just now, ricoratso said:

That isn't specifically my table, but the armor and cards on the player sheets are as small as the mini cards for dark souls, but the other cards next to them are bigger or as big as regular playing cards. The game has about 170 minifigures, over like 1000 cards or some shit like that, and well over a hundred tokens. The game is massive and absolutely incredible. IF you;re familiar with Fantasy Flight Games and their game "legacy" this is their child.... their large, confusing, incredible child.

FF games are weird. I feel like I'm having as much fun as playing a normal boardgame, except there's a lot more to remember, more actions that must happen, more set up, more tokens, less space and the games take longer.

The time taking longer isn't an issue per se, except for when I've got limited time to play... But it's weird, I don't feel like the complexity adds any joy, but nor does it ever get frustrating, for that matter. 

8 minutes ago, Chud_Munson said:

Here's an unofficial game supplement I made that I'm planning on trying out when I get the game in that includes some of the house rules I think I'd potentially like: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1772599/unofficial-starting-gifts-accompaniment-rulesheet

I liked the idea of a starting gift, too. However, some of the class items you can get right at the start still require high stat investments. If my playtests of using 2 decks, splitting out upgrades and certain high stat items continues to be successful, I'll probably continue with that. Mostly the game feels fantastic, I just want to lower the probability of a grind at the beginning.

12 minutes ago, Danny said:

The shop rules sound good, however it will still be statistically possible to have an entire shop of upgrades, or end game items (or a combination of both) only, so I would recommend adding a somewhat expensive cost to shuffle those cards back into the deck and refresh the lineup completely.

Yeah, I was thinking about something like that. Lets say, you can reshuffle the treasure shop for 2x[amount of players]. In addition, the treasure shop shoul be reshuffled after each boss slain. So I think such situation won't happen that often. :) 

The idea behind this rule was that I just personally don't like that you don't know what you buy.

16 minutes ago, Danny said:

I think you'll find this will make the game really easy with your current rules. You'll see when you play, combat feels very balanced already right now.

Probably you are right. I came up with these modifications back in January and haven't tested them yet (my box is still on the way :(). But I don't like that all enemies activate at the same time. It is illogical and makes the game longer. Also note, with these modifications, after each encounter you recover stamina ONLY. Health can be recovered only with estus, ember and healing equipment.

20 minutes ago, Danny said:

Finally, just curious: are their people in your gaming group who don't like to share, or hog resources in games? There's a lot of modifications in there to have personal souls, personal inventories etc. in a fully co-op game, but they all still let you share if you want :P

No, actually we love coop games and play as a good team. The intention was to add more personality into the gameplay. In such games, we often come across a situation when a single player with stronger personality become an "alpha player" and start to rule the game. Others start to lose their attention and become bored. Zombiecide is a good example. Half of my gaming group don't like this game just because of that.

24 minutes ago, Danny said:

EDIT: Forgot about another house rule I've included: Beat a boss, miniboss or mega boss and everyone gets an Ember! Feels much more souls-like this way (although it makes the game a little easier.)

Good suggestion. If the player already has one, (s)he doesn't get another one. With invaders this rule will make much more sense. :D

Played a game as intended a couple of days ago and a game with house rules today and preferred the flow of the game the second time. House rules included:

- x2 souls got after clearing room;

- half sparks (to offset the increased souls available;

- Item store, 5 face up cards available to pick from replacing as you go. This store can be burnt and re-drawn for 3 souls

In my next game i may go through treasure deck and do some pruning of cards not wanted (i.e. spell cards if running warrior and knight)

We also house ruled the bosses movement some, in some cases the boss turned away from us and swung at empty air which seemed dump. We changed it so the the boss always faced the person it was moving towards and if required did damage results before any turn movements.

Can someone explain if the boss attacks on the black segments?

Thanks,

14 minutes ago, punkycloud said:

Can someone explain if the boss attacks on the black segments?

Thanks,

The boss should only attack green segments, and that is only on cards where the "arc" symbol is on the attack. Some cards will just attack either the nearest player, or the player with the aggro card. These too, can still miss if you are out of range :)

42 minutes ago, Norintha said:

I personally have some plans for mega campaigns that will require many tiles. 

You've just reminded me of a half baked idea for a epic length solo campaign I considered back when the ks launched!

My original idea was to have some journeys that are just from one bonfire to the next, without any mini/med/mega boss encounters. As we heard more about the loot and leveling systems I figured that this would not be economical due to limited tiles, leveling and stat balances, limits on souls tokens etc.

However, looking at the current balancing I think it could still be very viable after all!

so: I would start by using @Danny's house rule on the treasure deck, creating a "common loot" and an "uncommon loot" deck. (yeah that's right, I tagged myself in my own post :P ) Since the campaign rules say 2 souls per purchase from Andre, I would double the cost of both decks. This will make upgrading your weapon to advanced gear a more expensive task, however the campaign will have some additional exploration ensuring you should be geared up by the time you need upgrades. lay out 5 tiles, all of level 1 encounters, and only offer 1 soul per room cleared throughout the game. at the end of the fifth encounter, you have reached your first checkpoint from the beginning.

Layout 2 could be the regular set of encounters for any mini-boss, except that the level 1 encounter(s) you include are cards you did not encounter in the last area. This means you'll get somewhere between 6 and 8 souls by the time you hit your first level 2 encounter. I don't want to go into spoilers around the probabilities you'll have found free loot by this time, but your odds are pretty good that you'll have some loot and some levels ready to progress into the level 2 encounters with new more challenging experiences ahead and less chance you'll need to grind before you can fight the miniboss.

Layout three, past the first miniboss, would follow the same low soul-income rule, with new expansions should come more encounter cards, so you should not have a problem putting just 1 level 1 encounter and 4 level 2 encounters onto your 5 tile exploration to the next bonfire. You could even theme these encounters (travelling through the burg, to the iron keep, to darkroot etc.) depending on what level encounters we get with these cards.

Layout 4 is one more Miniboss. Set this up as normal. By the time you clear this area you should have got some decent gear between chests, spending 2 or 4 souls per purchase from the shop (depending on the deck) and two sets of miniboss loot.

from here my knowledge of the decks gets a little hazy (I've not always encountered level 3 encounters on my playthroughs, so I'm not sure how many a player would be ready to face, or level 2 encounters past this point) I'm confident you'll be ready to go after some bosses at this point, but I think I'd need to do some playtesting before I could finish writing this. I definitely think I could expand on this further though, up to and including fighting your way through bosses and onto the mega's.

I can't wait to see what the co-op summon mechanics look like. Once I know how these will work, and how helpful they really are, then I'll be able to fully balance a campaign.

Ran last night with the lootstore idea and it all went pretty smoothly.  Having a larger base of cards availible that we could spread out and investigate every time  we re-bonfired was excellent without being too broken.  It only consisted of Tier0 cards + Class cards too which helped.

So after a full playthrough with some friends, I've figured out what house rules we're going to stay with from now on.

Level 1 encounters give 2 souls per player, level 2 give 2 souls per player +1, level 3 give 2 souls per player +2

Mini boss gives 3 souls per player, main boss gives 4 per player, mega boss gives 5 per player

After defeating a boss add 2 sparks to the bonfire instead of restoring the sparks spent

3 minutes ago, MaverickHunterLuneth said:

So after a full playthrough with some friends, I've figured out what house rules we're going to stay with from now on.

Level 1 encounters give 2 souls per player, level 2 give 2 souls per player +1, level 3 give 2 souls per player +2

Mini boss gives 3 souls per player, main boss gives 4 per player, mega boss gives 5 per player

After defeating a boss add 2 sparks to the bonfire instead of restoring the sparks spent

Not all the mega bosses are harder than normal bosses, so that could be tiny bit out of balance. (Vordt for example falls in the middle of his campaign from the sneak peak back on the kickstarter page)

So this is a mixture of collecting houserule ideas I've had/have seen suggested:

1) 3 Souls per player for tier 2 encounter, 4 per player for tier 3 
2) Bosses give some sort of base souls + extra for bonfire sparks
3) Some form of starting gift to spice up character creation - perhaps some fairly low-tier equipment people can choose from to boost their character when made
4) Bigger maps to make grinding less limited/repetitive

5) This is the one I'm most hesitant about, but when a character dies in a boss encounter, and a boss encounter only, the other players each get one activation to end the fight in. If they do, they don't go back to the bonfire, the other player gets resurrected, etc. However, I'm not sure if that makes boss encounters too easy or not