Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Fermorfan

Season 3 is not for Brewers

173 posts in this topic

I played in my second tournament of the year yesterday and so far I'm without a win. Admittedly I'm not the best player, in fact I'm crap. Still, a lot of fun was had.

My point is, in Season 2 when I began to play, my success rate was about 35-40%. Now it's 0%.

Have I got worse? Maybe. Are the other players I'm facing better? Perhaps. Still, It seems to be a very tough time for the team in tartan. Lots of other teams gliding around like Torville and Dean, pulling off dodges, bouncing up from knockdowns, sprouting dwarves from pockets and teleporting.

Is anyone else having a torrid time?

Woldie and BigRed like this

I am having a great time if you take all of my Teams and average them out.

If you only look at my Brewers then you can say I've been doing rather :(

There is no room for error on a Brewer's lineup as there is with footballing teams... and much of what you say is happening (dodges everywhere, movement shenanigans aside from dodges, non-ball dependent movement) are what Brewers don't have.

The end result is just watching people flip across the field and hoping that they get close enough to counterattack a KD effect on them forcing them to spend another MOM. so they can stand-up and do their thing anyway.

Here's hoping we get Lucky with something to stop that.

I don't think you're getting any worse, in fact you're likely playing just as good but the game has changed. 

In S2 Tapper squad, for instance, I could reliably get a take-out with one or two models, in S3 it can now take two or three activations.  That's a lot of resources for 2vp for the turn when a good football team will likely score a few goals in the interim. 

Ftw, you have to attempt a denial defense while murdering the weak, and know when to shoot on goal and when to hold 'em. I'm much more apprehensive about scoring goals; like a dirty joke, timing is everything. There's allways a kick-out and you're likely giving the ball back to someone who will score again immediately--at least you have to treat it as such. 

Trygle and Fermorfan like this

I must admit, I'm having a lot less victories with brewers since S3 myself.  I blame it on the lack of movement they have.  I blame it on the KD condition coming in second as a counterattack result (after a double push).

But still I'm having fun.

I haven't found a way to adapt to the game enough to have fun AND win.

The usual, defensive style of play I had is countered by the fast teams moving around my players as if they weren't there, or slowing them down even more so they can't get where they need to be.

Fermorfan, wrenwood and SCArmoury like this

15 minutes ago, Bob The Builder said:

The usual, defensive style of play I had is countered by the fast teams moving around my players as if they weren't there, or slowing them down even more so they can't get where they need to be.

Fiiiish! The ultimate Brewerbane. :-)

I wholeheartedly agree, though. You must have fun to play the Brewers. The Brewers are the best guild, even when they aren't. They are the reason I got into the hobby in the first place! ;)

I'm glad it's not just me.

It is a little frustrating, but there is still fun to be had. Challenge is all part of gaming I guess.

I have other Guilds I could take to events but it's just not the same. I really like Brewers and will persevere. I just hope they get a little boost at some point, to bring them up to speed (pun intended).

Trygle likes this

Not my Guild, but maybe you can kidnap the ball with high-ARM players. Maybe Mash, near Esters and with Hopper's Tough Skin, or Stoker also with Tough Skin. A 3 ARM player in cover makes impossible to a TAC 4 player to steal you the ball without a Charge. Besides, Mash has a 2" melee UM, which is very defensive.

Other form of killing the ball is using Quaff to walk away all you can. Take the ball, Second Wind yourself and flee 12" towards a flank (14" if you sprint, plus other MOV boosts you can get). It's influence intensive, but maybe you can get the time you need to get some TOs.

Fermorfan likes this

1 hour ago, Fermorfan said:

I'm glad it's not just me.

It is a little frustrating, but there is still fun to be had. Challenge is all part of gaming I guess.

I have other Guilds I could take to events but it's just not the same. I really like Brewers and will persevere. I just hope they get a little boost at some point, to bring them up to speed (pun intended).

Keep on persevering. Brewers are still a keg full of fun!

Fermorfan likes this

1 hour ago, FearLord said:

It's definitely possible to win with Brewers - Charles Nurser and Sherwin Matthews have both won events this year with them.

Oh, I doubt I'd win any events regardless of the team I play. It just seems to be much more of an uphill battle with Brewers at the moment.

2 hours ago, Petraites said:

Not my Guild, but maybe you can kidnap the ball with high-ARM players. Maybe Mash, near Esters and with Hopper's Tough Skin, or Stoker also with Tough Skin. A 3 ARM player in cover makes impossible to a TAC 4 player to steal you the ball without a Charge. Besides, Mash has a 2" melee UM, which is very defensive.

Other form of killing the ball is using Quaff to walk away all you can. Take the ball, Second Wind yourself and flee 12" towards a flank (14" if you sprint, plus other MOV boosts you can get). It's influence intensive, but maybe you can get the time you need to get some TOs.

Some good thoughts and ideas there, thanks. I'll try that at the next event

They have been shelved for me. 

I call it straight line threat that is just too predictable and not fast enough. They know where we are going to go and how we are going to get there. 

Couple that with something like Ballista. Even if he misses the turn one breach some part of your teammates getting shoved backwards and starting knocked down and further away. 

The rest of the team is earning momentum on ranged character plays ensuring he gets to keep his foot on the gas. Very quick and frustrating game. 

I've parked my Brewers this season for sure.  Shark's killing me, and there's not much I can do with it.  It used to be at least manageable when Tapper could go all in on first activation and remove a problem player usually.  Now, that's gone.  Pintpot is really solid, but it's not enough.  Brewers can't bash a team down faster they can score, assuming they can even catch them.  They can't hide the ball hardly against the likes of Shark, Greyscales, Siren1 or even Jac sometimes.  It's stupid.  Mash can try, but against 2'' melee everywhere on the Fish, he can't get far enough away to matter.  I'm done.  I'll wait til Season 4.  I have 4 other guilds I can play, and while Brewers are by far my favorite, I'm tired of getting kicked to pieces every game when it wasn't a problem I was having in Season 2.  Union or Alchemists for me, and as much as I'm enjoying Brisket3, it's probably going to be Union.

season 3 is hard times and we are definitely  bottom half of guilds right now. I don't think its all doom and gloom though. Saturday I finished 3 and 1 in an 18 person tournament. my only loss was to the Engineer player who won the hole thing and do to tie breakers ended up in 5th place. not a bad showing for my first tournament.

19 hours ago, Petraites said:

the only problem with this is the teams that give brewers the most trouble have 0 issues getting the ball in either of these situations any way even if all of this goes off without a hitch for the most part.  shark is just taking it and if not Osiren or corsair are doing it from range. Sakana has anatomical precision and access to weak point.  for engineers ballista is just going to KD from 8" away and see where the ball goes or velocity gets in there takes the ball on one hit and puts up nimble wile in cover with close control. the alcs can send in whatever kat is there and I'm pretty sure vitriol or Midas would still get it as well.  Mist actually gains a tac if you get to cover and only needs one hit to get away.

14" sounds fast but its not. shark by himself has access to 13" with enough to make an attack and 2" melee so he like 15" all the time. add the hag in for her movement nonsense and its not even close. for 3 influence ballista shoots the dog form 16" away.

personally I feel using all those resources and not generating momentum (which is what the brewers run on) is the biggest trap of all. all of this being said I can not beat my friends shark team for my life so who knows. I think I want a goalkeeper.

dtjunkie19 and Fermorfan like this

As much as I think Harry outclasses Benediction in almost every way, I hope he works for Brewers.  His ability to hoard a ball with 4ARM (plus tough skin from Hooper if you're desperate), stoic and poised makes him pretty awesome at hoarding. Probably better than Stave.  I'd be willing to try it. If I can hang onto the ball I have a chance. 

21 minutes ago, Jedianakinsolo said:

As much as I think Harry outclasses Benediction in almost every way, I hope he works for Brewers.  His ability to hoard a ball with 4ARM (plus tough skin from Hooper if you're desperate), stoic and poised makes him pretty awesome at hoarding. Probably better than Stave.  I'd be willing to try it. If I can hang onto the ball I have a chance. 

Except that 4 or 5 Armor lasts for one attack.

Jedianakinsolo likes this

46 minutes ago, Woldie said:

Except that 4 or 5 Armor lasts for one attack.

I'm ok with that, given his ability to counter attack.  Any more than one attack and it'd be kind of broken I think.  It's worth trying.  Bury him in a Brewer brick and force them to have to engage other players just to get to Benediction and give it a shot.  The only issue I have is that he'll struggle to tackle the ball back.

And yeah, Siren is still a problem.  Shark's the one killing me right now, but mainly because he can.  You're right, and I think as soon as I make Shark's life difficult, Siren will step in.

Personally I don't really have a ball holder, as soon as I get the ball it needs to go back into their goal before I lose it again. 

If I really have to leave it somewhere, Scum is a decent place, as is Friday with a nearby Spigot. My main gaming buddy favours Shark and I've played Brewers into him a lot and honestly the best tactics for me involve making sure I'm set up for a return goal and trying to kill 2 of them before Shark gets the third.

It's a tough game, but Esters fares a lot better than Tapper due to GM, speed boosts and an Esters team can have up to 3 Fire AOEs on the pitch at once. Same number that a Smoke team can generate. Abuse them against fast teams as much as possible. 

It probably won't stop a Shark/Vitriol/Scalpel first activation goal from kick off as you obviously don't have time to use them all, but you can get one out with your ball retriever and channel them to where you want them, spend more inf to get there etc. 

wrenwood and Ay3z1k like this

Ive said this since season 1, the brewers lack of mobility hurt, and as the seasons are going by, its really taking its toll. I will always have brewers as my number 1, however, im being drawn to look at my union now. 

Sad times.

I've played a couple of games with the Brewers, and I've been enjoying them. It's quite satisfying when you set up the take down (KD, Tapper, etc) and Hooper charges in to finished them off with 14 dice.

I still need to paint Esters, Pint Pot and Mash, but I'm going to take them to a tournament next weekend. I've still not played Esters yet (and I don't think I will before the tournament), but it'll be fun learning how to play her. Maybe a can start another faction :D

SCArmoury likes this

Not to sound overconfident of boasting but i have played 9 games with brewers and haven't lost. I have gotten lucky a few games but I have also won games 12-2, 12-0 and 12-6. Beating fish once, alchemist once, and union several times. To me It is all about the defense and using the ball for extra movement late in the turn. Brewers above all other guilds have to be able to win opportunistically by snagging the random goal that no one saw or the takeout ahead of schedule. It is ok to beat up on 2 people, that way at the start of the turn they can't heal/ stand up both of them so there is your prime target. Being able to anticipate moves by your opponent because YOU forced them into is a great feeling and makes playing brewers fun IMO. Also, you will give up a goal normally and you will probably give up a takeout as well, just know that the brewers weather the storm better than any other team and can therefore bounce back after a rough shark goal or fillet takeout.

Stay thirsty my friends! 

On 4/24/2017 at 7:02 PM, CurlyPaul said:

Personally I don't really have a ball holder, as soon as I get the ball it needs to go back into their goal before I lose it again. 

Do you play Mash, if not I have found he is excellent off to the side against fish players as it requires a lot of influence for shark to get the ball off of him. 

What are you doing with Mash to keep Shark off of him?  Shark into Brewers is like an 80%-20% in favor of Shark.  He's got the speed and 2" reach to not care about UM. He basically always gets the playbook results he wants against the brewers meh def stats.  And Sharks legendary is basically a full time walk against Brewers subpar speed.  And Siren and Sakana are both great at getting the ball back, so are a&g. And if the fish players is smart and just stays away from your deathball, i just don't see it.  I've played this match-up 15+ times and i honestly do not see how brewers handle it without unforced errors or catastrophic dice on the part of the Fish player.  (or a huge disparity between players skill)

wrenwood likes this

Mash at the edge of the pitch where the fish player is likely to kick off from means that he is likely over 15 inches from shark (if he kicks from the middle) which means they will have to spend the 3 to tidal surge after UM. It is not doubt one of the hardest games to play but it is not 80% win for shark imo. If shark scores first activation and doesn't knee slider you can still get to him through passing and times called. Placement of the ball after a goal might be the most key piece in this game. 

16 minutes ago, jmrhode1 said:

Mash at the edge of the pitch where the fish player is likely to kick off from means that he is likely over 15 inches from shark (if he kicks from the middle) which means they will have to spend the 3 to tidal surge after UM. It is not doubt one of the hardest games to play but it is not 80% win for shark imo. If shark scores first activation and doesn't knee slider you can still get to him through passing and times called. Placement of the ball after a goal might be the most key piece in this game. 

so your saying to take mash solely on the premise that the shark payer will kick to that side and the ball will skater so that mash can retrieve it and get far enough away to cause him to tidal surge and then still most likely take the ball? mash moves 6", there are times on kick offs hes not even fast enough to go get the ball that's essentially in front of him. seems like an overflowing amount of eggs in one basket.

also capturing and killing shark usually is not an issue but when he comes back in and legendry's your usually in a bad way as a brewer