Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

noahsheck

Playing the Brewers

So, I am still fairly new to this game, and (so far) have only ever played using the Engineers.  The other day, as part of our Figo League, I played my first game against the Brewers.  Now, my opponent has a bit more experience than I, and he is a decent margin better at the game than me, which probably partially explains the results, but holy hachi-machi, they just ran right over me.  I darted up field with Velocity and scored, and then the Brewers just beat me my carefully organized Engineer Machine to death - almost literally.  I think one thing I messed up was placing Colossus and Balista fairly close together near the center of the pitch, I often use them as a sort of back-line, letting him make a big mosh-pit with them in the middle.  He just stomped a whole through all my nifty defensive tech.  So, how do others normally deal with games against the Brewers?

So I'm the regular opponent of the brewers player you played and I think i might have some insight into your opponent and into brewers. The first thing you should know is he gets alot of practice against Shark, which is basically like training at 2G for brewers, so don't sweat the experience difference. 

First thing about dismantling the brewers is understanding what each model does for set up, and what they do for follow through.

So for example ospigot is a support model turn 1 where he wants to speed up his team and throw out tooled up. But after turn 1 he shines more as the best damage output on the team. 

Tapper on the other hand wants to try and get stuck in to someone turn 1 to win the mp race and do dmg but later turns he's more throwing out kd, extra inf, and putting up his aura. 

Understanding the order he wants to beat you up in helps you do alot to disrupt his chain of activations. 

You should also try to capitalize on the weaknesses of the brewers. The first is they just have shit def. Pretty much across the board they are 3+/1. All of your ranged plays should be very reliable and singled out or tooled up should help ballista remove enemies a quick clip. The trick to that is to take the non-momentous dmg and just get your kills in. 

They next thing they are terrible at is dislodging the ball. They have almost no playbook dodges anywhere. Friday is actually not that great at getting in, getting the ball, and getting out.  They are suceptible to counter attacks when they want to pick tackle or a play and cant freely choose kd or push. This frequently means their disruption tech is kd. So sturdy hoist can be a great place to park the ball while you try to get your own work done. 

Hope some of this helps. I know the least about engineers of any faction so im probably lite on specifics but understanding the order brewers want to go in a turn will go a long way to stopping them. 

noahsheck likes this

Well, for starters, never play Hoist. She's terrible.

No, she/he/it's great, and as a Brewers player I hate her/him/it immensely.  Ignoring the first Tackle and Knockdown both, plus tough hide and reanimate makes her extremely difficult to put in the Brewer attack plan where they KD then whack two or three times.  Reanimate means you lose the KD, and you have to do four damage against normal DEF.  Hoist is extremely difficult to kill or button down.

Really though, Engineers can be a problem for Brewers if you do it right.  Of the Footballing teams, Brewers probably have the best chance against the Engineers, but the access to ranged pushes and KDs can make it very difficult for the Brewer team to pick up the pace and begin scrumming like they need to.  The counterpoint to this is that Brewers really like Colossus. Even with 2ARM, he's pretty easy to wrap against on the charge, and he's immediately KD and taking damage.  It's tempting to send Colossus up front, or try and score momentum, but if the Brewers have a high INF activation to go yet and they have range on Colossus, they're going to beat you in the momentum race, go first, and kill Colossus.  This was a bigger problem for Engineers in S2 when Colossus came on with next to no health, but now that he comes back on at half, it's a little better.  Even then though, the turn a Brewer catches the guy, they're winning the momentum race, hands down.  Colossus will not get a counter attack.  Tapper, Spigot1 and Hooper are all very bad news for Colossus.

Compound isn't bad against them, mainly because it's not often a Brewer gets back there to score and it's made more difficult by the countercharge.  I dislike facing Compound, but he's manageable.  

Mother is another big problem for Brewers.  Her ability to just drop nests everywhere, engage players, and drop Brewer TAC casually is annoying as hell.  I'll take the other dude blowing up any day of the week.  Couple that with Hoist's ability to take Burrow from her and now it's impossible to cage him in.  It just won't happen.

Against Brewers, just don't fight them.  They'll beat you.  But they can't catch you unless you're playing Colossus.  Mother, Hoist, Velocity (another difficult to manage model) and Ballista all cause large problems for Brewers in that the 2 strikers are nearly impossible to kill, Ballista can Deadbolt guys like Tapper and Hooper who have a 5/7 MOV, and Mother can tarpit the living daylights out of the scrum.  The last two are up to you.  Idk anything about Locus. Ratchet's never bothered me, but his blast earth is good for control, especially if the Brewers player is having a hard time getting momentum.  Just be sure to spend the momentum you do get to keep Hoist and Velocity healed since a single "Take a Breather" or "Come on mate" brings back almost half of their health.

When I fight Engineers, I find Colossus, and I farm him for momentum that allows me to use my heroics and catch other players.  I'm going to attempt to kill 4 times and score maybe once.  This means I have to kill Colossus probably twice, maybe three times (I've done it), and Ballista or Pin Vice once or twice before scoring.  If Colossus isn't here, it's going to be whatever non-Hoist or Velocity model I can find.  If the opportunity arises, I'll go after Velocity, but with Hoist, I'm almost better off trying to push her off the board.

Hope that helps.

noahsheck likes this

36 minutes ago, Jedianakinsolo said:

No, she/he/it's great, and as a Brewers player I hate her/him/it immensely.  Ignoring the first Tackle and Knockdown both, plus tough hide and reanimate makes her extremely difficult to put in the Brewer attack plan where they KD then whack two or three times.  Reanimate means you lose the KD, and you have to do four damage against normal DEF.  Hoist is extremely difficult to kill or button down.

Hoist does not ignore the first Tackle. ;)

AllElf and Jedianakinsolo like this