Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AVGVSTVS

The very first review of the game is up!

49 posts in this topic

And just as a side comment, not everyone liked the video game either, people found it too hard and not rewarding enough. I'm super excited to jump into a few rounds of the board game.

1 hour ago, Kethith said:

I was reading the Polygon review and I found this funny:

He says, "But, unlike the video game, skill doesn’t matter as much here." 

And shortly follows that by saying, "Making matters worse, if you are not exacting and precise in your play at every step of the way you may never face the final boss in battle."

Is that not skill mattering quite a lot here? Those seem pretty contradictory.

Heh, it's Polygon, who cares.

I honestly don't know why this "skill affaire" is even a thing in some comments and reviews. What did they expect, a board game with no random elements and a real-life mechanic to simulate parries and dodges?

The polygon review is here: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/4/21/15382634/dark-souls-the-board-game-review

About the minis he says:

I held back this review a few hours to get the lay of the land, and it seems that I am so far the only reviewer unsatisfied with the quality of the miniatures. They’re detailed, they’re massive, but they’re also a bit soft. That’s in part to prevent breakage, but mine arrived with a few extremely droopy weapons. Several of the multi-part boss miniatures weren’t glued together correctly, leaving hands and feet detached from the base or canted off at odd angles. The finer details on a few of the smaller models, way out at the thin edges, were obscured or lost entirely in several places on my set.

Not really, I don't think he's pit to do a hit piece and I think posting a bunch of images along with his mostly negative review might give a...worse impression than intended? 

Like, it sounds like the game is just more not his cup of tea rather than intrinsically being a bad game which is fine! Bit of guess he wanted to strike a balance. Certainty don't think he's making it up. I've definitely seen a  fair few Ornstein models with a bent hammer handle from the weight. 

46 minutes ago, Goseki said:

I've definitely seen a  fair few Ornstein models with a bent hammer handle from the weight. 

*Smough

Yes, bent parts seem to be pretty common. I've also seen a lot of seamlines. Luckily both problems should be easily fixable with a bit of work.

1 minute ago, Goseki said:

Hah, Smough indeed! How would you suggest fixing his hammer? 

Hold it under hot water to soften the plastic, then hold the weapon the way you want it, and hold it under cold water to shock the plastic into holing the new shape.

You don't think it will just bend again after the hot water cold water trick? The handle just can't support the weight of the hammer. I was thinking about using a dremmel to replace the handle with a piece of metal. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Kethith said:

You don't think it will just bend again after the hot water cold water trick? The handle just can't support the weight of the hammer. I was thinking about using a dremmel to replace the handle with a piece of metal. Thoughts?

Maybe... but i think it might have been still hot/soft when it was taken out of the mold and drooped as it cooled.

Sen likes this

5 minutes ago, Gervill Froad said:

Maybe... but i think it might have been still hot/soft when it was taken out of the mold and drooped as it cooled.

At the very least, it's worth a try.

Gervill Froad likes this

I'm not sure if that will really bother me all that much and I'm not a big miniature guy, but there is nothing that could really go wrong with that hot/cold water method? (In case I'll give it a try - if there is something bend) :)

The hot water bath is a very common method to fix miniatures that arrive bent or warped. It won't damage the minis as long as you don't use boiling water or leave them too long.

15 or 20 seconds in water that has been heated in a pan then pulled off the heat when it starts to bubble (Not boil) is enough to soften the material. You can even sometimes do it with water from the tap if your heater gets hot enough.

In minor cases the plastic will resume it's intended shape without any further help. Just dunk the mini in some ice water and you're done. 

Other times you may need to help bend the mini into shape a bit before the cold water treatment. 

Replect, Bonko, squirtis and 2 others like this

30 minutes ago, Norintha said:

Personally, I may have watched the MvM review a few times to peek at the cards being shown off in the background.

I think we all did ;)

On April 21, 2017 at 3:00 AM, Goseki said:

Fantastic review, ut was great to see some if tg cards and models up close. After all the fuss I think the Dancer has still ended up looking awesome. 

It's good thst there is only one blank face on the die too, they're right that in a game that's already difficult l, it would likely be too frustrating to be able to miss completely often. 

Still not sure how I feel about the encounter being over if just one person dies though. 

Sorry if someone else already responded, but I couldn't find anybody that did. I just want to respond to the last bit of your message. In the games, when having phantoms in your game to help you fight bosses or trash, if you die they all dissapear and go back to their world, so I took that and translated it here as in your partners are phantoms so if one dies, you all get sent back. Not exactly an answer, but I think it's a fair way to get rid of "knock outs" which aren't very fun in board games.

2 hours ago, ricoratso said:

Sorry if someone else already responded, but I couldn't find anybody that did. I just want to respond to the last bit of your message. In the games, when having phantoms in your game to help you fight bosses or trash, if you die they all dissapear and go back to their world, so I took that and translated it here as in your partners are phantoms so if one dies, you all get sent back. Not exactly an answer, but I think it's a fair way to get rid of "knock outs" which aren't very fun in board games.

You can house rule it, so that the player with first activation token is a "host" and others are "phantoms". So the party goes back to bonfire only if the player with the first activation token dies. If others will die, they will reappear after the encounter.

I such a way, in each encounter there always will be a new "host". 

43 minutes ago, CuriousAI said:

You can house rule it, so that the player with first activation token is a "host" and others are "phantoms". So the party goes back to bonfire only if the player with the first activation token dies. If others will die, they will reappear after the encounter.

I such a way, in each encounter there always will be a new "host". 

Alex commented on this I believe, he said from playtestesting it encouraged just hiding the host in a corner while everyone else did the fighting

CuriousAI, ricoratso and Replect like this

34 minutes ago, Entrox Licher said:

Alex commented on this I believe, he said from playtestesting it encouraged just hiding the host in a corner while everyone else did the fighting

Yeah perhaps everybody imagines themselves as the host and then maybe it'll make sense. But yeah I'm just going to stick with the rules because to me it encourages a healthy board game aspect of not letting someone sit out if they die

42 minutes ago, ricoratso said:

Yeah perhaps everybody imagines themselves as the host and then maybe it'll make sense. But yeah I'm just going to stick with the rules because to me it encourages a healthy board game aspect of not letting someone sit out if they die

Exactly!  SFG has put soooo much thought into all of this, and I for one trust their judgment on this and a lot of other things that have been tweaked and changed around.  I really do think they know what they're doing with this, and have made the decisions they have as the result of rigorous playtesting.  Can't wait to get my hands on it!

ricoratso and Bonko like this

10 hours ago, Entrox Licher said:

Oh, right, I forgot about that. 🙃 

I understand why they did it, it just seems that certain classes will suffer horribly unless they get lucky. 

Has anyone seen any more reviews? 

One thing to keep in mind is that players can choose who gets attacked by a mob in many cases. So havig a cumulative health pool is a real thing, in a sense.

3 hours ago, Goseki said:

I understand why they did it, it just seems that certain classes will suffer horribly unless they get lucky. 

Has anyone seen any more reviews? 

Still just the four we have, so far.