Welcome to Steamforged Games Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mako

Calendar   07/14/2017

The new Event Calendar is live in the toolbar! Pundits can now log their upcoming events here so everyone can see what's going on in their area. Take a look, it will fill with more new things as the days go by.
ncw103

Keeping Brick Safe and Viable

Hi everyone, 

My current team to focus on is Masons, I dusted off my kick off team for a teaching game and found them to be a ton of fun and have not looked back since. 

That being said I currently have/have been using just the kick off team. I see brick's role in the team as a 2 inf battery which still contributes board control for no influence, although I worry he is a bit easy to control with character plays. The most common example I am thinking of is just hitting him (being an easy 2+ to hit) with a fire AOE already brings his slow jog (and counter charge) speed down. How do you deal with this in games? 

I have read that he likes to stay in the back a bit more protected. Is that the general strategy?

Also, for the kick off set is there a next model to purchase who fits in well? Would it be Tower? I just worry that a kick off team which replaces brick with tower would be very starved for influence considering how much our players can do a turn ramped up (especially Honour).

Cheers!

-Nathan

From my own playing experience I try to push Brick further up the field now.  If he hangs out in the back, he can possibly deter players to go for tap in range, but I feel strikers will overcome this by using Brick as the stepping stone, bouncing off him and go for goal.  If he is middle of the pitch he can tie down enemies. 

I'm using Brick more now and really enjoying him.  If your opponent is looking to slow him down by using burn, they are using their resource do to that as well.  Only headache with Brick is against Smoke's alchemist team as you will need to look at ways to clear most of your models conditions, once they play the condition game.  If that is the case then V.Harmony will be another option for your team.  

If you plan on getting Tower, he can be a replacement for Mallet.  Though I enjoy using the Kick-off team as Mallet offers the range and easy access to Singled Out and Smashed Shins.  Also Tower can be a good goal scorer, depending on the situation he has easy access to Momentus 1" push and knockback to get you into goal scoring range.  

My advice, get ALL the Mason models! 

Absolutely Tower as your next purchase.  He swaps in well for either Mallet or Flint depending on what you're looking to give up for him.

If you dont plan on getting all the Masons models and money is a serious factor I would suggest proxying a model as one of the other players for a couple games to see if you like them before purchasing. I would recommend trying Tower first, then Hammer to see how you enjoy his playstyle. Wrecker is also a great choice and never goes a game without contributing something for nothing. 

Regarding Brick as @naiconn1981 said, if someone is wasting inf to set him on fire thats fine because Brick is still doing his job. (Making ppl waste time and inf to deal with him and his charge bubble)

I don't bother doing much with Brick once they put serious resources into stopping his counter charge. You have better ways to spend and allocate influence (giving it to Flint/Mist etc. or to your captain). If he's on fire or snared then he still does some stuff. If he can just take a parting blow from a mascot or something and not be knocked down, do it. If they are tying him up with Fangtooth or some character with knockdown then either give him an influence and use knockback to push them away or just let them stand there.

I mainly use him to protect Hammer or whoever kicked off from being charged turn 1. It gives me greater control over the middle of the board as Hammer can threaten the majority of the midfield and he can't be damaged on a charge as Brick would just knock them away. If they send in someone to tie Brick up them I can gain 2vp's by having Hammer attack and beatback that dude or I can just push the stupid mascot out of bricks melee range with another character. Just keep Brick out of the threat range of dudes that can engage both him and Hammer during a turn 1 charge. It doesn't matter if he's charged turn 2 as he's resilient enough to  not die in an activation with the exception of like 2-3 fully tooled up captains, so the opponent charging him sets up a poor piece exchange.

edit: keep him about 4-5 inches away from the person who kicked off and is threatening melee violence turn 1 (and make sure they can't charge the person who kicked off AND brick). Turn 2, keep him either off to 1 side 5 inches away from you captain or about 3-4 inches behind your front line to protect the frontline from charges. Turn 3+ don't bother spending influence etc. unengaging him, just use his 2 inch reach for crowding out's and his defensive statline to gum up the scrum.

On 21/04/2017 at 7:00 AM, ncw103 said:

Hi everyone, 

My current team to focus on is Masons, I dusted off my kick off team for a teaching game and found them to be a ton of fun and have not looked back since. 

That being said I currently have/have been using just the kick off team. I see brick's role in the team as a 2 inf battery which still contributes board control for no influence, although I worry he is a bit easy to control with character plays. The most common example I am thinking of is just hitting him (being an easy 2+ to hit) with a fire AOE already brings his slow jog (and counter charge) speed down. How do you deal with this in games? 

I have read that he likes to stay in the back a bit more protected. Is that the general strategy?

Also, for the kick off set is there a next model to purchase who fits in well? Would it be Tower? I just worry that a kick off team which replaces brick with tower would be very starved for influence considering how much our players can do a turn ramped up (especially Honour).

Cheers!

-Nathan

1 influence is all you need on brick, usually - or zero. Position for counter-charges (free charge), or have him in combat, but 2 inf on him can quite often be wasted due to conditions such as youv'e highlighted. My main playing partner plays alchemists and does this to me all the time, however, in order for him to do that he has to get within 8", quite often putting themselves in charge range of any of my other players. And if not, Honor's quick time can move brick those extra 2" he might have otherwise missed.

Tower would definitely be my choice as the next purchase. That said, if you're playing alchemists/conditions games a lot, try v. harmony.